• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The only impressions you need today! (Oz/Genji/Gundam/Bumpy/Kagero/Ys)

BluWacky

Bebpo said:
To me the game feels like Chaos Legion if it was 100x better :)

Bah, sold. I liked Chaos Legion quite a lot despite it being fairly crummy, and I've had my eye on Oz for ages - now I HAVE to get it.

Cheers for the impressions.

Troidal

Hey Bebpo, I have watched some OZ video clips and I have a question. When you toss the enemies to your partners, how accurate is that? Like does your partner sometimes end up not receiving your throw since they are busy attacking nearby enemies? Or do you just toss it to their general direction and your pretty much assured they will chain attack for you?

Bebpo

Banned
As long as it's within their range (which is really large) they'll always catch it. The tough part is hitting their throws ^^;

Troidal

Bebpo said:
As long as it's within their range (which is really large) they'll always catch it. The tough part is hitting their throws ^^;

Ah...thats what my 2nd question was going to be, I guess thats the tough part huh.

I should probably try it at some store's demo kiosk and see whether I like it. The character art and music is already there for me.

Bebpo

Banned
Troidal said:
Ah...thats what my 2nd question was going to be, I guess thats the tough part huh.

I should probably try it at some store's demo kiosk and see whether I like it. The character art and music is already there for me.

It's pretty easy to hit their throws back, but it just has a high learning curve and takes practice before you can combo long strings together.

Just finished the game for a 2nd time (overall time ~23 hours) and it branched slightly into a new path and I got a completely new ending which wrapped up all the story points. In the end I think the story was really good, especially compared to most action/action-rpgs.

Bebpo

Banned
I just wrote up a full plot summary so since it looks like it's not coming to the US if anyone wants to import it but they don't know Japanese...go for it!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
So know that you finished OZ... what's up on Gundam.. Everytime I see the trailer I want to buy it..

Bebpo

Banned
Blackace said:
So know that you finished OZ... what's up on Gundam.. Everytime I see the trailer I want to buy it..

I dunno. If you can put up with a low-budget 16-bit style old-school (note no voices AT ALL even in battles) simple rpg but with modern graphics and a bit of loading for random battles (maybe 5 secs in, 5 secs out) then go for it. Naturally the main appeal is building Gundam. If you want to build your own plastic toy out of existing Gundam parts (and you can color them!) then sure, pick it up :) Definitely more for Gundam fans than RPGers.

Btw, I know after the DS game you were saying you've been more into Gundam games lately...so did you ever play One Year War?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Bebpo said:
I dunno. If you can put up with a low-budget 16-bit style old-school (note no voices AT ALL even in battles) simple rpg but with modern graphics and a bit of loading for random battles (maybe 5 secs in, 5 secs out) then go for it. Naturally the main appeal is building Gundam. If you want to build your own plastic toy out of existing Gundam parts (and you can color them!) then sure, pick it up :) Definitely more for Gundam fans than RPGers.

Btw, I know after the DS game you were saying you've been more into Gundam games lately...so did you ever play One Year War?

No.. but I love RPGs more than Gundam... it was the mix of both that made me giddy.. but as a Gundam fan is One year war the goods?

Bebpo

Banned
Blackace said:
No.. but I love RPGs more than Gundam... it was the mix of both that made me giddy.. but as a Gundam fan is One year war the goods?

Yeah. One Year War is really fun and you play through the entire story of the OYW series that started Gundam. Plus it should be really cheap since everyone was discounting it for like 2000/3000yen a few months ago. Fun arcadey 2-3 hour game with 4-5 min levels. Done by the Ace Combat team so it's pretty polished and fun. All fully-voiced with all the major dialogues from the series. OYW is definitely 'the goods' :)

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Okay, so Bebpo was right. THIS TIME*. Oz is over too soon and rough around the edges, but the combo system shines like Io in space, and dressing your characters in Robbie the Rabbit suits is suprisingly disturbing.

Is there a source other than "I read it on the Internet" for the SCEA rejection rumour? Just before I go and do something stupid like chasing the official channels.

* ;) if required.

Bebpo

Banned
D2M15 said:
Okay, so Bebpo was right. THIS TIME*. Oz is over too soon and rough around the edges, but the combo system shines like Io in space, and dressing your characters in Robbie the Rabbit suits is suprisingly disturbing.

Is there a source other than "I read it on the Internet" for the SCEA rejection rumour? Just before I go and do something stupid like chasing the official channels.

* ;) if required.

:D

Glad you ended up enjoying it. It gives me some faith in the team in case Konami decides to assign Suikoden V to them (though after Oz being a total bomb in Japan they might just all end up jobless :\ ).

I think the official source for the rejection rumors is actually Konami itself. Though there was no official "our game has been rejected several times" press release; The info has been credible enough that it most likely 100% true.

The Take Out Bandit said:
I'd buy Oz. You can fuckin' feed me anchovie pizza before I'd bother with Genji. >:|

I wants mah tittays Sony! MAH TITTAYS!

Not to be shallow, but I'm curious, is there boobage in OZ or something? :p A little God of War bonus? ("Kratos, you must venture through the fire pits, up the Cliffs of Madness, past spiney bladey things, and then I'll meet you in my sheer top-" "DONE!")

Bebpo

Banned
Kulock said:
Not to be shallow, but I'm curious, is there boobage in OZ or something? :p A little God of War bonus? ("Kratos, you must venture through the fire pits, up the Cliffs of Madness, past spiney bladey things, and then I'll meet you in my sheer top-" "DONE!")

Not really. Although you can dress one female character as "good schoolgirl" or "bad schoolgirl" after you beat the game :p

Bebpo

Banned
Wanted to bump this as I've pretty much unlocked everything in Oz and damn if this isn't one of the most substance filled games I've played in a long time.

To unlock the two bonus modes (one which is OMG cool, and another which is funny and cute), the 2 bonus ep chapters in the main story (one which is really genius bizarre, and one which is a good subplot answering some of the main plots questions), the 4 hidden playable characters, unlock all the art gallery minus 1 pic (bad ending title screen), unlock the sound gallery and move galleries, and see 3 of the 4 endings (there is a horribly bad ending but you have to get all C ranks and that means taking like an hour an ep for 10 min eps...so yea I'll skip this), and to take all the various branching paths and see all the dialogue; it took me 3 full playthroughs and about 30 hours total. And I'm currently going through the 2nd bonus mode which may be another 3-5 hours long (with its own completely original story) if I'm thinking correctly at how they implemented it.

After all this my final complaints are:
--AI is not perfect, sometimes an AI will just stand as a pass goes right by them. Can be frustrating but only happens pretty rarely. I'd say the AI does what you want it to 85% of the time. Could've used a few more months fine-tuning it a bit more.
--Sometimes you get cheaply juggled for a while which can be annoying.
--Switching between enemies locked-on mid-combo is pretty confusing. Though I don't know how they could do any better.

Still, despite the minor flaws the game is my favorite story heavy action game since ZoE2 :)

Electrii

I got the import of Oz, and it's a ton of fun. tossing enemies around with your teammates is just plain fun, and makes the game very addicting.
The art is great, and I love the character designs. I wish I knew japanese so I could know what that little devil cat is saying :(
Other than that, language hasn't been a barrier so far, so I'd say it's worthy of an import.

It'll be really weird if they don't bring this one to the US.

Top Bottom