• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Star Wars Jedi Survivor PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

Bojji

I actually love the idea of next gen games running lower res and using great upscaling techniques, much smarter use of resources. 4k is such a waste. Unfortunately this game uses a shitty upscale with FSR, DLSS is so much better. I'm still dying to play this but I'll wait for a sale. Got like 5 games on deck and theres simply no time.

Consoles can't use dlss so devs should NEVER make base resolution for FSR (or TSR etc.) this low.

FSR can look quite decent but not from below 720p base resolution scaling lol.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Reconstruction has become a crutch for developers instead of a polish.
The more tools you give them, the further the bar is lowered. I can't be excited for next gen tech when I know all that tech will be wasted on these disappointing developers. Just more reason to ignore the hard work and have magic tool do the work for you. It's just not going the right way. It needs to stop.

Robbinhood

Banned
Consoles can't use dlss so devs should NEVER make base resolution for FSR (or TSR etc.) this low.

FSR can look quite decent but not from below 720p base resolution scaling lol.
Agreed, hopefully someone finds a better solution, for now checkerboard rendering seems to be the way to go. I'm sure one of Sonys devs will come up with something. 40fps is another great solution.

TheShocker

I really want to finish this game but it’s covered in Vaseline in performance mode. 30fps content doesn’t always play well on my OLED.

Roufianos

It's pathetic that a major cause behind these frame drops is shitty ray tracing. Has to be the dumbest use of resources ever.

Just discovered that you can get your PS5 to force VRR, which is a huge help.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
In many ways it looks worse than a 648p native game would as the FSR just can't handle the low resolution so you get tons of ghosting, shimmering and moments where stuff is occluded one second (like behind a post or something) and then suddenly not as you move the camera and the FSR just has no clue what to do and spams some random artifacts to the screen. No need to pixel peep like with DLSS 3 as it is super obvious with the naked eye in real time.

It looks sharper than 648p native sure and actually looks fine where the camera isn't moving but as soon as you move it looks a complete mess.

I play plenty of 720p stuff on the same TV and it looks blurry as hell sure but I'd take that 100 times out of 100 over the ugly mess this game gives thanks to FSR.

Here are 3 sequential frames from a capture I took from a PS5. Every frame is ugly so super obvious without pixel peeping.

DCnpbQJ.jpg

UV8YG8y.jpg

pywHWz0.jpg

It's not always this bad but it's also sometimes much much worse.
vintage vhs GIF by rotomangler

That's some light speed motion blur.

I'm just shocked at the performance issues when this looks like a last gen game.

It doesn't look like a last gen game tho. It's one if the more next gen looking games available but only in resolution mode. The performance mode resolution is simply too low to see how impressive the games graphics are. It's got rt gi and it actually makes a difference

Romulus

It doesn't look like a last gen game tho. It's one if the more next gen looking games available but only in resolution mode. The performance mode resolution is simply too low to see how impressive the games graphics are. It's got rt gi and it actually makes a difference

Disagree. I don't think RT and GI are implemented well at all. I think at best it looks mediocre.

proandrad

I feel like the people that think this game looks good, even on the quality mode, are playing on a small pc monitor. AMD FSR is trash and I wished developers would just go back to checkerboard rendering they were doing for PS4 pro, I'd prefer a sharp looking image over RT any day. The first Horizon and The last of Us part 2 look better than this game with the ps5 60fps patch imo.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I feel like the people that think this game looks good, even on the quality mode, are playing on a small pc monitor. AMD FSR is trash and I wished developers would just go back to checkerboard rendering they were doing for PS4 pro, I'd prefer a sharp looking image over RT any day. The first Horizon and The last of Us part 2 look better than this game with the ps5 60fps patch imo.

I dunno, FSR works in most cases. Cyberpunk's patch, Scorn etc are examples of console games which have fantastic FSR 2 implementation.

This specific case is running off such low base resolution, that's the bigger issue methinks.

sachos

This is the kind of side by side long benchmark runs DF should be doing, on top of their usual commentary.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
This is looking like a black friday pick up. IDK why they released the game in this state, what a waste of time.

Because people remain stupid enough in 2023 to pre order the game and play it anyway in terrible state.. and complain is shit and then buy the next pre order again ...

As long as pre orders sells they will never stop punshing out unfinished shit

I decided long ago ... never buy any launch game anymore.. 6 months period minimal up to a year if necessary...
- cheaper
- less bug
- more resolutions and graphics options

And now can even be "free" on signature services

Banned
I dunno, FSR works in most cases. Cyberpunk's patch, Scorn etc are examples of console games which have fantastic FSR 2 implementation.

This specific case is running off such low base resolution, that's the bigger issue methinks.

FSR2 works decently well in quality mode at high resolutions (1440p+), in darker scenes, slow movement, high framerates and in first person.

first person means less disocclusion right in your face, high resolutions and framerates means more data for the algorithm to work with, and dark means lower contrast and harder to spot artifacting.

the less of these your game falls under the worse it will look, if your game doesn't have any or only 1 of these attributes FSR2 will look like shit.

Scorn is slow, dark, first person, 60fps+, 4k quality mode
Cyberpunk is medium speed/often slow, 60fps+, first person, 1440p+

Jedi Survivor has fast animations and movement, is bright, below 60fps/often close to 30fps, often below 1080p, third person

Last edited:
Top Bottom