• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Midnight Gospel - new Netflix acid trip animated series from Pendleton Ward (Adventure Time) and Duncan Trussell

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
3hGzUwN.png

QXfmg8V.gif

Maybe something to do when you're chilling out. It's weird.

Is there an age rating? Also, it's Netflix so how is it on the politics? Wondering if it's something I could watch with my kids. They love Adventure Time.

EDIT I'm an idiot. lol I see the age rating I don't know what is wrong with me. Still, what about the politics?

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Saw something about this earlier. Any good?

Just watched the first ep. It was basically a rambling conversation between Duncan and someone else about drugs, animated with a mostly unrelated interdimensional zombie apocalypse story that goes into acid trip mode at times. Not critical viewing by any means, but in the proper mood and setting it'll do well, or if you like the trippy animation. Lots of gif potential.

PacificNW

Just watched the first two episodes. It's so weird. I love it. Strange juxtaposition, not sure if that is the right word. But heavy themes with really interesting worlds and visuals. I'll finish the series tomorrow.

Finished it and I still don’t know what to think. Definitely not what I was expecting. It’s basically a philosophical podcast with an illustrator on Super Jail amounts of LSD. That last episode though woah

Weiji

Banned
Tried the first episode. Love the visuals and “flow”, but not a fan of the unrelated and difficult to follow rambling conversation happening in the background.

Feels like they smoked some pot, did a podcast, then animated it after the fact.

Kev Kev

just finished and the show is fantastic

it hit me in the feels super hard, touched on a lot of interesting philosophical ideas, and shed a lot of insight on mental health and how to deal with it. it's definitely not for everyone, and i think it deserves a couple viewings; one for the actual interviews which are insightful, intelligent and just lovely, and a second watching for the animation and how it relates to the discussion at hand.

i feel like a giant pussy, but man that last episode had me in tears. it was so beautiful and well done. i legit feel better, kind of cleansed even after that. really good shit.

Last edited:

buizel

Banned
just finished and the show is fantastic

it hit me in the feels super hard, touched on a lot of interesting philosophical ideas, and shed a lot of insight on mental health and how to deal with it. it's definitely not for everyone, and i think it deserves a couple viewings; one for the actual interviews which are insightful, intelligent and just lovely, and a second watching for the animation and how it relates to the discussion at hand.

i feel like a giant pussy, but man that last episode had me in tears. it was so beautiful and well done. i legit feel better, kind of cleansed even after that. really good shit.

Huh, I kinda discounted this as a adventure time UNCHAINED - good to hear this. How high tho

Kev Kev

Huh, I kinda discounted this as a adventure time UNCHAINED - good to hear this. How high tho
i was pretty stoned for most of it lol... but the last episode i wasnt, and im really glad bc i honestly kind of needed that. it gets deep man

its also a fun show to watch before bed (i almost always put on cartoons at bed time) bc the animations are trippy and you kind of have no fucking idea whats going on lol, and you dont really care anyway. so its good for people who just want that. thats all i was looking for in it. but then i realized the interviews were real, and that got me really interested in what they were talking about, and then i was hooked. i almost dont want a season 2 bc that was so damn good.

Watched the first two episodes, and what can I say.
It's simply amazing...

It's kind of hard to follow the conversation when there is so much unrelated trippy shit happening on screen that you also want to compute somehow.

5/5

Jooxed

Gold Member
Finally finished this. Was not ready for that last episode. Surprisingly deep. Enjoyed my time with it.

everyone should take something from the final episode.

Top Bottom