• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PSP Appreciation and Collecting Thread

My PSP-2000 (which was given to me by a nephew) has started to randomly ask if I'd like to quit the game (a la hitting the Home key). I don't think it's an overly sensitive home button, but rather the disc door sensor being triggered. It happens mostly when i hit right on the D-pad.

Anyone had this happen on a well-worn PSP? I am thinking I will do a shell swap to see if that fixes it (while I wait for a PSP-3000 to come in the mail).
There's a plugin for turning off the UMD door, though I imagine if that's the error you're getting, you're playing UMD games, so that wouldn't help.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I have the same exact problem with my PSP-2000. Luckily it doesn't happen when I rip my games (maybe because the system is lying down when I'm doing this?), so I ripped them all and now play everything from the memory stick.

Galdelico

Is there any good source for replacement PSP-2000 batteries?

Preferably something that I don't need to worry about catching on fire.
Even at the cost of spending more money on it, I just bought an original Sony battery on ebay, when I had to replace mine a few months ago. So far so good.

oldmario

i've asked this before but i didn't really get an answer but does anyone know any uk based sellers of decent quality micro sd adapters?

jholmes

I finally bought a Go! My buddy picked it up off a seller and now I just gotta go see him and have it for myself. I've already got a few games during PSN sales here and there, including like 50 PS1 games, so hopefully that'll last a while!

Even at the cost of spending more money on it, I just bought an original Sony battery on ebay, when I had to replace mine a few months ago. So far so good.
I need to replace a PSP 2000 battery also. eBay seems to be full of dodgy looking ones, and the one I did enquire about, the seller didn't respond.

Galdelico

I need to replace a PSP 2000 battery also. eBay seems to be full of dodgy looking ones, and the one I did enquire about, the seller didn't respond.
I'd personally stay away from those nasty looking ones. Aside from the fact they usually only last a few months (if you're lucky), I've read stories about cheap batteries not fitting properly, and causing all kinds of connection issues. PSPs 2000 are troublesome beasts, when it comes to battery-related topics.

PaulBizkit

I bought this psp battery like 4 months ago and works perfectly fine. It holds like 6 hours on 2D and 2.5D games (2.5D as in castlevania dracula x) and like 4 or 5 on full 3D games.

bateria-psp-lithium-battery-36-v-3600m-ah-nueva-827411-MLA20558567596_012016-O.jpg

I know this looks generic af. But if you don't know what to buy, then try this battery.

I bought this psp battery like 4 months ago and works perfectly fine. It holds like 6 hours on 2D and 2.5D games (2.5D as in castlevania dracula x) and like 4 or 5 on full 3D games.

bateria-psp-lithium-battery-36-v-3600m-ah-nueva-827411-MLA20558567596_012016-O.jpg

I know this looks generic af. But if you don't know what to buy, then try this battery.
Thanks for this. I've found one with the same packaging on eBay, but that is 2400mAh vs. 3600 in the image you posted. Is yours 3600? Also, does it fit in your PSP with the originally battery cover, or do you have the cover for the extended battery?

PaulBizkit

Ok, i took a picture of the battery im using right now. It's been working perfectly fine for months.

20160316_193701.jpg

20160316_193646.jpg

Hope you find this helpful, fellas.

Thanks for this. I've found one with the same packaging on eBay, but that is 2400mAh vs. 3600 in the image you posted. Is yours 3600? Also, does it fit in your PSP with the originally battery cover, or do you have the cover for the extended battery?

I have the 2400mAh (as you can now see above), the 2400mAh fits correctly on the psp2000.

SKINNER!

Banned
You guys came across any "insufficient memory" glitches on the psp? I picked up a new memory card and transferred my save files but everytime I load a game up it mentions that I got insufficient memory to save even though there's like 2GB+ free space. I read online and folk say it's something to do with older games not recognising large memory cards and that I gotta fill it up to the point where the memory card has less than 2GB space. Is that the only way? Maybe my card is glitched? I got one of those photofast cards with two 64GB microsd cards in them.

I just had to format my card because of storage loss. My available was 300mb when it was an 8 gig card. I only had 2 games so I copied my PSP folder to my desktop, did a format and moved the games back. Everything was back to normal.

Galdelico

You guys came across any "insufficient memory" glitches on the psp? I picked up a new memory card and transferred my save files but everytime I load a game up it mentions that I got insufficient memory to save even though there's like 2GB+ free space. I read online and folk say it's something to do with older games not recognising large memory cards and that I gotta fill it up to the point where the memory card has less than 2GB space. Is that the only way? Maybe my card is glitched? I got one of those photofast cards with two 64GB microsd cards in them.
Yeah, I've read there are games that may do that.
My japanese Street Fighter Zero 3 Double Upper does the same thing, it just won't save, until - that's what I've been told, at least - there will be less than 2GB free space in the Memory Stick. I guess I'll get the chance to see if it's true, once I'll buy the two Corpse Party games. :D

SKINNER!

Banned
Yeah, I've read there are games that may do that.
My japanese Street Fighter Zero 3 Double Upper does the same thing, it just won't save, until - that's what I've been told, at least - there will be less than 2GB free space in the Memory Stick. I guess I'll get the chance to see if it's true, once I'll buy the two Corpse Party games. :D

Yeah, I discovered it when I tried to play Outrun 2006 and then Street Fighter Alpha last night. Strangely enough, GTA Liberty City Stories was ok. Saved with no issues.

Ok, i took a picture of the battery im using right now. It's been working perfectly fine for months.

20160316_193701.jpg

20160316_193646.jpg

Hope you find this helpful, fellas.

I have the 2400mAh (as you can now see above), the 2400mAh fits correctly on the psp2000.
So the battery I ordered arrived today. Good thing too, as my the Sony battery was dead.

I compared the two batteries side by side, and I see this third party one is ever so slightly thicker than the Sony one. Anyway, it looks like it'd fit. I placed it in the PSP, but In removing the battery cover, I damaged one of the inside clip bits of the battery cover, and now it won't shut. What I have noticed is that this battery, without the battery cover, won't sit in the PSP. It's quite loose and just falls out if I have the back facing downwards when I'm staring at the screen. The original remains in place though. Can you please check if your third party battery does the same?

So...I'm ordering a new battery cover and will see if I can get it to fit and the battery to remain in place. If not, I'm going to demand a refund or a replacement from the eBay seller.

Clive

Not sure if we're allowed to post links or not but "Google" has a full fan translation patch for 7th Dragon 2020 for the PSP available now. I actually imported it a while back but something else came up so I never played it. Shall do now.

Battlechili

Banned
Not sure if we're allowed to post links or not but "Google" has a full fan translation patch for 7th Dragon 2020 for the PSP available now. I actually imported it a while back but something else came up so I never played it. Shall do now.
I just heard! This is awesome news! Especially since 7th Dragon III is set for a Western release. Now people can play the second game in preparation for the third game.

PaulBizkit

Dat dang psp won't die, won't it??

One more for the backlog:
FF3
Valkyria 3
7th Dragon 2020
Motorstorm AE

Recently abandoned:
Digimon ReDigitize

I greatly prefer my 3k to my 2k, but my 2k is in rather underwhelming physical condition (and it's silver, ew). It's not a significant upgrade by any means.

Added wide color mode is really nice for some of the later games which clearly were calibrated for it (like P3rd).

I prefer my 3k as well. People claim the 2k has a better screen because there is noticeable aliasing on the 3k but it's extreme hyperbole imo.

psylah

How about the E1000? The Europe-only 99 euro PSP?

Not as a replacement for a 2K, but for comparison's sake, how is the screen in that one?

Did anyone even buy it?

Just a reminder that Sony is shutting down the NA/JP Store on PSP in 2 days. Still not completely clear how this will impact the system as a whole. For example, the last sentence below states users will still be able to purchase DLC in game. In any case, so long PS Store.

about_store_image.png

https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Closure-Of-PlayStation-Store-On-PSP

On March 31, 2016, the PlayStation®Store for PlayStation®Portable (PSP®) system in the SCEA region will be closed. PSP system users will be able to purchase PSP content from the web-based PlayStation Store at store.playstation.com, and also access past purchases from the Download list on their PSP system. Users will continue to have the ability to make in-game purchases from their PSP system.

Select PSP games are also available for purchase on the PlayStation®Store for PlayStation®Vita system users.

I prefer my 3k as well. People claim the 2k has a better screen because there is noticeable aliasing on the 3k but it's extreme hyperbole imo.
I will never understand why anyone would prefer the 2k screen. Both my consoles and every comparison I've ever seen lead me to the opposite.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yeah, the ghosting is pretty bad on the 2k imo, so i prefer the 3k. Doesnt matter much when playing it on the tv though.

Galdelico

I owned pretty much every PSP model (still have to try a GO, though), and the one I kept was a 2000. Personally, I couldn't deal with the interlaced mess going on 3000's screen, and after all every other PSP suffered from ghosting, so no biggie for me. 3000 felt quite cheap too, even compared to the already flimsy 2000.

How about the E1000? The Europe-only 99 euro PSP?

Not as a replacement for a 2K, but for comparison's sake, how is the screen in that one?

Did anyone even buy it?
Yep, I did. The screen is really the one and only decent component of the system, in my opinion. Sony dropped the 3000 LCD - still can't believe it has so many fans, here... It's the first time in my life I see as much praise, as in the last few posts :D - and got back to 2000 technology, with slightly reduced ghosting as well.
Unfortunately, everything else got severely downgraded. No wifi, no stereo speakers, craptastic materials and overall build quality, no TV out and removable battery either. The nice screen got me in, at launch, but in the end the E-1000 turned out to be pretty awful.

Just a reminder that Sony is shutting down the NA/JP Store on PSP in 2 days. Still not completely clear how this will impact the system as a whole. For example, the last sentence below states users will still be able to purchase DLC in game. In any case, so long PS Store.

about_store_image.png

https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Closure-Of-PlayStation-Store-On-PSP
If it works like in the EU, you'll still be able to access your download/purchase history with the PSP itself, and download again anything you bought from the Store, in case you need to.

Haha, look at what just came in the mail, while I was editing!

Gen%20San_zpsky1ihscz.png

(Ikuze! Gen-san/Hammerin' Hero)

If it works like in the EU, you'll still be able to access your download/purchase history with the PSP itself, and download again anything you bought from the Store, in case you need to.

Ah, right. Forgot about our friends in EU. I am curious how long they will maintain authentication and downloads on the hardware itself. The preservationist in me would love if it were indefinite, but that does not seem very realistic.

Just checked and as of this morning the store is still up. Wonder what time they will pull the plug.

And she is dead.

Is there any good source for replacement PSP-2000 batteries?

Preferably something that I don't need to worry about catching on fire.

I bought this third party battery and regret it. It's a little fatter than the original Sony one. My replacement battery door cover arrived today, it can't even shut properly because this battery is fatter and doesn't sit in the battery compartment properly.

Should've got an OEM one, argh.

oldmario

Ah, right. Forgot about our friends in EU. I am curious how long they will maintain authentication and downloads on the hardware itself. The preservationist in me would love if it were indefinite, but that does not seem very realistic.

there are ways to get around authentication but it'll require cfw to play the games

PaulBizkit

I0tmtZl.jpg

New PSP game in 2016. I wish I got the cool shipping box but it is what it is. I'm torn on wether I should open it or not.

If I was you, i'd open it. My sister came from Japan on December and gave me a brand new Final Fantasy 3 CIB. It's something cool to collect, but it has English language, data install, I haven't played it before... so I opened it and enjoyed it.

Besides, do you really want to sell that game? I know I wouldn't.

Clive

Hope Gaijinworks can pull off a retail release for Class of Heroes 3 as well. I could keep buying PSP games forever but apparently UMD manufacturing is winding down to be terminated very soon. Less and less people probably care about the PSP these days too.

Hope Gaijinworks can pull off a retail release for Class of Heroes 3 as well. I could keep buying PSP games forever but apparently UMD manufacturing is winding down to be terminated very soon. Less and less people probably care about the PSP these days too.

I think Sony has stopped UMD production. Anyways, really looking forward to my copy of Summon Night 5. I'm glad that VGP managed to get stock. :)

If I was you, i'd open it. My sister came from Japan on December and gave me a brand new Final Fantasy 3 CIB. It's something cool to collect, but it has English language, data install, I haven't played it before... so I opened it and enjoyed it.

Besides, do you really want to sell that game? I know I wouldn't.

There may come a time when I sell it(with the rest of my game collection) and it came with the digital download code anyway so that's why I'm unsure.

For me nothing beats loading up a new game while I peruse through the manual though. I really miss that with today's games.

PaulBizkit

What are you guys playing? I'm nearing the end of Final Fantasy III but i just found out
how to level jobs faster
and I'm grinding my definitive party.

Clive

What are you guys playing? I'm nearing the end of Final Fantasy III but i just found out
how to level jobs faster

I've been slowly, slowly making my way through the Legend of Heroes Gagharv trilogy and I have to say I don't like it very much at all. I've reached Song of the Ocean so I will finish it but they're pretty "meh". Feel like I should finish it as a fan of pretty much everything else Falcom has done.

Also playing some Hot Shots Tennis and Gran Turismo on the side.

dubc35

Not really actively playing but the last game I fired up on the system is Dracula X Chronicles. It's a fun remake.
I have been playing that lately. I never played the remake portion (no idea why I had the game anyway lol) but yeah it's great. I like the updated graphics with the same gameplay. Maria takes a ton to get used to after playing rigid richter. I still need to unlock the og rondo. From what I can tell you have to no death the level so you can keep the bible. The cross seems to suck (more likely I suck) against the flying eyeballs.

Also SotN feels jokingly easy after you unlock it. I got to level 12 or something in about an hour.

I have been playing some road to the show in mlb 11 as well. There was a guy on operation sports that made updated rosters for it up to 2014 I think.

Galdelico

Not really actively playing but the last game I fired up on the system is Dracula X Chronicles. It's a fun remake.
It really is. :)

I'm mostly on 'pick-up and play in short bursts' kinda games, at the moment... Mainly Ridge Racer 2 - fantastic version of RR, in my opinion, and such an impressive graphical showcase on the system - Street Fighter Zero 3 Double Upper, and Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny (speaking of stunners).

I'm still buzzing around the two Corpse Party games, because I REALLY want to play them, but those 20 dollars each, man... :/

how to level jobs faster

I'm playing FFTWOTL. I've picked up and dropped FFT in its various forms 28000 times over the years and always given up.

After restarting several times and researching everything on the internet I'm finally 8 hours into the game and REALLY enjoying it.

God damn is it relentless at the start but once you get the hang of it , it really becomes an incredible experience.

It really is. :)

I'm mostly on 'pick-up and play in short bursts' kinda games, at the moment... Mainly Ridge Racer 2 - fantastic version of RR, in my opinion, and such an impressive graphical showcase on the system - Street Fighter Zero 3 Double Upper, and Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny (speaking of stunners).

I'm still buzzing around the two Corpse Party games, because I REALLY want to play them, but those 20 dollars each, man... :/

Twinsies. I'm going between Street Fighter 3 and Ridge Racer right now. I didn't like RR at first, but it's growing on me.

Top Bottom