• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Making of Sonic CD (strafefox video)

Kazza

While I agree with the video that the game made good use of the Mega CD hardware, I still think that they should have integrated some more ASIC chip powered scaling effects into the main levels. The only time it seems to have been used outside of the bonus levels and title screen is in that first level where Sonic is shot up into the air and you can see the Sonic sprite rotate. They should have added a few more flashy turning effects, maybe even have some rings spill towards the player when hit. The bosses especially had some rotating elements which would have looked even better if they had utilised the ASIC chip.

Watching the video got me thinking about a next-gen 3D Sonic game which takes inspiration from Sonic CD. Two main things:
1. Could the intro cartoon style be made into a 3D world, or would the Sonic design have to change too much?
2. With the added RAM and SSD, could the original developer's dream of unbroken transitions between past, present and future worlds finally be realised? It would be great seeing the scenery change as you travel through time in a 3D game, plus the exploratory style gameplay like the one used in Sonic CD would make a refreshing change from the boost gameplay of recent titles.

Watching this made me realise something: the soundtrack change in the US wasn't a decision from the creators of the game but some americans who thought they knew better than them and just replaced their whole work by theirs.
Thanks god we got the original soundtrack in europe.

It's funnier when you realise the jp soundtrack was designed for western audiences in mind as well...

To be fair, whilst I do prefer the JP soundtrack overall, I think Spencer Nilsen did a decent job with the US soundtrack and there are some tracks on there that I prefer to their JP counterparts.

I definitely prefer Sonic Boom to that ridiculous Toot Toot Sonic Warrior song for a start. Palmtree Panic Good Future springs to mind as another.

While I agree with the video that the game made good use of the Mega CD hardware, I still think that they should have integrated some more ASIC chip powered scaling effects into the main levels. The only time it seems to have been used outside of the bonus levels and title screen is in that first level where Sonic is shot up into the air and you can see the Sonic sprite rotate. They should have added a few more flashy turning effects, maybe even have some rings spill towards the player when hit. The bosses especially had some rotating elements which would have looked even better if they had utilised the ASIC chip.

Watching the video got me thinking about a next-gen 3D Sonic game which takes inspiration from Sonic CD. Two main things:
1. Could the intro cartoon style be made into a 3D world, or would the Sonic design have to change too much?
2. With the added RAM and SSD, could the original developer's dream of unbroken transitions between past, present and future worlds finally be realised? It would be great seeing the scenery change as you travel through time in a 3D game, plus the exploratory style gameplay like the one used in Sonic CD would make a refreshing change from the boost gameplay of recent titles.

They should call it Sonic SSD. 🤣🤣🤣

Super Sonic Dimension

RAIDEN1

Had they incorperated the tech that was initially outlined for the Saturn in 1992, and instead have the Mega CD/Sega CD as a 32-bit add on for the Megadrive/Genesis, then this add-on would have likely found greater success...instead of bringing out the jumbled up mess that was the Saturn...

Top Bottom