• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The solution to MS' problem: Do 1 compromise SKU

Sorry to whomever's idea this was but the perfect solution to this Xbox 360 mess is for them to do 1 compromise SKU. It would cost $350 and have the console, 20 gig hard drive, HD cables and 1 wireless controller. Nobody needs the remote control and even the headset isn't really necessary. Anyone else agree with me? Why don't we put all this energy to some good use and instead of starting up a million threads to bitch or for Sony/Nintendo fanboys to cheer or to call out other people saying "I told you so!", to try and do something productive like get MS to agree on a solution such as this. We are their prospective customers afterall. They've already done the packaging and have their PR machine running at full capacity but who knows.

CorePacksOwl.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
i suggest a single "BITCH/MOAN/SPECULATE/RANT/APPRECIATE X360 SKU" thread stickied at the top of the forum

also, do you really think a forum can do something "productive" and suddenly get Microsoft to compromise and make this 1 SKU that you speak of? come on now... :lol

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
What's the recent obsession with owls?

Synth_floyd said:
Sorry to whomever's idea this was but the perfect solution to this Xbox 360 mess is for them to do 1 compromise SKU. It would cost $350 and have the console, 20 gig hard drive, HD cables and 1 wireless controller. Nobody needs the remote control and even the headset isn't really necessary. Anyone else agree with me? Why don't we put all this energy to some good use and instead of starting up a million threads to bitch or for Sony/Nintendo fanboys to cheer or to call out other people saying "I told you so!", to try and do something productive like get MS to agree on a solution such as this. We are their prospective customers afterall. They've already done the packaging and have their PR machine running at full capacity but who knows.

You're late:

http://new.ga-forum.com/showpost.php?p=1794246&postcount=1241

And I'm damn sure I wasn't the first to suggest it.

But I agree it's a good idea.

Gregory

Banned
No, I want the core pack. Fuck the harddisk and wireless controller. I don`t fucking want a wireless controller. I don`t wanna worry about batteries and shit.
Core pack for me. Thank you MS.

90% of XBox owners didn`t give a shit about Live etc. I`m sure just as many could care less about harddisk or not. I know tons of people who didn`t even know it had a harddisk.

Why should MS include these expensive hardware bits when most people could care less about them ?

mrklaw said:
not a good idea. That shit isn't in there becuase you need it, its in there to boost the perceived value and make more people stretch to the $400 version.

Well I say X360 needs the HDD in the fight against the PS3. But it don't need the wireless headset. That's certainly an optional equipment. Getting rid of the wireless headset must be good for slashing $30 from the legit pack, no?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Gregory said:
No, I want the core pack. Fuck the harddisk and wireless controller. I don`t fucking want a wireless controller. I don`t wanna worry about batteries and shit.
Core pack for me. Thank you MS.

90% of XBox owners didn`t give a shit about Live etc. I`m sure just as many could care less about harddisk or not. I know tons of people who didn`t even know it had a harddisk.

Why should MS include these expensive hardware bits when most people could care less about them ?

What will you save your game with then?

Gregory said:

So no ethernet port or HDD in the xbox 1 then? :lol

Silly Gregory, still not making sense. <pats head>

This was EVERYONE's immediate idea upon hearing the 2 sku nonsense. No special insight needed and no accolades given.

Oh wait, "everyone" doesn't appear to include MSFT marketers...

Mrbob

BuckRobotron said:
This was EVERYONE's immediate idea upon hearing the 2 sku nonsense. No special insight needed and no accolades given.

Oh wait, "everyone" doesn't appear to include MSFT marketers...

This seemed to be on a lot of people's minds before MS announcing the two skus too. One sku at 350 with the 20 gig hdd.

shpankey

not an idiot
Why go halfway though? $299 is the magic selling point. Just sell the system with a built in HDD and a wired controller for $299. That's it.

In my opinion (which I gave in another thread but will post here since it's more relevant here)...

why don't they just include the HDD as standard... drop having the wireless controller coming stock with the system, drop the remote, drope the component cables, drop the network cable, drop the wireless headset, drop xbox live and just have one SKU? Just sell the X360 with the HDD and one wired controller for $299.

then sell the wireless controller, the component cables, xbox live, the wireless headset, the remote control, the network cable, memory cards, larger hard drives, and the wireless ethernet all seperately to help make some money back (lots of it).

nobody would have bitched at all had they done this. the hardcore could buy the accessories they wanted and not feel they were paying for shit they didn't want. not to mention having a standard built in hard-drive for all systems (forever too, not ever taking it out no matter what and announcing as such. informing devs it will always be in every system). everybody would still have "options" and the devs and consumers their HDD. MSFT would make tons of cash on sales of wireless controllers and accesories (btw, they need to price these accesories fairly too).

why the fuck they didn't do this blows my mind. this is how succesful consoles have done it forever now. it's like they wanted to be fucking stupid.

i now understand why all the people who made the Xbox 1 great left... fucktard suits who have no clue are now calling the shots. they think they are making ipods.

shpankey said:
Why go halfway though? $299 is the magic selling point. Just sell the system with a built in HDD and a wired controller for $299. That's it.

In my opinion (which I gave in another thread but will post here since it's more relevant here)...

Because M$ lost billions of dollars the last time they tried to it that way dumb fuck. Why do you think they had this pricing problem in the first place.

Dean Takahashi
Reporter
San Jose Mercury News
Also, author of Inside the Xbox

"This is a compromise that isn't like to make anyone really happy. This problem starts with the $50 cost of a hard disk drive. It makes the box too expensive to produce at the traditional target price of $300. Microsoft found this out last time since their initial costs on the original Xbox were $425. That cost declined over time, but it wasn't really possible to knock much cost out of the hard disk. That's because it was already at rock-bottom costs. It had one disk and one spindle. Traditionally, hard drive makers add more capacity to their disks, but they never go below their rock-bottom price. This is a fundamental cost barrier. So it looks like the same problem persists.

"But there are consequences. Microsoft doesn't lose as much money on every box this time, with the higher price for the hard disk version."

299 w/ hdd doesn't work because the hdd is the most expensive thing that never drops below a minimum price.

That cost declined over time, but it wasn't really possible to knock much cost out of the hard disk. That's because it was already at rock-bottom costs. It had one disk and one spindle. Traditionally, hard drive makers add more capacity to their disks, but they never go below their rock-bottom price. This is a fundamental cost barrier. So it looks like the same problem persists.

Hence the fucking madness of everyone trying to create new pricing point bundles for M$.
Your idea works, if you want to see M$ go down in a firery death. :lol

Top Bottom