• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The single player FPSs of 2023

Guilty_AI

Of course, the more popular releases that i think need no introduction. I left them as an aside since most would've heard of them (and GAF limits 10 videos per post).

And naturally, there are probably more besides all of those.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I wouldn't consider Amnesia: The Bunker an FPS. Good game though.

RE4 Remake in VR counts I think.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Baby Boomers Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

YuLY

Weak year if you take into account that Evil West is not an FPS (good game though), Bunker is survival and most of the list is indie/pixelated.

Man I miss the times of real AA to AAA FPS games with decent campaigns: Singularity, Timeshift, Prey (2006), Crysis, FEAR, Legendary, Resistance, Half-Life. This is what I miss, the only one close to this from this year is Trepang, which is great but you can tell it doesnt even quite fit in the AA category.

Fuck, not just FPS I also miss the Gears clones: Inversion, Fracture, Quantum Theory, Binary Domain, Army of Two: The 40th Day, Dark Sector etc.

The PS360 era was special, wish I could go back.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Weak year if you take into account that Evil West is not an FPS (good game though), Bunker is survival and most of the list is indie/pixelated.

Man I miss the times of real AA to AAA FPS games with decent campaigns: Singularity, Timeshift, Prey (2006), Crysis, FEAR, Legendary, Resistance, Half-Life. This is what I miss, the only one close to this from this year is Trepang, which is great but you can tell it doesnt even quite fit in the AA category.

Fuck, not just FPS I also miss the Gears clones: Inversion, Fracture, Quantum Theory, Binary Domain, Army of Two: The 40th Day, Dark Sector etc.

Man I love Singularity. I'm hoping now that Xbox owns Activision we can finally get BC for that game or even a remake.

Guilty_AI

DOOMER ALERT! DOOMER ALERT! ALL GAMES SUCK BECAUSE OF THESE COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT REASONS! ONLY GOOD GAME IS GAME FROM X ERA!

Also, its Blood West, not Evil West (which is not even from this year).

Denton

Atomic Heart was ace, I look forward to a replay once all DLCs are out.

Trepang2 is on my wishlist, as is Turbo Overkill and Blood West.

I should play System Shock remake, which I kickstarted. And in january I will probably do full replay of Cyberpunk with PL.

I would say Avatar is also a shooter first and should be in the second post. It is ok as far as gameplay goes, gorgeous as far as its world goes, and dreadful as far as high level design, writing and narrative is concerned.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Fortune's Run

Zortch

Both on Steam. I've enjoyed Zortch quite a bit and it's only $5.

A problem I run into with most retro shooters is it prioritized moving too fast and it just becomes a disorienting mess.

Out of all the ones listed I only really liked Boltgun.

Don't care much for Blood West since it has stuff I do not care for which is Stealth, Stamina systems and inventory management. Such a drag.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Haven't played Fortune's run since a while, the demo was mighty impressive. It looks like nothing initially and then you realize you're basically in a super immersive sim ala Deus Ex in a sci-fi world in space with aliens, etc.

Is the early access content complete for the story?

Buggy Loop

I love FPS games. I'm just pointing out that they clearly aren't seeing anywhere near the demand/sales that they used to when there's zero AAA games in the genre and we're instead relegated to low-budget retro games.

The negligence of the genre by AAA publishers led us to Retro shooters and I almost thank them for it.

Not sure I want to see the alternative reality where suddenly everyone has success with AAA shooters and indie ones die out.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Most AAA games are trash. They tend to chase trends that they know will guarantee sales. Retro shooters such as these are a rather niche category in the long term.

Only Retro Shooters I'm looking forward to that has any chance of releasing in 2024 is Dino Trauma and Selaco.

I think my favorite retro shooters are either First Person Adventure types or FPS + Survival Horror combos.

FPS's with great atmosphere and sense of mystery I tend to enjoy more over very basic Arena Shooters.

Edit: I personally think Boltgun is amazing but could do with a map. Some levels just look the same. The worst level by far is the teleporting level. Just oof.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I love FPS games. I'm just pointing out that they clearly aren't seeing anywhere near the demand/sales that they used to when there's zero AAA games in the genre and we're instead relegated to low-budget retro games.
I see that as a positive. Fans of ps360 era MP shooters for example, like Halo 1/2/3, BF or COD MW now have to relegate themselves to the trash being pushed out by AAA publishers, with very few alternatives as those usually die out in the face of big corps.
Same with traditional sport games where no one can compete with FIFA FC or the likes. Fans have no choice but consume that live-service ridden garbage.

And we get such great things, with a good mix of creativeness, ideas and true passion at what cost? Less polygons? AND with the artstyle remaining gorgeous and timeless regardless? Sign me up any day.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Haven't played Fortune's run since a while, the demo was mighty impressive. It looks like nothing initially and then you realize you're basically in a super immersive sim ala Deus Ex in a sci-fi world in space with aliens, etc.

Is the early access content complete for the story?
Don't think so. Release seems to be ways off too.

Guilty_AI

I think my favorite retro shooters are either First Person Adventure types or FPS + Survival Horror combos.

FPS's with great atmosphere and sense of mystery I tend to enjoy more over very basic Arena Shooters.
Have you tried HROT? It fits well with those conditions. Great atmosphere, survival horror vibes, less of an arena shooter with higher focus on level progression.

Ribi

I need a co-op shooter for my son and I to play together.
GTFO
Payday
Generation Zero
Deep rock galactic
Left 4 dead
Team fortress 2 MvM
Dying light/2
Dead island 2
Ready or not
6 days in Fallujah
Borderlands/tiny tina
Killing floor
Skyrim together

Dazraell

I haven't played too many new shooters this year, but I gotta say, Quake II Remastered really impressed me. To me it's one of the prime examples how remasters should be made. Nightdive really outdone themselves with this one. Not only they updated visuals, gave us main campaign, two expansions, ported Nintendo 64 campaign, full multiplayer support and even playable demos from trade shows. Plus MachineGames worked on a brand new expansion. And everything for 10 dollars. Amazing

RScrewed

This is a fantastic list, thanks. Discovered some great games here. Other "best shooters" list are all AAA garbage that's literally the same gunplay and QTE over and over.

Do we have a list of these non-AAA games shooters for the rest of the 2010's - and 2020, 2021, 2022?

Last edited:
Only played the System Shock remake. Aside from the inventory management it was great.

Also just realised Cyberpunk 2077 is more than 3 years old already. Crazy. Still holding of until I get a new GPU though.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Do we have a list of these non-AAA games shooters for the rest of the 2010's - and 2020, 2021, 2022?
Hard to compile one for specific years, but we can find some highlights.

DUSK (from 2018) got a free HD graphics dlc this month

Ion Fury (from 2019), the original game from the aftershock dlc i put on the OP

AMID EVIL (from 2019), fantasy FPS similar to Heretic.

Black Mesa (from 2020), Half Life full remake/reimagining

Metal Hellsinger (from 2022), rhythm FPS.

Cruelty Squad (from 2021), weird psychodelic "immersive sim". Do not be fooled by its vomit colors and janky appearance, game has incredible mechanical depth to it.

Severed Steel (from 2021), acrobatic FPS with destructible enviroments

Prodeus (from 2022), boomer shooter with really advanced pixel art

And here a couple "not really FPS" but that are still worth mentioning.

Ctrl Alt Ego (from 2022), a take on Immersive Sims that is fully focused on their puzzle-like mechanical aspect.

Overload (from 2018), game from the creators and based off Descent games.

simpatico

Turbo Overkill is so underrated. HROT was also a favorite of mine, but I can understand it not getting mass appeal. TO on the other hand gave us more content than Doom Eternal for half the price with only 1 primary dev. Just an outstanding accomplishment. I'm there for a sequel on Day 0.

RScrewed

Hard to compile one for specific years, but we can find some highlights.

DUSK (from 2018) got a free HD graphics dlc this month

Ion Fury (from 2019), the original game from the aftershock dlc i put on the OP

AMID EVIL (from 2019), fantasy FPS similar to Heretic.

Black Mesa (from 2020), Half Life full remake/reimagining

Metal Hellsinger (from 2022), rhythm FPS.

Cruelty Squad (from 2021), weird psychodelic "immersive sim". Do not be fooled by its vomit colors and janky appearance, game has incredible mechanical depth to it.

Severed Steel (from 2021), acrobatic FPS with destructible enviroments

Prodeus (from 2022), boomer shooter with really advanced pixel art

And here a couple "not really FPS" but that are still worth mentioning.

Ctrl Alt Ego (from 2022), a take on Immersive Sims that is fully focused on their puzzle-like mechanical aspect.

Overload (from 2018), game from the creators and based off Descent games.

Literally God's work, thank you. I can't find these recommendations anywhere. Still learning about games I've never heard about but all look original and interesting.

Every "Indie Games you Must Play!" YT video is just the same list copied and pasted over and over. It's hard to keep a pulse on the avant garde stuff going on in the industry when I'm not such an involved gamer anymore.

Thanks again.

Scotty W

It is a shame that the Descent games are not available on modern platforms. I played through Descent 1 in 2006 and it was great. But I was never able to get Descent 2 running in anything approximating acceptability.

Guilty_AI

It is a shame that the Descent games are not available on modern platforms. I played through Descent 1 in 2006 and it was great. But I was never able to get Descent 2 running in anything approximating acceptability.
You can get the trilogy on GOG, and going by user reviews they seem to work ok

Top Bottom