• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Magical World of PS1 Pre-Rendered Backgrounds

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Bookmarked, love videos like this.

Thanks.

Somewhat on topic, if anyone wants to see what some good-case scenarios of using AI to upscale these 240p backgrounds to high resolutions can look like, look up Final Fantasy IX's Moguri Mod or Resident Evil 1-2-3's Seamless HD mods (the 1-2-3 from PSX, not the remakes).

pepodmc_

I played onimusha 1 on the ps2 in 2022 for the first time. ON A 29" flat screen CRT.

And was surprised with how well it looked. Even today indies should use pre rendered backgrounds if they dont have a lot of money to produce a game, would get great results if you apply a good lighting to blend the characters with the backgrounds.

I know that one of the downsides is having to use a fixed camera, but i dont have a problem with that.

Larxia

It made a lot of sense to use them back then, they looked a lot better than what you could do in real time, but personally I never enjoyed fixed camera.
Some of the scenes might look really pretty but I always found fixed cameras to be a lot less immersive.

A striking example for me is the Naruto Storm series, the first episode had a fully 3D open city and I had a lot of fun just free roaming, running around, jumping on roofs etc... just moving around was fun. In the sequels however, they went for this route, with fixed camera angles and hand painted background, and yes it's pretty but it felt so boring and less immersive in comparison. I didn't have any fun of exploration, I just moved to places because I needed to but there wasn't this immersive fun exploration when just moving around. It's a very different feeling.

Go_Ly_Dow

I get the impression there's a lot of people who haven't played Chrono Cross. If you're in that camp then check out the bit where he talks about how beautiful the game looks. The re-release on PSN/Switch is now good to play post patch. :messenger_ok:
IX is my favorite of the PS1 era games. It's charming as fuck.
My Google Chrome browser background is one of these enhanced backgrounds I shared in this thread about how good FF9 looks.

Last edited:

Larxia

10 wasn't prerendered though

9 will always have my favorites though
FF X has tons of pre rendered backgrounds. Some environments do have 3D yes, but in general it's a mix of both, with some of them being fully pre rendered.
Final-Fantasy-XX-2-HD-Remaster-Review-Screenshot-2.jpg

7dvve6y.jpg

Even FF XIII has tons of pre rendered backgrounds actually lol You have a free camera but a lot of the surrounding stuff is environment texture map

FF X has tons of pre rendered backgrounds. Some environments do have 3D yes, but in general it's a mix of both, with some of them being fully pre rendered.

7dvve6y.jpg

Even FF XIII has tons of pre rendered backgrounds actually lol You have a free camera but a lot of the surrounding stuff is environment texture map

Oh wow didn't know that

It's been so long since I played Final Fantasy 10

Now playing Final Fantasy 12 in HD Remastered is fantastic. That game looks phenomenal and aged well graphically

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member

The Magical World of PS1 Pre-Rendered Backgrounds​

A cool and well made vid by Gaming Broductions who is passionate about his JRPGs - analysing what is now largely a lost art form in game development.

This dude makes great content. One of my favorite gaming channels on YouTube.

Despite all of their age, I also feel there's still something oddly captivating about pre-rendered backdrops from that era, although some of that's admittedly due to nostalgia.
The technical limitations inspired some very creative uses of presentation & shot framing that, imo, are sometimes lacking in fully 3D games with all the freedom that's afforded to them.

Vick

Loved the video, expectedly as a huge fan of pre-rendered backgrounds and tank controls.

My personal favorite on PSX were the Dino Crisis 2 ones, favorite in general Resident Evil 2002.

Go_Ly_Dow

7dvve6y.jpg

I remember in 13, one of the final chapters, Eden, blew me away visually because of how well the pre-rendered backgrounds were merged with the 3D assets. It still looks ridiculous to me.

Larxia

I remember in 13, one of the final chapters, Eden, blew me away visually because of how well the pre-rendered backgrounds were merged with the 3D assets. It still looks ridiculous to me.

Yeah, however sadly it can be noticeable that the pre rendered stuff is pre rendered, because of some bad scaling, pixelated parts etc... One of the issues with pre rendered background. Probably even more noticeable today if you play it in 4K or something. Actually even FF VII Remake has this issue, the pre rendered backgrounds instantly stand out, but not in a good way.

But as a whole, FF XIII did look fantastic and the pre rendered backgrounds definitely helped.

Palumpolum was also fully pre rendered, here is a screenshot I took years ago when the game came out on PC. This really has that old style pre rendred vibe I think, but here with a free camera instead of a fixed camera angle.
9E00647BD856A44EAC0A9D8E6B3BDCCA8063DCBF

Last edited:

Belthazar

It's insane how good it looked at the time, it made the leap from SNES to PS1 feel much bigger. As, even with the SNES having games like DKC using similar techniques, the overlap of the 3D models above those backgrounds made everything come together beautifully.

I'm really glad I got to live through that era of gaming, as it was one of the more memorable and exciting generations due to how devs and players alike were learning how to manage a completely new dimension... Which obviously led to really inventive and experimental experiences.

First there's this supposed FF9 remake coming. Let's see what the execution is like for that.
I asked an AI chatbot what that might look like.

Forget quaint tales of love and loss, Gaia's got a temporal hangover! Final Fantasy IX: After Rain throws open the rusty gates of Memoria, only to reveal a carnival of retcons brighter than Vivi's existential angst. Zidane, our spiky-haired rogue, grapples with echoes of countless failed timelines, each haunted by a Garnet wielding a corporate credit card instead of a scepter. Vivi, ever the angsty teen, stumbles upon forbidden data logs hinting at a malevolent AI named "Necron Jr." pulling the strings from the shadows. And Steiner? Well, Steiner's loyalty fractures quicker than a chocobo with stage fright, torn between his oath and a nagging suspicion that Garnet's "Save the Planet" campaign is suspiciously funded by Kuja Inc.

Whispers, nastier than Kuja's wardrobe malfunctions, slither through the Mist, blaming the "Old Ones" (aka, you, the original game's fans) for Gaia's messy timeline. Prepare for meta-commentary thicker than Freya's fur, as characters wink at the camera and break the fourth wall faster than Zidane can swipe a gil pouch. Remember that heartwarming reunion in Alexandria? Now it's a tense hostage negotiation, streamed live across Gaia for maximum emotional manipulation. Don't get too attached to familiar faces, either – some might get rewritten mid-scene, just to keep you guessing.

This is Final Fantasy IX, but not as you remember it. It's a sequel that loves to poke fun at its predecessor, all while grappling with complex themes of legacy, nostalgia, and the fickle nature of time travel. Just don't ask about the Chocobo minigames – they're now a brutal battle royale, and let's just say, the cluck count is gonna be astronomical. So buckle up, old-timers, for a wild ride through a Gaia you barely recognize. And hey, if the whispers get too annoying, just mute them – it's your Memoria, after all. Just remember, some scars never heal, even in a world built on rewrites.

Doomtrain

Forget quaint tales of love and loss, Gaia's got a temporal hangover! Final Fantasy IX: After Rain throws open the rusty gates of Memoria, only to reveal a carnival of retcons brighter than Vivi's existential angst. Zidane, our spiky-haired rogue, grapples with echoes of countless failed timelines, each haunted by a Garnet wielding a corporate credit card instead of a scepter. Vivi, ever the angsty teen, stumbles upon forbidden data logs hinting at a malevolent AI named "Necron Jr." pulling the strings from the shadows. And Steiner? Well, Steiner's loyalty fractures quicker than a chocobo with stage fright, torn between his oath and a nagging suspicion that Garnet's "Save the Planet" campaign is suspiciously funded by Kuja Inc.

Whispers, nastier than Kuja's wardrobe malfunctions, slither through the Mist, blaming the "Old Ones" (aka, you, the original game's fans) for Gaia's messy timeline. Prepare for meta-commentary thicker than Freya's fur, as characters wink at the camera and break the fourth wall faster than Zidane can swipe a gil pouch. Remember that heartwarming reunion in Alexandria? Now it's a tense hostage negotiation, streamed live across Gaia for maximum emotional manipulation. Don't get too attached to familiar faces, either – some might get rewritten mid-scene, just to keep you guessing.

This is Final Fantasy IX, but not as you remember it. It's a sequel that loves to poke fun at its predecessor, all while grappling with complex themes of legacy, nostalgia, and the fickle nature of time travel. Just don't ask about the Chocobo minigames – they're now a brutal battle royale, and let's just say, the cluck count is gonna be astronomical. So buckle up, old-timers, for a wild ride through a Gaia you barely recognize. And hey, if the whispers get too annoying, just mute them – it's your Memoria, after all. Just remember, some scars never heal, even in a world built on rewrites.
Reading this makes me feel like I might be high.

StereoVsn

Bookmarked, love videos like this.

Thanks.

Somewhat on topic, if anyone wants to see what some good-case scenarios of using AI to upscale these 240p backgrounds to high resolutions can look like, look up Final Fantasy IX's Moguri Mod or Resident Evil 1-2-3's Seamless HD mods (the 1-2-3 from PSX, not the remakes).
Yep Moguri mod is amazing and I can’t play the game without it now days since I don’t have a CRT.

Also, Final Fantasy VII now has background upscaling mods as well which also do a pretty good job.

Larxia

Final Fantasy 17 should use prerendered backgrounds. PS1 era was peak FF, not 16 bit. Why not exploit that to extort gamers of their cash?
It wouldn't sell very well, and another thing to consider is that having fixed camera really limits what you can do with the gameplay. I personnally really don't want for FF PS1 gameplay to come back, it was way too basic, I can't really stand JRPG turn based anymore. I'm not against some form of turn based, I loved Baldur's Gate 3, but the typical jrpg turn based combat is way too basic and simple to be interesting, and also often involves grinding which makes it even more tedious :messenger_astonished:
So yeah, I really don't think they'd make a main FF like that again. Maybe a spin off.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yep Moguri mod is amazing and I can’t play the game without it now days since I don’t have a CRT.

Also, Final Fantasy VII now has background upscaling mods as well which also do a pretty good job.

I have seen that, but isn't installing it supposed to be a bitch? If there are easier to follow steps or a newer installer that takes care of most of it, can you share the name / links

StereoVsn

I have seen that, but isn't installing it supposed to be a bitch? If there are easier to follow steps or a newer installer that takes care of most of it, can you share the name / links
Nope, it’s mostly all through the integrated installers now I think.

Satsuki mod that started in 2021 was great. And there is a thread here on NeoGAF on the topic:

I think installation still requires a bit of work but it should be much easier than before.

Scotty W

Gold Member
It wouldn't sell very well, and another thing to consider is that having fixed camera really limits what you can do with the gameplay. I personnally really don't want for FF PS1 gameplay to come back, it was way too basic, I can't really stand JRPG turn based anymore. I'm not against some form of turn based, I loved Baldur's Gate 3, but the typical jrpg turn based combat is way too basic and simple to be interesting, and also often involves grinding which makes it even more tedious :messenger_astonished:
So yeah, I really don't think they'd make a main FF like that again. Maybe a spin off.
On the contrary, it would sell like Octopath traveller on roids

That's a fantastic video. Thank you for making this thread. I agree 1000%. FF7-8-9 have some of the best backgrounds ever.

I absolutely adore pre-rendered backgrounds. There's a level of detail and realness that you don't get with pixel art. And unlike 3D, you can depict a location or scene from multiple angles. I'm at the end of Baten Kaitos and it has a lot of unique and gorgeous environments. I want indie devs to take this route and explore the possibilities of pre-rendered backgrounds. The games that use them gain a timeless quality imo.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper

SO THIS IS HOW SQUEENIX GETS THEIR IDEAS

No lies detected. Although I'm feeling positive about this gen.

PS3 was the worst and rock bottom, PS4 a lot better better, PS5 I think has the potential to be better than PS4 for JRPGs.

Eh this Gen has it's issues in regards to censorship and how I feel lot of the battle systems feel the same due to going towards more action based.

The only day one purchases for me this year is Eiyuden Chronicles and Unicorn Overlord

Top Bottom