• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Queens of Badass: An ode to girl rockers

Korranator

You put them above Bruce Springsteen based on what? As singers? Bruce Springsteen isn't the greatest technical singer, yet he has a pretty unique voice and absolutely demolishes those women in songwriting and charisma.
Yes as singers and overall performers. Sure Bruce is a better songwriter this generations' Bob Dylan, but like Dylan he can't sing IMO.

I really like this one from Jinjer, and she pets her pussy in it.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

This thread is relevant to my interests!

The Kills - Pull A U

Estrons - Make A Man

Marmozets - Why Do You Hate Me?

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Yes as singers and overall performers. Sure Bruce is a better songwriter this generations' Bob Dylan, but like Dylan he can't sing IMO.

Dylan was capable of some very good inflexions, but yeah, overall he had a very unimpressive voice.

But that's not the case at all with Bruce. Bruce isn't the most technical singer, doesn't have the greatest range or the most impressive timber, but he is legitimely good with a pretty characteristic voice.

Nico - I'm Not Saying (1965)

The Shocking Blue - Love Buzz (1969

Tina Turner - Honky Tonk Women (1971)

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Well, you mentioned her offhandedly in your Dorothy section. What do you dislike about her or her music?
I just don’t like her. She’s too experimental. Same reason why I don’t like Joe Cocker or Country Joe and the Fish.

Although I do like the raw energy of her vocals.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
A pair of even rarer birds: The all female rock band.

The Bengals: More pop than rock but this is a little underrated gem:

The Runaways: Not just an all female group but an all female super group. Let’s not forget Joan Jett and Lita Ford were part of this group, too. Careful, boys. They were all underaged when they performed this song. Ahhh, the 70s.

Last edited:

Pol Pot

Banned
A pair of even rarer birds: The all female rock band.

The Bengals: More pop than rock but this is a little underrated gem:

The Runaways: Not just an all female group but an all female super group. Let’s not forget Joan Jett and Lita Ford were part of this group, too. Careful, boys. They were all underaged when they performed this song. Ahhh, the 70s.

Young Pol Pot had quite the thing for Susanna Hoffs. She definitely rocked.

Zato

Banned
Joan Jett was a fine looking woman ... goddamn.

Tatiana is probably one of the best live vocalists working today, can do it all and on a stage ...... anyone in rock that is only studio good can get fucked.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Joan Jett was always my favorite, still listen to Crimson & Clover anytime I'm somewhere with a jukebox. Debbie Harry and Chrissie Hynde can have a cage match for 2nd place.

Brody Dalle is a good alternative to Joan Jett if you want some newer material.

Last edited:

Korranator

Tatiana is probably one of the best live vocalists working today, can do it all and on a stage ...... anyone in rock that is only studio good can get fucked.

hehe prepare to be amazed:

also classic Sonic Youth

Last edited:
The queen of 90s rage:

Alanis...

Start of 2020 I bought the misses tickets to one of her concerts downunder and then Covid hit and it's still up in the air if it will be on or not. Have not cashed in that refund in the hope I can still take the misses to see her.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Start of 2020 I bought the misses tickets to one of her concerts downunder and then Covid hit and it's still up in the air if it will be on or not. Have not cashed in that refund in the hope I can still take the misses to see her.
She’s still got it. Been listening to her more recent live stuff. That voice has not faded at all.

RAÏSanÏa

Badass list of badass rockers

Jinx. The pioneer.

Experimental adjecent a decade+ later.

Like that chick from Wandavision had a band.

SirTerry-T

Girlschool as endorsed by Sir Lemmy of Kilmeister.

Daisy Chainsaw...classic indie one hit wonder band. Still love that dirty, dirty guitar sound.

Skunk Anansie's Skin can hold her own with any of the great Rock frontmen/women.
Fantastic presence...great band.

Saw Sweethead supporting Queens of The Stone Age during their "Like Clockwork" tour and they blew me away. Not sure if they are still going but they were awesome live. Lead singer was an absolute star.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

One more...alongside Kate Bush, Danielle Dax was another female talent I was obsessed with when I really started to discover music during my art school days. I always thought the KB comparisons the UK music press threw at her were unfair as well as lazy. She had her own sound. Totally bonkers (in a good way too), love her...

SirTerry-T

I love Joan Jett but when ever I see that cover to the "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" single, all I see is UK comedian Noel Fielding...once seen, etc.
OOhtnA8.jpg
wAWaFm1.jpg

Last edited:
The Breeders are one of the best bands of the 90s, and it features two sisters, one of whom is Kim Deal from the Pixies. Their novelty hit single ended up making her more famous than her old band, at least until Fight Club.

"Safari"

"Canonball"

"Divine Hammer"

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Firefight. At lead: Dawn Michele, a girl who looks like she’ll give you money saving tips at IKEA while she drives her kids to soccer practice.

Superchick. At lead: Tricia Baumhardt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom