• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Switch Was The Best Selling Console In The U.S For The Fifth Year In A Row.

Mozza

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Nintendo after Wii U:

wsbhe.jpg

fallingdove

Love the games. Hate the hardware. Switch has a phenomenal library but this thing is the cheapest piece of shit.

My hardware aggravation has never increased over time with a console but the antiquated graphics and inconsistent performance combined with the flimsy-ness of the stand and the fact that I have had to purchase 2 pro controllers and 4 different sets of overpriced joycons to address stick drift is an absolute travesty.

nial

Gold Member
Pretty good for Nintendo, but whatever. I liked the Wii U a lot better, at least they bothered to make a new Mario Kart back then instead of reselling the last one for 60 bucks for 6 years straight, but hey, if consoomers keep buying...

Mozza

Pretty good for Nintendo, but whatever. I liked the Wii U a lot better, at least they bothered to make a new Mario Kart back then instead of reselling the last one for 60 bucks for 6 years straight, but hey, if consoomers keep buying...
Mario Kart 8 sold around 8 million copies on the Wii U, and to be fair to Nintendo this franchise should be selling at least 30 million units, so you can hardly blame them as the initial games sales were held back by the platform it was released on, and for most this Switch port will be a brand new title.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Mario Kart 8 sold around 8 million copies on the Wii U
Do you know what sold even less? Double Dash, with 7 million copies, however, they didn't feel the need to port it to the much-hyped and successful Wii.
and to be fair to Nintendo this franchise should be selling at least 30 million units
And they could have done it with a brand new title, but that didn't happen because Nintendo is a shadow of its former self, it's laughable. What's even more laughable is that some people act like they're the few good companies in le evil modern industry, when that's clearly not the case.

Mozza

Do you know what sold even less? Double Dash, with 7 million copies, however, they didn't feel the need to port it to the much-hyped and successful Wii.

And they could have done it with a brand new title, but that didn't happen because Nintendo is a shadow of its former self, it's laughable. What's even more laughable is that some people act like they're the few good companies in le evil modern industry, when that's clearly not the case.
They missed an opportunity with double dash then, and they have added the booster courses to the deluxe version, so not all bad news. By the way not suggesting Nintendo are angels of the industry, they are in it to make money like everybody else.

Last edited:

Mozza

I wouldn't call it a missed opportunity, given that they made Mario Kart Wii, which sold over 30 million copies.

And they're too overpriced considering that they're stages of a mobile game, honestly.
You get double the courses for $25, or included with your expanded online subscription, pretty decent deal to me, and they have not just simply ported them over. And it's up to Nintendo to decide what Wii U games they ported over to the Switch, you got the 1080p at full 60fps, plus all the Wii U DLC content included, plus one of the best looking Mario Kart games ever, no wonder they wanted to bring this game to more people, it deserved it imho.

Last edited:
I don't think it would have such a good catalog, Nintendo would really doomed for real this time
Would probably have about the same number of Nintendo games and that’s all I care about. Actually, I just care about a small subset of even the Nintendo games.

TLZ

Banned
Oh look it’s a passive aggressive tattle tale. This is exactly how cancel culture started.

Take the tiny joke and move on.
Sure sure. You know exactly what you're doing and what it leads to. No need for that.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Considering sales:

Gamecube: bad
Wii: good
WiiU: bad
Switch: good
Next Nintendo console: :messenger_hushed:
Remember that the N64 was kinda bad too? I get the cartridge choice for the N64, but Game Cube not running DVDs was just dumb.

Wii was kinda a lucky strike because they made the best marketing ever:
- first console to get backwards compatible with a lot of games from their consoles and other companies. It was insane just to think back in the day to play Neo Geo, Genesis, Turbografx and SNES in the same console, and all by official methods.
- small games made by big or indie developers that costs as much as a street burguer
- you could make your personal character to play the game that is included that even an elderly person could get it
- it was almost as cheap as an old console

Wii U made all the opposite choices that the Wii presented in his debut. I wonder what the hell they thinked

and Switch learn and the first commercial showed all the things we wanted - and some that not a single person will ever use, like the thing inside the car - including a great Mario game

Next console should have the new Zelda, a new Mario game, and Mario Kart

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Yes because everyone wants a bulky portable that last 30 mins.
On the same settings as Switch? Bit longer than 30 mins chief.

This was not released when the Switch came out, I mean it's not much of a shocker that a console costing more and releasing much later would be more powerful, so not sure of your point.
It's not much more than an RRP Oled Switch and yep, it should be number one now, as in right now.

Teletraan1

Banned
I have a switch but I never use it outside of the 1 or 2 games per year I play on it. I haven't really enjoyed many modern Nintendo games tbh. I think because the design philosophy of the switch reflects in the games. Absolutely hated BotW for a variety of reasons but my main gripe has to do with the quick play on the go mentality of the switch. The dungeons are bite sized when Zelda dungeons are supposed to be the main course.

It also has lead to some really terrible art style changes to some of my favorite game series trying to shoehorn the game onto feeble hardware. Disgaea for example, not exactly a graphical stunner. Compare how 5 looks compared to 6 and the vomit taste in your mouth never goes away. Now even if I decide to skip it on Switch it still looks like eye cancer on my PC. Xenosaga 1-3 (PS2 games) on emulators looks more appealing to me than any of the Xenoblade games from an artstyle perspective. Granted smaller environments in the PS2 games but the artstyle since the Wii game has been a direct result of compensating for weak hardware while wanting bigger environments. I have all 3 of the blade games on switch and Torna and none of them run well either.

Mozza

On the same settings as Switch? Bit longer than 30 mins chief.

It's not much more than an RRP Oled Switch and yep, it should be number one now, as in right now.
That was never going to happen, the Steam Deck is a niche product for core players, who want a high end PC gaming experience on the go, so a pretty limited market imho, even Valve said this is not a Switch rival. The fact some seem to think so is mind boggling.

sandbood

Banned
It should be around 40 million units by now. It could potentially end up at around 50 million units if Nintendo is being aggressive with price reductions and bundles in 2023 and 2024.

Jennings

I don't mind that it's number one, I just wish they'd introduce more mainline entries of games that haven't been iterated on since their ports from Wii-U.

Kataploom

Gold Member
If we lived in a sane society this would be winning..

qwXIHNu.jpg

But we live in a Lizzo world sadly.
Games are a big part of that picture and Switch has too many heavy hitters to even get ignored, many of us just like the way Nintendo make games way more than anyone else and/or have another platform for those that don't come to Switch so no, Steam Deck wouldn't do shit to Switch even if Steam started selling them on physical stores.

BTW, afaik Switch is currently the third best selling console ever, let's say it ends up selling 128 millions by the end of FY, that leaves barely 31 millions to pass PS2... Let's say Switch sales start declining and it sells 10-16 millions in its final years... That means Switch will be the best selling console by 2 or 3 years max.

But let's be honest, this is the year of Zelda, Mario Movie and whatever Nintendo hasn't announced yet, I can't see Switch selling less than 18 or 20 millions next FY and the decline curve will keep easing so it will be barely a year and a half before we get to that point.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
That was never going to happen, the Steam Deck is a niche product for core players, who want a high end PC gaming experience on the go, so a pretty limited market imho, even Valve said this is not a Switch rival. The fact some seem to think so is mind boggling.
Well, it should be and by now Nintendo are well past due to be putting more power under the hood.

Top Bottom