• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Point & Click Adventure PC Game Appreciation Thread

RockmanWhore said:
I know it's a fap thread and all. But I've played this game for the first time a few month ago, and it really disappointed me. There's almost no puzzles or freedom, it's an interactive novel. A pretty nice novel, nice story, and writing. But as an adventure game I thought it was terrible. Is number 2 any better?

Number two is lot more linear and limited if I remember correctly (it's been a while). There are lots of areas, but they are small, and there aren't many items. And you usually can't return to the previous area. So it's quite a bit more linear.

Darktails

ss1-1.jpg.jpeg

Gabriel Knight 3 - I finally managed to make the game run on my computer and the effort was so worth it. It's truly an amazing experience. :)

DieH@rd

Banned
Darktails said:
ss1-1.jpg.jpeg

Gabriel Knight 3 - I finally managed to make the game run on my computer and the effort was so worth it. It's truly an amazing experience. :)

Agreed. That 12 step treasure map quest was sooo epic.

eXistor

I ordered Ceville just a few days ago, tbh, it doesn't look that great, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

The one PnC I haven't played that I'm flat-out ashamed of is Grim Fandango. I'm a pretty big Tim Schafer fan and love all his games, but this one just slipped through my fingers. I bought it when it was released, but my pc at the time couldn't handle the awesomeness I guess and returned it. When I did get a decent pc, the game wasn't available anymore. I was on a strict "no illegal copies" diet then (still am, but I'll make the occasional exception) and now my new vista-pc isn't able to run it at all.

It's one of rare games on my "play before I die" list.

But yeah, I love PnC games. I play through Monkey Island 1-3 and DotT at least once a year.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sanitarium, The Longest Journey and Grim Fandango are the peak of the genre for me. You must try these games.

I also recommend Still Life and Blade Runner

nny

HK-47 said:
Sanitarium, The Longest Journey and Grim Fandango are the peak of the genre for me. You must try these games.

I also recommend Still Life and Blade Runner

I love Sanitarium.

I loved this game and it's sequel. Exactly what a good adventure based on a non-original source should be like. I remember fiddling around with DOS to get all the sound options working as a kid. I remember seeing it in a Compusa and my dad getting it. I actually never beat it till years latter when a friend reveled using the flower basket to get the cufflinks out of the barrel which leads to the Blackwell! and it was just starring at me for years (on and off) keep in mind this is only when the UHS was around and paying for online stuff was still a decade or more away from ebay and amazon, so I only could see the questions as the answers were encoded. Also gamefaqs OR SPOILER CENTRE (for the old school fans here) were still a while away.

Just an absolutely great game and one I will replay (along with the sequel) every couple of months or so.

Anasui Kishibe said:
a long time ago, LucasGames was known in the gaming community as one of the best software houses around, and that title certainly was well deserved since almost all their games were no less than superb, in particular the point and click ones. A lot of us will never forget the supreme delight brought by playing games like Day of the tentacle, Monkey Island 1,2,3, Maniac Mansion (let's not forget Zak Mc Kracken!), Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis and more. It was awesome to be a gamer those days.
But as it usually happens in the gaming industry, when everyone's attention is focused at one direction, missing true gems is definitely a sure thing. And I'm going to introduce you one of those forgotten gems, a game that really has nothing to envy to the best LucasGames adventures. I'm talking about The lost files of Sherlock Holmes: The case of the serrated scalpel.

serr_c.jpg
76_1_medium.jpg

developed my Mythos Games, published by EA, this game deserves a comfortable seat among the gods of the genre. I will try to talk about its greatness without trying to sound too enthusiastic, but I'm no reviewer so forgive me if I'll sound way too overheated.

First thing: ask yourself, what do you love about games like DOTT, IJATFOA or MI? The story, obviously, comes first. Gripping plot, lots of twists, occasional humor (more prominent in other games, this is a mystery after all) but we all agree about one thing: the story must be good, and dialogues must be even better. In SH you have both

The story: a young stage actress is found dead just outside the thater. The responde is clear: homicide. Inspector Lestrade and Scoptland Yard are on the case, and surely they don't see how the best detective in the world, Sherlock Holmes and his trusted friend, Dr John Watson, could be interested in what seems to be just an "ordinary" homicide. Holmes steps on the CS, and after a couple of minutes, he notices case's much more interesting that what it looks. Which is true, since you will have to investigate through the whole city of London to search hints, interrogate suspects and witnesses and run for your very life to break the case and arrest the vicious killer. A heavy number of plot twists await you, and you will have to use your brain to see who's behind this terrible plan. As Holmes used to say a number of times, the game is afoot
Lost%20Files%20of%20Sherlock%20Holmes%20-%20The%20Case%20of%20Serrated%20Scalpel_5.png

Dialogues are incredibly well written, and they do really make you feel like you're into a Conan Doyle's story. You ARE in Victorian London, you ARE Sherlock Holmes, you're completely sucked in in a matter of seconds
Lost%20Files%20of%20Sherlock%20Holmes%20-%20The%20Case%20of%20Serrated%20Scalpel_4.png

Second: the music has always been a very important part in a PNC game, and this makes no exception. An intense, melancholic, atmospheric soundtrack sets the right mood, and the suspension of disbelief is guaranteed.

Third: classic interface? Check. You've got the usual serie of commands here, just like in other games. Which is still good and very intuitive.
Lost%20Files%20of%20Sherlock%20Holmes%20-%20The%20Case%20of%20Serrated%20Scalpel_1.png

1731.jpg

Fourth: graphically, game looks great (for the genre, and for the time). Animations are top notch and everything looks very detailed. Did I mention EVERYTHINBG is clickable in the game? Yes, even if a chair doesn't carry hints or a music box doesn't have a double bottom, you'll read a very detailed and well written description of it. Another big point in an already finely crafted game. Oh, you can skip descriptions with a single click, so don't worry.
4988.jpg

Fifth, and probably my last point: is this game lenghty? You bet it. The excellent story follows the typical pattern: a small thing leads to a bigger thing, a bigger thing leads to a more complicated one and at the end of the game, you'll have spent at least 25 hours, visited a variety of places (a zoo, a college, 221B Baker Street, a morgue, a theater, an apartment, a mansion, a park and more) and met at least 30 characters. And better yet, you'll feel satisfied because game's NOT EASY AT ALL.
4961.jpg

Lost%20Files%20of%20Sherlock%20Holmes%20-%20The%20Case%20of%20Serrated%20Scalpel_3.png
4985.jpg

1729.jpg

4986.jpg

In short: if you happen to be a fan of the old PNC games, if you want to sink your body and soul inside one of the best, original, unofficial Sherlock Holmes stories, if you want a incredibly well written, immensely detailed and captivating game, get The case of the serrated scalpel. It really is a forgotten gem and like I said, it certainly deserves its mention among the other well-known titles.

Some noteworthy mentions:

Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender: A complete Space Quest rip off, but a great game and pretty funny in it's own right, i think Microprose published it.

Hero's Quest/Quest for Glory 4: Another awesome Sierra series

Adventures of Willy Beamish: You played an 8 year old boy with a pet frog, but the game had more mature humor and some really great animation and graphics for the time (Dynamix)

Rise of the Dragon: Bladerunner inspired adventure game (Dynamix)

m3k

Illuminati said:
I'm bored of all the same threads lately (PS3 am doomed, DS prints money, my console is raping your console, the 100th I bought some random console what games should I now buy thread)

This thread has been a long time coming, but knowing GAF's PC gaming population this thread probably going to die rather quickly.

props on the thread... bookmarked for when uni work is done, i feel like playing some point n click

rSpooky

Jcgamer60 said:
Indiana jones and the fate of atlantis (my favourite)

The last express (also really good)

I will get the new indy game on the Wii just for the fact it will include this game !!

Gagaman

Leonsito said:
I'm the only one that loved Gobliiins, Gobliins 2 and Goblins 3?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobliiins
Never played the first or third one, but I loved Gobliins 2 on my Amiga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beEeYbszF6w
A complete playthough of it. Still love the intro. :lol

I do have the first two games on PC, but I haaven't fuigured out how to run them. Can't get my head around Scumm.

Did you ever see the 4th 3D one? It looks horrible! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eduD4XZ5xq4

GhaleonQ

RockmanWhore said:
I know it's a fap thread and all. But I've played this game for the first time a few month ago, and it really disappointed me. There's almost no puzzles or freedom, it's an interactive novel. A pretty nice novel, nice story, and writing. But as an adventure game I thought it was terrible. Is number 2 any better?

1 is the only one that I'd consider a very good adventure game, and the rest only exacerbate the things you disliked about it. Plus, they're less good, generally. AVOID.

Gagaman said:
Did you ever see the 4th 3D one? It looks horrible! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eduD4XZ5xq4

Let's not forget how some adventure franchises' corpses are desecrated. Gobliiins got off easy.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
So I signed up for GOG to download Beneath a Steel Sky. A few questions:

-Approximately how many hours is the game?
-The download came with a comic drawn by (!!) Dave Gibbons... should I read this before or after I play?

<3

eXistor

jon bones said:
So I signed up for GOG to download Beneath a Steel Sky. A few questions:

-Approximately how many hours is the game?
-The download came with a comic drawn by (!!) Dave Gibbons... should I read this before or after I play?

<3
It's quite short. Provided you don't get stuck too often, I'd say 5 hours max.

rSpooky said:
I will get the new indy game on the Wii just for the fact it will include this game !!
This is news to me! +1 sales for the Wii version then. I wasn't even gonna get the game as I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a bog-standard action game. I can play FoA any time I want, but it's still a good reason to get the Staff of Kings, maybe they'll get the message and make a new PnC Indy.

Oh but that day will never come...

rSpooky

eXistor said:
This is news to me! +1 sales for the Wii version then. I wasn't even gonna get the game as I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a bog-standard action game. I can play FoA any time I want, but it's still a good reason to get the Staff of Kings, maybe they'll get the message and make a new PnC Indy.

Oh but that day will never come...

see a preview here
http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=13510

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The only point-and-click adventure game I've ever played to completion was Grim Fandango. I enjoyed it immensely except for a fair amount of the puzzles.

My question is: What classic adventure games would you recommend that have great writing, stories, characters, music, etc., but also clever puzzle design? I didn't particularly like Grim Fandango's trial-and-error gameplay mechanics, and I had to resort to using a walkthrough far too often.

epmode

Trial and error is kind of a staple of the genre. If you're looking for something well-written that won't occasionally stump you, it's a pretty short list: Dreamfall

And I'd recommend against playing it before The Longest Journey since it's a direct sequel. It's just that TLJ has a lot more of the crazy adventure game logic you may not appreciate.

shuyin_

Banned
As epmode said, Dreamfall has great writing, stories, characters, but i can't recommend it to you for 2 reasons:
1. you said you wanted clever puzzles. Dreamfall has no puzzles - it has a puzzle the first time you get to Arcadia IIRC and a few minigames, but othert than that it's actionish, with some (broken) stealth thrown in and a lot of running around.
2. As good as the writing is, the game ends with a cliffhanger and Dreamfall Chapters is uncertain at this point.

A very nice story imo is The Dig, but i couldn't recommend that either as the puzzles are trial-and-error.

What you want is Day of the Tentacle. Trust me and you can thank me later.

epmode

shuyin_ said:
1. you said you wanted clever puzzles. Dreamfall has no puzzles - it has a puzzle the first time you get to Arcadia IIRC and a few minigames, but othert than that it's actionish, with some (broken) stealth thrown in and a lot of running around.
2. As good as the writing is, the game ends with a cliffhanger and Dreamfall Chapters is uncertain at this point.
Mostly true! Still brilliant! God I love Dreamfall.

Day of the Tentacle is wonderful but it's certainly not one of the easier games around. If you're keen on trying a Lucasarts game, I'd recommend Full Throttle although it's not on any DD sites.

Speaking of which, it's a shame that Lucasarts has apparently given up on re-releasing the rest of their back catalog. Free money!

Bebpo

Banned
Has anyone played the Edna & Harvey game? I heard the German version got rave reviews, but a lot was lost in the English translation and the English version reviews have been just ok-ish.

Amazon has it as a digital download for $15.

jgkspsx

Funny, I just installed Beneath a Steel Sky. I was very surprised to see the Gibbons comic. I like it a lot so far.

Tr4nce

So, I eh finally installed ScummVM on my Mac this week, and today I finished the VGA version of Leisure Suit Larry in the land of the Lounge Lizards after not having played it for several years, and I was very satisfied. The jokes are nice, the puzzles aren't too difficult and the atmosphere in this is just very relaxing.

The thing with adventure games is though, that adventure games do ofcourse have a replayability factor, but for most of them, all of the puzzles are still fresh in my memory, so it wouldn't be very fun to play it all over again. The only one which I don't recall anymore at all is Sam and Max Hit the Road. Played it wayyyyy back. So that's what I'm gonna play next!

:D

Top Bottom