• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre | Review Thread

drotahorror

8Pz9TwC.jpg

cktxJw2.jpg

Game Information:​

Game Title: The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
Platforms:
  • PC (Aug 18, 2023)
  • PS4/PS5/XB1/Xbox Series X/S (Aug 18, 2023)
  • Day 1 on Gamepass
Trailer:

Review Aggregator:

imtRgWD.jpg

rTNiJQY.jpg

GameSpot - 9/10

The Good​

• Driven by chaos and dread just like its source material
  • A deep and rewarding metagame that invites experimentation
  • Maps are oppressive and purposely dizzying
  • Music that sounds faithful but still newly haunting
  • A purpose-built imbalance favoring the killers sees rounds play out like a real horror movie

The Bad​

• Cosmetic unlockables are lacking
  • 4v3 setup limits some groups in matchmaking

IGN - 6/10
I have little doubt that in a year or two, when they’ve added more scenarios and maps, fixed the most pressing technical issues, and maybe thought up a better way for newcomers to learn how to play, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre will become a staple in my growing asymmetrical horror games library.

PCGamesN - 8/10
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre is a killer game for fans of the asymmetrical horror genre, thanks to its beautiful maps, varied gameplay, and unique 4v3 balance. Faithful to the 1974 movie, this one is a pleasure for horror fans, but whether it can stand the test of time like the film itself remains to be seen.

Prima Games - 8/10

Pros​

• Excellent visual and sound design
  • Terrifying encounters that strike fear into your heart
  • Unique perks and traits for every playable character

Cons​

• A lack of content could lead to stagnation quickly
  • Confusing map design that requires multiple playthroughs
  • The Meta could become memorization rather than gameplay

ShackNews - 8/10
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre is a splendid new entry in the asymmetrical multiplayer family. Its recreation of the characters and locations from the 1974 movie is deeply impressive, as it’s abundantly clear that authenticity was a top priority during development. It helps to enhance the exhilarating gameplay, though I do worry about its approachability given the deep systems and mechanics. Regardless, it’s one that I look forward to playing both casually and competitively with friends whenever I want a good scare.

Multiplayer First - 8.5/10

Pros:​

• The ominous, grim atmosphere.
  • Very distinct mechanics for both sides and characters.
  • Great use of lighting and audio cues enhances gameplay.
  • Competent progression system.
  • Brutal executions.

Cons:​

• Some clunky character animations.
  • Proximity voice chat would be a better choice.
  • Procedurally generated sections could improve replayability, otherwise, expect the feeling of fear to wear quickly.

Attack of the Fanboy - 9/10
Despite its faults, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a fantastic fusion of horror and fun. The presence of multiple killers and the sheer variety of skills each playable character can learn encourages players to experiment with new playstyles and strategies without making them feel like they’re being forced to do so. On top of that, the game also manages to perform the rare feat of embracing the looks and feel of its source material without using it as a crutch. With a healthy mix of mechanical depth and terrifying spectacle, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a must-play experience for horror fans.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Kind of surprising to see multiple reviewers note how complex it is and difficult for new players. Didn't expect that, and I can't say I really understand what they're talking about.

Anyway, I'll at least try it. This genre has never clicked for me and I've never seen the movie. But I'll try it.

drotahorror

huh? Game was fun in the tech test
Sorry, I edited my post. I meant more like the interest in this one is quite low.

Kind of surprising to see multiple reviewers note how complex it is and difficult for new players. Didn't expect that, and I can't say I really understand what they're talking about.

Anyway, I'll at least try it. This genre has never clicked for me and I've never seen the movie. But I'll try it.

I found it a bit confusing at first and still do some what. I'm going to watch a couple videos or something on the mechanics to get a refresher before the game comes out.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Game's a blast going by the technical test. I'm sure the full game will be even better. All things considered, the reviews look and sound good for what kind of game it is. I just really appreciate the time, love, passion Gun has put into the IPs they've worked with. F13 was so good and was full of nods and references. I expect no difference here, I mean, the test already had plenty of things.

Luipadre

Gamespot - 9

"The Texas Chain Saw Massacre plays, looks, and sounds like its team holds the source material in the highest regard. Faithfully transposing the film's signature terror into a modern multiplayer game is a feat on both ends. The metagame never gamifies the tension to a degree that feels distracting or dampening, and yet that rewarding gameplay loop means, despite how unnerving each round is, there's a strong pull to play it again and again. As one of the year's scariest and best-designed experiences, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre has reset the bar for multiplayer horror games."

Roberts

The original movie is one of my favourite horror films of all time, just incredible pure cinema so obviously I want to try it out. The review sound better than I expected tbh.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
No offline mode with bots. I can’t say I want to spend the money on it. What if the license goes away? The servers stop, so does the game. I’ll wait for a sale or something. I wanted AI, but oh well.

drotahorror

No offline mode with bots. I can’t say I want to spend the money on it. What if the license goes away? The servers stop, so does the game. I’ll wait for a sale or something. I wanted AI, but oh well.

I think F13 was just recently pulled due to licensing.

I can say, that with Leatherface in DBD, and still available in-game now for the past 6 years? I believe, I don't think the licensing for TCM is anywhere near the nightmare that F13 is. F13 has had licensing troubles way before the game even came out. Hence there's not been a new movie in the franchise since 2009.

NickFire

This sounds like it might be fun. But I wouldn't consider buying it unless I have a lot of friends playing already. Feels like all of these asymmetrical horror games end up on PS+ at some point. And launching on GP day 1 basically confirms that will happen before Halloween 2024.

After picking up FT13th for $5 on Series S, it makes me more excited for Chainsaw to come out. Watching videos on YouTube it seems like this game runs a lot smoother. The jank on Friday is still very real. DBD just doesn’t have the tension anymore so here’s hoping this is a solid entry in the horror department.

MiguelItUp

Yeah the overall court case fucked everything up for F13, and it REALLY sucked. Especially for fans of the series. There was SO much planned content, but they were forced to abruptly stop all new development and content. Then the license expired so they had to just unplug the game all together. I feel really bad for Illfonic and Gun for all of that. I don't think the TCSM license is at all in the shape that the F13 one was/is. It was honestly a huge mess.

I know there's planned content for TCSM, so I wouldn't be surprised if something with bots or some kind of single player centric content pops up like it did for F13.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Enough with the asymetrical games. None last long. Once the servers shut down then there is no way to play, nor a way to archive it.

Laieon

I think F13 was just recently pulled due to licensing.

I can say, that with Leatherface in DBD, and still available in-game now for the past 6 years? I believe, I don't think the licensing for TCM is anywhere near the nightmare that F13 is. F13 has had licensing troubles way before the game even came out. Hence there's not been a new movie in the franchise since 2009.

Yeah, Friday the 13th was essentially forced to cancel development a year or two after its release due to lawsuits surrounding the franchise/licensing as a whole (which is also why there hasn't been any new movie since 2009). It seems like the lawsuit has been wrapped up-but-not-really about 50 times now.

It'll be really interesting to see how they handle the who-owns-what-aspect of licensing right now in the Crystal Lake TV show.

Laieon

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I have a soft spot for these horror-based Asymm MP titles. Even if they end up being very unbalanced, it is always fun for goofing off and playing around.
Same. I still think there's a lot of really cool stuff that could be done with them. Asymmetrical MP games just provide an experience other games can't fulfill. We just need some really good and flushed out ones.

Danknugz

sucks all these games are coming out now all at once, first quake2, then this on friday, then star field and forza, just gonna have no time to live my normal life if i want to keep up

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Same. I still think there's a lot of really cool stuff that could be done with them. Asymmetrical MP games just provide an experience other games can't fulfill. We just need some really good and flushed out ones.

My only wish is that they all got "Complete" versions at least on PC with Peer 2 Peer when they are about to die. Give folks one last hurrah and ensure that the game can at least be played in the future by those interested.

Top Bottom