• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Point & Click Adventure PC Game Appreciation Thread

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
junkster said:
Just to keep this thread from dying (hey, I want more posts like this, so get to it!)

My first PC game, came with our IBM 30/286, circa 1988:

kq4.jpg

Kngsqst4.png

Kings%20Quest%204%20-%20The%20Perils%20of%20Rosella4.png

Kings%20Quest%204%20-%20The%20Perils%20of%20Rosella3.png

Kings%20Quest%204%20-%20The%20Perils%20of%20Rosella5.png

This was my first one too along with Colonels Bequest. I still remember the glasses you had to put on to read the secret messages to play the game.

Danj

Coop said:
For a more recent adventure game, I'd recommend the new Sam and Max games from Telltale Games. The puzzles for the most part are easy and logical and the story is very funny.

OK, well, I was thinking of getting these anyway, and the digital distribution version seems cheap, so I bought it. Just one question though, do I need to have played the original Sam and Max game?

Google

Danj said:
OK, well, I was thinking of getting these anyway, and the digital distribution version seems cheap, so I bought it. Just one question though, do I need to have played the original Sam and Max game?

It might help to have played the original, but you dont NEED to have played it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Danj said:

You don't need it, but you, sooner or later, should :)

Danj said:
not at all. you'll miss out on a few in jokes in the office, that's about all.

GhaleonQ

I believe that I've played every mediocre-or-above adventure game released since King's Quest I: Quest For The Crown. Some were purchased (the good King's Quest and Space Quest collections), some were illegally downloaded (where was I supposed to find a quality version of Toonstruck?), and others were experienced both ways (The Neverhood, I would make out with your molding clay mouth if you were a woman).

To this day, I hold King's Quest VI to be the best ever, The Neverhood to be the most underrated, and The Curse Of Monkey Island to be Lucasarts' finest moment (yeah, I said it!).

Tr4nce

This thread has to live on.

No one has mentioned this guy yet??

494px-LeisureSuitLarry7.jpg

Come on GAF, there's gotta be more adventure game lovers than this... Where's all the love?

IoCaster

Great thread let's keep it alive.:)

The Lucas Arts games...DotT, MM, Monkey Island series. All great.

Adventure text games ---> Zork series. With my personal favorite Zork:Nemesis. The dark theme and some really bizarre puzzles were some of the best gameplay ever.

Gabriel Knight series with special fondness for GK 2. Awesome game.

The Dig was a fun game

Myst the original game really captivated me for some reason. I played it without using any hints or walkthroughs and it took me a while, but the sense of satisfaction when I finished was excellent.

The Tex Murphy games were decent.

The Longest Journey and Syberia are some recent games that I've enjoyed. I'm playing so many console games right now that I barely have time to crank up the PC. I do plan on getting Dreamfall and Indigo Prophecy soon.

IoCaster

wazoo said:
I remember Last Express from Jordan Mechner

first (?) realtime cellshaded 3D adventure game

total sales failure

Hell, I totally forgot about that game. It was pretty good although some of the timed sequences were a PITA.

Tr4nce

I installed Broken Sword: The Shadow Of The Templars this week. It has been roughly 7 years since I played this game. It runs fine on XP with VDMsound. I didn't remember the music was that good! It's like good movie music. The conversations and the graphics are done well too. This game rocks so much.

monfacon.jpg

brokensword1_screenshot_640x480_01.jpg

BS1.gif

:D

Google

Joe Molotov said:
I've been playing Runaway: Dream of the Turtle lately. The graphics are wonderful.

They are, but so far, my progress has been stiffled by the disgustingly over the top americanisms.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Joe Molotov said:
I've been playing Runaway: Dream of the Turtle lately. The graphics are wonderful.

Yeah, I bought it on steam.
Fans of the first will like the second,

but
(story spoilers)
Supposedly the ending sucks, To Be Continued
Not a big deal assuming we see the sequel next year.

Brings back Memories of the 7th Guest. My cousins bought the game and My brother, my cousins and myself...were up all night trying to finish the game that night....

Played with the lights off...the ghost sequences and real life acted out videos were great....

I have to find that game again.

I have TLJ...I should load it up...since I have yet to play it.

Porkepik

Loom was really an amazing game, as well as Maniac mansion and zak mac kraken (these ones on the C64 and Amiga).

Kyrandia by westwood was also an excellent serie.

I'm playing Overseer (tex murphy remake on DVD of mean street ) and the black dahlia at the moment.

I really would like some new things by lucasarts or sierra, I undertand that there are a lot of similar types of game (runaway, dreamfall) but these editors still detein the rights to some of the best, I would like to see a new maniac mansion /dott, indiana jones, loom(imagine this one with today's computer capacities), kings quest, gabriel knight hell even a zak mac kraken 2.

Zweisy1

It's good to see all the Lucasarts and Sierra love.

No love for Microprose's adventure trilogy though? Rex Nebular, Return of the Phantom and Dragonsphere were all very solid adventure games. It's a shame they didn't do more of them.

dock

room1.JPG
center_quaint.gif

What do you guys think of 'escape room' games?

These are things such as Crimson Room, Quaint Room and Mobai Room, and all that jazz. (I much prefer Mobai and that guy's stuff to the Crimson Room games).

I've been recently making a small 3D escape-room game which would probably play like a point-and-click (there's an avatar, and such). I wonder whether there's much appeal in these games from point-and-click fans.

Kabouter

Suikoguy said:
Yeah, I bought it on steam.
Fans of the first will like the second,

but
(story spoilers)
Supposedly the ending sucks, To Be Continued
Not a big deal assuming we see the sequel next year.

You are right, I finished it a while ago.
I really liked it, 8,5/10 for me :).

Tr4nce said:
I installed Broken Sword: The Shadow Of The Templars this week. It has been roughly 7 years since I played this game. It runs fine on XP with VDMsound. I didn't remember the music was that good! It's like good movie music. The conversations and the graphics are done well too. This game rocks so much.

Yes! Finally someone with love for Broken Sword.

some of the greatest games ever made, I've completed 1/2/3 and im about 5 hours into the 4th.

These games will never get old.

Just installed The longest Journey. I have the two cd version. Ugh...running into problems.

Just started chapter one. I can't look at the diary once I acquire it...some texture problems??

Then sometimes she streaks as she walks...leaving behind a streak of continuous images of herself.

I installed the latest patch 1.6.

This is why I don't like to bother with older games.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm probably going to go on a PC adventure gaming binge this summer, and would like some good recommendations of games to play through, as well as mention of which games to start out with....

I'm sad to say that pretty much the only P & C adventure games I've played through in my life are the ones made for kids (There was this one series I played through when I was like 4 or 6 where you played as some purple talking car... don't remember anything besides that).

I think I played through a few others, such as Where In Time is Carmen Sandiego?, but, otherwise, that's it.

Raist

Banned
amelie_minuit.png

What about th*SLAP* Ok maybe not :D

Seriously, I absolutely LOVED the Broken Sword and Discworld series. Well, BS 1&2, and the first Discworld and Discworld Noir. Brilliant games. My fav ones.
And the Monkey Island, too. And DotT of course.

Full Throttle was nice too.

And the Dracula series, and maybe Necronomicon, were ok.

Why most of adventure games now are nowhere near the ones we used to have ? I mean the golden age of Adventure games seems to be really over.

McBain

Great thread. Monkey Island rocked (and still does). I never played 3 or 4, so i can't comment on that, but the first ones were sweeeet.

monkey1.png
monkeyi1.jpg

A few gems I haven't seen mentioned so far:

Agatha Christie style murder mystery, a great game and very innovative for its time with both its style and its 24-like gameplay, from Delphine Software, Cruise for a Corpse
4875_0.png

Microprose's first and only adventure game, Dragonsphere\ has one of the best plot twists in a game I've seen.
Dragonsphere_1.jpg

Best use of Cthulhu Mythos in a game, Prisoner of Ice from Infogrames.
Foto+Prisoner+of+Ice.jpg

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Leonsito said:
I'm the only one that loved Gobliiins, Gobliins 2 and Goblins 3?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobliiins

These were pretty awesome adventure games, and quite unconventional. They focused on the puzzle aspect very intensively--a good design choice, IMO. They were packed with a peculiar French weirdness and art style. The third was probably my favourite, followed by the second then the first. I didn't like Woodruff (the unofficial fourth game) that much, though.

660.gif

Chairman Yang said:
These were pretty awesome adventure games, and quite unconventional. They focused on the puzzle aspect very intensively--a good design choice, IMO. They were packed with a peculiar French weirdness and art style. The third was probably my favourite, followed by the second then the first. I didn't like Woodruff (the unofficial fourth game) that much, though.

660.gif

Are these freeware yet? i wonder if i can get them to run on my vista machine.

Goblins 3 was riddiculous on some of the puzzles, never could finish.

Man what a great thread, with a ton of great games

I started getting hooked on adventure games with the Sierra Quest games on my Amiga computer as a kid. Loved Police Quest, and the Kings Quest games.

Man i remember as a kid playing Kings Quest...3? was it? Its the one where you start off as a servant for this evil wizard. It took me forever to figure out how to just get out of that place w/o him showing up and killing me. That game was hard back in the days of no strategy guides, or any assistance!

Then as i got a better computer i finally got the chance to play LucasArts adventure games, which i must say are the best of the best. Probably my favorite was Full Throttle. But Dig, Curse of Monkey Island, Grim Fandigo were all great too.

I'm also glad to see some love for Gabriel Knight. I never played the first one, but i must say the beast within has to be the only game with FMV actors that i thought truly pulled it off.

In recent years I've hunted down and played Sam & Max & Day of the Tentacle. Both excellent games that hold up well.

I still want to play the first 2 monkey island games and the first Gabriel knight game.

Lawfer

Banned
El Papa said:
Caratula+Lunacy.jpg

I remember getting into this game back in the day.

Out of all the adventure games I played, that was the only one I really enjoyed. This one and Shadow of Memories. I played Still Life and all these other hyped adventure games and I can't see why they are so hyped lol

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
pancakesandsex said:
Are these freeware yet? i wonder if i can get them to run on my vista machine.

Goblins 3 was riddiculous on some of the puzzles, never could finish.

Not freeware, to my knowledge. If you do manage to get them through unofficial means, I'm pretty sure they work perfectly with Dosbox.

legend166

I was pretty much LucasArts exclusive when it came to adventure games. I can't remember exactly why, because I was pretty young. I think it may have had to do with the fact that the majority of them were really, really funny.

A couple weeks ago I watched a whole bunch of Monkey Island clips. The nostalgia rush I got when I heard the theme from the original was amazing.

On a related note, does anyone remember the Hugo triology
lol ign
? I don't think it was very good, but I think I got it in one of those "1000 games on one disc!" thing and I remember playing it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
appreciated hard... i decided 2009 was going to be an adventure gaming blowout for me. a few gems struck out, so i've compiled a list of games i need to play ASAP:

playing now:
ace attorney 3

to play:
snatcher
monkey island 1 / monkey island 2 (need to find an affordable copy somehow...)
monkey island 3 (found a complete big box it for 30 bucks shipped :D )
full throttle
grim fandango
ace attorney 4

the sam+max / wallace+grommit episodes will surely pop in as they release on XBL but for now, that list will keep me plenty busy.

this thread makes my heart so warm...

Gomu Gomu

jon bones said:
to play:
snatcher
monkey island 1 / monkey island 2 (need to find an affordable copy somehow...)
monkey island 3 (found a complete big box it for 30 bucks shipped :D )
full throttle
grim fandango

I just bought my very first P&C game a couple of days ago. It's Broken Sword: The Shadow Of The Templars Director's Cut on Wii. If I find my self enjoying this game, I'll definitely go back and play those games on your list.

rSpooky

wow , great thread. Amazing how many games inhere I stillown or have owned or even have played.

Not all them work anymore on xp :(

Fandango ,Monkey island series and blade runner were some of my favorites.

here is some of my personal collection
mini-mini-DSC_3483.jpg
mini-mini-DSC_3485.jpg

mini-mini-DSC_3486.jpg
mini-mini-DSC_3487.jpg

mini-mini-DSC_3489.jpg
mini-mini-DSC_3490.jpg

mini-mini-DSC_3491.jpg
mini-mini-DSC_3492.jpg

mini-mini-DSC_3493.jpg

mini-mini-DSC_3495.jpg
mini-mini-DSC_3496.jpg

Johnas

It's funny this thread got bumped, I've been trying to do some research on great adventure games from the past that I've missed. My family never had a computer growing up, and my two neighbors/friends with computers had the early mac (black and white, with Beyond Dark Castle, for example) and one of the really old Apple computers (I think), black and green. I played a handful of games on theirs, but that was before all these great games were created, and I only had consoles as a kid.

It's turning out to be a challenge, though. Ebay is the obvious legal solution, but extreme scarcity plus crazy prices are making that pretty difficult. I did play games like Maniac Mansion, Shadowgate and Uninvited on NES as a kid, but the games in this thread (that I've never played) that have really piqued my interest are:

Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2
Day of the Tentacle
Grim Fandango
Broken Sword
Broken Sword 2

I know Broken Sword just got remade for Wii/DS, but I'd really rather play the original first.

It bums me out that I missed these games in their prime, but better late than never, especially given that the current generation of console gaming as a whole has been pretty disappointing for me. I have really never been into PC gaming at all, so I could add a ton of other stuff to the list like Torment, the Baldur's Gate games, etc. But I'd really like to start with these classic adventure games, and work my way up.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Thought I saw this thread from somewhere before. Kind of funny to notice how relevant the crap on GAF can still be:

Illuminati in Jan '07 said:
I'm bored of all the same threads lately (PS3 am doomed, DS prints money, my console is raping your console, the 100th I bought some random console what games should I now buy thread)

Tr4nce said:

monfacon.jpg

brokensword1_screenshot_640x480_01.jpg

BS1.gif

:D

I know it's a fap thread and all. But I've played this game for the first time a few month ago, and it really disappointed me. There's almost no puzzles or freedom, it's an interactive novel. A pretty nice novel, nice story, and writing. But as an adventure game I thought it was terrible. Is number 2 any better?

Anyway, I really love the Myst games, I love how natural the gameplay is, the whole story/puzzle/design is tied together so well, especially in the first game. Is there any other adventure with clever puzzles like that? The only game that comes close would be Day of the Tentacle, the three characters/quest is so fucking clever, you can get stuck with one, and do stuff with another character, and by the time you're doing it, you have figured a way to resolve the other's problem, the game structure is really clever in this game, I always loved time travelling, but this game took the concept to another level.

nny

Oh this thread is back <3 Right now I'm (finally) playing The Longest Journey for the first time, and beat Beneath a Steel Sky again a few days ago. Love the genre.

Top Bottom