• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Talos Principle 2 PS5 vs XSX vs XSX By VGTech

Vergil1992

PS5 and Xbox Series X in Performance Mode render at a resolution of 1920x1080 and use a form of temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution.PS5 and Xbox Series X in Quality Mode render at a resolution of 2560x1440 and use a form of temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution.Xbox Series S in Performance Mode renders at a resolution of 1600x900 and uses a form of temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution.Xbox Series S in Quality Mode renders at a resolution of 1920x1080 and uses a form of temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution.Cutscenes are letterboxed which results in a lower effective resolution during these scenes.There appears to be a difference in sharpening and/or the temporal upsampling used between Performance Mode and Quality Mode where Performance Mode can produce a sharper but noisier image. This applies to all three consoles https://bit.ly/3G3oT8uPS5 and Xbox Series X in Quality Mode appear to be using Lumen which doesn't seem to be used in Performance Mode or on Xbox Series S. Quality Mode has improvements to foliage and shadow quality compared to Performance Mode on all three consoles https://bit.ly/3ujm3d3PS5 and Xbox Series X have improvements to foliage and shadow quality compared to Xbox Series S in both modes.There appears to be a bug where the texture quality on Xbox Series X is worse than the other two consoles on the Desolate Island map which can be seen at 23 minutes and 7 seconds.

Vergil1992

Identical outside of a texture bug in one map on SX. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Yes, although XSX also seems to have a 5-6fps performance advantage here in quality mode compared to PS5. But... considering they almost never run at 60fps, you probably won't notice a difference.

Otherwise identical versions.

Bojji

Yes, although XSX also seems to have a 5-6fps performance advantage here in quality mode compared to PS5. But... considering they almost never run at 60fps, you probably won't notice a difference.

Otherwise identical versions.

When game is the heaviest they run almost identical.

With drops on both consoles (compared to locked 60 in AW2 on Xbox) we can see how many % better Xbox runs this game.

Vergil1992

When game is the heaviest they run almost identical.

With drops on both consoles (compared to locked 60 in AW2 on Xbox) we can see how many % better Xbox runs this game.
True, there are times where the difference is only a couple of frames, but there are often areas where XSX has a 5-6fps advantage.

It's a small advantage, but not as solid as in Alan Wake 2. In the recent Rocobop there is also more difference, but since XSX has a reduced graphic quality in the same area, the comparison is not fair for PS5 (although on my PC it barely there was 2-3fps difference when I tested).

Lysandros

Performance mode is virtually identical but XSX is running noticeably better in quality mode in sections tested apparently, pretty consistently ~ 2 FPS ahead of PS5, about 5% difference in average. IQ seem to be identical to me besides the scene mentioned. Looking forward to further, possibly deeper analysis about the game.

Last edited:
Performance mode is virtually identical but XSX is running noticeably better in quality mode in sections tested apparently, pretty consistently ~ 2 FPS ahead of PS5, about 5% difference in average. IQ seem to be identical to me besides the scene mentioned. Looking forward to further, possibly deeper analysis about the game.

Pretty much what people expected. Not a bad thing BTW.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The UE5 games are already starting to arrive in droves.... It seems that now (3 years late) UE5 has said "hello!" to this generation.

Well, the engine wasn't even ready and it took an additional year or more for it to even have 60 FPS support on consoles.

At year 3~4 we're finally starting to see the first batch of third party (i-e non Epic games) UE5 games coming out.

Bojji

True, there are times where the difference is only a couple of frames, but there are often areas where XSX has a 5-6fps advantage.

It's a small advantage, but not as solid as in Alan Wake 2. In the recent Rocobop there is also more difference, but since XSX has a reduced graphic quality in the same area, the comparison is not fair for PS5 (although on my PC it barely there was 2-3fps difference when I tested).

They dip to almost identical 30-something fps in heaviest scenes, that means that consoles are almost identical in power, but we knew that already.

So far UE5 games seem to perform better on Xbox which is funny considering it was heavily hyped for PS5 by epic.

BUT all games use software lumen so far, only matrix had hardware variant and it was slightly better on PS5.

Lysandros

You skipped Lords of the Fallen, i hope this isn't because of it being more stable on PS5. ;) On a more serious note, slight back and forths depending on titles, near identical results overall are to be expected between similarly capable machines. What we need is better optimized titles which make good use of both systems.

Darsxx82

BUT all games use software lumen so far, only matrix had hardware variant and it was slightly better on PS5.
I think that the "social requirement" that has been imposed by which every game must have a 60fps mode or it will be martyred and affected by Metacritic has had great weight for this.

Studios are spending too much time developing their console games with 60fps in mind. All games with UE5 recently released on consoles are based on 60fps and from there Lumen RT hardware is impossible.

I hope that this "obligation" begins to be left behind soon or at least a 30fps RT hardware Lumen mode a la Matrix demo begins to be added as an extra mode.

Vergil1992

You skipped Lords of the Fallen, i hope this isn't because of it being more stable on PS5. ;) On a more serious note, slight back and forths depending on titles, near identical results overall are to be expected between similarly capable machines. What we need is better optimized titles which make good use of both systems.
Lord of Fallen does not have a performance advantage on any platform. It just has more stuttering on Xbox (this is often more due to the game's optimization process). The developer said that the Xbox version is further behind in terms of patches: https://www.eurogamer.net/lords-of-the-fallen-xbox-performance-patch-taking-longer-developer-warns

Saying that Lord of Fallen is more stable on PS5 in terms of performance is like saying that it is more stable than games that in the PC version have shader compilation stuttering or traversal stuttering that they do not have on console (for example, RE4 Remake). Is a half-truth. The framerate is more or less the same and both have frame time problems. The difference is that on Xbox platforms it is more frequent or more obvious.

Alan Wake 2 doesn't have those problems. Simply put, its performance is clearly superior in XSX. It is not the same case. Robocop also has superior performance, but until they match the "MaterialQualityLevel" option (if they do), we will not be able to know which one has better performance under the same or similar conditions.

Last edited:

damidu

buy it wherever, its fantastic game.
had a weird bug on ps5, performance mode setting reverts to quality after game restart, even though it shows on. you have to turn off/on again.
also raising fov on console butchers some fps as well, stick to default.

Last edited:

Vergil1992

They dip to almost identical 30-something fps in heaviest scenes, that means that consoles are almost identical in power, but we knew that already.

So far UE5 games seem to perform better on Xbox which is funny considering it was heavily hyped for PS5 by epic.

Yes, although you have to keep in mind that at 30fps and 60fps they do not "scale" in the same way. If, for example, there is a 15% difference in power between two systems, at 30fps it would be 4.5fps more. But if it is 60fps, 15% more is 9fps more.

If here XSX is performing on average 10% more (so to speak), when it runs at 30fps, it will do so at 3fps more, but at 60fps it would be 6fps.

It's just what we would be seeing here. There are many more factors, but when running at 30fps the difference is reduced. And if the game ran at 120fps, we could see a 12fps advantage, when at 30fps we would only be getting 3fps.
I hope you understand what I mean, it is difficult for me to explain this in English. :p

Last edited:

Bojji

Yes, although you have to keep in mind that at 30fps and 60fps they do not "scale" in the same way. If, for example, there is a 15% difference in power between two systems, at 30fps it would be 4.5fps more. But if it is 60fps, 15% more is 9fps more.

If here XSX is performing on average 10% more (so to speak), when it runs at 30fps, it will do so at 3fps more, but at 60fps it would be 6fps.

It's just what we would be seeing here. There are many more factors, but when running at 30fps the difference is reduced. And if the game ran at 120fps, we could see a 12fps advantage, when at 30fps we would only be getting 3fps.
I hope you understand what I mean, it is difficult for me to explain this in English. :p

I know what you mean, that percentage difference will mean different results depending on the base framerate :)

PoGBq2D.jpg

here xbox is faster by 8.1%

ISJZRvb.jpg

here by 9.7%

sA8EYfS.jpg

And here it's the same.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Looking good.

The unreal engine 5 games are coming in thick and fast now. Just in time for the pro console next year!

Lysandros

Which UE5 games besides this one run better on XSX at identical assets/IQ?

Robocop can not be compared directly since there are important setting and resolution differences between the versions which favor PS5 and we do not have a direct side by side comparison in action scenes to show if PS5 is dropping as low (or lower) as XSX. DF analysis simply say that they are similar.

Fortnite has higher quality nanite on PS5, XSX has 5% higher resolution per axis and performance is the same as per DF's short comparison.

Lords of Fallen is undeniably more stable on PS5 with less severe performance problems compared to XSX.

Immortals of Aveum was another case of higher settings and IQ on PS5 vs. a more stable performance on XSX. And on this occasion we had very interesting developer comments which went pretty much to the opposite side of 'UE5 has better performance on XSX'.

We did not have a comparison analysis on Layers of Fear from a reliable source unfortunately and so on.

In the end it's still way too early to state which X. or Y. platform offer the best results on UE5 with such a small sample size and inconclusive results.

Last edited:

Zathalus

UE5 basically performs identical on both consoles. A few percentage points in resolution or performance ultimately does not matter. Nobody is going to notice 1080p vs 1008p before upscaling nor will they pick up on 50 vs 53 fps (especially with VRR). Maybe with a 30 fps cap, but so far that hasn't happened.

Honestly both consoles suck now with UE5, developers either need to go back to 30fps, or Epic really needs to improve the engine.

Vergil1992

Which UE5 games besides this one run better on XSX at identical assets/IQ?

Robocop can not be compared directly since there are important setting and resolution differences between the versions which favor PS5 and we do not have a direct side by side comparison in action scenes to show if PS5 is dropping as low (or lower) as XSX. DF analysis simply say that they are similar.

Fortnite has higher quality nanite on PS5, XSX has 5% higher resolution per axis and performance is the same as per DF's short comparison.

Lords of Fallen is undeniably more stable on PS5 with less severe performance problems compared to XSX.

Immortals of Aveum was another case of higher settings and IQ on PS5 vs. a more stable performance on XSX. And on this occasion we had very interesting developer comments which went pretty much to the opposite side of 'UE5 has better performance on XSX'.

We did not have a comparison analysis on Layers of Fear from a reliable source unfortunately and so on.

In the end it's still way too early to state which X. or Y. platform offer the best results on UE5 with such a small sample size and inconclusive results.
I can agree with you that it is still too early to determine if one platform performs better than another with UE5.

But there is a lot of bias in his assessment.

- Lord of Fallen does not run at higher frame rates on PS5. His stuttering is simply reduced. It has the same visual quality on both platforms, the resolution is the same and the framerate is the same.

- Immortals of Aveum has the same resolution and graphical settings on PS5/XSX apparently, the only difference found was a sharpening filter on PS5 and that PS5 in the game menu used SSR (at the time, there was a 15fps difference at favor of XSX). The advantage could be 10 frames in favor of Xbox Series X in the game and it was the most consistent version. Perhaps the "small" developer simply wanted to benefit the platform with higher sales potential. In any case, what the developer said did not seem true, and he did not say anything about the superior performance on Xbox Series X.

- Robocop has already been explained many times. But XSX is running at 60fps in an area where on PS5 it is running at 49fps. Under these circumstances, the resolution and graphical settings have proven identical, except for reduced "MaterialQualityLevel" on Xbox platforms. The difference in this adjustment at the frame level was marginal and DF considers it a "possible error", although he does not rule out that it could give an advantage to the XSX performance here. In other words, until they are exactly the same the comparison will not be fair, but if what we have seen on PC is applied.. We shouldn't see a major reduction in Xbox frames. The Xbox Series In Quality mode, I think there is no need for an argument as to why it doesn't make any sense. It has the same differences with the PS5 performance mode and Xbox has exactly the same problem. How is it possible that from a wide 1440p vs 1080p in quality mode, we go to 1080p vs 1080p and with better performance on Xbox Series X by a considerable margin? I think you know perfectly well that there is no convincing explanation. Except magic. And we're forgetting that the .ini file (which got it right with setting "MaterialQualityLevel to 0 on Xbox platforms) also revealed a dynamic resolution advantage for Xbox Series X and that the graphic settings were the same. The .ini file is very consistent with the DF analysis..

- The only thing about Fortnite in comparison is that they work the same, they look the same and XSX has a 12% higher minimum resolution. I'm not saying it, Epic Games said it. And Epic Games doesn't usually favor Xbox.

That is, we have one running at a higher resolution on XSX (Fortnite), The Talos Principle with slightly better performance on XSX, Lord of Fallens with less stuttering on PS5, Robocop has better performance and a higher minimum resolution (according to the .ini) in one of the modes, but it has a reduced graphical setting of which we do not know the impact on performance.

SKYF@ll

In performance mode (1080p) it is on par with PS5, and in quality mode (1440p + Lumen) Xbox Series X seems to be slightly better.
After all, many CUs run better at higher resolutions.
The advantages of XSX's memory bandwidth are also taken advantage of at high resolutions.
It's interesting that the benchmarks are very similar.
LdrSN83.jpg

adamsapple

The unloaded textures "bug" on XSX could simply that they are not loaded quickly enough. UE5 is a very dynamic engine as we already saw on Fornite UE5.

It only happens on one map, if the issue was slow streaming, it would be prevalent everywhere.

Lysandros

After all, many CUs run better at higher resolutions.
The advantages of XSX's memory bandwidth are also taken advantage of at high resolutions.
LdrSN83.jpg
Is there such an established fact when it comes to PS5/XSX?

Didn't we have any games in which PS5 outperformed XSX at high resolutions in the past? Games also require higher fill rate to reach high resolutions. Why XSX isn't outperforming PS5 while running at much lower international resolution comparatively in quality mode in Robocop for example?

XSX memory set-up has its own problems when it comes to bandwidth and it has been cited as one of the factors why XSX was unable to reach 8K in Touryst unlike PS5 by the game's developer.

I still think we are making too many assumptions based on this specific result.

Last edited:

Vergil1992

Didn't we have any games in which PS5 outperformed XSX at high resolutions in the past? Games also require higher fill rate to reach high resolutions. Why XSX isn't outperforming PS5 while running at much lower international resolution comparatively in quality mode in Robocop for example?

XSX memory set-up has its own problems when it comes to bandwidth and it has been cited as one of the factors why XSX was unable to reach 8K in Touryst unlike PS5 by the game's developer.

Slightly higher resolutions are more common on XSX than on PS5.

Robocop was probably due to a mistake, and I think you know that. They have the same resolution in quality mode and performance mode (XSX) and between both modes there is the same difference in graphic settings as between the two PS5 modes (where the resolution does change). It doesn't make sense from a technological point of view.

And even if you don't like to admit this information, it is possible that XSX has an advantage in dynamic resolution according to the .ini (which was very representative of reality and even the only different parameter between PS5 and XSX justified the visual differences there are).

But XSX usually has slightly higher resolutions.

Darsxx82

It only happens on one map, if the issue was slow streaming, it would be prevalent everywhere.
adds that it doesn't even happen in XSS
Slightly higher resolutions are more common on XSX than on PS5.

Robocop was probably due to a mistake, and I think you know that. They have the same resolution in quality mode and performance mode (XSX) and between both modes there is the same difference in graphic settings as between the two PS5 modes (where the resolution does change). It doesn't make sense from a technological point of view.

And even if you don't like to admit this information, it is possible that XSX has an advantage in dynamic resolution according to the .ini (which was very representative of reality and even the only different parameter between PS5 and XSX justified the visual differences there are).

But XSX usually has slightly higher resolutions.

He censures people who are supposedly jumping to conclusions and then use as argument a much much more specific case, that has no parallel, that does not make sense and with which he speculates with an evidence that he can prove..🤔🙃
Again, firstly because he doesn't know if that is happening because the quality mode is capped at 30fps and the only place where it falls to 20s fps also falls to those terms in the performance mode where XSX has "significant" fps advantage at the same resolution over PS5.

Especially when ,in theory, a target at 30 fps in favor of increased resolution should benefit the XSX hardware in performance scalability or at least not scale worse or 70% worse compared to how PS5 scales. As can be seen in each of the multiplatform games released to date including all of which are based on UE5 (this Talos2 is good example and UE5)

Last edited:

SKYF@ll

Generally speaking, it is easier to multitask when painting pixels when the resolution is high.
Of course, depending on the game, the PS5 version may be better.
PS5 and Xbox Series X are so close in performance that optimization can easily reverse the benchmarks.
If you compare both with a PC, the score is close to RTX2070-2080 (9-10Tflops).
Here are some examples of good optimization for the PS5 version.
9z411Sh.jpg

Zathalus

Every single texture bug is supposed to prove the superiority of the PS5 SSD. I recall in the Ratchet & Clank PC thread where some textures had problem loading was proof that the PS5 solution was not able to be matched by any PC and the issue was then promptly fixed when the first patch came out.

adamsapple

Generally speaking, it is easier to multitask when painting pixels when the resolution is high.
Of course, depending on the game, the PS5 version may be better.
PS5 and Xbox Series X are so close in performance that optimization can easily reverse the benchmarks.
If you compare both with a PC, the score is close to RTX2070-2080 (9-10Tflops).
9z411Sh.jpg

FYI, some of these are based on launch versions which have been patched in both console versions favor, so the results are likely not the same now.

And some of them need specific mentions.

Like a Dragon Ishin - the shadow quality is not higher on PS5, it's a difference in shadow filtering. DF prefers the SX's softer filtering and AO (via Digital Foundry)
RE4 Remake: They both have DRS to 2160p, the PS5 versions is n, especially in Performance mode, has notably worse IQ because of the way the checker-boarding is set up. (via VGTech)
Dead Island 2 - difference in shadow filtering, SX matches more closely to PC's max. (via Youtube)
Marvel's Midnight Sun - I don't think DF/NXG or VGTech ever covered this game
CoD: Warzone 2.0 - The Warzone map campaign missions in MW3 in the 120hz mode run faster on SX by 12~ % . The results in the above are probably outdated. (via NXGamer)
Evil West - Again, shadow filtering differences and like Ishin, DF's article/video says they prefer the softer filtering. (via Digital Foundry)
Destroy All Humans - The 2020 remake runs at 1080p/60 on PS5 and DRS 2160p/60 on SX. A massive gulf in pixel count. They also both run at locked 60 FPS (via VGTech)
Thymesia - I don't think DF/NXG/VGT covered this either
Sniper Elite 5 - SX runs at a notably higher resolution, almost 25% higher DRS in pixel count (via VGTech)

Every single texture bug is supposed to prove the superiority of the PS5 SSD. I recall in the Ratchet & Clank PC thread where some textures had problem loading was proof that the PS5 solution was not able to be matched by any PC and the issue was then promptly fixed when the first patch came out.

I mean, the video itself calls it a bug and notes that it doesn't happen on Series S. It goes without saying that that is not the natural order of things lol.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

FYI, some of these are based on launch versions which have been patched in both console versions favor, so the results are likely not the same now.

Like a Dragon Ishin - the shadow quality is not higher on PS5, it's a difference in shadow filtering. DF prefers the SX's softer filtering and AO (via Digital Foundry)
RE4 Remake: They both have DRS to 2160p, the PS5 versions is n, especially in Performance mode, has notably worse IQ because of the way the checker-boarding is set up. (via VGTech)
Dead Island 2 - difference in shadow filtering, SX matches more closely to PC's max. (via Youtube)
CoD: Warzone 2.0 - The Warzone map campaign missions in MW3 in the 120hz mode run faster on SX by 12~ % . The results in the above are probably outdated. (via NXGamer)
Evil West - Again, shadow filtering differences and like Ishin, DF's article/video says they prefer the softer filtering. (via Digital Foundry)
Destroy All Humans - The 2020 remake runs at 1080p/60 on PS5 and DRS 2160p/60 on SX. A massive gulf in pixel count. They also both run at locked 60 FPS (via VGTech)
Sniper Elite 5 - SX runs at a notably higher resolution, almost 25% higher DRS in pixel count (via VGTech)
It seems to me that I have seen that table on Twitter and it certainly hasn't been made by someone with the desire to be faithful to reality and much less with the desire to update.🤣

Most of those in that table are either invented improvements/differences in favor, characteristics in favor of the XSX version are not mentioned or are completely outdated. For example, GWTokio has received multiple specific patches for XSX after its launch to improve performance, GPU usage and even memory compared to the launch.

To those you mentioned, is that even the most flagrant case of lack of optimization in the launch of an XSX vs PS5 version, Calisto Protocol, in its current state there is no difference between both versions. Not even the quality of the RT Reflections. It's not that it was a well-optimized game for PS5 because, as a general rule, it is always the console version that receives the most attention from developers for obvious reasons, it is that it was a game made with a total PS5 base and with XS and PC versions that are patetic in the launch with 0 optimization (on PC even today).

More than good optimization on PS5, what we see there are many cases that, later with patches, have been shown to be cases of poor optimization in XSX at launch. Not to mention that some in their description are far from being faithful to reality.

In other side, you are correct, they are extremely even consoles and you are absolutely right that the extra optimization can tip the balance towards one side or the other. The fact is that at this point we all know which console version is receiving the most attention and priority (especially on launch day) and yet the tone is maximum equality and XSX achieving its "victories" even though on paper it shouldn't have a chance. Even more when sharing optimization times with XSS.

SKYF@ll

I mean, the video itself calls it a bug and notes that it doesn't happen on Series S. It goes without saying that that is not the natural order of things lol.
All comparison results are launch version.
I think both consoles have been optimized with the latest patch, and the differences have become smaller.
I just checked, Ghostwire Tokyo's RT quality and input lag are not improved on Xbox Series X.
Sniper Elite's tessellation also remains disabled.
I upload an image of Ghost Wire Tokyo (XSX-Quality) taken 20 minutes ago as an example.
Both PS5 and Xbox Series X have some advantages and disadvantages, and the differences between them are small.
In a blind test, most people wouldn't notice a difference.(You were uploading your own RoboCop SS, but did you notice that the resolution was 1080p?)

1st image"XSX-today-the latest patch"
2nd image"launch version comparison"
4zZnhCC.png
sxAGljI.jpg

Vergil1992

All comparison results are launch version.
I think both consoles have been optimized with the latest patch, and the differences have become smaller.
I just checked, Ghostwire Tokyo's RT quality and input lag are not improved on Xbox Series X.
Sniper Elite's tessellation also remains disabled.
I upload an image of Ghost Wire Tokyo (XSX-Quality) taken 20 minutes ago as an example.
Both PS5 and Xbox Series X have some advantages and disadvantages, and the differences between them are small.
In a blind test, most people wouldn't notice a difference.(You were uploading your own RoboCop SS, but did you notice that the resolution was 1080p?)

1st image"XSX-today-the latest patch"
2nd image"launch version comparison"
4zZnhCC.png
sxAGljI.jpg
That GhostWire Tokyo is still clearly worse in XSX, I agree with you.

But the truth is that I don't find Sniper Elite 5 relevant, the tessellation of that game is quite... subtle. It barely has any impact on performance, I think 1 or 2 fps on PC. And please, don't let anyone say that "results on PC and console may vary", that tessellation is handled exclusively by the GPU. And it must be taken into account that XSX has a 25% advantage in resolution.

About the examples, I think Adamsapple has completely destroyed them. There are many that are misleading, outdated, and even a bit... questionable. Not to say that they are wrong. Some don't even have a comparison anywhere serious.

SKYF@ll

There are some issues that will be improved with updates, and some that remain unsolved even after half a year.
It is unacceptable to release a lower quality version at the same full price, whether due to bugs or optimization.
I hope game publishers prioritize quality even if they delay release.
Too many games break on release day.

Bojji

There are some issues that will be improved with updates, and some that remain unsolved even after half a year.
It is unacceptable to release a lower quality version at the same full price, whether due to bugs or optimization.
I hope game publishers prioritize quality even if they delay release.
Too many games break on release day.

I agree but really I'm not surprised than devs can't be bothered with console with this small install base (more than half of Series consoles sold are Series S, or maybe I'm wrong).

Top Bottom