• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Saints Row looks atrocious (gameplay video)

Soltype

It sounds like they're old enough to have children who are probably teens at this point. That could have played a big part in the contemporary change. Regardless, Soltype Soltype which podcast was it? I'd like to check it out.

sorry thought I posted it, they do mention in the interview at staff parties they now have their kids there. My problem with that thinking is if they are making it for the preteens why is it still M rated.There's a big difference between an immature adult and an immature child.The tone I'm getting is children pretending to be adults, the people they have written don't seem capable of handling the situations they're in or the repercussions. Despite what the game may show , them overcoming or succumbing to, they've painted them as ineffectual people and at this point there's not much they can do to change it. If they fail in their journey it will feel expected, if they succeed it will feel manufactured.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man, some of you guys have a very different definition of "atrocious" than my own.

The game looks fine, don't really care much about the hipster characters, but then again Watch Dogs 2 also did something similar, and those characters were pretty good in the game itself.

So will give this an honest shot at least.

Soltype

Any cool OT names?
Saints Row:Jim Robs

I think that name pretty much sums up the new game. They took a joke from the first game and did nothing with it. if you played the original games you will get the name change, but wonder why it was changed in the the first place.If you didn't play the previous games, then the name change doesn't jump out immediately.The new name is also no longer car related, so it has lost its communication of the business's product. They've taking something from the original, contorted it to where it is only partially familiar to older fans, and is less effective for newcomers.

EDMIX

My problem with that thinking is if they are making it for the preteens why is it still M rated.
Because enough of that content like...well killing people isn't a ranted Teen type of thing. They literally have guns and are able to murder a ton of people, drinking alcohol etc.
The tone I'm getting is children pretending to be adults, the people they have written don't seem capable of handling the situations they're in or the repercussions.
I'm unsure about all that, seems like one would need to complete the whole game to know any of that tbh. I like the "They are fuck ups" concept of games like this lol

i will grab this on the psn bf deals.
Same, either that or some black friday deal for the disk version, but I'll get it anywhere its cheaper

Ravi_elite

Banned
Because enough of that content like...well killing people isn't a ranted Teen type of thing. They literally have guns and are able to murder a ton of people, drinking alcohol etc.

I'm unsure about all that, seems like one would need to complete the whole game to know any of that tbh. I like the "They are fuck ups" concept of games like this lol

Same, either that or some black friday deal for the disk version, but I'll get it anywhere its cheaper

Gambit2483

Saints row looks like the first good game on ps5 and series x. Been nothing enjoyable released on these consoles. Last 2 years by far worst two years in gaming ever.
m8R5LTw.gif

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Looking on as an outsider... looks like they took what people loved about the originals (and was built on and improved over and over)... and ditched it. Took it down another road and that crowd didn't click with the ones who dug SR2, Bat out of Hell, or even SR3.

No surprise that the love for it is low.

Reactions: Isa

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Lol..Just starting that cause some were complaining that you couldn't go as big as the other game. This was past that. It looked kinda stupid though.

I just hope they retain the Voice #3 (the cockney accent) cause that's always been my go-to voice in these games.

KXVXII9X

This is the kind of concern I had since day 1. I was never in the "It's woke camp," but from all the previews, it looked like the game lacked a whole bunch of interactivity and immersion breaking shenanigans in favor of customization. So much, they aggressively marketed customization above all else. The animations, the level design, and the atmosphere felt lifeless and dead. It is okay to be arcade-y, but they seem to mix realism with cartoony physics and dated animations and game design. The game is trying to be everything at once and none of it is working for me. This doesn't shock me.

Edit: I know this lowlife Michael Does Life is a troll, but that footage doesn't seem altered and still doesn't spark confidence that this game will be for me.

Last edited:
Why don't your build your own opinion. Oh sorry you don't have your own copy of the game.🤦‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
Doesn't matter to me who does it, but whenever a bunch of people start dogpiling, selectively criticizing, or campaigning against something this much I'm immediately going to become suspicious of that and do more research. Especially so if the subject at hand is about a series that was never known for being genre-defining as it's peer (GTA), yet is being propped up that way to prove a point.

Clearly the woke crowd runs the other thread
u9jNp0K.png
Dude, I love the old games. But I've drained the value dry on replays. After 14 years I need something new alright? Sadly different world devs have to make games for, I resent that yes. Nonetheless if a game can be fun in spite of its flaws I'll play it. You posting the same dozen "THIS IS SAINTS ROW" shootout gifs in every SR thread isn't gonna bring the classic SR back, it makes you look like one of those mentally ill REEE loons.

I don't support the crazies because they're hypocrites, claim truth but spread lies, take low blows, deny reality, and lack self awareness... but I'm weary of anyone else who also comes across that way.

In an open world game AI not reacting and worse AI than Cyberpunk is a real letdown. I'm hoping that's just hyperbole and/or sporadic instead of across the board.

Top Bottom