• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The music of Halo: Combat Evolved

Kuranghi

I remember Halo Bungie dot org was brilliant, listening to all the voice samples was great, I played Halo 1 to death on my OG Xbox and I never touched MP except a LAN party at uni (they had 8 Xboxes hooked to 8 nice CRTs with 4 controllers on each!).

The samples I like the most is when an NPC human soldier is on the Warthog turret and he says "I hope you brought some BUTTA because you're about to get FRIED!" Good times 😊

Mooreberg

I remember Halo Bungie dot org was brilliant, listening to all the voice samples was great, I played Halo 1 to death on my OG Xbox and I never touched MP except a LAN party at uni (they had 8 Xboxes hooked to 8 nice CRTs with 4 controllers on each!).

The samples I like the most is when an NPC human soldier is on the Warthog turret and he says "I hope you brought some BUTTA because you're about to get FRIED!" Good times 😊

Speaking of HBO, I had to miss out on a massive LAN Party Claude Errera (Louis Wu) was hosting a few towns over. These were the dark pre-Biden days, where people had to actually work during a semester to cover tuition.

Random trivia: Claude has a night club named after him in Halo Reach.

A true all timer in terms of audio.

My second favorite franchise in terms of soundtracks, after Silent Hill.

Last edited:

lockdown2222

Neo Member

The website brought back a core memory. They had a couple really unique and cool website designs. And I LOVED that extra content like the voice samples you mentioned. I’d do the same and listen to them all a lot of the interviews. I was checking their site daily for halo 2 news leading up to launch.

The whole presentation of Combat Evolved was so cohesive. The art direction, the story, the ambiance, the music. It all just perfectly flowed in syncopation. Except The Library, that mission felt like it was just using "stock footage".

It's easy these days to be dismissive of Halo, but back then, there wasn't much like CE that offered the package it did. Really was an impressive piece of technology and art working together.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Did anyone here ever get that Halo 2 soundtrack CD with the Incubus songs that were all jammy instrumentals

That was some great and weird random shit right there

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
This is literally Incubus doing their best Pink Floyd impression. Seriously. And it’s amazing no one’s ever brought it up (band included). It’s arguably their best work as a unit in the 2000s pre Ben Kenney. It’s the original line up.

Dude, Brandon Boyd literally does the fucking monk chant

They should’ve stayed in this direction musically in my opinion. Not all instrumentals obviously.

I wanna say it’s Flea playing the trumpet in part 3 but I wouldn’t put my nutsack on it.

Last edited:
Currently playing through the entire Halo series and imho the games aren‘t anything special, but the OST makes them incredible. It‘s so epic when that electric guitar hits at the big battles. For me that‘s definitely the best part about this series and I hope Hall 4 and Reach aren‘t subpar in that regard.

fatmarco

Currently playing through the entire Halo series and imho the games aren‘t anything special, but the OST makes them incredible. It‘s so epic when that electric guitar hits at the big battles. For me that‘s definitely the best part about this series and I hope Hall 4 and Reach aren‘t subpar in that regard.
Halo 4 has an incredible soundtrack by different composers, the problem is its not correctly mixed/used correctly within the game.

Essentially its either quiet, chopped up, missing the best moments, or a mix of these issues.

You won't appreciate until you hear it isolated sadly.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The whole presentation of Combat Evolved was so cohesive. The art direction, the story, the ambiance, the music. It all just perfectly flowed in syncopation. Except The Library, that mission felt like it was just using "stock footage".

It's easy these days to be dismissive of Halo, but back then, there wasn't much like CE that offered the package it did. Really was an impressive piece of technology and art working together.
The Library might be the most tedious level overall but the build-up and atmosphere might be some of the best in the entire series. I remember that sequence where you pick up that video recording from that Marine's helmet that introduces The Flood. This seemed like it was taken straight from Silent Hill.

After realizing how bad the situation was, you opened the objective menu and it was simply, "Escape." It's one of the few times I legitimately got scared in a video game.

Marty O'Donnell made Gregorian Space Monks of us all with just a few perfect notes on that title screen. What a treasure of a soundtrack.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
One of the greatest soundtracks in gaming history. One of the greatest joys in gaming is playing Halo CE and this music kicks in

I just get goosebumps every time.

The Library might be the most tedious level overall but the build-up and atmosphere might be some of the best in the entire series. I remember that sequence where you pick up that video recording from that Marine's helmet that introduces The Flood. This seemed like it was taken straight from Silent Hill.

After realizing how bad the situation was, you opened the objective menu and it was simply, "Escape." It's one of the few times I legitimately got scared in a video game.
343 Guilty sparks was a bad ass mission leading up to The Library, and the "escape" part was ok at the end, but going back and forth across the library was tedious in my opinion. It still ends up being a really great time, and I distinctly remember my buddy and I playing that mission co-op in the dark and panic fighting the flood trying to get out, but even then both of our complaints about that section was the "stock footage" feeling you get from playing it.

Still, doesn't change how bad ass of a game, especially for a launch title Halo: CE was. Man, what a cool time to be a teen.

BigLee74

Currently playing through the entire Halo series and imho the games aren‘t anything special
Nah. Even today, all these years later, they still play superbly. I was Halo Reach late to the party, and boy do I feel like I missed out.

Timeless masterpieces.

Top Bottom