• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The United States could become bankrupt within our lifetimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubbe

It is interesting that the downwards spiral could be turned around easily.
But there is no political courage.

SD-Ness

mao-zedong.jpg

Kabouter

LQX said:
Good news is we taking a damn lot of countries with us.
Good because that means there won't be any damned foreign countries keeping the world economy going, and speeding US recovery? Masochist?

nubbe said:
It is interesting that the downwards spiral could be turned around easily.
But there is no political courage.
The people chosen to run government serve the top 1%, long term suffering of the average person is irrelevant to them.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
NEOPARADIGM said:
Money needs to go.
eh, money is purely symbolic. it'll never truly disappear. it might change names and formats, but the essence of what it represents and its function in civilisation will always exist.

What are you foreigners plotting in here while us Americans are asleep?

If our shit is fucked up then I will have to shoot/slice you.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Isn't a debt ceiling law in violation of the constitution?
section 4 of the 14th amendment states:
14th amendment said:
The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

Raise taxes to pre-Satan (Reagan) levels

End the war on drugs

Remove all troops from Afghanistan and Iraq

Cut defense spending and no bid contracts

Universal health care

Invade Cuba for their sugar and cigars

BigSicily

Banned
cartoon_soldier said:
Read up people...Deficit reduction is NOT really as hard to do. The problem to me is that while Democrats have agreed to more than 2 trillion dollars in spending cuts, Republicans haven't entertained with 1$ in increased tax revenue.

But, here is CBO for us <snip>

Top graph is if we just let the Bush Tax Cuts expire in 2012. Just a fucking no brainer right there

I wouldn't consider it that cut-and-dry. CBO analysis don't apply dynamic scoring in it's simulations, the models are just linear/additive and don't account for the effects a change in tax rate have on GDP. See Romer, 2007 (former head of Obama's Council of Econ. Advisers) for a nice paper suggesting 1% GDP hit per 1% of GDP tax increase IIRC. Last week in House hearings, CBO chief Doug Elmendorf admitted:

CBO Elmendorf: "Higher marginal tax rates do reduce economic activity ."

CBO Elmendorf: "Raising tax rates on rich hurts more than raising tax on everyone else."
The graph is also slightly misleading as it's variable is taken as a percentage of another fluctuating variable (GDP), not a fixed one. A static revenue % of an increasing GDP is much preferable to increasing revenue % of stangant GDP: just ask Europe.

There is no reason spending should be inclining out to 2035, but that's just IMHO.

SimpleDesign said:
Raise taxes to pre-Satan (Reagan) levels

End the war on drugs

Remove all troops from Afghanistan and Iraq

Cut defense spending and no bid contracts

Universal health care

Invade Cuba for their sugar and cigars

Too much money in private medicine. Lots of jobs will be lost.

Also removing soldiers from the middle east would be a bad idea because there's a chance that the US could lose a hold on their oil resources.

Also Cuba should just merge with Florida.

Totally agree with war on drugs though. Legalizing marijuana would be very useful in fighting drug gangs.

LQX

Kabouter said:
Good because that means there won't be any damned foreign countries keeping the world economy going, and speeding US recovery? Masochist?
Good because alot of countries that are pointing fingers and laughing from there ivory castles will also be in for a rude awaking.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Great. That means someone else can have to deal with other country's problems and being constantly insulted. Can't wait to start saying Indiumbs instead of Indians and whatnot

Cereal KiIIer said:
FALSE

The #1 holder is the American people. China is the largest foreign holder, but it only owns 32% of the US debt.

Sorry, you are correct here. As you say, China is the largest foreign holder, but if you think it's okay for this country to have 32% of it's debt owned by a single foreign power, especially one that is neither considered an ally nor considering us their ally, then I don't know what I can tell you.

cartoon_soldier said:
Just let the Bush Tax Cuts expire and you will be fine, i.e. stop electing Republicans.

When the Democrats controlled the House and the Presidency at the start of Obama's term, fuck-all happened. People need to blame both parties for being more interested in fighting each other and jockeying for power rather than governing this country.

Umm...No, just No. Read up on reasons for current deficit.

70% of the current deficit is due to:
- Bush tax cuts (which I explicitly mentioned in the OP)
- Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan
- the recession

Obama has done fuck-all to get rid of Bush's tax cuts. Obama has increased the number of troops in Afghanistan even as he was drawing them down in Iraq. The recession is mainly because of our suicidal plan to bail out all the banks even though they caused their own collapses, and the blame lies with both parties there.

I'm not seeing why Obama doesn't need a good smack in the face, quite frankly.

LuCkymoON said:
Isn't a debt ceiling law in violation of the constitution?
section 4 of the 14th amendment states:

authorized by law

The Congress authorizes the raising of the debt ceiling. The debt itself is unquestionable, but it can't be allowed to increase with the authorization of Congress.

Kabouter

LQX said:
Good because alot of countries that are pointing fingers and laughing from there ivory castles will also be in for a rude awaking.
Which countries? I think you'll find all of Europe deeply concerned with its own debt crises, Japan concerned with recovery from the tsunami, the developing countries concerned with, well, developing and drops in demand from the West etc. etc. Nobody's laughing, you're imagining things.

Unknown Soldier said:
Sorry, you are correct here. As you say, China is the largest foreign holder, but if you think it's okay for this country to have 32% of it's debt owned by a single foreign power, especially one that is neither considered an ally nor considering us their ally, then I don't know what I can tell you.

When the Democrats controlled the House and the Presidency at the start of Obama's term, fuck-all happened. People need to blame both parties for being more interested in fighting each other and jockeying for power rather than governing this country.

- the recession

Obama has done fuck-all to get rid of Bush's tax cuts. Obama has increased the number of troops in Afghanistan even as he was drawing them down in Iraq. The recession is mainly because of our suicidal plan to bail out all the banks even though they caused their own collapses, and the blame lies with both parties there.

It's not really up to him though. He's not stupid, he realizes what would need to be done, but the problem is congress, his own party, and various corporations. If he was some sort of dictator that could say shit and have it done without anyone getting in his way, then things would be completely different.

lightless_shado said:
It's not really up to him though. He's not stupid, he realizes what would need to be done, but the problem is congress, his own party, and various corporations. If he was some sort of dictator that could say shit and have it done without anyone getting in his way, then things would be completely different.

Then what's the point of having a President? We might as well dissolve the Presidency and let Congress run amuck without any adult supervision.

Unknown Soldier said:
Then what's the point of having a President? We might as well dissolve the Presidency and let Congress run amuck without any adult supervision.
It's all a nice little show that gets put on so people can feel like they have a say, there's nothing he can do about it.

- The EU creates the euro to overthrow the dollar as the world's currency.

- America says "Naw man, I got this" and overthrows the dollar itself.

tri_willy

those major banks are laughing now... cunts!

watch china become the world's most powerful nation in the next couple of decades or so

GCX

LQX said:
You do understand that there's a big debt crisis going on in Europe RIGHT NOW?

lexi

Banned
According to a few GAF posters, if America just defaults on it's debt everything will be fine. *epic fucking rolleyes*

Arjen

LQX said:

Which countries whould that be?

Shaka

Kabouter said:
Which countries? I think you'll find all of Europe deeply concerned with its own debt crises, Japan concerned with recovery from the tsunami, the developing countries concerned with, well, developing and drops in demand from the West etc. etc. Nobody's laughing, you're imagining things.
It's the US vs everyone else in LQX's mind. :p

dejay

Banned
lexi said:
According to a few GAF posters, if America just defaults on it's debt everything will be fine. *epic fucking rolleyes*

I love the idea of it being "interesting" too. People don't know what a real economic depression is like - nothing like the GFC we're trying to ride out now.

Polari

American hegemony is over, just like British hegemony was before it. I don't think your average American realises it though, which is understandable as there are few living Americans who have experienced otherwise. It's basically too late to really do anything about it now, the electorate simply won't accept the austerity measures required and even if they did, it's still too little too late.

If you think times are hard now, the bad news is they're going to get a lot harder over the next 30 years.

Polari said:
American hegemony is over, just like British hegemony was before it. I don't think your average American realises it though, which is understandable as there are few living Americans who have experienced otherwise. It's basically too late to really do anything about it now, the electorate simply won't accept the austerity measures required and even if they did, it's still too little too late.

If you think times are hard now, the bad news is they're going to get a lot harder over the next 30 years.

But on the bright side, the third world is developing pretty nicely. Who knows? maybe the US may look to stable African, latin american and asian countries for cheap goods/try to set up more shops there.

Xapati

SimpleDesign said:
It's all a nice little show that gets put on so people can feel like they have a say, there's nothing he can do about it.

There is nothing he can do? Wtf is this shit? There is a lot Obama could do. For a start he could be talking about this, he could start calling people out on how they are being bought up by corporations. He could tell congress they should come up with a way to balance the budget and if they can't then he could pull some drastic stunts that make heads turn. Pull out of Iraq for example, cut foreign aid, raise taxes. And whenever Congress shoots him down point fingers and ask "okay, what's your plan then? Why are you voting against this measurement? Is it because you've been paid by corporation so and so this much money?".
Would he get reelected? Maybe not. Or maybe he would, I like to think Americans would support true leadership when they see it.

However that's not going to happen and the US debt is going to continue to rise. Now does this mean the US will enter some post-apocalyptic future where children fight each other for rat meat in the ruined streets of Manhattan like the OP hints at? No, it's not. Nor will the global economy collapse. There will be several more hits like the economic crash we just had. Eventually the US spending will be brought into reign because China and other emerging economies will force them to once they are powerful enough.
In the end the standard of living will decrease in the US from what it is today and the gap between the rich and the poor will increase as the middle class is eroded. The US will settle into a long recession from which it cannot escape because a corrupt and inefficient government keeps a stranglehold on the country.

Kabouter

GCX said:
Yeah I don't think Africa agrees with that.
Africa as a whole is managing some pretty decent economic growth figures, not to mention some good increases in average lifespan. It's just going to take a heck of a lot of time.

Fugu

There needs to be a substantial increase in taxation. It needs to hit those who can afford to pay. It needs to be accompanied by social programs that, in themselves, are capable of justifying this substantial increase in taxation. Pseudo-universal healthcare does not count.

Also, please stop starting wars.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
lightless_shado said:
you had a good run America. Let us use this thread to reminisce about the really awesome shit that's come out of the USA. I'll start.

-The internet as we know it

Packet switching and the first international packet-switching network came out of the UK. The internet 'as we know it' is based around the WWW, which was devised at CERN.

lightless_shado said:
-Barack Obama

Born in Kenya, as everyone knows.
;)

MC Safety

“If I owe you a pound, I have a problem; but if I owe you a million, the problem is yours.”
- John Maynard Keynes

The belt tightening will be severe to address the issue, and Americans simply won't go for an increase in taxes or a reduction of entitlements, both of which are absolutely necessary.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Is that article a stealth brag by the British about how they take their debt Very Seriously and impose austerity while those Americans can't even get their financial house in order?
BigSicily said:
I wouldn't consider it that cut-and-dry. CBO analysis don't apply dynamic scoring in it's simulations, the models are just linear/additive and don't account for the effects a change in tax rate have on GDP. See Romer, 2007 (former head of Obama's Council of Econ. Advisers) for a nice paper suggesting 1% GDP hit per 1% of GDP tax increase IIRC. Last week in House hearings, CBO chief Doug Elmendorf admitted:
I've heard that statistic before, but I think that it brings up a lot of questions. Did they control for the timing of the tax cuts (for example, whether it was a "recession" or a "boom")? Did they consider whether revenue went to pay for something that was a benefit to economic growth? My experience over the past few decades tells me that tax revenue isn't that big of a factor. Furthermore, how much would the cessation of the Bush tax cuts really affect the revenue as a percentage of GDP? From what I understand the Romers are only talking about exogenous tax changes here: for example, those changes related to government spending and outside the influence of economic forces. Tax revenue as a whole has traditionally hovered somewhere between 17% and 20% of GDP since the end of World War II. If tax revenue mostly falls within a 3% range, and part of that is caused by economic influences, then an exogenous tax increase by 1% of GDP seems like a lot.

Which isn't to say that we don't have a spending problem. Taxes aren't going to go much beyond 20% of GDP, which isn't enough to fill the gap. But there are also other things that we can do here, such as health care delivery reform.
Unknown Soldier said:
- the recession

I'm pretty sure that the recession was caused by a large housing bubble exacerbated by over-leveraged financial institutions and sophisticated instruments that merely hid risk; in other words, smart money chasing after dumb money. I don't see how you can say that the bailouts cause the recession and that the collapse of the financial sector wouldn't have caused even more havoc throughout the economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom