• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow big improvement, Larry is still a bit green and he lacks control over the crowd but the show its really watachable now. The show its starting to work for me finally.

It's been interesting watching them workshop this show in the months since it started. They scaled back that "Keep It 100" stuff dramatically after the first month or so, before seemingly dropping it altogether. They keep changing the setup for their panel discussions as well.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Wow big improvement, Larry is still a bit green and he lacks control over the crowd but the show its really watachable now. The show its starting to work for me finally.

I still think all of their writers are awful and that is even more apparent when they are on the panel discussion.

But basically whenever something racial happens, for better or worse, the show hits on what makes it good

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's been interesting watching them workshop this show in the months since it started. They scaled back that "Keep It 100" stuff dramatically after the first month or so, before seemingly dropping it altogether. They keep changing the setup for their panel discussions as well.

Which is a good thing because at some point they'll be able to nail down the format. The fact they have enough vision to see what works and what doesn't gives me a lot of hope for the future.

JDSN

Banned
I still think all of their writers are awful and that is even more apparent when they are on the panel discussion.

But basically whenever something racial happens, for better or worse, the show hits on what makes it good

Yup, the executive producer is the only one that seems to be a decent fit for this, the head writer lady its terrible. Im glad they are throwing sound bites in the middle of discussion, it works as a great alternative to the monologue.

JDSN

Banned
Yeah, I'm enjoying the Trump Troll running joke. Of course, now it's time to see if it gets run into the ground or not.

There plenty potential in the Jindal being missing gag, but the Hilary dude is getting kinda annoying.

undrtakr900

Larry seems to have gotten more comfortable as the host. Now they just need better writing and better guest selection.

Mike Yard and Rory Albanese(exec prod.) are great though, the rest not so much.

Larry seems to have gotten more comfortable as the host. Now they just need better writing and better guest selection.

Mike Yard and Rory Albanese(exec prod.) are great though, the rest not so much.

I like Ricky Velez too. Holly Walker is very close to clicking too. She has a great energy and a lot of talent, her bits need some better writing though.

The panels have been really good lately too. A far more natural exchange is happening and the segment doesn't seem so edited anymore.

Very happy to see CC renewed it for a second season. It's only getting better from here.

davepoobond

i definitely feel like i'm learning something every now and then from the show. it feels a lot more insightful now on certain issues, and i think they understand what Larry's strong points are.

they just need to stop having Jordan Carlos on the show, and also that other girl who is a writer. Both are bad on-screen.

I'm not sure if I "like" Ricky Velez (I don't think he's very funny, just loud), but he's definitely better than their shoehorned-in writers

Crud

Banned
Sanders segment was cool. Cultural appropriation roundtable was interesting. Game got a problem with white folk using black emoji lmao.

Great episode.

The Light

People shooting themselves segment was gold. Also loved the panel discussion discussion tonight.
I don't understand why people are not watching this show. Wilmore is just so likable.

Slayven

People shooting themselves segment was gold. Also loved the panel discussion discussion tonight.
I don't understand why people are not watching this show. Wilmore is just so likable.
The panel was real good. I think because Wilmore has a real dry delivery and doesn't really do jokes. Dude is smart and funny but funny in a off putting way

But he be dropping some knowledge and truth.

Kind of wish he was an hour.

The Light

I think this show should be longer with the panel segment in mind. While the discussions are good I feel that there really isn't enough time for everyone to get their piece in.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

A lot of people gave it two episodes and left, not realizing it takes a year for a show like this to really find it's voice.

undrtakr900

After watching last night's episode I think they should make Mike Yard and Rory Albanese permanent round.tables guests. Mike/Rory/Larry all have good chemistry together and play off each other well in conversation.

This way the producers only have to get 1 or 2 guest(s) per show instead 3 or 4, which'll reduce the chance of them finding some lame "filler" comedian to round out the table.

What do you guys think?

Crud

Banned
Bill Nye dropping knowledge on the dumbass panel. They could not care less. I kind of found it depressing and hilarious at the same time.

Had NASA said they found a alien on Mars that resembles Kylie Jenner it would be a whole different story .

Crud

Banned
Sure was they gotta have another person on that panel other than Larry to keep the convo from going to dumbville.

undrtakr900

Bill Nye as a guest and that was the panel discussion we received?

Bill Nye dropping knowledge on the dumbass panel. They could not care less. I kind of found it depressing and hilarious at the same time.

Had NASA said they found a alien on Mars that resembles Kylie Jenner it would be a whole different story .
After watching that cringe-inducing Bill Nye episode, I am fucking done with The Nightly Show.

While watching on Hulu, I can't count the number of times I had to pause the show to cringe at the sheer absurdity/stupidity that was coming out of Ricky Valdez & "token comedian lady's" mouth.

I've continued watching TNS hoping it would eventually to find it footing/voice, but it just seems to get worse. Especially after watching TDS with Trevor Noah who (imo) has been great so far.

Crud

Banned
Violent criminal firefighters segment was good lol.

Toy semgment was on point too.

Panel was good mix of wackiness and informed opinions.

Jesse Ventura was on one lmao. Radical.

JDSN

Banned
No respect for this show anymore, making a segment dedicated to the skinny latino dude. Shame. I get that its a new show but Larry was with Jon for years and didnt learn shit. Ill see it until people realize that Mike Yard its a treasure and needs to get his own show.

No respect for this show anymore, making a segment dedicated to the skinny latino dude. Shame. I get that its a new show but Larry was with Jon for years and didnt learn shit. Ill see it until people realize that Mike Yard its a treasure and needs to get his own show.

Mike Yard also says a lot of stupid stuff on the panels. I don't see why anyone likes him either. The show needs to get retooled without Larry, give it to Jessica Williams.

Yeah, I watched that last night and thought "wow they must have absolutely no segment ideas to be airing this".

I really tried to give this show a shot, I really liked Larry Wilmore, but after about 10 months it really doesn't seem to be developing into the next Daily Show or Colbert Report. The only reason I'm still tuning in is because the show benefits from its timeslot, immediately following the Daily Show.

Crud

Banned
Panel was great tonight everything else was meh. Love Neil deGrasse Tyson always a pleasure to listen to him.

YOGA PANTS lol.

davepoobond

I'm feeling like mike yard is a little flat now. Most of his laughs are from yelling. I think the Roy Albanese guy is funnier in general now that he isn't only doing the "frat bro" character all of the time.

Larry by himself is probably getting better but I think the writers are still kinda crap and maybe even the video editors might be at fault for some of the production annoyances I'm getting

So it seems to be generally improving but some of the good things are ending up not being as good.

Crud

Banned
Show is rolling Ricky Velez is no longer unbearable. Larry is much more comfortable. I'm laughing more lol which is the point of the show.

I liked how they tried to make Trump jokes but ended up getting too frustrated with it. People are at the point to where it's not funny anymore. I'm glad they touched on that.

FUCK TRUMP!

Show is rolling Ricky Velez is no longer unbearable. Larry is much more comfortable. I'm laughing more lol which is the point of the show.

I liked how they tried to make Trump jokes but ended up getting too frustrated with it. People are at the point to where it's not funny anymore. I'm glad they touched on that.

FUCK TRUMP!

The cast, writing, and Larry himself are still bad. I cringe during all his cold openings. The show needs to be retooled without Larry.

davepoobond

eh, i think its fine. its no replacement for colbert report, obviously, but it seems more like a goofier modern daily show whereas Trevor Noah Daily Show seems to have went back a few years in its format

Crud

Banned
The cast, writing, and Larry himself are still bad. I cringe during all his cold openings. The show needs to be retooled without Larry.

You are spot on about the cold openings either improve the jokes or scrap it I say.

Larry needs to stay though. I really like Larry good dude.

You are spot on about the cold openings either improve the jokes or scrap it I say.

Larry needs to stay though. I really like Larry good dude.

I'm sure he's a great human being but he can't carry a show and Comedy Central isn't a charity. They need a political satire show in that slot that can at least be an entertaining follow up to the Daily Show.

Mike Yard isn't good, I have no idea why people like him. Ricky Velez isn't funny and doesn't offer anything competent during the panels....I just don't know what to do with this show other than hate watch it at this point.

Crud

Banned
I'm sure he's a great human being but he can't carry a show and Comedy Central isn't a charity. They need a political satire show in that slot that can at least be an entertaining follow up to the Daily Show.

Mike Yard isn't good, I have no idea why people like him. Ricky Velez isn't funny and doesn't offer anything competent during the panels....I just don't know what to do with this show other than hate watch it at this point.

Hate watch?

lol don't do that to yourself just find another program to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom