• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PSP Appreciation and Collecting Thread

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
yo, local shop has mega man dash and dash 2 for $15 and $20 respectively. worth it? jp only text?

Shinriji

Guys, how many games the PSP have? Including digital games but excluding minis and the PS1 games.

Numbers that I found online ranges from 950 to 1400. Anyone have better numbers?

PaulBizkit

Guys, how many games the PSP have? Including digital games but excluding minis and the PS1 games.

Numbers that I found online ranges from 950 to 1400. Anyone have better numbers?

It depends, Japan has way more PSP games than Europe and North America.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
What would you suggest Virtua Tennis World Tour or Virtua Tennis 3?
Also how is Sega Rally on PSP?

Can't really suggest Virtua Tennis 3 as I haven't got it, but World Tour is a really good entry.
Sega Rally on PSP is better than the console version in my opinion, as they've removed the whole GeoDeformation aspect making it more arcadey. It's a really solid game.

BearChair

So I realize this is a long shot, but I'm hoping someone can help me.

I bought a used PSP from Goodwill last week, and it has been functioning great – at least until tonight.

I've been playing Symphony of the Night in the Dracula Chronicles collection. Unfortunately, it seems that the right shoulder button is busted. I tried jostling it around, and that didn't help. Any suggestions on what I might try to get it working?

Transforming into the mist is impossible without it. Making matters worse, that appears to be the one action that can't be altered through the system menu. It's insanely frustrating.

Plus, I'm worried that the other games I have coming might require the right shoulder too. Does anyone know if any of the Persona remakes for PSP make the right shoulder mandatory?

PantsuJo

Outrun 2006 and Ridge Racer (1&2) are the best racing game on PSP IMO.
Totally agree. I don't remember if Outrun2006 on Psp goes at 30 or 60 fps but is solid, fun, awesome arcade.
And the Psp Ridge Racers are the last true arcade racers made by Namco.

Accoun

Oh hai

4ldBTc2.jpg

Mzo

That's a great price for some great games! Good job.

I love that the PSP got all these Konami collections. I still want the Salamander one.

PaulBizkit

To BearChair, try sending it to repair somewhere. That's the only choice available.

Btw, how many games does that Gradius Collection have? Are they good?

Accoun

Actually playing the Gradius Collection. Not gonna lie, this is basically my first contact with the series, I'm not much of a horizontal shmup fan, but I just couldn't resist getting it considering the series' reputation and the game being dirt cheap (the "20" was in PLN, so around $6).
It really seems hard, hopefully I can git gud and not ragequit and drop it. Not that I would regret buying it anyway. :-D

Also, last time I was in that store, I saw Gitaroo Man Lives!, which I heard great things about. Probably will pick it up if I'm nearby on Monday.

Teknoman

Actually playing the Gradius Collection. Not gonna lie, this is basically my first contact with the series, I'm not much of a horizontal shmup fan, but I just couldn't resist getting it considering the series' reputation and the game being dirt cheap (the "20" was in PLN, so around $6).
It really seems hard, hopefully I can git gud and not ragequit and drop it. Not that I would regret buying it anyway. :-D

Also, last time I was in that store, I saw Gitaroo Man Lives!, which I heard great things about. Probably will pick it up if I'm nearby on Monday.

Start with Gradius 2 imo. The first game, no matter the fact that it started everything, really isn't all that imo.

Start with Gradius 2 imo. The first game, no matter the fact that it started everything, really isn't all that imo.
No way, Gradius 1 is amazing! Yeah, Gradius 2 is probably even better, but the first game is a fantastic game and one of the all-time great shmups... though of course like half of my top 10 favorite shmups are Gradius games, so I'm definitely biased towards the series. :) (Gradius 1, 2, 3 (SNES), Interstellar Assault, and 5 would definitely be in my shmups top 10, in some order.)

As for the PSP collection though, it's pretty good, but I don't like playing games designed for a TV on the little PSP screen, it's just not nearly as good. I have the Gradius and Genesis collections for PSP but barely played them because the games are harder and less fun on the smaller screen; handhelds are awesome, but games actually designed for a handheld screen are going to play better than ones that weren't.

Still, the Gradius collection for PSP was the first (and is it still the only?) US release of Gradius Gaiden for the PS1, so there is that. Of course now I have the actual import PS1 game, but I didn't when I first got the Gradius collection, and it was interesting top lay the missing Gradius game. It's pretty good, though I do like other games in the series even more.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Totally agree. I don't remember if Outrun2006 on Psp goes at 30 or 60 fps but is solid, fun, awesome arcade.
And the Psp Ridge Racers are the last true arcade racers made by Namco.

I agree too, love Outrun 2006. It does have its slowdowns, but it's still a fantastic experience.
I've really enjoyed my time with Ridge Racer when playing it earlier this year, and it's really impressive in terms of speed and graphics. I mean this game came out 10 years ago!
How is Ridge Racer 2? Is it worth getting it?

Accoun

How is Ridge Racer 2? Is it worth getting it?

It's the same as in 1, except it's almost(?) all of the old tracks from the series. If you live in Europe and like RR it's a no-brainer since I don't think there's any shortage of copies and it's cheap. America never got it, so you have to import.

Teknoman

No way, Gradius 1 is amazing! Yeah, Gradius 2 is probably even better, but the first game is a fantastic game and one of the all-time great shmups... though of course like half of my top 10 favorite shmups are Gradius games, so I'm definitely biased towards the series. :) (Gradius 1, 2, 3 (SNES), Interstellar Assault, and 5 would definitely be in my shmups top 10, in some order.)

As for the PSP collection though, it's pretty good, but I don't like playing games designed for a TV on the little PSP screen, it's just not nearly as good. I have the Gradius and Genesis collections for PSP but barely played them because the games are harder and less fun on the smaller screen; handhelds are awesome, but games actually designed for a handheld screen are going to play better than ones that weren't.

Still, the Gradius collection for PSP was the first (and is it still the only?) US release of Gradius Gaiden for the PS1, so there is that. Of course now I have the actual import PS1 game, but I didn't when I first got the Gradius collection, and it was interesting top lay the missing Gradius game. It's pretty good, though I do like other games in the series even more.

I want to like Gradius 1, I really do... but the boss theme stops me from doing it. I think its because I end up investing too much of my enjoyment of in a game soundtrack itself, but man does it have the most annoying, repetitive boss theme ever.

At least Gradius 2's boss theme has a bit of rhythm and intensity to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVhpYPm2SQE

kuYuri

There are threads about this on GameFAQ of all places & Playstation.com

I can confirm this happened to me too. I have a PSP 2000 and replaced the original battery with an extended battery. I put the original battery in the PSP retail box, threw it under my bed, and thought nothing of it for years.

A few months ago, I decided to dig that battery out and lo and behold, it was swollen and could not fit in my PSP anymore. At least my extended battery is still fine luckily.

So yeah, watch out cause this is totally a thing it seems!

I want to like Gradius 1, I really do... but the boss theme stops me from doing it. I think its because I end up investing too much of my enjoyment of in a game soundtrack itself, but man does it have the most annoying, repetitive boss theme ever.

At least Gradius 2's boss theme has a bit of rhythm and intensity to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVhpYPm2SQE

Wait, wait... your problem with Gradius is... the boss theme? Seriously? That doesn't make any sense to me, how could one music track in a game bother someone so much that they'd dislike the game for it? Music isn't gameplay!

I mean, sure, the Gradius series does generally have great music and I like that, but still... I don't get it. I know I like music less that most people, though, that is true.

PaulBizkit

What games on the PSP are considered rare? I know there's the Hilton Hotel game that was made for employee-training (500 copies) and MGS Digital Graphic Novel.
Which others are out there? do you guys have any rare games?

daxy

What games on the PSP are considered rare? I know there's the Hilton Hotel game that was made for employee-training (500 copies) and MGS Digital Graphic Novel.
Which others are out there? do you guys have any rare games?

Class of Heroes 2 only has 5000 printed UMDs, iirc. I don't have anything rare personally.
Many localizations of Japanese games probably had limited runs too.

Teknoman

Wait, wait... your problem with Gradius is... the boss theme? Seriously? That doesn't make any sense to me, how could one music track in a game bother someone so much that they'd dislike the game for it? Music isn't gameplay!

I mean, sure, the Gradius series does generally have great music and I like that, but still... I don't get it. I know I like music less that most people, though, that is true.

...I actually like the boss theme in Gradius NES.

Its just how I am I guess. Usually even now, when a new RPG thread, "hidden gem", retro style game, or new game in general hits on GAF, my first question is "How is the soundtrack?" or "Who is composing?". Granted that still wont help certain games (Sonic 06), but I'm still going to give Gradius 1 a shot at some point. The boss fights are over in a few seconds from the looks of things anyway.

oldmario

really long shot but i don't suppose anyone has the update files for DJMax BlackSquare and Clazziquai? i've tried looking online and the only place that i found them was on a site called baidu which wouldn't let me download them

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Could somebody help me on this, i am considering picking up Breath of Fire 3 and Tales of Eternia (Destiny 2 for the PS1), but wonder what the differences between the PSP and the PS1-versions are, and which version that you guys would recommend.

kenshiroro

Neo Member
couldn't agree more!

The PSP is an amazing console. the library is amazing, lots of psx classics in the PS Store and for me, the best part is i find it quite comfortable to hold. oh yeah, region free gaming (+1 to Sony)

i have a dsi xl, 3ds xl and a vita. probably spent more time on the psp than the others

PaulBizkit

Anyone here import The Last Ranker? Is it worth importing for someone who doesn't read Japanese particularly well?

If you have some extra bucks, go ahead, why not. However, I consider FF3 and Black Rock Shooter better imports since they have English text.

Clive

If you have some extra bucks, go ahead, why not. However, I consider FF3 and Black Rock Shooter better imports since they have English text.

Wait, the Japanese retail version of Black Rock Shooter has English text? NISA couldn't release it in Canada for some reason so I skipped it completely. I have a hard time believing it tbh since it came out in Japan so far ahead of the American release.

Thanks for the response. Have you ever tried larger than 32GB?

i also use a 32GB. I don't think I even own a 64GB sd card or i'd try it out and see if it gives me any immediate issues.

Really though you probably don't need 64 GB unless you want pretty much every decent PSP game on your system at once.

Pardon the double post.

What online stores still sell PSP games at a decent price? I assume the stock hasn't all been sold through and I might be able to score some new games for good deals outside of ebay, right?

Pardon the double post.

What online stores still sell PSP games at a decent price? I assume the stock hasn't all been sold through and I might be able to score some new games for good deals outside of ebay, right?

obviou answer but amazon has some good deals from time to time

I've seen loads of cheap games on eBay before. Brand new, often. This is eBay UK, mind you. One would hope it's similar in the US.

it definitely is. PSP is the best market for collecting right now, honestly. Tons of cheap fantastic games. Even the rare games are below 100$ for the most part. Not to mention it's a fantastic console in that it's super easy to rip your games and play on PPSSPP (one of the best emulators out there) or on hardware with CFW. Honestly just great. Debating picking up a 3k to join my old 2k and GO just because I want to see the screen lol.

Top Bottom