• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Magicians series by Lev Grossman - Harry Potter meets Narnia for grown-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

x7iG3.jpg
0Xgf3.jpg
2Fxh6.jpg

I know there are some folks on here who've read these books. I wanted to do a thread dedicated to the series as I would enjoy discussing it with fellow readers, as well as potentially attract others to read them.

What is the series about?
The books follow Quentyn Coldwater who, when the series opens, is a brilliant but depressed high school senior living in Brooklyn. While going to take an entrance exam into Princeton, he ends up getting lead to a secret exclusive college for magicians. The books follow him and his friends as they learn about magic, life, and the pursuit of happiness (or unhappiness).

Who wrote it?
Lev Grossman, who is not only a novelist, but also TIME's book critic (he famously dubbed George R. R. Martin the "American Tolkien") and lead technology writer (he wrote TIME's Person of the Year 2010 profile of Mark Zuckerberg).

How many books are there?
Two, currently, The Magicians (2009) and The Magician King (2011). Grossman is currently writing the third (and presumably final) book, tentatively titled The Magician's Land. The book will likely release in 2013.

Why should I read it?
If you enjoy urban fantasy stories, then you will like these books. If you enjoy dark fairy tales, then you will like these books. If you like Harry Potter or Narnia, then you will like these books, as they draw heavily from both sources. If you are a geek, then you will like these books, as Grossman likes to include a ton of geeky references.

But I hate reading. What should I do?
You are in luck. Fox has bought the rights to the series, and is looking into developing it for TV. A pilot script has been written by Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz, who also wrote X-Men: First Class and Thor, as well as some episodes of Fringe and The Sarah Connor Chronicles. The early buzz for the script is very positive. The script is currently being reviewed by the execs at Fox. If they like it, they will order a pilot. If they like the pilot, it will go to series.

UPDATE 2/21: Fox has passed on the project. The writers are now shopping it to cable nets and/or film studios.

Spoilers
I'm assuming most people who will peruse this thread will already have read the books, but just in case we should probably tag and cover any spoilers. General impressions or thoughts on the books are fair game though, as is news about the upcoming book or the potential TV series.

Resources
Lev Grossman's Official Site
Brakebills College
Official Fillory Site

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I barely enjoyed the first, some of the dialogue is painful. Second is better, the two different narratives/timelines was a good idea.

None of the characters are likeable though.

Yet I will read the third book.

mjc

I've heard both positive and negative things about this series but I'm still kinda interested in trying it out.

Guevara

I enjoyed the first tremendously and look forward to (the paperback release of) the Magician King.

Yeah Quentin a moody adolescent jerk, that's pitch perfect for anyone who slogged through the middle Harry Potter books. The first interested take on the this genre I've read since...Phantom Tollbooth maybe?

gutshot

I barely enjoyed the first, some of the dialogue is painful. Second is better, the two different narratives/timelines was a good idea.

None of the characters are likeable though.

Yet I will read the third book.

I've seen this complaint before and I have to say, I don't really get it. Quentyn is angsty, but then, what teenage protagonist isn't? Alice is likable. As is Josh and, to a certain extent, Eliot. And Julia, may not be likable, but she is certainly interesting to read about.

So, the basic plot is almost exactly like Harry Potter?

The original premise is basically like Harry Potter, yeah. But the books go off in a completely different direction (mild Magicians spoiler:
Quentyn is only in school during the first half of the first book
)

Ceebs

They remind me a bit of Bret Easton Ellis meets magic. I enjoyed both books, but the ending of the second one
The stuff with the locked door, not the end of the flashbacks, as I thought that was a fitting end
was total bullshit.

So, the basic plot is almost exactly like Harry Potter?
Only as far as "magic school". The rest is total Narnia.

mr. puppy

Banned
these books are not good. the main characters are all a bunch of emo douchebags and there is nothing to relate to unless you like the whole kids going to magician school thing.

and then they all get to narnia land and it just takes a nose dive from there

I loved the first. It's definitely flawed but the premise and the world make up for that. Yeah, pretty much all the characters are shitty in one way or another but that's good. This isn't a damn YA novel where the good guys are perfect and have no personality flaws while the bad guys are comically evil.

The sequel is sitting on my shelf and I am going to start it once I finish this other book I'm reading.

gutshot

One thing I particularly like about the setting is that Grossman sets the story in the real world. That is to say, the characters have all read Harry Potter, they use the internet, they own iPhones, etc. The only difference is that there is no Chronicles of Narnia, and that is simply because Grossman has substituted it with his made-up series of Fillory books, for reasons that are clear once you read the first book.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I've seen this complaint before and I have to say, I don't really get it. Quentyn is angsty, but then, what teenage protagonist isn't? Alice is likable. As is Josh and, to a certain extent, Eliot. And Julia, may not be likable, but she is certainly interesting to read about.

Almost everyone is self-absorbed and selfish. Josh is maybe the most likeable but I almost forgot about him until he showed up in the second book.

Julia is probably the most interesting, but I don't know if I ever actually felt sorry for her, and that's saying something considering her story arc. But then I also never truly felt sorry for Quentyn and how he was treated by her.

Penny might have been closer to likeable for me.

And the explaining so many things through references got very annoying.

Also, the woman from the original book that sort of helped recruit Quentyn, she never figured into the second book did she? I wish they had brought her back.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I loved the 1st book despite it having some flaws. I get not liking all of the characters, but then again I'm not sure if you really are suppose to.

The 2nd book was good, but lacked something I can't pinpoint from the 1st book.

Aexact

I suppose it would depend on how much you can resist the urge to strangle Mr. Coldwater in his depressed moments (which seems to be his primary state of being) but it was a delightful romp through magical university misadventures. In that sense, it is like Harry Potter. More then simply going to the magical university though, The Magicians was more about what Quentyn (and the readers) would expect from if you were suddenly uprooted to find a hidden magical world you are suddenly a part of.

The absurdity of some of those expectations, even in an absurd magical setting, is a large part of the charm.

Combined with all that nerdy pop culture stuff made it a page turner, that's for sure.

The 2nd book was good, but lacked something I can't pinpoint from the 1st book.

I felt the same. Perhaps because the subversive nature of "I've made it to Narnia but it wasn't all I had hoped for" was fresher in the first? The second book introduces a different sort of quest but Quentyn seems to take the same approach to it. Like nothing was learned.

I picked it up because of the positive comments in the reading thread but haven't started it yet. Maybe tonight now that you reminded me I have it somewhere

I suppose it would depend on how much you can resist the urge to strangle Mr. Coldwater but it was a delightful romp through magical university misadventures. In that sense, it is like Harry Potter. More then simply going to the magical university though, The Magicians was more about what Quentyn (and the readers) would expect from if you were suddenly uprooted to find a hidden magical world you are suddenly a part of.

The absurdity of some of those expectations, even in an absurd magical setting, is a large part of the charm.

Combined with all that nerdy pop culture stuff made it a page turner, that's for sure.

Pretty much. The first book was in large part about how magic is not going to solve your problems. In fact, becoming a magician is the worst thing that happened to a lot of people in the book. Quentin always believed that "if" he just got through school or if he could just get to Filloroy, things would be grand, and exciting and have meaning. But of course that was never the case. Sounds a lot like college huh?

gutshot

I actually liked the second book better, but more because of the fleshing out of the world and its mythos, then the actual storyline (although I enjoyed that too). Plus
Julia's story was fascinating. I would love to read a book dedicated to just the magical underground.

Krowley

I started the first book in this series recently and couldn't finish it. I Didn't like the main character at all, and there are problems with the basic rationality of character behaviors/thoughts that were too severe for me to overlook.

gutshot

I started the first book in this series recently and couldn't finish it. I Didn't like the main character at all, and there are problems with the basic rationality of character behaviors/thoughts that were too severe for me to overlook.

Like what?

I'm a big fan of these two books and have promoted them heavily. You will not go wrong if the thread title raises an interested eyebrow.

bengraven

I started reading the first, but it read like a bad urban fantasy novel. Poor, cliched and groan-worthy dialogue and weak narration.

I still want to give the series a chance, seeing how hyped it gets online. Maybe someday.

I started reading the first, but it read like a bad urban fantasy novel. Poor, cliched and groan-worthy dialogue and weak narration.

I still want to give the series a chance, seeing how hyped it gets online. Maybe someday.

It would be nice if everything that was hyped online was free of those problems. But so it goes.

Co-worker got me into the books and i just read both books last couple of weeks. Saying the protagonist is unlikeable is an understatement, he is such, don't think I have disliked someone who is supposed to be the hero of a story this much.

Malajax

Got the paperback version of the 1st one for a dollar, but it's hard to go back to paper after having a kindle. I've been hearing a ton of different things about this series though. I guess I'll give it a shot when I have some time.

bengraven

Read a bit into the first book, the kid's POV was killing me.

Yep, pretty much. These days it takes a really really good author to write first person and for me to enjoy it. I guess I've been too ruined by 19th century literature.

It would be nice if everything that was hyped online was free of those problems. But so it goes.

Hey, at least I tried it and will try it again.

Tell that to the thousands who refuse to give anything a chance because it was "too hyped".

Hell, I even tried reading Twilight.

And hell, if I can stomach reading the Demon War Cycle, I can probably stomach this after a while.

Amir0x

Banned
the only part of the first book that was any good was that whole
tangent when they turn into ducks and fly south to that special magic school for testing.
I thought that was semi-clever, anyway.

Rest blew.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Co-worker got me into the books and i just read both books last couple of weeks. Saying the protagonist is unlikeable is an understatement, he is such, don't think I have disliked someone who is supposed to be the hero of a story this much.

Not that I don't think there isn't a failing in terms of character traits in this series, but I also dislike the fact that every "hero" has to be likable.

Crazylegs

I read 'The Magicians' awhile ago before I'd heard any hype and before I'd heard there were were sequels afoot. I simply picked it up on spec while browsing at a bookstore.

After a few chapters, my impression was that Grossman had thrown Harry Potter and Narnia into a blender and then added a touch of emo (Twilight?) for the darkness factor. I finished the book and thought it had its moments but, overall, it felt unimpressive.

I don't care that the main character was sort of unlikeable - a hero can be that way. But the dialogue was often dopey and the plot was plodding at times. In all, it just felt way too derivative - a bit of 'me too' effort in the genre. And I was right pissed off when I got to the end and realized there would be a sequel.

All that said.... I think a TV mini-series could work very well in the right hands. But I will freely admit that reading beyond the first book holds no allure for me.

gutshot

For me, I don't really need to "like" characters to enjoy a book. As long as the story and/or the setting is interesting, then that is usually enough for me. That being said, I like most of the characters in The Magicians well enough. I don't really get that complaint. But even if I hated them as others seem to, I would still enjoy the books as I just find Grossman's world interesting and the story is engaging (although there were some slow parts in book one, the second book seemed to have a quicker pace).

And of course, I'm really interested to see how it gets adapted to TV. I woulda thought they would try to adapt them into movies, as I could easily see each book being a movie. They will probably have to expand and add to the source material to get to a full 24 episode season per book.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well if you're gonna stick with the protagonist then he better be likable, otherwise you might as well not continue at all. Note that you can be a jerk and be likable.

mr. puppy

Banned
tangent when they turn into ducks and fly south to that special magic school for testing.

Rest blew.

you didn't like the
wolf orgy?

bengraven

Rest blew.

T. H. White kind of did that already.

But that's the issue. Lots of novels have unlikeable heroes and yet you keep reading.

Hell, George R. R. Martin is the king of making you hate his main characters, but still want to keep reading AND eventually like them.

Ice and Fire: spoiled aristcratic brat that turns on her family, child-attempted-murdering dandy, ugly dwarf. Fevre dream: the two POV characters are a massively obese, ugly stubborn man with boils on his face and a thick, tangly beard and a heartless, slave abusing ugly man covered in sores. Every short story of his seems to star a character you hate with a few exceptions like Ice Dragon. Few people walk away from them and go "ugh, I couldn't get through it, I hated the characters too much". Sure, there are some of us that are still not sure we like Dany or Sansa, but that's not my point...

You would think when he was reading all that Martin that he would have taken a hint.

Krowley

Like what?

Didn't see this question yesterday because I forgot to check back on the thread...

One issue was the way the main character was constantly whining early in the book about how terrible his life was, but there really wasn't anything that bad to complain about. He was a nerd, and the girl he liked was going out with his best friend; two totally inconsequential regular everyday problems that don't amount to a hill of beans. Certainly nothing bad enough to make you hate your life and want desperately to escape.

Harry Potter, for example, had it much much worse with his muggle family who made him live under the stairs in a closet, and he still didn't whine about it, which made him a more likable character. In this book, the main characters lack of likability wouldn't have been an issue if he wasn't meant to be sympathetic, but he clearly was.

The author did seem to have a knack for writing dialogue and I enjoyed the way he set up the basic premise, but I am very unforgiving when it comes to character issues.

gutshot

Didn't see this question yesterday because I forgot to check back on the thread...

One issue was the way the main character was constantly whining early in the book about how terrible his life was, but there really wasn't anything that bad to complain about. He was a nerd, and the girl he liked was going out with his best friend; two totally inconsequential regular everyday problems that don't amount to a hill of beans. Certainly nothing bad enough to make you hate your life and want desperately to escape.

Harry Potter, for example, had it much much worse with his muggle family who made him live under the stairs in a closet, and he still didn't whine about it, which made him a more likable character. In this book, the main characters lack of likability wouldn't have been an issue if he wasn't meant to be sympathetic, but he clearly was.

The author did seem to have a knack for writing dialogue and I enjoyed the way he set up the basic premise, but I am very unforgiving when it comes to character issues.

Fair enough. I guess I just wrote it off as typical teenage angst.

gutshot

Fox has passed on The Magicians pilot

So January is the beginning of what — in the accursed, eternally burning nation of TV-land — is known as pilot season. That’s when the networks pick some of the series they have in development and greenlight them, meaning they’re actually going to cast and film a pilot episode.

It’s an exciting time. Except if your series doesn’t get greenlit.

The Magicians show was not greenlit.

This is a hard post to write. I’m really, really disappointed. I also feel bad that I got everybody excited about the project, only to have it immediately fail. I promise you — and I can’t stress this enough — I wouldn’t have done that unless I had some very good reasons to think that the show would in fact be greenlit. In fact I’m pretty stunned that it wasn’t.

I guess those reasons weren’t ironclad. Or maybe they were ironclad but not, I don’t know, adamantium-clad.

At any rate, clearly there was an issue with the cladding.

I don’t have a lot of good information as to why it didn’t happen. I don’t deal with network directly, and even beyond that the networks are pretty black-box about stuff like this: they don’t give out a lot of detail about their decision-making process. It’s not beyond the realm of possibility that it has something to do with Terra Nova not doing as well as Fox hoped, so they weren’t anxious to go for another high-profile, high-concept, expensive genre show.

But that’s just speculation. I can’t imagine The Magicians would have been as expensive as Terra Nova. For one thing there aren’t half as many acceraptors in it.

Anyway.

From here the way forward for the show gets rockier, obviously. We’re going to take the script to cable networks. We’re also going to renew talks on the feature-film side. I can’t say I’m bitter about it. I wouldn’t have played my cards differently — we got exactly the right people and exactly the right script. It would have been incredible. It still will be, if we can get it to go somewhere else.

But no question, it’s a big disappointment. We had a really good shot this time, and it didn’t work out.

To be honest, if it means these books have a chance to end up on cable or even made as feature-films, I think this is a good thing. I never liked the idea of this being on network TV with it's long seasons and strict content restrictions.

Liked the first but not as much as I'd thought I would, because Quentin was such a douche.

Absolutely loved the second and third books, though. Quentin grows up and stops being such an asshole, they are more light-hearted overall, and just more fun and more moving. Really loved the series as a whole when I finished.

Ganhyun

Also, I guess I'll check the books out. The bump got me curious as I'd remembered seeing something about a show named this coming on SyFy. A quick check shows its this series.

Quentin complaining is part of the series theme, he constantly complains about what he has and how much better things would be if he had "X" and then he gets it and still isn't happy. It's a part of his character growth through the series finally accepting who he is and what he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom