• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The only impressions you need today! (Oz/Genji/Gundam/Bumpy/Kagero/Ys)

Bebpo

Banned
I spent Ample time with Genji, Oz, Gundam True Oddessey, Bumpy Trot, Kagero II, and Ys Oath in Fleghana. So here are my early impressions (written between 2-3am mind you so please excuse my errors):
----
Genji (Playtime = 2 hours)

Genji is fun. I don't know if it's an Onimusha killer, but it's a huge Onimusha copier ^^;

You have one attack button which does a single string of the same attacks (though you can mix it up mid-combo by pressing the analogue in various directions) and a hard attack button which does a single stronger move that takes a few secs to charge. At first the game seems kinda thin on battle depth, not unlike Onimusha IMO, as you are pretty limited in what you can do during battles. But then you realize that the game is not based around attacking enemies...in fact you won't really be attacking anyone much once you figure out how to play. See when you hit L1 you go into Kamui mode which makes everything go in slow motion and if you hit the square button right before being attacked you'll kill the enemy in one hit. Now you can't mash square or the slow-motion stops, and you can't miss or you get the same result. But if you hit square correctly, the slow motion will keep going as the next enemy will attack you, get that right and the next comes at you, this keeps going until you mess up or kill the last enemy in the area. Killing everyone in slow motion gets you a cool Shinobi style tate ending where it's flashy and it also gives you a ton of bonus exp (you get exp from killing enemies and level up like an action rpg). So basically you're going to want to walk into each area and when the enemies appear you hit L1 and tap square at the right times. Bosses are pretty much the same thing as you do very little damage normally and sometimes you need to hit the slow motion Kamui counters on a boss to break their armor letting normal attacks do a little damage. So during boss battles you're mainly dodging attacks until your Kamui meter fills (it fills on its own, but goes faster when you're attacking) and then you go into Kamui state and try to hit square at the right time. This could sound like a really easy game if it wasn't that the frame window where you can hit square can be really really short. Every enemy and boss has their own specific 1/2 sec during an attack where you can hit square and a little hint pop-up will appear when you can do it. Still, being able to do it flawlessly on bosses takes some practice of getting the timing down just right or you end up dead. So it's kinda weird because it's not deep, yet it takes a good amount of skill. Once you start getting the timings down it is a pretty fun battle system though. My only complaint about the controls are that they feel a little floaty and once you attack you are basically commited to that attack and the attack frames are pretty long. Still the game gives double jump and even lets you jump on people's heads like Chun-Li so it's pretty fun.

Other things about the game are buying equipment like weapons/armor/accessories; forging upgrades to current equipment (the items needed can often only be found by doing the 'issen' type attacks on bosses and strong enemies, breaking off a piece of their armor/body which you can use later to forge onto your own weapon); and playing as two characters (you talk to the other guy [usually at the start of a dungeon] to switch over and in the dungeon there will be chests and sections that only one person can access). The actually plot setup is pretty good (reminds me of Azumi), but the actual in-game dialogue is pretty hokey and typical "OH NO HE IS RUNNING TO THE ROOF, WE MUST FOLLOW NOW" dialogue. Graphics are pretty good; backgrounds look great but the characters are pretty low polygon. Still the game holds a consistent 60fps and has some nice effects so it's fine in the visuals. Music is good but not great.

So like Onimusha (3 especially) the game is based around doing 1 hit kills with perfect timing before the enemy hits you. Here it's a little easier since they give you some indication of when you should do it; but on the other hand the bosses do pretty hard damage and there aren't always save points right before them so the game makes you practice and get your skill to par since it's a risky battle.

small note: The Japanese version is a bit censored. Before the game came out Okamoto told people it wouldn't have people being cut in half like in the US E3 demo. In the Japanese version they just spray blood and turn dark and fall down. Since the US version will include both Japanese and English voices, it will be the superior version.

Early impression grade: B

-----
Oz (Playtime = 2 hours+)

First of all, Sony is batshit insane for not letting this game come to the US. Whatever their actual 'complaints' were with the game they must've been BS and Sony must have an another motive (such as reducing competition for Genji which they are publishing), because Oz is excellent.

Oz is by the Suikoden III team. But it seems like they took the good parts of Suikoden III (character designs, interesting plot) and fixed most of the development team's faults and then made an action rpg. Oz is an action rpg setup in a way not unlike Chaos Legion where it's broken into episodes(levels). But unlike CL and more like a real A-Rpg, the game is filled with story that's told through 2d dialogue boxes featuring tons of gorgeous artwork (each character has many expressions) and pretty nice in-game cutscenes with full voice acting. The plot is more like one of an rpg, very interesting and epic with some mild connections to the wizard of Oz. The dialogue is pretty solid too, which is not too much of a surprise as Suikoden III had some pretty good dialogue. You can buy items and equip them between stages which also adds to the rpg feeling. The menus and overall polish of the game is really good. Music is excellent (done by the Castlevania composer), and the graphics look pretty good for the most part (excellent character designs, but framerate is somewhere in the 30fps or slightly below area [still better than SIII's 15fps ^^;]).

Gameplay is interesting. The game is described as a rythmetic action game. Basically the entire premise is that you play along with 2 AI characters and you're supposed to dizzy an enemy -> knock him in the air to a friendly AI -> they'll knock the enemy around between each other -> they'll call your name and then send it flying back to you -> you try to keep up the volley. The longer you juggle an enemy the more your super meter fills up. When it's lvl.1 or higher you can do super moves that do high damage and dizzy even huge enemies allowing you to start juggling them. Some bosses can't even be hit by normal attacks, so the goal is to juggle other things filling up your super meter and then attacking with supers. The controls are actually pretty darn good with R1 lock-on, L1 reseting the camera to what you're locked on, R2 changing targets, good dodge strafing with R1+X. O calls your AI guys to beatup whatever you have targetted and send it flying at you if possible. This is great because some enemies can only be hit in the back so you call your friends to distract the enemy while you run up behind him and take him out. The gameplay definitely takes some real time getting used to as you really got get the timing and physics down for the juggling; but once you do it's a pretty original and fun battle system. Camera is fine as you get full control...but since you'll have people volleying an enemy at you from off-screen a lot of the times, it is a bit hectic. Only way they could've improved it IMO is if they zoomed the camera out further so you could see more of the field.

So yea, heavy in story; draped in style; filled with beautiful 2d art and great music...Oz is really cool so far. If the story and gameplay pays off in the end, this could be the action-rpg of the generation and Sony are evil bastards if they don't allow it into the US.

Early impressions grade: A-

----
Gundam True Odyssey (Playtime = 1:20)

Gundam TO is a traditional rpg done in a world of Gundam. You fight in various mechs and you even put your own together from various parts. So how did Bandai do on their first rpg attempt? Not too bad...

Gundam TO definitely has a very low budget feel. While the visuals are actually quite nice due in part to the great character designs and character models (surprisingly the game was made on renderware according to the box), the rest of the game has a strong lack of polish and feels more akin to a 16 or 32bit rpg than anything this generation. The characters run around towns/rooms at speed beyond human ability, the "probably should move slow" mecha all move super fast too in dungeons. While this might take away some realism, it's nice for the player because you move really fast :) Also there is no voice acting at all, and the fonts and menus could easily be seen in a SFC/SNES rpg. This gives it kinda an old-school feel like Dragon Quest, which isn't really that bad of a thing. Heck the post-battle exp screen has NO SOUND and NO ANIMATION (like exp numbers moving/scrolling/something). You just have to look at the exp gained and your total exp and make a note of how much you gained.

The battle system is pretty traditional. You have an energy meter that fills up 2 each round. Your various attacks cost a certain amount of energy, and your super boost attacks cost even more energy. So the idea is you either save up for a boost attack by using low-energy normal attacks or you just use high-energy strong normals. Also physical attacks are always countered unless the enemy is guarding or charging their energy (you get +1 energy if you choose to charge). Luckily the battle system tells you what move your enemy will be doing next turn ^^; This kinda makes the battles a bit easier since you can plan around what the enemy is doing but oh well...it's fun. Battles are pretty fast and the loading while not great isn't anyworse than say Xenosaga. Loading in towns is super-fast and the only real loading drag is coming out of battle because you stare at that black screen for a few secs.

You can equip your mecha/characters with any weapon as long as it fits in their equip box. Think the RE4 style suitcase or Western rpg equipment screens. You have a box area and you can put in guns/axes/swords/shields. Whatever you put in not only physically shows up on the unit in battle, but adding weapons adds new attacks under "attack".

Then you have the parts system. In my playtime I haven't gotten a chance to explore this yet, but it seems like you get pieces from beating bosses and probably through other ways and then you put them together like building a toy. For instance when I beat a boss I got a Zaku right shoulder that added some def and took away some speed. Supposedly there are about 39 Moblie Suits total that were ripped into 5 pieces each, giving around 200 individual pieces to create your own Gundam.

The game will mainly appeal to Gundam fans, and as one myself it's hard to make an objective opinion about the game. I think despite feeling rough and like a 1st generation PS2 game, it's pretty fun and player-friendly so I'm looking forward to the rest of the ride.

Early impressions grade: B+

---
Kagero II (Playtime = 30 mins)

Going to keep this short because there isn't much too say about the game and I didn't play it that long.

Basically Kagero II is just like Kagero on PS but with pretty nice graphics running at a smooth 60fps. Character models are good, everything is fully voiced and overacted to be kind of hilarious in a dark way. Running around killing people with combo traps is still as fun as ever, and if you're a fan of the series or just like to torture people it'll definitely be worth picking up when it gets a US release.

Early impression grade: B+

---
Bumpy Trot (Playtime = 20 mins)

I don't even know what to say about this game. Straight from the start you are dressing/customizing your characters looks; choosing how he talks to people; picking up on a girl if you want; piloting a robot (with VO style dual-analogue controls); fighting other people in robots; breaking into houses; playing your harmonica (with a system straight out of amplitude); talking to people walking around a shenmue-ish live world, and umm trying to remember your name. That was only in the first 20 mins. Later on the game promises to be filled with bus and train taking, bicycle riding, piano playing, robot arenas, and possible dating. Irem seems to have done a really cool job at making an open ended non-linear game; though this will be something that I'll have to put some real effort and time into before I can get some feelings on it. It certainly doesn't seem bad (though the game sloooowwwws down at times; I think it's still using a modifeid Zettai Zetsumei [disaster report] engine).

Early impression grade: unknown.

---
Ys III remake, Oath in Felghana (playtime = 2 hours)

This game is awesome. It's gorgeous looking, runs on even the weakest computers, has a fantastic soundtrack and the upgraded battle system is just straight out awesome and fun.

You're basic attack string is now 6 hits long, and you are a FAST MAN. So when you enter an area with 10 enemies you can run from one to another chopping them all up in something like 4-5 secs. The magic attacks rock, the jumping attacks rock. The dungeons are great and towns wonderful. Really the only thing even slightly negative about this new Falcom game is that the game balance is really screwed up. Normal enemies are a piece of cake and then bosses are downright brutal. I'm actually playing two games of it side by side in Easy and Normal mode in case I get completely stuck (boss of the first dungeon in normal probably took me about 50+ retries, mini-boss took about 20 attempts). Also there's no voice acting but it's not really a big deal. Loading is ZERO seconds too which is nice.

Anyhow, I've never played the original but this game just kicks so much ass it feels worth every penny that they charge for PC games in Japan. Tons of non-stop fluid action and tough cool boss fights. Awesome, just awesome.

Early impressions grade: A-

--
Ok impressions over. Yay I can finally sleep and wake up in 4 hours for work >_<

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Thanks for the great impressions, really looking forward to Genji. Oz sounds cool too, if it's not released in the US I'm clinging to the small possibility that it'll be released in Europe. :|

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Thanks for taking the time to write up all those impressions. Can't wait for my copy of Oz to arrive. I just finished Anubis today, so I'm still feeling the Konami rush. :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, I might have to check out Oz. Totally going for Ys, though.

I'm currently playing through Radiata Stories (which I found for cheap) and enjoying it. Game is funny as hell (Junko Takeuchi's voice was perfect for Jack) and the battles are pretty enjoyable. I know you've played it, Bebpo. Does it stay keep the pace?

u_neek

You rock, Bep

Bebpo said:
---
Bumpy Trot (Playtime = 20 mins)

I don't even know what to say about this game. Straight from the start you are dressing/customizing your characters looks; choosing how he talks to people; picking up on a girl if you want; piloting a robot (with VO style dual-analogue controls); fighting other people in robots; breaking into houses; playing your harmonica (with a system straight out of amplitude); talking to people walking around a shenmue-ish live world, and umm trying to remember your name. That was only in the first 20 mins. Later on the game promises to be filled with bus and train taking, bicycle riding, piano playing, robot arenas, and possible dating. Irem seems to have done a really cool job at making an open ended non-linear game; though this will be something that I'll have to put some real effort and time into before I can get some feelings on it. It certainly doesn't seem bad (though the game sloooowwwws down at times; I think it's still using a modifeid Zettai Zetsumei [disaster report] engine).

Early impression grade: unknown.
Sounds interesting... I want some screens
(....well, and a western release for all these titles)...

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Thanks man. Genji sounds cool and Oz sounds odd, but potentially cool as well. It's too bad the latter will never come here. :/

RuGalz

Hmm guess I'll have to check out Oz. Was going to skip it... Bumpy Trot sounds like something worth checking out later today. :)

Acosta

Do you want I run out of money or what?

Your minor score it´s a B and there are some games I´m interested... (and I have spent 500 euros today in a graphic card :( )

Great impressions, thanks for all that hard work!

Actually, I saw a video of Oz, it looked interesting... but I thought the reason we weren't likely to see it here was because Konami or whoever didn't think it'd be worth the cost of localizing and publishing it... but it's actually because SCEA's physically _denying_ it? Ugh... what possible reason could they have? What I saw far surpasses any quality control issues, and if they did it to help Genji's sales, couldn't they get in serious trouble with that? (And possibly burn a major publisher?)

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Bebpo said:
Genji... You have one attack button which does a single string of the same attacks (though you can mix it up mid-combo by pressing the analogue in various directions)

It's context-sensitive as well, depending on your distance and direction to targets, and pulling off some of the more intricate combos (springboarding an attack off an opponent in front of you to finish on the one behind) is as much fun as the Mind's Eye/Kamui stuff.

And the second character has an entirely different moveset - though still largely two-button - to make up for not having Yoshitune's slow-mo swishness.

And some of the later levels are stupid pretty. Damn, I need to play this again.

john tv

Awesome impressions!

Bebpo, one thing you should know about Ys -- generally, you need to reach a certain level before a boss becomes defeatable. You could be at level 7 and practically useless, but then upon jumping to level 8 (the invisible barrier, so to speak), you can suddenly kick his ass. So if it's difficult, it probably means you need to level up a bit more, is all.

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:
Hmm, I might have to check out Oz. Totally going for Ys, though.

I'm currently playing through Radiata Stories (which I found for cheap) and enjoying it. Game is funny as hell (Junko Takeuchi's voice was perfect for Jack) and the battles are pretty enjoyable. I know you've played it, Bebpo. Does it stay keep the pace?

The pace slows down a bit as it opens up and because less linear. Then after the mid-game branch it picks up again. The humor kinda disappears as you get futher in which kinda sucks since the beginning is hilarious. Overall it'll have its ups and downs, but I thought it stayed enjoyable until the end. Just make sure you choose the 'good path' when the game branches. It's much more enjoyable and has more story to it.

Bebpo

Banned
D2M15 said:
It's context-sensitive as well, depending on your distance and direction to targets, and pulling off some of the more intricate combos (springboarding an attack off an opponent in front of you to finish on the one behind) is as much fun as the Mind's Eye/Kamui stuff.

Yeah, I wish the manual or game was clearer about this. The instructions say something to the effect of 'pressing different directions during battle will make him perform different attacks ^^;). For instance there's this backflip move I do sometimes if I'm fighting an enemy in front and one behind me tries to attack. Yet I can never pull it off on purpose, it just happens at times. Kinda confusing. But I agree that bouncing off someone's head and doing combos from there is always fun.

Bebpo

Banned
u_neek said:
You rock, Bep

Sounds interesting... I want some screens
(....well, and a western release for all these titles)...

screen_51b.jpg

screen_48b.jpg

screen_36b.jpg

screen_35b.jpg

screen_30b.jpg

screen_26b.jpg

screen_24b.jpg

screen_01b.jpg

screen_08b.jpg

Uter

Great impressions, thanks for taking the time.

Interesting posts like this about what would otherwise be mostly unknown japanese games is what makes GAF worth coming to.

Jonnyram

Having read your impressions, I'm thinking of picking up Oz now.
How does it compare to Drag-on Dragoon (rather than Chaos Legion)?
Is the story cliched or have you not got far enough yet?

Troidal

Great impressions Bebpo.

I've heard similar things about Gundam TO. I'm not sure yet if I am picking it up.
Kagero and Oz are also interesting but not a full price buy in my book.

price is always a deciding factor....I forsee these games dropping real fast too. I might wait.

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Having read your impressions, I'm thinking of picking up Oz now.
How does it compare to Drag-on Dragoon (rather than Chaos Legion)?
Is the story cliched or have you not got far enough yet?

Never really played much of Drag-on. Found the combat pretty repetitive and the controls stiff so I put it in my backlog long ago. Oz has a much more interesting and kinda fluid battle system (still has a bit of the A-RPG hangover where it's not quite as smooth as an action game).

Story seems pretty solid so far. It's definitely the most interesting plot and world setup out of all the games this week. You get dialogue choices which are nice, and according to the website there are multiple endings.

If you can enjoy Drag-on despite some of it's flaws, I'd definitely recommend Oz.

*edit* and where Drag-on has LONG levels. Oz levels take like 6-12 mins.

Why would it cost so much to publish?

Pay the royalty/manufacturing fees and then sell the game to various retailers. That's where the publishers make the money. And most big retail stores pick up the game themselves to avoid shipment costs.

Bebpo

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Why would it cost so much to publish?

Pay the royalty/manufacturing fees and then sell the game to various retailers. That's where the publishers make the money. And most big retail stores pick up the game themselves to avoid shipment costs.

Are you talking about Oz?

Konami has no problem publishing Oz in the US. It's not coming over because apparently Sony keeps rejecting it every time they submit it. This is one of those situations where no real logic works because it makes no sense ^^;

WHAT THE FUCK?

Why would Sony "stop it?"

It doesn't matter how well a game does or doesn't sell. Sony still gets royalty.

And if you mean that Sony cares about quality protection or shelf space, fuck Sony. Everybody steal God of War...huh, who what where, who said that >.> <.<

I just level 7 in OZ. Holy crap what a pain in the ass that level was,
especially because of the damn bomb enemies that start a fuse the second you attack them so if you don't start you chain you better run. The boss of the stage, Juju, wasn't so bad outside of my team constantly attacking her even though she was eating them alive everytime they tried.
I'm still not completely accustomed to the chaining, mostly because i'm so quick to jump into another fight the second I send someone up in the air so by the time an enemy it passed back to me my timing is completely off. When I do manage to get it right the system is awesome. It requires more strategy to pull off correctly than I thought it would.

I'm loving the music too. Glad Yamane brought back her rock tracks too.

Hey can you send me the crack you downloaded, hahah just kidding. I knew you would never do such a thing.

Psst, PM me...just kidding, again...

*cough* *cough*

Ironclad

Excellent impressions as always Bebpo. It's great to hear good things about Ys III, definitely going to pick that one up. Oz sounds great as well. Sony can screw off if they're gonna keep rejecting this. Bumpy Trot sounds interesting, definitely going to keep my eye on that one.

tetsuoxb

Bebpo - Genji or Oz - you make the call.

I really shouldnt be buying new games, especially with katamari next week... however, I am tempted.

I picked up Vib Ribbon this week for 3 dollars. It gave me that warm feeling that only famitsu writes about. :)

I ordered Oz a week ago so it should be on it's way to me now. Sounds really good. I was going to get Genji too, but I figured that it could wait since it would certainly be released here eventually.

Bebpo

Banned
tetsuoxb said:
Bebpo - Genji or Oz - you make the call.

I really shouldnt be buying new games, especially with katamari next week... however, I am tempted.

I picked up Vib Ribbon this week for 3 dollars. It gave me that warm feeling that only famitsu writes about. :)

Genji is more standard samurai action tale of good guy vs. evil guy while saving the girl. It plays well but isn't all that original.

Oz is more striking and interesting in it's visual style and music, has a battle system that plays a little rough but is very original.

Personally I'd go with Oz, but Genji is the safer bet. All I know is that I'm putting all the other games on backlog as I go through Oz this weekend.

tetsuoxb

Bebpo said:
Genji is more standard samurai action tale of good guy vs. evil guy while saving the girl. It plays well but isn't all that original.

Oz is more striking and interesting in it's visual style and music, has a battle system that plays a little rough but is very original.

Personally I'd go with Oz, but Genji is the safer bet. All I know is that I'm putting all the other games on backlog as I go through Oz this weekend.

Cool. BTW: you coming down to osaka/kyoto before you head back to the states?

Bebpo

Banned
tetsuoxb said:
Cool. BTW: you coming down to osaka/kyoto before you head back to the states?

Don't think so. I'm going to Himeji for a day but I don't think I'll have time to make any stops on the way back :\

Bebpo

Banned
Some more info on Oz:

After you get about 6 levels in you get access to the EX mode. In EX mode you can replay any stage you've done so far. When you do this you can choose which character you control (so you can play as all three and they all play quite a bit different) and you can choose which two support characters you want (you can have 2 of the same person if you want). Doing this is good for two reasons:

--The money you get in the level carries over to your main game save.
--You can try to improve all your ranking grades. According to the main site, it seems like the multiple endings will be determined by your overall performance. So at least this way you can keep going back and trying to get A's on the levels you missed.

dark10x

Oz is still sounding good. At this point, would you recommend picking it up?

Along with that, are there are any other good PS2 games that were never released in the US? There were clearly a lot of things, as browsing the shelves proved, but there was almost too much to go through (every store seemed to have a massive PS2 section).

I'd love to find some good platformers, action games, adventure games, and RPGs that I've missed out on. Any suggestions? Your help would be appreciated. :D

Bebpo

Banned
Yes, at this point I'd recommend it pretty strongly :)

btw, hopefully no one minds but I'm going to throw up my translation of the shop menu here since I have no where to host a text file and I can't figure out how to get Japanese characters to show up at gamefaqs. Hopefully this will be helpful for GAF people as well if they wanna pick up the import:

Problem with doing a shop translation is that new items keep getting added each level >_<. Anyways, up through stage 7 here:

&#21629;&#12398;&#12456;&#12486;&#12522;&#12450;&#65308;&#12501;&#12451;&#12540;&#12523;&#65310; (Eteria of life - Feel)&#12288;= Feel's defense lvl. goes up 1 [price varies]
&#21629;&#12398;&#12456;&#12486;&#12522;&#12450;&#65308;&#12450;&#12523;&#12511;&#12521;&#65310; (Eteria of life - Alumira) = Alumira's defense lvl goes up 1&#12288;[price varies]
&#21629;&#12398;&#12456;&#12486;&#12522;&#12450;&#65308;&#12524;&#12458;&#12531;&#65310;(Eteria of life - Leon) = Leon's defense lvl goes up 1 [price varies]
&#21147;&#12398;&#12456;&#12486;&#12522;&#12450;&#65308;&#12501;&#12451;&#12540;&#12523;&#65310;(Eteria of power - Feel)&#12288;= Feel's attack lvl goes up 1 [price varies]
&#21147;&#12398;&#12456;&#12486;&#12522;&#12450;&#65308;&#12450;&#12523;&#12511;&#12521;> (Eteria of power - Alumira) = Alumira's defense lvl goes up 1 [price varies]
&#21147;&#12398;&#12456;&#12486;&#12522;&#12450;&#65308;&#12524;&#12458;&#12531;&#65310; (Eteria of power - Leon) = Leon's defense lvl goes up 1 [price varies]
&#26234;&#12398;&#12456;&#12486;&#12522;&#12450;&#65308;&#12501;&#12451;&#12540;&#12523;&#65310; (Eteria of knowledge - Feel) = Feel's inventory slots get + 1 [price varies]
&#26234;&#12398;&#12456;&#12486;&#12522;&#12450;&#65308;&#12450;&#12523;&#12511;&#12521;&#65310; (Eteria of knowledge - Alumira) = Alumira's inventory slots get + 1 [price varies]
&#26234;&#12398;&#12456;&#12486;&#12522;&#12450;&#65308;&#12524;&#12458;&#12531;&#65310;(Eteria of knowledge - Leon) = Leon's inventory slots get + 1 [price varies]
&#12496;&#12540;&#12491;&#12531;&#12464;&#12501;&#12449;&#12463;&#12479;&#12540; (Burning Factor)&#12288;= special attack (triangle) gains fire element, but all attacks are powered down slightly. [1,000]
&#12496;&#12540;&#12491;&#12531;&#12464;&#12510;&#12486;&#12522;&#12450;&#12523;&#12288;(Burning Material) = special attack gains fire element [10,000]
&#12501;&#12522;&#12540;&#12472;&#12531;&#12464;&#12501;&#12449;&#12463;&#12479;&#12540; (Freezing Factor) =&#12288; special attack (triangle) gains ice element, but all attacks are powered down slightly. [2,000]
&#12501;&#12522;&#12540;&#12472;&#12531;&#12464;&#12510;&#12486;&#12522;&#12450;&#12523; (Freezing Material) = special attack gains ice element [15,000]
&#12521;&#12452;&#12488;&#12491;&#12531;&#12464;&#12501;&#12449;&#12463;&#12479;&#12540; (Lightning Factor)&#12288;= special attack gains electric element but all attacks are powered down slightly [2,500]
&#12521;&#12452;&#12488;&#12491;&#12531;&#12464;&#12510;&#12486;&#12522;&#12450;&#12523; (Lightning Material)&#12288;= special attack gains electric element [17,500]
&#12471;&#12515;&#12452;&#12491;&#12531;&#12464;&#12501;&#12449;&#12463;&#12479;&#12540;&#12288;(Shining Factor) = special attack gains light element but all attacks are powered down slightly [1,500]
&#12471;&#12515;&#12452;&#12491;&#12531;&#12464;&#12510;&#12486;&#12522;&#12450;&#12523;&#12288;(Shining Material) = special attack gains light element [12,500]
&#35211;&#12360;&#12394;&#12356;&#12473;&#12459;&#12540;&#12501; (Blind Scarf) = harder for enemies to target you [700]
&#30446;&#31435;&#12388;&#12473;&#12459;&#12540;&#12501;&#12288;(Standout Scarf) = easier for enemies to target you [500]
&#24594;&#12426;&#12398;&#20206;&#38754; (Mask of Anger) = equipped character does more hits in an attack. Controlled character can't use. [500]
&#24656;&#12428;&#12398;&#20206;&#38754;&#12288;(Mask of Remorse)= equipped character does less hits in an attack. Controlled character can't use [500]
&#24974;&#24746;&#12398;&#20206;&#38754;&#12288;(Mask of Hate) = damage done to enemy and received from enemy is 1.2x normal damage [1,000]
&#24904;&#24859;&#12398;&#20206;&#38754;&#12288;(Mask of Love) = damage done to enemy and recieved from enemy is 0.8x normal damage [1,000]
&#31934;&#38666;&#12398;&#25351;&#36650;&#12288;(Ring of the Spirits) = Yellow materia gained is 1.25x normal, but the chances of green materia appearing is .5x normal. [2,000]
&#29417;&#20154;&#12398;&#25351;&#36650; (Ring of the Hunters) = Chances of green materia appearing is 2x normal, but yellow materia gained is .5x [1,000]
&#34311;&#29983;&#12398;&#35703;&#31526; (Talisman of Ressurection) = Recovery from death is 25% faster [3,000]
&#20877;&#29983;&#12398;&#35703;&#31526;&#12288;(Talisman of Regeneration) = When tension gauge is lvl.1 or higher you slowly recovery life [12,000]
&#29486;&#36523;&#12398;&#35703;&#31526;&#12288;= (Talisman of Devotion) In return for 1/4th of your life, your partners are revived from death state [5,000]
&#27835;&#30290;&#12398;&#35703;&#31526;&#12288;(Talisman of Recovery) = revive your partners from death [10,000]
&#24489;&#27963;&#12398;&#35703;&#31526;&#12288;(Talisman of Revival) = When your life hits 0, you will instantly revive with 50% life [1,500]
&#30495;&#37742;&#12398;&#39318;&#39166;&#12426; (Brass Necklace)&#12288;= Max HP up 10% [1,000]
&#37504;&#12398;&#39318;&#39166;&#12426;&#12288;(Silver Necklace) = Max HP up 20% [5,000]
&#37628;&#12398;&#12363;&#12383;&#12403;&#12425; (Steel Garment) = Recieved damage is 10% down [2,000]
&#37504;&#12398;&#12363;&#12383;&#12403;&#12425;&#12288;(Silver Garment) = Recieved damage is 15% and if you only take slight damage you will not be knocked around [10,000]
&#21147;&#12398;&#33109;&#36650;&#12288;(Bracelet of Power) = Damage done to enemy is up 15% [8,000]
&#24375;&#21147;&#12398;&#33109;&#36650; (Bracelet of Strong Power)&#12288;= Damage done to enemy is up 30% [16,000]
&#39746;&#12398;&#33109;&#36650; (Braclet of the Soul)&#12288;= Tension gauge increase at a 5% faster rate [10,000]
&#38360;&#39746;&#12398;&#33109;&#36650;&#12288;(Braclet of the Fighting Soul) = Tension gauge increases at a 10% faster rate [25,000]

Bebpo said:
btw, hopefully no one minds but I'm going to throw up my translation of the shop menu here since I have no where to host a text file and I can't figure out how to get Japanese characters to show up at gamefaqs.

Take a screen capture of your post, edit it down to just the text, save it as a GIF, and submit it as an image?

That Genji battle system seems a lot like Jade Empire to me if I'm reading it right. One hit kills, slow time, single strong attack, string of normal attacks, dodging, etc.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So the Y's III remake is different from the PS2 remake of the same game? I'd like to hear more on it since I had a good time playing through the "dissapointing" SNES port over a decade ago.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Thanks for posting up the shop list, Bebpo - I thought I was doing pretty well with my own translations but now I see some are laughably, character-killingly wrong.

I'm enjoying it much less than I thought I would so far, as I'm a sucker for third-person action games and combo-count porn, but at least the cover(s) and manual art are amazing.

dark10x said:
are there are any other good PS2 games that were never released in the US? I'd love to find some good platformers, action games, adventure games, and RPGs that I've missed out on.

Hungry Ghosts, Poinie's Poin, Seven, Venus and Braves, and Chikyuu Boueigun spring to mind.

dark10x

I'll be seeing Ys pretty soon, can't wait. No giant box for me, though. I wanted that so bad. :( Shame there's no voice acting again. Having voice and text is always helpful when an unknown kanji shows up. Still, this should be cake compared to my first go round with Ys VI back in 2003. I've learned a whole lot in 2 years...

I'll probably pick up Oz next week when I get to my new pad, though. The good impressions + the great trailers and music samples on the site convinced me. :p Considering that I loved games like Drag-On Dragoon and Chaos Legion (seriously), I think I'll have no problems enjoying this...

I'll until Genji sees US release, though.

dark10x

Got Ys and played some. This is such an awesome "remake". They seriously put forth some real effort here. It's a totally new game...

The music is just awesome, the game feels wonderful (and runs perfectly), and I can understand most of the text (yay!). Rockin! I'm jumping back in for some more...right now.

Fucking Sony, what the fuck with them?!

I'd buy Oz. You can fuckin' feed me anchovie pizza before I'd bother with Genji. >:|

I wants mah tittays Sony! MAH TITTAYS!

dark10x

Damn, first boss in Ys is kicking my ass on normal. Regular enemies are pushovers, but the boss...

AWESOME game so far. Could become the best Ys yet. I'm really enjoying the fleshed out story too. I mean, it's basically all the same, but it's neat to see the character fleshed out. You can blast through the intro scenes of the original Ys III in about 2 minutes...but it takes ~20-30 minutes here. Having a blast, though.

Bebpo

Banned
D2M15 said:
I'm enjoying it much less than I thought I would so far, as I'm a sucker for third-person action games and combo-count porn, but at least the cover(s) and manual art are amazing.

Oz has a pretty high learning curve. I'd actually say it's about as high as Ninja Gaiden although in a different way. Even if you don't 'click' with it and figure it out you can still make it through a lot of the game, but it won't be very fun and a lot of parts will be frusteratingly annoying. (Though I think there are actually 1 or 2 sections [and one boss] which are geniunely bad annoying design)

About 2-3 hours in I felt like I got it. I was enjoying it pretty much but parts would piss me off and I was taking a lot of damage and not getting really high combos or anything.

About 9 hours in I finally passed the learning curve test and fully realized how you play. Now I'm getting lots of S ranks in my rank screen, have tons of money, and am usually in full life the entire time...and it's a lot of fun :)

The main things for fully breaking the learning curve are IMHO:
--Back and Jump cancelling. The game never teaches you this during the main story but it's in the training menu. Very worth doing if you haven't yet as it's essential in playing.
--Learning the rise of the guage. You want to be getting to the point where you run into a room with 10+ enemies big and small; find the smallest guy and start a combo; and BOOM! from their always be combo-ing the entire room and unleashing supers every couple of secs. Since the multiplier keeps going up (I think the max is 16x) you'll get a ton of life/money/? if you're always in a combo. It's fun and clears the rooms fast, gets you S rankings in money and time usually too :)

About 12 hours in now, ep16 myself. I'm really digging the game, and I love how the gameplay keeps itself fresh. First it upgrades with the EX system around ep6, then there is another gameplay change soon after, and then a few eps after there's a big gameplay addition or two added and the game just keeps getting more and more enjoyable. At this point I'm pretty sure I'll be going for 100% completion with all A rankings (not sure if there are overall S rankings yet; I'm guessing if there is a hard mode it would give you an S in difficulty which could let you get all S ranks); especially if there are special endings for A or S rankings at the end (I'm currently about 70% A and 30% B). Also I have a bunch of ideas about what unlockables there will be and if they are what I'm thinking it should be fun and add even more replay to the game.

To me the game feels like Chaos Legion if it was 100x better :)

john tv

Brandon F said:
So the Y's III remake is different from the PS2 remake of the same game? I'd like to hear more on it since I had a good time playing through the "dissapointing" SNES port over a decade ago.
It's nothing at all like the shitty PS2 remake -- this right here is the real deal, baby. It shits all over the original version; it's basically running on an improved version of the Ys VI engine, and it looks, sounds, and feels AWESOME.

As an Ys fan, I am very, very satisfied.

Bebpo

Banned
Finished Oz at about 14 hours.

Plot was really cool and ties into the Wizard of Oz nicely :) Some really nice stylish CG movies in there too. Music is just totally awesome the entire time; I'm buying the ost the day it comes out.

There is also a huge amount of replay value to the game. Beating it the first time, the story ends at X number of eps. Well going by Japanese sites there are like 7-8 hidden eps/levels that branch into a bigger storyline and better ending. Sounds awesome, can't wait to see the expanded tale. There is also a bunch of unlockable art pieces, movie gallery, tons of costumes, and even some nice gameplay additions.

Sony really needs to get kicked in the face if Oz never comes to the US. Oz is one of the best action/rpg games I've played and everything is just so well done and polished. This will go on the 'essential import' lists in a few month after more people have played it I think.

If Sony really plans on completely denying it forever, I might actually do a full dialogue translation faq as there isn't 'too' much and I will have a lot of free time in August.

Brofist

Nice impressions. I'm liking Genji so far, but I am a sucker for the Onimusha series so that explains it. Graphics are a little rough, but nice to see the game runs very smoothly.

dark10x

john tv said:
It's nothing at all like the shitty PS2 remake -- this right here is the real deal, baby. It shits all over the original version; it's basically running on an improved version of the Ys VI engine, and it looks, sounds, and feels AWESOME.

As an Ys fan, I am very, very satisfied.

Yes yes yes, it totally rocks. Chester just kicked my ass into the Lava Zone and I am having a blast. The boss fights are extremely fun. Challenging, fast paced, and backed by kick ass music.

Best Ys yet!

Top Bottom