• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Making of Super Castlevania IV & Bloodlines (strafefox)

Kazza

Another amazing strafefox documentary:

A huge amount of fascinating new (to me anyway) info about the development of these two 16-bit action platform masterpieces. I've just watched the video, and the following sticks in my mind:
- how the Konami team had to start development of Super Castlevania IV on the NES, as they didn't yet have access to the SNES dev kit
- how Konami held a enemy and level obstacle design competition in a Japanese magazine, and eventually incorporated these into the Bloodlines game (
- info on lots of discarded concepts and level designs for both games (including screenshots and footage
- how IV was going to have multiple routes, but was cut back during development

There's so much more on the music design, cancelled characters... Anyone who's seen a strafefox video before already knows how good this is. Enjoy!

Kazza

I'm very late to the franchise, and only played these two in the last couple of years, but I can see why people love them so much. For now, IV is my favourite, but I think that's manly because it's easier and I'm not good at the game yet. Bloodlines, with it's additional character and increased difficulty, will probably overtake for me.

Both amazing games which still hold up very well today.

Last edited:

Belmonte

Wow! Outstanding video! Many production details I didn't know about, plus a lot of concept art. They did even made 3D art to make the video more presentable.

Bloodlines and IV deserve the attention. Legendary games.

I'm very late to the franchise, and only played these two in the last couple of years, but I can see why people love them so much. For now, IV is my favourite, but I think that's manly because it's easier and I'm not good at the game yet. Bloodlines, with it's additional character and increased difficulty, will probably overtake for me.

Both amazing games which still hold up very well today.

Me also. I started with SOTN and loved so much the franchise I finished all the Metroidvanias, one after another. Then, since there wasn't any new Castlevania to play, I tried the classics. To my surprise, I loved them even more! I didn't think it was even possible.

I finished Bloodlines only two years ago, more or less, and Super IV not too long also. The Snes game is great and deserves all the praise but between the two, Bloodlines gets my vote. The level and encounter design is one of the best in the series. It never gets dull, always an interesting challenge from beginning to the end.

Bar81

That was fantastic. A lot of info on Bloodlines that I was not aware of. Amazing game and with Drac X on the PCE my two favorites in the franchise.

I fondly remember impressing a former schoolfriend of mine with Super Castlevania IV's music while playing. He was intent on getting a Mega Drive at the time. I'm curious to this day if he indeed bought one in the end.

I didn't like Castlevania: Bloodlines at the time: it was way too weird (modern setting, etc.). But it eventually grew on me over the years. I really like the fast pace of the game (for Castlevania standards). A far better game than Castlevania: Rondo of Blood as far as I'm concerned.

Still, Super Castlevania IV remains my all-time favorite game in the franchise, and is in my Top 3 of Super NES games. The music, the atmosphere, the different approaches of combat and overcoming obstacles, the massive variety within stages, ... It is one of those games that feels like a long journey, while in reality it didn't take that long. It is also a great game to master (trying to race through it without getting hit once, knowing when to avoid or pick up certain items to defeat bosses, etc.).

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I only recently played Bloodlines, it was really good. Something about CVIV though is just amazing to me. I played the shit out of it at launch though.

Just shows you how far Konami has let the franchise fall... SMDH

SuperGooey

I love the quality of animations in Strafefox's videos. There is 3D modeling, strong graphic design, motion graphics, and over all great presentation that is beyond what most youtubers achieve. Great video, too.

I fondly remember impressing a former schoolfriend of mine with Super Castlevania IV's music while playing. He was intent on getting a Mega Drive at the time. I'm curious to this day if he indeed bought one in the end.

I didn't like Castlevania: Bloodlines at the time: it was way too weird (modern setting, etc.). But it eventually grew on me over the years. I really like the fast pace of the game (for Castlevania standards). A far better game than Castlevania: Rondo of Blood as far as I'm concerned.

Still, Super Castlevania IV remains my all-time favorite game in the franchise, and is in my Top 3 of Super NES games. The music, the atmosphere, the different approaches of combat and overcoming obstacles, the massive variety within stages, ... It is one of those games that feels like a long journey, while in reality it didn't take that long. It is also a great game to master (trying to race through it without getting hit once, knowing when to avoid or pick up certain items to defeat bosses, etc.).

Ranking's the opposite for me. SCV4's whip is way too optimal compared to other weapons, and it unnecessarily retains the pacing (would prefer to play as Maria here) given the lower challenge factor, in addition to being a bit long in the tooth for a single playthrough (I prefer the optional routes containing more alternate stages in 3 and Rondo). But yes, the trap design was pretty on point, perhaps a little too much so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom