• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PSP Appreciation and Collecting Thread

Galdelico

Twinsies. I'm going between Street Fighter 3 and Ridge Racer right now. I didn't like RR at first, but it's growing on me.
The first RR didn't entirely click with me either, to be honest, but I love RR2. It just feels so much better. I can't tell if it's objectively superior, or maybe the more polished presentation won me over.

PaulBizkit

I'm playing FFTWOTL. I've picked up and dropped FFT in its various forms 28000 times over the years and always given up.

After restarting several times and researching everything on the internet I'm finally 8 hours into the game and REALLY enjoying it.

God damn is it relentless at the start but once you get the hang of it , it really becomes an incredible experience.

I know that situation, man; the same happens to me with Tactics Ogre LUCT, i've started it several times but drop it after a few battles because i'm ALWAYS playing some other rpg at the moment.

FFTWOTL is great, i played it back in 2008 (played the psx version a few years before) and it felt like a whole new game.

The new characters and the extra classes are awesome.

What were everybody's first PSP games?

I imported mine from Japan in March 2005. About £300 from eBay, with Ridge Racers and Lumines. Played the absolute shit out of both of them (it's still my favourite RR game).

God DAMN the PSP was so good in 2005-2006.

SKINNER!

Banned
My first title that I got with the device was Metal Gear Acid since - at the time - there wasn't a game I really wanted to play. I chose it and the guy behind the counter was even like "You know this isn't a normal Metal Gear Solid game right? It's a card game" and I was fully aware of what I was letting myself into and didn't look back. Thoroughly enjoyed and even completed it. I spent a lot of time playing it in my travels and my old bedroom.

After that, I picked up Infested and finished it within a day. lol

What's funny was that people complained the PSP was a failure but - holy shit - is it a runaway success compared to the Vita. I still play with it even to this day. Whereas the Vita collects dust and I only ever use it if I'm too lazy to play PS4 games in the living room. Shame...

Clive

I was pretty late to the PSP party so my first two games were Crisis Core and Birth By Sleep. Very impressive games for someone coming from the DS.

I had never really paid much attention to the console but once I started looking into the library after buying one I just found more and more and it's now the handheld I have the most physical games for. Great machine for imports too.

I bought my first one used a few months after launch. It was massively overpriced in Canada at first, and they only sold it with a crappy Hockey game, so there was no way I was going to do buy that.

Bought Wipeout Pure, Metal Gear Acid, and Lumines with it.

My first game was GoW chains. I grabbed a used 1k off kijiji with that game for an upcoming trip to Detroit.

My, at that time, girlfriend was interviewing for her externship in Detroit. It was such a massive dump/ghetto that I stayed shacked up in our hotel room all day and played GoW start to finish.

PaulBizkit

FFT WOTL
I bought it with my psp and within two months, i bought GoW Chains, Crisis Core and Patapon. And it got better with time.

The Crazy Taxi collection - on the hand - is garbage.

I liked that collection but i admit that is not very good. The presentation is very rough, the overall art of the menus is kinda flat, the music sucks (download the modded iso that has the OG ost) and all the brands disappeared. But the core gameplay is great, the challenges are good added content and it's two games in one.

I only played the arcade version back in the day, so every thing that is added to the single player mode is a plus for me.

Heads-up: Some Atlus PSP games are being restocked at VideoGamesPlus.

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/newsletter-highlights-atlus-psp-c-45_748_854.html

Class of Heroes
Crimson Gem Saga
Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time
Hexyz Force
Riviera: The Promised Land
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 - Innocent Sin
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable

Highly recommend Persona 2 if you don't have it yet! Be sure to get the second part, Eternal Punishment, as a PS1 classic once you're done.

Also quick question while I'm here - I have a PSPgo but want to get rid of it and get one that plays UMDs instead. There's a few games I'd like which I can't get on PSN (Parappa, Crisis Core, Valkyrie Profile, to name a few).

Any recommendations on which UMD-playing model is best? If I sell the Go, I have to format and/or unlink it from my account, right?

c-murph

Heads-up: Some Atlus PSP games are being restocked at VideoGamesPlus.

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/newsletter-highlights-atlus-psp-c-45_748_854.html

Class of Heroes
Crimson Gem Saga
Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time
Hexyz Force
Riviera: The Promised Land
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 - Innocent Sin
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable

Highly recommend Persona 2 if you don't have it yet! Be sure to get the second part, Eternal Punishment, as a PS1 classic once you're done.

Also quick question while I'm here - I have a PSPgo but want to get rid of it and get one that plays UMDs instead. There's a few games I'd like which I can't get on PSN (Parappa, Crisis Core, Valkyrie Profile, to name a few).

Any recommendations on which UMD-playing model is best? If I sell the Go, I have to format and/or unlink it from my account, right?

Buying up CoH to complete my PSP set!

Clive

If you do not own the incredible Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles collection then it's just $2.24 in the North American flash sale this weekend. Contains a remake of Rondo of Blood, the original Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night. Two absolute classics.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

If you use or are open to CFW, I'd highly recommend keeping the Go and buying any UMD model you can get cheap. That way you can rip UMDs and put them on the Go.

Otherwise, 2000 and 3000 are both fine. No reason to buy a 1000 or E1000.

And yeah, you would want to unlink your account since there is a limited number of systems you can link it to. You can manage activations on one of Sony's sites.

dubc35

If you do not own the incredible Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles collection then it's just $2.24 in the North American flash sale this weekend. Contains a remake of Rondo of Blood, the original Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night. Two absolute classics.

Seriously amazing deal! Two of the most iconic Castlevanias and a great remake.

If you use or are open to CFW, I'd highly recommend keeping the Go and buying any UMD model you can get cheap. That way you can rip UMDs and put them on the Go.

Otherwise, 2000 and 3000 are both fine. No reason to buy a 1000 or E1000.

And yeah, you would want to unlink your account since there is a limited number of systems you can link it to. You can manage activations on one of Sony's sites.

Hmmmm, interesting. I wasn't aware of that.

Thanks for the tips on all three counts! I'll be sure to keep them in mind!

Get a 3000 it's honestly the best of the bunch. And if you do run CFW you can always install the UMD's to the memory stick. No need for the GO, sell it. 3000, CFW, best of both worlds. Plus installing UMD's to the card extends the battery life because the drives not running.

PaulBizkit

Does anybody have any tips on how to save battery life?

I have the processor underclocked at 266mhz (games like GoW and GTA need the full processor speed) and turned on the power saving feature of the WLAN. However, i've never messed around with power saving utilities.

I finally found a vita on a firmware below 3.18.

Upgraded to 3.18 and got tn-v and tn-x working. I finally feel like I have the ultimate psp but My God it's a mess trying to hack a vita.

Clive

I finally found a vita on a firmware below 3.18.

Upgraded to 3.18 and got tn-v and tn-x working. I finally feel like I have the ultimate psp but My God it's a mess trying to hack a vita.

Not really seeing any reason to "hack" a Vita it at all. It can't do anything the PSP can't and memory is crazy overpriced. I stick to the PSP for my PS1 and PSP needs and play Vita games on the Vita.

womp

I bought this third party battery and regret it. It's a little fatter than the original Sony one. My replacement battery door cover arrived today, it can't even shut properly because this battery is fatter and doesn't sit in the battery compartment properly.

Should've got an OEM one, argh.

You sure that battery you ordered wasn't meant for a 1000 model?

Does anybody have any tips on how to save battery life?

I have the processor underclocked at 266mhz (games like GoW and GTA need the full processor speed) and turned on the power saving feature of the WLAN. However, i've never messed around with power saving utilities.

Do you use the WiFi at all? Considering PSP doesn't even have a marketplace anymore, outside using it as a web browser or online play I just keep it shut off with the top toggle.

Not really seeing any reason to "hack" a Vita it at all. It can't do anything the PSP can't and memory is crazy overpriced. I stick to the PSP for my PS1 and PSP needs and play Vita games on the Vita.

I bring a portable device to work. The more I can combine into 1 the better.

The screen and batter life are great on the vita. Mapping to the second stick is great as well.

You sure that battery you ordered wasn't meant for a 1000 model?
Nope it's for the 2000. It turns out that battery cover replacement I bought was really poor. I bought another and it's fine now. I have to place the battery in the PSP with a little piece of paper though, to have it sit in place (otherwise the battery is loose in its place).

SKINNER!

Banned
I liked that collection but i admit that is not very good. The presentation is very rough, the overall art of the menus is kinda flat, the music sucks (download the modded iso that has the OG ost) and all the brands disappeared. But the core gameplay is great, the challenges are good added content and it's two games in one.

I only played the arcade version back in the day, so every thing that is added to the single player mode is a plus for me.

The exclusion of the original soundtrack and product placement didn't bother me that much. It was the half-assed attempt of porting Crazy Taxi 2 that made it awful. It ran so sluggish. Why even bother? If the game doesn't perform well then why put it in the UMD? Bizarre.

Accoun

Played or bought? I don't remember TBH. Might have been Ace Combat X or WipEout Pure if bought. Played, probably Tekken 5 DR - I remember borrowing it from my classmate for a weeklong family trip and it might have been one of my main reasons to.

He also had some MP3s on the memcard, including one song of Venetian Snares, which introduced me to him.

PaulBizkit

Think my first PSP game was Spider-Man 2, lol.

I always get the impression that spiderman games are clunky as hell. At least the 3D ones.

Ok, guys, i've FINALLY finished Final Fantasy 3. The final battle becomes too easy if
you get all the warriors of darkness in the final dungeon and take out the tentacle-like snakes first
. Now I can finally move on to Tactics Ogre...

It's been a while since I posted here, but I added five boxed games to my collection for $25 - including a second, minty copy of P3P, that "Futuristic Harvest Moon" Innocent Life and the final Need For Speed game I needed - and it reminded me it's been a while since I checked into this thread... I'm up to 375 UMDs now on top of all the various versions of the system I've got (there's a couple pics of my collection from 2014 on page 4 of this thread), and it's safe to say PSP remains my single favourite console of all time (but who could have just one?)... I still need to pick up the Euro-only PSP Street at some point, but mostly I'm just enjoying the system still... Glad to see some new people are picking them up; it's great timing with most of the games so cheap! With the way the Vita has stumbled from the scene it looks like the PSP may well be the last of the significant, non-Nintendo "cartridge"-based handhelds...

I imported mine from Japan in March 2005. About £300 from eBay, with Ridge Racers and Lumines. Played the absolute shit out of both of them (it's still my favourite RR game).

God DAMN the PSP was so good in 2005-2006.

I bought the original Game Boy and an Atari Lynx within a few months of each other when they were first released, picked up the Turbo Express, Game Gear and Nomad as they came out, and when the PSP was released in NA I picked one up pretty quick... My first games were Ridge Racer, Gretzky Hockey (a pack-in), and Wipeout... I remember unpacking the system and I was just SO IMPRESSED... I loved the machine! It reminded me of the first time I held the Atari Lynx and played Blue Lightning! That rush, that "WOW" factor, I'm going to miss that... honestly it feels like the end of something lately... as good as many of the releases have been for the Vita and 3DS, handheld gaming has really been pummelled the past few years. I'm really going to miss it; always loved the tech...

dubc35

I got Minna no Golf and Ridge Racers. Both still play fantastically.

I need to pick up both of those (some version at least). I had both back in the day but must have traded them in. Minna no Golf is sooo good! RR is fun too.

I've decided to say F it lately and playing my MGS:pW camo PSP.
bpHyzBn.jpg

You played it? How does it compare to the console versions?

Didn't finish it but what I played, I liked. There is a city to swing through but it's not as vast as the console version and it has a lot of indoor areas to go through. The models are blocky and textures are meh but again for a handheld game in 2005 it was pretty good. Oh, still has hero points for upgrades. If you have the console version just stick with that unless you find this cheap.

Timu

Didn't finish it but what I played, I liked. There is a city to swing through but it's not as vast as the console version and it has a lot of indoor areas to go through. The models are blocky and textures are meh but again for a handheld game in 2005 it was pretty good. Oh, still has hero points for upgrades. If you have the console version just stick with that unless you find this cheap.
I have it on Xbox but I want to give this a try since I hear this version is more like the 1st movie game with separate levels.

womp

Yeah, I am loving these spreads of collections getting posted because it helps me possibly discover new off the beaten path titles I may have missed.

Keep it up! :)

dubc35

Nice pickups!

I put about 10 hours or so in Crimson Gem Saga. It was fun but there was nothing to keep me going. The battle has some nice additions over typical turn based jrpgs. A good thing too because it is not for the faint of heart, the enemies bring it! I'm also a little bitter about it since it launched on PSP for $30 I think and iOS for like $10.

Top Bottom