• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Medium details and screenshots | Play in two worlds at the same time

Mista

Banned
The-Medium_2020_07-22-20_001-scaled.jpg

The Microsoft Store page for Bloober Team’s May-announced The Medium has gone live, revealing dual-reality puzzles and more on the psychological horror game.

Here are the details, via the Microsoft Store:
About

Discover a dark mystery only a medium can solve. Travel to an abandoned communist resort and use your unique psychic abilities to uncover its deeply disturbing secrets, solve dual-reality puzzles, survive encounters with sinister spirits, and explore two realities at the same time.

The Medium is a third-person psychological horror game that features patented dual-reality gameplay and an original soundtrack co-composed by Arkadiusz Reikowski and Akira Yamaoka.

Key Features

• Become a Medium – Wield unique psychic abilities reserved for those with the gift. Travel between the realities or explore them both at the very same time. Use the Out of Body experience to investigate places where your real-world self can’t go. Create energy shields and deliver powerful spirit blasts to survive the spirit world and its otherworldly dangers.
  • See What’s Hidden – Delve deep into a mature and morally ambiguous story, where nothing is what it seems and everything has another side. As a medium you see, hear and experience more than others, and with every new perspective you will change your perception on what happened at the Niwa resort.
  • Play in Two Worlds at the Same Time – Never-seen-before and officially patented gameplay that plays out across two worlds displayed at the same time. Explore the physical world and the spirit world simultaneously, and use the interactions between them to solve dual-reality puzzles, unlock new paths, and awaken memories of past events.
  • Enter a Dark Reality Inspired by Beksinski – The Medium’s spirit world is a dark mirror reflection of our reality, a grim and unsettling place where our unpunished deeds, evil urges, and vile secrets manifest themselves and can take on a form. This world has been invented and designed under the inspiration of Zdzisław Beksinski’s paintings, Polish dystopian surrealist internationally recognized for his distinctive and strikingly ominous style.
  • Music by Akira Yamaoka and Arkadiusz Reikowski – Immerse yourself in the disturbing and oppressive atmosphere of the game thanks to the original ‘dual’ soundtrack co-created by Akira Yamaoka and Arkadiusz Reikowski. Yamaoka-san is a legendary Japanese composer best known for his work on the Silent Hill series; Reikowski is a Hollywood Music in Media Awards nominee who worked on such acclaimed horror games as Blair Witch, Layers of Fear, and Observer. Now they join their creative forces for the music and songs of The Medium.
Gematsu

Handy Fake

Neat.

What was that game on the Amiga that had a similar concept... Think it had a Geiger-esque woman on the front of the box...

EDIT: Darkseed, that was it.

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Looks & sounds very cool.

I'm generally a big girl's blouse when it comes to horror games, but I really want to give this one a try.

Be nice if we see more on the Xbox pre-show today.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Not really convinced yet given Bloopers output so far. I do like the design though. Hope this one is better than what they've made so far.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Cool concept i just havent been a huge fan of this teams games yet. Will def give it a shot since its on GP.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Are really 2 worlds different? Or only skinned worlds?
Maybe if you read the thread you would’ve found your answer
  • Play in Two Worlds at the Same Time – Never-seen-before and officially patented gameplay that plays out across two worlds displayed at the same time. Explore the physical world and the spirit world simultaneously, and use the interactions between them to solve dual-reality puzzles, unlock new paths, and awaken memories of past events.

MiguelItUp

I'm getting more and more interested in this with every bit of content they drop. But man, it's hard to not look at it and say to myself, "This should've been Silent Hill...." :(

Given that there's plenty of actual gameplay, this is by far the most interesting next gen game to come out out of the disastrous event.
Besides Silent Hill, I'm remind of Siren. One thing though, the game is lit too evenly, too beautifully to be scary. It's not disturbing enough.

So basically is a only one World with different skin right? Like Silent hill
Well, it kind of needs to be for the gameplay to work. Maybe some parts will diverge.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It is not to lower expectations, but I suspect that it is only a Skin, there are not 2 different worlds .... It is just the same world but decorated in a different way. They don't fool me that easily.

Jdroop

This looks really good in screens. Not trying to troll, but the first time all day, I’ve actually felt the 12 teraflops.

Please, more of this. Really intrigued by the game itself too.
I feel u. When games are built for XSX only, you can see that 12 tflops.

MrS

Banned
Does the main character have weapons or is it like Outlast where you're running and hiding?

Last edited:

replicant-

I thought the two worlds being rendered in tandem was pretty cool.

Definitely something I will check out on my XSX. I am wondering if this is an example of VA in action.

It's interesting and giving me "old school" vibes with the camera placement. Good job on the Xbox for this - anybody wants to chime in their experience with Layers of Fear?

JonnyMP3

Honestly I'm slightly disappointed but probably my own fault.
I was expecting Silent Hills... I got The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Are really 2 worlds differents? Or only the same World with another skin ?

I’d guess it’s like Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. Differences between the realms that facilitate puzzle solving, traversal, whatever. Split screen instead of swapping maybe allows for more dynamic interaction.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

One of the more impressive showings for both Microsoft reveal events. Really hitting the hole left behind by Silent Hill type games. It actually also looks graphically impressive and next gen. I hope it does well, there is a lot of promise with this title.

Top Bottom