• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PSP Appreciation and Collecting Thread

if you really want to play PSP games on a big screen, you can try emulation. PPSSPP is pretty fantastic. Otherwise, yeah, you're stuck using the PSP itself as a controller unless you've got a Go.

I wanna check this out for some Drac X Chronicles on the big screen. Apparently DXC is not compatible with NA Playstation TVs.

I wanna check this out for some Drac X Chronicles on the big screen. Apparently DXC is not compatible with NA Playstation TVs.

It's pretty nice. pretty well optimized as well. It's run well on everything I've put it on.

There's an unfortunate number of PSP games that are denied to Vita/PSTV owners due to the 1 account restriction or lack of PSN version.

Clive

A Playstation TV fully hacked and with access to an external HDD would be really sweet. As it is now, I barely use mine. It's mostly if I want to try a Japanese Vita demo. I own all my games on UMD so I can't play them on the PS TV as it is.

Fusebox

Banned
The way I found out about the game is strange. There is a character in the game named Gilles de Rais, which is also the name of a japanese band I was looking into.

He was executed after confessing to murdering children for sexual gratification. Nearly 40 of them.

While he did fight in battles with Joan of Arc, you'd think they'd maybeeeeee tiptoe around this guy a bit, no?

gilles-de-rais.png

Haha, oh wow, shit, I remember Gilles from the game. That's quite the backstory!

jonno394

Tempted to pick up the k-on game. No knowledge of japanese but game looks like it should be mostly easy to play, anyone tried it?

psylah

Check dem prices for R-type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate (JP). Everywhere from $150 to $500.

I wanted to buy a copy just for the box art. Maybe I'll get a print made of it or something instead.

Check dem prices for R-type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate (JP). Everywhere from $150 to $500.

I wanted to buy a copy just for the box art. Maybe I'll get a print made of it or something instead.

I dont even know this game. It's a shooter or a strategy game?

R-type Command has realllllllllly slow gameplay. The presentation is nice but the moves are so slow it kills any flow. Slowest tactical game I have ever played. Nice CG.

jonno394

Just started Liberty CIty Stories on my PSP and I don't remember the motion blur being this bad before. I have a PSP 1000, guess that's the issue, but when running in a straight line you can see his head bobbing from side to side and the trail is rather noticeable. Is this typical 1000 behaviour, or is my screen just on the way out?

Might upgrade to a 2000 or a 3000 to see if that rectifies it.

koopas

Tempted to pick up the k-on game. No knowledge of japanese but game looks like it should be mostly easy to play, anyone tried it?
If you can pick this up for a decent price do it but its not a good enough game for $100+

It's like a shittier Fatal Frame

Edit: whoops I'm not sure you're talking about the PS2 game Kuon

Does anyone have or used the PSP Go docking cradle? I'm curious to know about how it connects to a wall outlet. Does it use a standard figure 8 cable, and is it detachable from from cradle?

Thanks.

Type40

Since Sony no longer makes PSP 1000 or 2000 batteries, are there any recommendations between the 3rd part ones?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Lately, I've been wanting to go back and replay Final Fantasy IV Complete. I played the main game, loved it (I still think it's the best version of FF4), but I never bothered to play any of the After Years stuff. Kinda want to play the... well, complete game.

Haven't touched my PSP in a year, tho. Last game I played was Brandish. And if you haven't played Brandish... well, you should. It's one of the best games on the system.

Teknoman

I just bought it and Grand Knights History (after planning to buy it a year ago).

Just watched one of the k-on tracks being played in the very hard difficulty. Don't think I'll be b able to keep up lol.

How is Grand Knights single player? I know the soundtrack and graphics are amazing, and there is that translation patch.

Lately, I've been wanting to go back and replay Final Fantasy IV Complete. I played the main game, loved it (I still think it's the best version of FF4), but I never bothered to play any of the After Years stuff. Kinda want to play the... well, complete game.

Haven't touched my PSP in a year, tho. Last game I played was Brandish. And if you haven't played Brandish... well, you should. It's one of the best games on the system.

seconded. Brandish is great. Still need to go back and beat it, though.

Cedric

The way I found out about the game is strange. There is a character in the game named Gilles de Rais, which is also the name of a japanese band I was looking into.

He was executed after confessing to murdering children for sexual gratification. Nearly 40 of them.

While he did fight in battles with Joan of Arc, you'd think they'd maybeeeeee tiptoe around this guy a bit, no?

gilles-de-rais.png

The game definitely implies that Gilles
becomes evil after the end of the game though

PantsuJo

GAF, I have some questions: is still possible to buy PSP games from sony webstore and transfer them to PSP? Via the software MediaGo?

If yes, should I have the usb->Psp cable or just wireless?

brandish is so good. everyone play it now.

GAF, I have some questions: is still possible to buy PSP games from sony webstore and transfer them to PSP? Via the software MediaGo?

If yes, should I have the usb->Psp cable or just wireless?

I haven't been on in a while, but I thought it was shutdown sometime in the fall. September, October? Anyway you can purchase and transfer if you have a PS3.

jonno394

K-ON :3 Write here a mini-review please :D

Hey, Only played it for an hour or so, but i'm really enjoying it. I don't speak/read Japanese, so i'm sure i'm missing out on some hillarious antics during the scenes in the club room with the K-On girls, but outside of that, the game is pretty much easy to navigate/play.

I've unlocked ten of the songs so far (played about 6) with there being a total of 19 songs. Each song allows you to play as one of the five girls/instruments, and each one is different to the other in terms of button pressings, timings etc, as you'd expect. Ritsu is my favourite so far (drums) but that's just because i love the drums. Apparently she's the hardest to master!

Once a song is beaten on normal, you unlock a hard mode, and after that, I believe there is a hard+ mode. So really there are 19 songs, 5 variations of each song (90 plays) and 3 difficulties (270 plays).

If you're a fan of K-On i'd easily recommend this. Great songs, fun gameplay and loads of additional stuff to unlock (clothing - Dress up the K-On girls!, decorative items for the various locations (club room, music studio at Mugis beach house etc, food items that affect gameplay)

PantsuJo

Hey, Only played it for an hour or so, but i'm really enjoying it. I don't speak/read Japanese, so i'm sure i'm missing out on some hillarious antics during the scenes in the club room with the K-On girls, but outside of that, the game is pretty much easy to navigate/play.

I've unlocked ten of the songs so far (played about 6) with there being a total of 19 songs. Each song allows you to play as one of the five girls/instruments, and each one is different to the other in terms of button pressings, timings etc, as you'd expect. Ritsu is my favourite so far (drums) but that's just because i love the drums. Apparently she's the hardest to master!

Once a song is beaten on normal, you unlock a hard mode, and after that, I believe there is a hard+ mode. So really there are 19 songs, 5 variations of each song (90 plays) and 3 difficulties (270 plays).

If you're a fan of K-On i'd easily recommend this. Great songs, fun gameplay and loads of additional stuff to unlock (clothing - Dress up the K-On girls!, decorative items for the various locations (club room, music studio at Mugis beach house etc, food items that affect gameplay)
Thanks for your opinion, I'm a big fan of K-ON (and especially of Mugi :3 ) so I'll check it out! Gotta import asap ^^

PaulBizkit

All the hype for Digimon Cyber Sleuth made me want to play RE:Digitize for the PSP. Great game with great graphics and battles.

The story is good, but nothing out of this world (yet). I've been playing for 12 hours and my Geogreymon died and reincarnated in a second mon which (thanks to gameFAQs) digi-evolved into a badass BanchoLeomon.

Two for the backlog

24817487545_9b61b3f5db_c.jpg

That K-On game is good. But Grand Knights History is awesome. I love that game so much! God bless the translators who made the English patch.

PaulBizkit

Im listening to it right now. They talk mostly about the system and its ups and downs, the pre-launch hype, how it was marketed, all that. They dont sound like they are big fans of the PSP, though.

It's like a sony talk in a nintendo podcast.

However, they are well informed in what they say.

I just got a PSP 2000!

Now to get component cables and a memory stick for it.

nice choice. the 2/3k form factor is pretty great. I like the heft of the 1k but it's not worth the other differences. Don't bother with OEM memory, just get an adapter. they can be gotten cheap and then just use some microSD you've got. 32GB I fine is the sweet spot for having plenty of space without running in to compatibility or cost issues.

Timu

nice choice. the 2/3k form factor is pretty great. I like the heft of the 1k but it's not worth the other differences. Don't bother with OEM memory, just get an adapter. they can be gotten cheap and then just use some microSD you've got. 32GB I fine is the sweet spot for having plenty of space without running in to compatibility or cost issues.
Yeah I'm getting a 32GB one.

PaulBizkit

Has anybody played Digimon Re:Digitize?? I'm playing it right now but having your digimons die so quickly is a total bummer...

orient

Neo Member
I decided it was finally time to test some emulators on my PSP having never done the custom firmware thing before. I had high hopes after hearing some people refer to the PSP as their go-to emulation device, but if I'm being totally honest, I was pretty disappointed in the results and it all comes down to resolution.

All the games I played, including SMS/SMD/GBA ran great, but you have to choose to either play in a tiny window (original res) or play stretched to fit (roughly 170%) with a nasty filter to smooth over the uneven pixel count. Both options kind of suck. The only system that's enjoyable for me to play is GB/GBC because the PSP can double the pixel count (despite cropping a few lines).

The weird thing is, I don't remember the Sega Mega Drive Collection on PSP looking too bad...did you just have the same choice between original res and stretched/blurry?

jonno394

I decided it was finally time to test some emulators on my PSP having never done the custom firmware thing before. I had high hopes after hearing some people refer to the PSP as their go-to emulation device, but if I'm being totally honest, I was pretty disappointed in the results and it all comes down to resolution.

All the games I played, including SMS/SMD/GBA ran great, but you have to choose to either play in a tiny window (original res) or play stretched to fit (roughly 170%) with a nasty filter to smooth over the uneven pixel count. Both options kind of suck. The only system that's enjoyable for me to play is GB/GBC because the PSP can double the pixel count (despite cropping a few lines).

The weird thing is, I don't remember the Sega Mega Drive Collection on PSP looking too bad...did you just have the same choice between original res and stretched/blurry?

You do realise you can edit the screensize as you wish? I play SNES and Mega Drive games with a zoom to 4:3 resolution.

The same can be done in the mega drive collection: 1:1, zoom to 4:3 or fit screen 16:9

orient

Neo Member
You do realise you can edit the screensize as you wish? I play SNES and Mega Drive games with a zoom to 4:3 resolution.

Yeah, stretching to 4:3 is what I was referring to (stretching to 16:9 would be horrible). It's really blurry, and without the filter the pixels are uneven and ugly. A slightly blurry picture is fine on a CRT or something, but if I'm playing retro games on a handheld I want them to be crisp and pixel-accurate.

I guess I must've played the Mega Drive Collection at original resolution and just dealt with the small image. Actually, I remember giving up on Phantasy Star IV because the PSP 3000's screen blurs pixels together when in motion, causing a distracting colour-blending effect.

Oh well, at least I know GB/GBC games work well, not that I get much urge to revisit them.

Clive

^That's one slick collection. I've noticed many of the Japan-exclusive shmups are pretty expensive on the international market so it must have cost you a bit to track down.

Kind of funny how Japan has the reverse situation as us on the used games market, shmups get expensive there while RPGs sell for barely anything.

Top Bottom