• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Press Weighs In: E3 Conference Reviews

Enosh

In short, all three conferences were shocking, this has been one of the worst E3s in living memory, and they all deserve EDGE's eloquent scorn.
I think I've heard that every year since I am on gaf to the point that this description becomes completely meaningless hyperbole

personally, like every year I have seen a lot of great games I plan on getting and playing well into 2013 and I have seen games I don't care about
the only problem I see is the push to ESPN and shit MS does, they should keep this stuff to their own conferences or that tech conference and focus on games for E3

Boss Man

Hahahaha, CNN article is gold.
KuGsj.gif

There is no problem with them it's with everyone else, they're the only ones telling the truth, the rest don't seem to want to bite the hand that feeds.

I think this is pretty obvious as only two of them criticized Sony for the lack of Vita support during their conference. This was Vita's time to shine. It won't get another E3 since next year will be PS4. It really should have been "The Vita Show" and it wasn't by a long shot. So surprised that so many game sites seemed to not care in the least but they will be the first ones to write "Vita is doomed" articles after the fact to get hits.

Makes no sense to me. I can only guess they don't want to mess up their backstage access during E3 by saying bad things.

JdFoX187

Banned
I think I've heard that every year since I am on gaf to the point that this description becomes completely meaningless hyperbole

personally, like every year I have seen a lot of great games I plan on getting and playing well into 2013 and I have seen games I don't care about
the only problem I see is the push to ESPN and shit MS does, they should keep this stuff to their own conferences or that tech conference and focus on games for E3

Yup. Every year it's the same cry of "this is the worst E3 ever!" This one was pretty bad, I'm willing to admit. But there were some good games on display. The big three conferences may have been pretty bad, but it's not like that wasn't to be expected. Microsoft and Sony aren't going to unveil their new hardware until the year it comes out. They're just coasting on what they have right now, so we're not going to see a lot of amazing new IPs demoed or announced this year. Nintendo always puts on a terrible show it seems like.

I really expect next year's conferences to be great with all of the next-gen announcements and new games coming out. But it's not as if there isn't a lot of stuff coming out between now and then to keep us satisfied. This holiday quarter is still pretty packed and the first half of 2013 looks absolutely insane.

Boss Man

XD omg :lol
Am I laughing at Nintendo or CNN? I'm just not sure. Either way that is fucking hysterical. Might deserve its own thread.
Pretty sure it does. It's probably worth discussing the name/image Nintendo is giving off. This is a pretty good example of what 'people' might think about Wii U.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
They know their audience.

Who IS their audience? I never quite figured this out.

The reviews sound about right to me for the most part. Weak showing by MS and Nintendo was lacking as well. EA was nothing special. Sony and Ubisoft had the strongest showings by far.

Game Informer actually gave a positive review about Nintendo?

O_O.

Well, these are the people who gave Sonic Generations about the same score as Sonic 06.

kewlmyc

Wow, way to suck on that Sony and MS cock, IGN. I agree with EDGE on this one, very disappointing E3 from the big 3 right now.

Zee-Row

Banned
All I know is that this is one of the worst E3s in recent memory. Nobody won and its obvious that E3 isn't a show for gamers anymore.

Mooreberg

So after reading that, the journalists consensus is

Sony>Microsoft>Nintendo

???
Sony had a terrible conference, it was just saved by having some great demonstrations from proven developers (well, the Beyond demo was lackluster, but if you liked Heavy Rain you're excited for the game).

On the strength of live demos of exclusive games, Sony did well. But those games not coming out this fall, and they spent a TON of time on Move stuff that will never sell and virtually ignored their handheld that just came out. In other words, things are still great for people who love first party PS3 games, but the overall focus of the presser was bewildering.

They just kind of had the least stupifyingly awful conference. Microsoft has a big first party title coming out this fall (Halo 4) so despite the onslaught of terrible Kinect stuff, they are for all practical purposes ahead of the curve in the near term.

Maybe these conferences are just a reflection of how bleak the fall is looking. A lot of games got delayed, so they were not being shown, so we got to see more Assassins Creed and Call of Duty. Zzzzz.

mantidor

All I know is that this is one of the worst E3s in recent memory. Nobody won and its obvious that E3 isn't a show for gamers anymore.

I think it actually never was. Is about getting the press and investors to know stuff, a lot happens backstage and is secret.

However it also morphed into a showcase show, which is obvious from the big three streaming their conferences to everyone and stuff like that. I think this E3 specially sucked because we are right at the gates of the next generation, and the big players are keeping stuff still under wraps.

I hope at least :(

Calcaneus

I don't know why I even bother. I can't remember the last time I was excited by an E3 press conference. Maaaaaybe the 2010 3DS stuff? And that's only because I wasn't expecting anything out of it.

B.O.O.M

Nintendo was the worst by a mile. If we forget they have a new console coming out in a few months then maybe they will be on par or slightly better than MS. But they dropped the ball, Again!

markatisu

EDGE's review of Nintendo was actually thorough. I agree that if we had to rank 3 shitty conference its PS3/Nintendo>>>>>>>MS

We may have been disappointed by Nintendo but holy shit MS basically told all gamers to fuck off. All they are doing is setting the next Xbox up to be a casual HTPC for those inept to have an HTPC and stupid enough to pay for access to things that should be free

Nintendo and Sony have problems though, the Wii U is confusing to many and the Vita is a 2nd attempt to revive the PSP platform that has failed. Meanwhile the 360 is not doing anything much for console gaming

Sony was clearly the best out of the big three, but even their's was rather meh. Unfortunately, the other two were downright terrible, and I wonder what crack pipe IGN was smoking during the Microsoft media briefing. You should consider including Ubisoft and EA impressions though. Ubisoft was the clear winner, followed by a distant Sony, and everything else falls below that.

My Top 5 Games of the Show -- So Far...

1) The Last of Us - far and away, best of the show
2) Watch_Dogs
3) God of War: Ascension
4) Rayman: Legends
5) Assassin's Creed III

Honorable Mentions: Pikmin 3, FarCry 3, and Beyond (most interesting non-playable/demoed title)

Top 3 is right on\.

JaxJag

Banned
EDGE's review of Nintendo was actually thorough. I agree that if we had to rank 3 shitty conference its PS3/Nintendo>>>>>>>MS

We may have been disappointed by Nintendo but holy shit MS basically told all gamers to fuck off. All they are doing is setting the next Xbox up to be a casual HTPC for those inept to have an HTPC and stupid enough to pay for access to things that should be free

Nintendo and Sony have problems though, the Wii U is confusing to many and the Vita is a 2nd attempt to revive the PSP platform that has failed. Meanwhile the 360 is not doing anything much for console gaming

The PSP failed when it sold over 70 million systems?

What's a success?

zroid

Banned

I basically agree with you. Nintendo was by far the most disappointing, but largely because of my outlandishly high expectations. I should have known better. Still, for a hardware launch, they should have known better too.

Sony was acceptable, if mostly banal, and Microsoft, as you said, just clearly doesn't give a shit anymore. They're riding high on their recent 360 and Kinect sales success and have taken a dump on people who actually want original games from them.

Replicant

The reviews are not surprising so I'll just focus on what games I'm anticipating:

1. The Last of Us
2. Dead Space 3
3. Beyond
4. Assassin's Creed 3
5. Watch Dogs/Resident Evil 6

Top Bottom