• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NRA wants to sell insurance that would cover the legal costs if you shoot someone

Piecake

Enter the National Rifle Association. Stories like Balistreri’s have motivated some gun owners to purchase insurance policies that could cushion their financial burden in the event that they shoot someone. Such policies have been available for years, but last month the NRA announced a new insurance product, Carry Guard, which they marketed to their millions of members online and at their annual meeting in Atlanta. The idea of firearms liability insurance has been previously championed by gun safety advocates on the left, who envisioned insurance as an instrument of public safety that could encourage safer guns and safer behavior. As implemented by the NRA, though, firearms liability insurance has a different function—to insulate gun owners from the expense and other possible consequences of a shooting.

Powell explains that Carry Guard was created to accommodate the needs of a changing culture in the U.S., where more people carry concealed weapons. “There’s just been this incredible carry revolution that’s taken place over the past eight years, and you know, the NRA started it. We started this in Florida 35 or 36 years ago, passing the first concealed carry bill. And so this is really a response to that movement and our members saying ‘Hey, we need you guys to be the gold standard for training, liability insurance— everything concealed carry.’”

But there’s a big catch to implementing risk-based pricing when it comes to guns. To figure out what to charge policyholders, gun insurers would need to know what sort of risk an individual represents, and—just as crucially—they would need to have actuarial data about the larger population in order to know which factors are risky andUnderwriters do, of course, specify in insurance policies what scenarios they are willing to cover and what they aren’t. There’s some dissonance here, because the NRA’s lobbying activity seems to promote (or at least protect) some of the same activities their insurance product excludes from coverage:

Underwriters do, of course, specify in insurance policies what scenarios they are willing to cover and what they aren’t. There’s some dissonance here, because the NRA’s lobbying activity seems to promote (or at least protect) some of the same activities their insurance product excludes from coverage:

This is not to say that the Carry Guard policy is worthless. Who else but the NRA would, in the event you shoot someone, help to bail you out of jail, pay for the cleanup of “stains and biohazards” in your home, hook you up with a lawyer and even pay for your psychological therapy?

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/05/27/the-nra-would-like-to-insure-you-now-215196

Click link for more and what they exclude. I especially liked the one about armed rebellion

FTF

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't enjoy a situation where someone buys this insurance, shoots one of the NRA big wigs, then they have to pay for his legal costs.

old

I would imagine insurance would demand they take gun safety classes, have a safety on the weapon, and exclude light triggers.

But the last thing I want is people thinking they can act irresponsibly with a weapon and "insurance will pay for it."

Aurongel

They don't make enough money already after the donation spike they get every time a school gets shot up?

Poor them.

hobozero

“There’s just been this incredible carry revolution that’s taken place over the past eight years

I wonder what happened 8 years ago that motivated people to buy more guns... hmm..

Hmmmmmmmmm.......

Can I bet against this idea like they did in 'The Big Short' with the housing market?

Anyone know the equivalent to Gosling's character? I'm liquid.

Piecake

I would imagine insurance would demand they take gun safety classes, have a safety on the weapon, and exclude light triggers.

But the last thing I want is people thinking they can act irresponsibly with a weapon and "insurance will pay for it."

not really

In all the Carry Guard marketing materials, the training and the liability insurance are presented as a package. It’s worth noting, though, that the “gold standard” Carry Guard training program doesn’t exist yet, and no training is required to purchase the insurance policy. Powell says that comprehensive Carry Guard training classes will be offered in selected cities later this summer, and will roll out nationwide thereafter. Fees for these classes have yet to be determined, but they are not included in the cost of the insurance.

For the NRA’s own Carry Guard insurance, applicants don’t need to provide any information about themselves to get a quote. There are three tiers of coverage—bronze, silver and gold—priced at $155, $255 and $360 per year, respectively. The rates don’t depend on the number or type of guns that you own, nor where you intend to carry them, nor your level of training or experience. Applicants are never even asked whether they actually own any firearms or have a license to carry. The pricing treats all gun owners as if they represent the same level of risk.

It's amazing how much these people lack foresight. You don't see people abusing this system? You don't think this is a sign that your administration is filled with people who rather shoot someone than actually have a conversation?

Especially the people that you hate as well will 'benefit' from this, NRA. Unless you're going to start denying people based on discrimination? That's a whole new can of worms. And I can see people trying to commit fraud here as well.

BriGuy

I've seen literally every other goddamn member of my family and extended family get a concealed carry permit over the last three years. I don't get it, and it's distressing as fuck. I'm honestly afraid that any random trip to the grocery could end up with me getting caught in a crossfire or shot for getting the last package of pork chops.

The one silver lining to this is maybe the NRA will finally have to be open about gun violence statistics in order to accurately allow underwriting of these policies.

And also, these people donèt understand how insurance actually works. The car example is a good one. You're incentivized to be as safe as humanly possible. That's the whole point of insurance. If this is just "get out of jail" insurance, than it's monstrous, and also fiscally stupid lol. Maybe it's a scam.

Ah so another revenue stream in order to support the gun industry. Not only are they funded by gun owners and manufacturers and try their hardest to make it impossible to regulate that industry, now they want to sell insurance. Well, I guess its a good potential revenue stream, right, as all gun owners are responsible and nothing bad will ever happen if anyone has guns.

Bleepey

Since guns are exactly like cars why not make it mandatory. Get a licence too. Constant training before you can own it. I am for it!

Mahonay

Banned
I've seen literally every other goddamn member of my family and extended family get a concealed carry permit over the last three years. I don't get it, and it's distressing as fuck. I'm honestly afraid that any random trip to the grocery could end up with me getting caught in a crossfire or shot for getting the last package of pork chops.
"THE GOV'MENT GONNA TAKE ALL THE GUNS AWAY!

ALSO I'M TERRIFIED OF MINORITIES AND NEED A LETHAL SAFETY BLANKET"

Javaman

There's like 3 or 4 companies that do that already. It's not a big deal. Even in legitimate self defense cases someone might have to deal with 10s of thousands in legal fees.

Mahonay

Banned
There's like 3 or 4 companies that do that already. It's not a big deal. Even in legitimate self defense cases someone might have to deal with 10s of thousands in legal fees.
This shouldn't be something we need.

Also the amount of times someone actually uses their gun to "stop a bad guy" is astronomically low.

Most times they end up being involved in a murder, not self defense.

old

I love this. I hope it grows. Hopefully it becomes necessary to have gun insurance to carry a gun. And because the NRA offers and profits from it, they won't fight it becoming mandatory.

We have seat belts in cars and the law requiring wearing them because of the car insurance lobby. Hopefully, this leads to a growing gun insurance lobby requiring safety classes, bio locks, safeties, and heavy triggers. Also most importantly, dumbasses who can't be insured can't carry.

Edit:
not really

Then we can pray they quickly go out of business insuring dumbasses.

The silver lining here is that it could actually encourage better training or even not carrying at all. It removes the fantasy idea of being the hero against a nameless bad guy and makes a gun owner think about the legal consequences.

pay for the cleanup of “stains and biohazards” in your home

Wh-what?

"If you blow someone's brains out in your home, we'll send a cleaner to get rid of those pesky blood stains, gooey chunks of grey matter, and the puddle of feces and urine your victi- *ahem* the other party secreted upon their untimely, but totally defensible, death."

Rutti

Wh-what?

"If you blow someone's brains out in your home, we'll send a cleaner to get rid of those pesky blood stains, gooey chunks of grey matter, and the puddle of feces and urine your victi- *ahem* the other party secreted upon their untimely, but totally defensible, death."

johnwick-cleaner_thumb.png

Mahonay

Banned
That only takes into account the number of people killed, which is going to be a small fraction of self defense uses.

Depending on the studies it ranges from 50,000 to over a million a year.
Overall outlook still says guns are not used in actual self defense situations all that often, especially compared to murders involving legal guns. Show me otherwise.

We don't live in the Wild West. That is not reality.

Biske

Nothing. Shooting people is the goal from the get-go.

No doubt people just dream of going hero mode. But I would assume the idea of consequences afterwards puts the breaks on some people.

But a lunatic feeling extra confident because he is insured to kill people? Buckle up.

Eumi

Fucking hell America. How the hell do you let your country become so obsessed with guns that this starts to be a thing?

Mahonay

Banned
Fucking hell America. How the hell do you let your country become so obsessed with guns that this starts to be a thing?
Republicans.

And the NRA is unreasonably powerful for their relatively small size. Again, thanks to Republicans.

Ultryx

I generally do not approve of the NRA even as a gun owner and I don't approve of the way they're advertising this, but having insurance like this is vital if someone seriously carries on their person daily. I know that having an incident like that costs many thousands of dollars and much more in potential legal fees.

Jedi2016

Most existing types of coverage like this protect you from civil liability, in the event you're sued by the deceased's family, but they do nothing for criminal liability (it basically kicks in once it's confirmed that you're not being charged with anything). And I would assume that this sort of coverage by the NRA is also contingent on lack of criminal liability.. so if you just murder someone, the NRA isn't going to jump to your defense. I would certainly hope they wouldn't, anyway, but in this day and age, who can tell.

Top Bottom