• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch's Success completely vindicates the Wii's Legacy

zeldaring

Banned
Calling someone young is not an insult

I didn't call anyone an idiot. Now you're putting words in my mouth.

Flat earthers exist and they deny established fact, just like "it's a handheld" folk do.

You don't engage with points that challenge your point of view.

Dishonest ad hominem attacks and insults is all you've got left.

And I'm guessing you're a teenager with plenty of growing up still to do.

We're done here.
Which part of someone saying switch is a handheld that can be connected to the TV is not fact? I can use rog rally and a Steam deck console as gaming device at home, it doesn't really matter and just really a view point nothing like people that claim the earth is flat which is really just a idiotic opinion, and I'm not young so yea its a insult when you tell someone don't argue with a adults and you would be idiot to believe otherwise.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
….??? It hasn’t been contentious. Maybe you think it’s contentious? Hybrid is just the definition of what it is, as many others here have pointed out. Saying “portable with TV out” is cumbersome and long-winded for no reason. When all that’s needed is just to use the correct word: Hybrid.

See how easy that is? Say it, embrace it.
They don't want to because:

1. It forces them to accept that an underpowered console was a bigger sales success than their beloved high tech consoles to which some of them have tied their identity and self worth.

2. It undermines their view that consoles are only legitimate if they are at the cutting edge of graphics and processing capability.

Back in the Wii days the tactic was to call the Wii kiddie because it got so few mature 3rd party ports. They can't do that with Switch so the modern equivalent to "Wii Kiddie" is "Switch is handheld" although the kiddie insult still does the rounds too.

What I've realised is that most of the folk entering threads about a console they think is beneath them to shit on it are teenagers or immature adults. So don't get your hopes up that any fact or reasoned argument is going to make inroads with them.

Kilau

Yea when you are 6 to 12 year old kid with small hands and not picky those things work as actual controllers I know it's hard to believe but I have seen with my own eyes.
Yeah they are tiny and I wouldn't pick them to play with over the other options but I still see the point.

Tams

....what? then how the fuck is the PS5 doing so well, then?

Under half of Switch sales, and out a population of around 1.3 billion.

tl;dr: Few people even own any console, and of those far more own Switches (and old PS2s, Wiis, DSes, N64s, etc )

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Under half of Switch sales,
And it's been out on the market for under half the time the Switch's been out, so not sure what you're really talking about here. There's quite a market of people who will pay top dollar to get the best visual fidelity.

Gaming consoles aren't a "toy" for many people these days, especially when gaming in of itself is the most popular and highest grossing entertainment medium. I mean, the fact that forums like this exist is sort of proof of that.

Kilau

They don't want to because:

1. It forces them to accept that an underpowered console was a bigger sales success than their beloved high tech consoles to which some of them have tied their identity and self worth.

2. It undermines their view that consoles are only legitimate if they are at the cutting edge of graphics and processing capability.

Back in the Wii days the tactic was to call the Wii kiddie because it got so few mature 3rd party ports. They can't do that with Switch so the modern equivalent to "Wii Kiddie" is "Switch is handheld" although the kiddie insult still does the rounds too.

What I've realised is that most of the folk entering threads about a console they think is beneath them to shit on it are teenagers or immature adults. So don't get your hopes up that any fact or reasoned argument is going to make inroads with them.
Since you are responding to a post directed at me, I'll reply.

1. Wrong, has nothing to do with the topic.

2. Wrong, has nothing to do with the topic.

Ends with ad hominem attacks while complaining about reasoned arguments not working lol.

Thank you for proving my exact point. Contentious indeed.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Switch on position 3 of the best-selling consoles of all time really is impressive (especially if you read the Gaf-thread for it´s announcement :messenger_smiling_hearts: )

What I find even more impressive: Without cutting the price. The first two, PS2 and NDS, had huge price-drops during their lifetime, so the overall-achievment is even better. Or am I reading this wrong?

Back in the 1990s, the “mass market” price for videogame consoles was $149. Adjusted for inflation, that brings us to roughly $300 today.

Tams

will pay top dollar to get the best visual fidelity.

Lol. I think it's safe to disregard anything you have to say with that statement.

1. PS5 is not 'top dollar', though it is firmly in the 'luxury' part of life.
2. PS5 does not have the best visual fidelity.
3. You are on a gaming forum. You should damn well know about PC gaming.

And my point is Nintendo make toys, and know they do so act that way. They price their consoles so that it's viable for most people (in the developed world) to be able to afford one, and for a lot several, often for their kids.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Lol. I think it's safe to disregard anything you have to say with that statement.

1. PS5 is not 'top dollar', though it is firmly in the 'luxury' part of life.
2. PS5 does not have the best visual fidelity.
3. You are on a gaming forum. You should damn well know about PC gaming.
I was talking consoles, PS5 does have the highest visual fidelity in the console market despite Xbox having the "more powerful" console.

And if we're talking PC gaming that proves my point even more. Shittons of people out there spending the price of 3 PS5s on graphics cards just to get DLSS and Raytracing.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

I don't see the Switch like the Wii.

Switch was Nintendo combining their handheld and console business.

And a handheld naturally has less power compared to home consoles. Switch wasn't a deliberate effort, like with the Wii, to have lesser graphics. For a handheld in 2017 at a $300 pricepoint with a dock etc included, it had great graphics.

speaking of playing handheld games on the tv ...
s-l1600.jpg

Nvzman

i just hate how the Wii U is all but forgotten, not because it was good, but because they pushed out some real jams for it and much like the GC, aren't getting much love.

at least we got some sequels like Splatoon and Mario Maker but still, I wish Nintendo would give some of those older games some love, fuck you've got those two zelda HD games just port and release them already.
Just like the GC, the Wii U was a pretty crap console with first party games that were vastly superior on the successor's hardware. All Wii U has left at this point is the HD remasters lol

Yoboman

Under half of Switch sales, and out a population of around 1.3 billion.

tl;dr: Few people even own any console, and of those far more own Switches (and old PS2s, Wiis, DSes, N64s, etc )
And 3 years into its life, Switch was half of PS4

tr1p1ex

Switch was like the Wii in that both were a pivot away from what wasn't working in their console business.

Except with the Switch, it was a pivot away from having a separate console altogether.

MarkMe2525

The idea was sound, but in no way does it vindicate the Wii U. There were very real reasons why it didn't succeed on the market.

BlackTron

I know you want to pretend the Lite doesn’t exist but it does, sorry. It’s okay that the Switch is a portable system with TV out, doesn’t make it less impressive, actually more so.

Switch lite cooling/thermal arrangement can't support docked mode.

Normal Switch cannot handle docked mode without being docked (for example by forcing with software hack) without overheating and damaging the battery.

So it actually only behaves as a "game console" when it isn't portable.

In my opinion, the fact that Switch has active cooling at all makes it more of a "hybrid" design of portable/game console. Including the dock, having a fan, and the system switching between two profiles, one of which is not possible in portable mode, makes it a legitimate hybrid design and more than just a "portable with a TV out". I might be willing to give you 60/40 instead of 50/50...

Kilau

Switch lite cooling/thermal arrangement can't support docked mode.

Normal Switch cannot handle docked mode without being docked (for example by forcing with software hack) without overheating and damaging the battery.

So it actually only behaves as a "game console" when it isn't portable.

In my opinion, the fact that Switch has active cooling at all makes it more of a "hybrid" design of portable/game console. Including the dock, having a fan, and the system switching between two profiles, one of which is not possible in portable mode, makes it a legitimate hybrid design and more than just a "portable with a TV out". I might be willing to give you 60/40 instead of 50/50...
I don't have any experience with hacked Switches but that does sound like how Nintendo would design their system.

Marvel14

Banned
Since you are responding to a post directed at me, I'll reply.

1. Wrong, has nothing to do with the topic.

2. Wrong, has nothing to do with the topic.

Ends with ad hominem attacks while complaining about reasoned arguments not working lol.

Thank you for proving my exact point. Contentious indeed.
It seems like you're are actively listening to and acknowledging the validity of alternative views - quite the move from your "the Switch lite proves the Switch isn't a hybrid" opening salvo...so maybe my post really isn't directed at you....

Kilau

It seems like you're are actively listening to and acknowledging the validity of alternative views - quite the move from your "the Switch lite proves the Switch isn't a hybrid" opening salvo...so maybe my post really isn't directed at you....
Ok, but I never said "the Switch lite proves the Switch isn't a hybrid" but yes I do see the validity to the other views.

BlackTron

I don't have any experience with hacked Switches but that does sound like how Nintendo would design their system.

I was pissed that Switch Lite artificially removed the TV out, until I realized the hardware can't support docked mode anyway. It's still annoying (I would just take a TV out of portable mode, better than nothing) but at least it's not all complete nonsense.

How many tablets out there have active cooling with a fan, that enter a faster mode when you plug it in that the battery can't support on its own? That really does sound an awful like a legitimate "hybrid" design, more than it initially appears.

Celine

Hybrid is just a marketing term, can you tell me what makes the Lite a "hybrid" system?
The Lite is a handheld variant of the Switch.
Switch is a hybrid console.

Lite represent only 16.6% of the total Switch game systems sold as June 2023 and the percentage is shrinking the more the time goes on.
The reason is that the market on the whole is much more appreciative of the hybrid console despite being more expensive.

Top Bottom