• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds |OT| Fully Automated Hysterical Killer Galactic Capitalism

Havoc2049

Still think Max and Parvati are the best companions BUT you must fail their quests. Tell Parvati to focus on the crew and her job and she ditches the BS romance (talking to parvati on the ship after meeting Junlei) and for Max you must kill the guy in fallbrook (Reginald) and make sure the seer does not help Max which makes him give up on religion thereby still maintaining his "violent disposition".
I just played the companion quest for Max all the way to the end. It was the first companion quest that I completed and the production value seemed to really tick up a notch at the end of the quest. The end of the quest was a trip and I’m glad I finished it. Does finishing or not finishing the quest effect combat? Max seems to be fighting the same as always.

Yesterday I played Kingdom Come Deliverance. I felt the game is much better than Outer Worlds...

Kingdom Come Deliverance is definitely better than The Outer Worlds. You should definitely play KCD, along with all the excellent DLC. I think I’m enjoying the Outer Worlds more than some and I would give it an 8/10, but KCD (Especially the Royal Edition), is a 9.5/10 for me.

Still think Max and Parvati are the best companions BUT you must fail their quests. Tell Parvati to focus on the crew and her job and she ditches the BS romance (talking to parvati on the ship after meeting Junlei) and for Max you must kill the guy in fallbrook (Reginald) and make sure the seer does not help Max which makes him give up on religion thereby still maintaining his "violent disposition".

What do you mean I "must" fail their quests. Because of your ideological reasons or is there some sort of game based benefits for doing so?

Zeypher

Not ideological simply gameplay. Parvati's quest is a long ass fetch quest and Im sorry but that shotgun romance came from nowhere. Whats worse is they have their fucking date on our ship which Parvati in the end fucking abandons. You want a date they do it on Groundbreaker or something. Her entire romance BS quest annoyed me all the way to the ending slides. She joined the ship/crew to serve as the engineer and that was the reason I accepted her onto the ship, not for her to suddenly decide to permanently settle down on the next ship she saw. Doing her quest turns her away from her previous character and role. I fail her quest and she focuses on being the engineer of the ship.

For Max its simple I hated him turning into a Hippie which changed all his dialogue as if he became a different person. Failing his quest still gave me the angry vicar personality. The game took inspiration from firefly in a very hamfisted manner. The crew on firefly were not all fighters some had jobs aboard the ship Doctor, Engineer etc something which this game seems to forget. Some companions should have been crewmates instead of squadmates.

Teslerum

oh this is a shame! should have relied more on lootboxes and short superficial gameplay :(

Those are actually not bad numbers.
In the EU it was mainly beaten by sports games which is obvious in october. Unless you do insane numbers thats a challenge for any game. That its only two places ahead of Medevil shouldn’t be counted as bad either. That game was insanly popular in europe. (In comparison didn’t even chart Top 20 in the US)

And in the US it was only beaten by COD and Breakpoint which, let’s be honest, had probably a 100 times more budget and were never going to be beaten anyway.

MadYarpen

I just played the companion quest for Max all the way to the end. It was the first companion quest that I completed and the production value seemed to really tick up a notch at the end of the quest. The end of the quest was a trip and I’m glad I finished it. Does finishing or not finishing the quest effect combat? Max seems to be fighting the same as always.

Kingdom Come Deliverance is definitely better than The Outer Worlds. You should definitely play KCD, along with all the excellent DLC. I think I’m enjoying the Outer Worlds more than some and I would give it an 8/10, but KCD (Especially the Royal Edition), is a 9.5/10 for me.

Don't worry, I am playing KCD. Not sure how many hours, but I am after (I guess) a point of no return, so pretty far into the story.

It's just I stopped playing KCD to try Outer Worlds and after stopping Outer Worlds to go back to KCD, I have no doubt which one I prefer. And to some extent this is valid comparison, Obsidian said this is not AAA game, and I think KCD also was not (please correct me if I'm wrong though). KCD despite obvious flaws feels very ambitious. Outer Worlds seems amateur sometimes...

Teslerum

Don't worry, I am playing KCD. Not sure how many hours, but I am after (I guess) a point of no return, so pretty far into the story.

It's just I stopped playing KCD to try Outer Worlds and after stopping Outer Worlds to go back to KCD, I have no doubt which one I prefer. And to some extent this is valid comparison, Obsidian said this is not AAA game, and I think KCD also was not (please correct me if I'm wrong though). KCD despite obvious flaws feels very ambitious. Outer Worlds seems amateur sometimes...

Not really. I mean you're free to compare both games (and I actually like KCD more as well though for completly different reasons and I don't really see a lot of similiarities between both games) but a budget comparison is a bit more than apples and oranges

Budget wise you do look at samey numbers, but a completly different country with different cost of living (Prague vs California) and KCD has also technically been in development since 2011-2012 with multiple investors. That's a completly different situation.

MadYarpen

Not really. I mean you're free to compare both games (and I actually like KCD more as well though for completly different reasons and I don't really see a lot of similiarities between both games) but a budget comparison is a bit more than apples and oranges

Budget wise you do look at samey numbers, but a completly different country with different cost of living (Prague vs California) and KCD has also technically been in development since 2011-2012 with multiple investors. That's a completly different situation.
OK, I see. I admit I didn't look into the numbers. So let's just say I am playing two rpgs at the moment and to my surprise kcd wins easily.

I stopped playing this game after the intro. The world just feels SO STATIC. Like you're walking in a theme park or museum not a video game.
Every character tries to be edgy or funny/weird in some way.

Females look like transgender mtf's on hormones, sorry I'm out.

As Gordon Ramsay would say,... It's bland.
It's kinda how I ended up feeling. Between what you mentioned and the shallow combat and rpg elements, it lost a lot of it's lustre fast, unfortunately. It's an A-AA game with a AAA coat of paint.

EDMIX

It's kinda how I ended up feeling. Between what you mentioned and the shallow combat and rpg elements, it lost a lot of it's lustre fast, unfortunately. It's an A-AA game with a AAA coat of paint.

I felt this when I saw lots of the previews. Every time I saw the game it just looked so dated and last gen. I really wanted this day 1, but the concerns just mounted and I felt more ok just letting it slide into 2020 used for me. I still like the team and love supporting new IP, but can't ignore the issues many have brought up. I worried about this one when I saw some of those demos of the game.

Teslerum

To be fair here, it was always marketed as one/never called AAA. From the first announcement of the Private Division label to the announcement of the game and the subsequent first Gameinformer coverage (especially), till release. It was always a smaller game on an AA budget introducing a new IP.

Prime Example

Last edited:
To be fair here, it was always marketed as one/never called AAA. From the first announcement of the Private Division label to the announcement of the game and the subsequent first Gameinformer coverage (especially), till release. It was always a smaller game on an AA budget introducing a new IP.

Prime Example

Oh, I know. I don't feel betrayed or lied to or anything. Just disappointed and wishing they could've somehow pulled it off.

Last edited:

Raven117

Outer Worlds felt defanged to me. I know those guys can write sharper, edgier jokes, but they just....didnt..... We can posture why they didnt, but in the end, they didn't. And the story suffered for it.

It seems to me they didn't quite know what they had in the game, until they packaged it up. In other words, I think they had more of a Fallout in space thing going when they started their planning, but ended up more with a Bioware/Mass Effect/Firefly situation going on. I wish they leaned the eff into the Firefly thing. Also, the game really would have benefited from a voiced protagonist. The writing just wasnt strong enough to carry it talking at you the whole time.

I don't want to be one of "those" guys, but I couldn't help but feel that the writing was neutered due to certain sensitivities (kinda like BL3's writing). It just didn't have that edge that some of their previous games had. Also, (gawd, I hate being this guy), quite using fucking "they" when referring to a singular person. Its confusing in a game. Write around it, say "the person" or something, but they is simply bad grammar and I don't know whether I need to look for more than one person or not. (Im not hating on the pronoun, just write around it.)

Overall, the game is a solid 7. Its serviceable, but otherwise forgettable. Honestly, this might be my least favorite Obsidian game (and I hate played through Pillars of Eternity because I liked the story, though hate crpgs).

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Got it the Friday it came out, had it finished by the end of the weekend. Did a second supernova play with some other choices.

Normal was cake, but hard added a lot more of a tactical approach to combat and basic survival. I didn't feel as OP as the normal playthru.

That said, on the harder difficulty it was over 40 hours. Normal was around 30 (but I did complete every sidequest and character story).

It's interesting how people the The Outer Worlds threads are cheering that it's a short game (20-30 hours) and that RPGs and games in general today just take too long, but people in the Death Stranding thread (possibly some of the same ones) are cheering that they have spent 30 hours walking around and are "just getting started". Just goes to show gamers are fickle and no one game will be a good fit for everyone.

It was a solid experience, but it's not 'Fallout in space' like it was marketed. There's no "open world" (and to be fair, the devs backed off on that claim the closer they got to release). It's a hub-world where you follow the tram tracks, but there's no incentive at all to go off-roading. No hidden locations you wouldn't otherwise find just by doing the missions. None of that sense of exploration that Fallout has. To me that's what Fallout was all about.

It's a solid shooter, fun for what it is. Played more like Borderlands or Bioshock than Fallout or Mass Effect. Sure you have the VATS ripoff and leveling from New Vegas and some decent dialogue options a la ME, but even then I didn't feel like they made much of a difference. Do I bully somebody? Smooth-talk them? Or just lie? Does it matter? The result is the same either way. There were a few big game-changers, but most of it was superficial.

The stories weren't balanced; some where deep and thoughtful, the others just felt like rushed afterthoughts. Some good that made me want to find out what happened, others just felt like busywork.

Would I recommend? Certainly. It was a fun experience. Worth $60? If that's your kind of game, sure. If you're uncertain, I'd say wait til you find it on sale.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I've been loving this game so far, but hit that point you hit in every game where you're still enjoying it but starting to kinda glance over to your other stack of unplayed games and are like ok I've played enough let's get this over with right now, it's getting a little stale. I'm on Monarch right now and I'm still having fun, but I'm gonna try and wrap this up this week and move on to the next game.

So what's this I'm hearing about one of the late game faction missions being bugged.

DID THEY SERIOUSLY PULL ANOTHER GREAT KHANS!!!!????!!

Got it the Friday it came out, had it finished by the end of the weekend. Did a second supernova play with some other choices.

Normal was cake, but hard added a lot more of a tactical approach to combat and basic survival. I didn't feel as OP as the normal playthru.

That said, on the harder difficulty it was over 40 hours. Normal was around 30 (but I did complete every sidequest and character story).

It's interesting how people the The Outer Worlds threads are cheering that it's a short game (20-30 hours) and that RPGs and games in general today just take too long, but people in the Death Stranding thread (possibly some of the same ones) are cheering that they have spent 30 hours walking around and are "just getting started". Just goes to show gamers are fickle and no one game will be a good fit for everyone.

It was a solid experience, but it's not 'Fallout in space' like it was marketed. There's no "open world" (and to be fair, the devs backed off on that claim the closer they got to release). It's a hub-world where you follow the tram tracks, but there's no incentive at all to go off-roading. No hidden locations you wouldn't otherwise find just by doing the missions. None of that sense of exploration that Fallout has. To me that's what Fallout was all about.

It's a solid shooter, fun for what it is. Played more like Borderlands or Bioshock than Fallout or Mass Effect. Sure you have the VATS ripoff and leveling from New Vegas and some decent dialogue options a la ME, but even then I didn't feel like they made much of a difference. Do I bully somebody? Smooth-talk them? Or just lie? Does it matter? The result is the same either way. There were a few big game-changers, but most of it was superficial.

The stories weren't balanced; some where deep and thoughtful, the others just felt like rushed afterthoughts. Some good that made me want to find out what happened, others just felt like busywork.

Would I recommend? Certainly. It was a fun experience. Worth $60? If that's your kind of game, sure. If you're uncertain, I'd say wait til you find it on sale.
solid writeup

drganon

Just beat the game yesterday. Now in the process of getting some trophies I didn't get earlier. May or may not do a second playthrough. Overall it was a solid game but I miss the sprawl and open world of a fallout. This might sound blasphemous, but I enjoyed fallout 4 more than outerworlds.

Virex

Banned
N5IpTNS.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
I've been loving this game so far, but hit that point you hit in every game where you're still enjoying it but starting to kinda glance over to your other stack of unplayed games and are like ok I've played enough let's get this over with right now, it's getting a little stale. I'm on Monarch right now and I'm still having fun, but I'm gonna try and wrap this up this week and move on to the next game.
I feel like every person who gets tired of this game does so at the point of getting to Monarch.

It's the "you'll finally see what's wrong with the game by now if you're ever going to see it" point of the game.

You aren't tiring of a good formula, you're seeing through just how shallow the formula is.

Finished it over the weekend, loved it. In particular, the companions, their interactions among each other, and their insights into the world around them were a highlight and really well done.

Mixing which two I'd take with me at any given time to see what they'd talk about and how they'd interact with NPCs was a lot of fun.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I messed up a quest
I wasn't able to get Sanjar and the Iconoclasts to make peace because I missed a quest.
And I don't care I like the game I'm ready to finish it. Hopefully tonight. I honestly started skipping a lot of dialogue on sidequests most of it doesn't mean anything to me anymore.

One thing I find disappointing though is unless I'm far from the end, and I don't think I am, I'm at the very end of Monarch and I'm level 30+... there's been really no challenge whatsoever and there seems like a lot wasted perks. I'm fine with having to pick and choose, but doing everything in this game will probably net you like 1/4th of all the perks, seems kind of a waste. Probably should have been able to unlock one at every level to at least experiment. I don't know it just feels weird going through a game and a ton of stuff left unlocked, and I don't really think this game has a TON of replay value. Sure some quests you could side with other people or routes, but it's not significant to where it completely changes everything.

Dthomp

Finished the Platinum Trophy for this last night. Not sure where I stand overall on this game to be honest. To me this felt like a Fallout game without any of the soul that comes with those titles, just a big open empty shell.

The characters that can join you are bland as hell with generally really bad character questlines (Especially Parvarti).

Gameplay was just fine, rips off the Vats system, but the regular gunplay while still not great felt better to me then FO had.

Overall I enjoyed that this wasn't like 80 hours long, for me though a decent 7.5/10

Teslerum

The Outer Worlds is included in that. A post-release plan hasn't been announced yet but there's still a team in The Outer Worlds corner working on something. Obsidian isn't leaving it behind in a rush to work on Microsoft projects.

"Actually it's the opposite," Urquhart said. "What's always been interesting about the independent developer before was: who was going to pay for support? If I'm not being paid for support by the publisher then [...] we have this weird thing of how do we do it?

"In the Microsoft world, we get to run a studio based on what makes sense for the franchises and I'm not having to make these day-to-day decisions so much. People are obviously loving Outer Worlds and we made it because we love it, so now we get to keep on doing things to help support [it]."

It makes sense - not least because Obsidian, and presumably now Microsoft, owns The Outer Worlds IP. Tim Cain mentioned this in an interview with Game Informer a while back, saying, "we get to retain ownership of the IP". Supporting it works out well for everybody, and who knows? One day The Outer Worlds 2 might be an important next-Xbox game.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
If they find themselves with the crew, time, and money to properly rip off Fallout next time, they'd have a pretty awesome game. I hope that's what Outer Worlds 2 will be.

Oh, and hire some new writers. Some of the writing is so fucking bad.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

n0razi

Once you hit Byzantium... it becomes "lets wrap this up asap"

I liked it, but I did feel like it was only half a game. some more companions would have been good with some more story as well. I think it was a good start and a proof that obsidian can make their own fallout style RPG All the parts are there and I think that their second effort will be much better. just needs bigger worlds that you want to explore, more likeable characters and intresting side quests and companion quests. maybe lose a bit of the in your face wokeness. I mean I dont have an issue with progressive themes but at least make them interesting.
Also make it so when you complete main story you can carry on doing side quests and living in the world. don't make the end ...THE END.

Teslerum

I dont' want to watch the video as I'm only in Monarch and don't want spoilers, but can anyone tell me if this speed run is done with glitches or a legit path to beating the game that quickly?
Comparativly with other speedruns there's not many glitches (yet) involved. But, they also go for a secret ending where you

Fly your spaceship into the sun (possible on the low intelligence path)

Humdinger

Gold Member
I'm surprised to see all the "meh"-level impressions of the game, given how well-reviewed it was. There are a number of people who liked it, but unless I'm mis-reading, it seems like more people were unimpressed or disappointed. In particular, I was surprised to hear the negative remarks about the writing and story ("shallow," "boring," "safe," etc.). I expected the writing and story to be one of the game's strengths.

I bought the game when it came out, but I haven't played it yet. I adopted a dog around the same time, and he has taken up most of my free time, the little rascal. I will get around to the game eventually.

Has anyone tried a dialog-heavy or sneak-hack playthrough? Seems like most people are emphasizing guns. I'm wondering if people who played the game in less conventional ways had a different experience.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm surprised to see all the "meh"-level impressions of the game, given how well-reviewed it was. There are a number of people who liked it, but unless I'm mis-reading, it seems like more people were unimpressed or disappointed. In particular, I was surprised to hear the negative remarks about the writing and story ("shallow," "boring," "safe," etc.). I expected the writing and story to be one of the game's strengths.

I bought the game when it came out, but I haven't played it yet. I adopted a dog around the same time, and he has taken up most of my free time, the little rascal. I will get around to the game eventually.

Has anyone tried a dialog-heavy or sneak-hack playthrough? Seems like most people are emphasizing guns. I'm wondering if people who played the game in less conventional ways had a different experience.
It seems like the general consensus is that the game starts off spectacularly and really clicks in the beginning - which makes it that much more disappointing when you keep playing and start seeing the "magic behind the curtain" as it were. Some of the game's systems that work so well in the beginning don't scale up to the same effectiveness when you're level 25 (ie, perks and weapons) and the "companion quests" seem epic until you realize it's just side quests with little to no reward outside of advancing the subplots.

By the end of the game, it felt like a "you've got to make your own fun" type of game. Which is fine because you're given a pretty impressive sandbox in which to do so. The problem is that a lot of the sandbox you're given doesn't act the way you would expect it to - like killing every NPC in a single faction doesn't change any of the faction-specific dialog you're presented with going forward. You start to realize that your choices only have consequences when you're in a dialog tree, and that's probably the most disappointing thing about this game.

Otterz4Life

I’m loving the game. I see a lot of criticism of the game wearing thin and people giving up around Monarch. That’s too bad, because that’s exactly where the game hooked me in and opened up. I was lukewarm on the game up to that point, but it keeps getting better. I think the mission of stealing the gas for SubLight hooked me in. Monarch is way bigger than any areas that came before it with way more to do and see, with an actual sense of exploration!

TTD is way better and more balanced than VATS. VATS is basically playing the game for you. You click on head 3-5 times and watch the enemy health bar tick down. TTD is far more limited and feels way more skill based. Lining up a head shot in slow motion is so satisfying.

I don’t like any of the companions other than SAM and Nyoka, but I do keep Ellie with me sometimes. A no-companion, stealth run would be a lot of fun. You can sneak around a LOT in this game.

Im 27 hours in. Just finished Free Radio Monarch and am set to go to Byzantium. Gotta tie up some loose ends on the Groundbreaker. I see the Mass Effect vibes.

Last edited:

Zeypher

SAM and Nyoka is a entertaining companion pairing. TTD has its uses, problem is it comes into its own when you got full movement speed during TTD perk and the relevant cost reduction ttd skill effects. That later payoff can be slightly outputting which can make many abandon ttd outright.

Last edited:

chillinggamers_

Neo Member
Playing on Supernova Difficulty has made me dislike the game even more. The balancing in this game is atrocious. I’d still give it a 6-7. I’ll eventually finish my review once this last playthrough is done.

Just finished it. Glad it's over. Once the initial luster fell off it became one of those stockholme syndrome games where you finish it just because. Some thoughts:

- Not enough interesting fun quests
- too many junk items
- too few weapons
- too many times I found myself impatiently listening to the dialogue, skip skip skip.
-Walking to objectives and fighting little pockets of people just felt so unatural and gamey. In fallout the outposts and people in their shanties felt more organic. There wasn't a "story" you had in your head in these engagements, just mindless.
-Graphics didn't have restraint, it was so saturated it's sometimes hard to see what you need to see.
-combat just was barely serviceable, the only saving grace was the companion specials, I miss the fun anticipation of vats.

Overall I don't think time will be kind to this game. The internet is too eager to replace and shit on bethesda (rightfully so) and jumped the gun saying this invalidated their studio. I feel most will backtrack on their high scores.

Just finished it. Glad it's over. Once the initial luster fell off it became one of those stockholme syndrome games where you finish it just because. Some thoughts:

- Not enough interesting fun quests
- too many junk items
- too few weapons
- too many times I found myself impatiently listening to the dialogue, skip skip skip.
-Walking to objectives and fighting little pockets of people just felt so unatural and gamey. In fallout the outposts and people in their shanties felt more organic. There wasn't a "story" you had in your head in these engagements, just mindless.
-Graphics didn't have restraint, it was so saturated it's sometimes hard to see what you need to see.
-combat just was barely serviceable, the only saving grace was the companion specials, I miss the fun anticipation of vats.

Overall I don't think time will be kind to this game. The internet is too eager to replace and shit on bethesda (rightfully so) and jumped the gun saying this invalidated their studio. I feel most will backtrack on their high scores.
I felt the same.

First hour - wow, this is amazing.

Five hours in - it's still good, but not as amazing as I thought.

Twelve hours in - bash buttons to get through every conversation asap, pick the option that will lead to the game finishing asap, I can't wait for this to be over, and it's a one and done. Not doing another playthrough.

Some more thoughts.

-As players we subconsciously put the same effort and interest in story based games as the developers did making it, I found myself rushing through most of the story in the game as they did creating it.

-Going to a new world or town was more an exercise in anxiety and "here we go again" than joy. I would avoid talking to bartenders, I just didn't care about any of these people, I didn't want to talk to mostly anyone, nor attempt to keep track on the mess of boring quests piling up.

-They did fine initially, the first town Edgewater felt great, the pattern soon showed itself and the quality dropped of.

-did anyone else "hate fuck" the dialogue and npc's in this game? I found myself so disinterested in the obvious political aspects found myself choosing dialogue to counter their bullshit whenever I could, not "roleplay" as myself in this world at all. It was something else.

-The Witcher 3 really spoiled us on sidequests didn't it? I NEVER had the same feeling as I did in Witcher when a quest ended where I said to myself: "wow, that could have been a movie and game in itself" You really felt the effort, and FUN the CD Project Red developers had brainstorming interesting MINI STORIES, not side fetch quests. Worlds felt like an old, lazy game.

zeorhymer

-They did fine initially, the first town Edgewater felt great, the pattern soon showed itself and the quality dropped of.

-did anyone else "hate fuck" the dialogue and npc's in this game? I found myself so disinterested in the obvious political aspects found myself choosing dialogue to counter their bullshit whenever I could, not "roleplay" as myself in this world at all. It was something else.
I actually came to the same conclusions you did. I'm like hey cool a Fallout in space and boy was I wrong. I thought Edgewater was done well. Except for the last bit of mission between the exiles and the canning company. I'm like wow, that's as 2 dimensional actors as you're ever going to get. Then I started to see some repetitiveness on the Groundbreaker and the deal breaker for me was on Monarch. It's as if the whole universe just hates men. After that everything was a slog. I can barely get myself to finish the game and I'm at Byzantium at this point.

SAM and Nyoka is a entertaining companion pairing. TTD has its uses, problem is it comes into its own when you got full movement speed during TTD perk and the relevant cost reduction ttd skill effects. That later payoff can be slightly outputting which can make many abandon ttd outright.
Nyoka was the only fleshed out character I liked. Everyone else had no thought into them.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Top Bottom