• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The way to Catalyst - What happened to Mirror's Edge 2 and how it evolved to Catalyst

Nico_D

It isn't as bad as people said it is, I enjoyed it. But I didn't care for the open world, linear maps were better; it got slightly annoying going through the same routes over and over. I also could've done without poor combat and just focus on parkour.

Other than those, it was fine.

I really liked it, too bad we never got a PS4 pro patch. Mirror's edge is about the only game series that does parkour... and does it right too.
Also liked the first person combat, I thought it was well done.

SliChillax

It isn't as bad as people said it is, I enjoyed it. But I didn't care for the open world, linear maps were better; it got slightly annoying going through the same routes over and over. I also could've done without poor combat and just focus on parkour.

Other than those, it was fine.
I disagree with only the combat being bad thing. I think the combat had much more depth to it and made you work harder to achieve that perfect flow of jumping, running and assaulting enemies. Once you perfected that it felt amazing.

The first Mirrors Edge had a small, but highly competitive speed running / parcouring scene, with ME:C they failed to throw that crowd a bone. That's a f*ck you EA right there.

Reactions: GHG

Nico_D

I disagree with only the combat being bad thing. I think the combat had much more depth to it and made you work harder to achieve that perfect flow of jumping, running and assaulting enemies. Once you perfected that it felt amazing.

I can understand that. It worked better when combat happened while travelling, hit and run, when you could do it without stopping. But there were couple of moments where the battle was the point and I was forced to run in circles to build up enough speed for the moves. Hated those.

SnapShot

The first Mirrors Edge had a small, but highly competitive speed running / parcouring scene, with ME:C they failed to throw that crowd a bone. That's a f*ck you EA right there.
Didn't they include plenty of Dashes and Time Trials? they also let you create your own custom Time Trials. they even acknowledge plenty of speedrunner scene members in the credits because they helped them playtest the game if I remember correctly, there's even one Time Trial called "donkey in an oven" named after one of the more known mirror's edge speedrunners, not to mention the game records your best personal time for each mission.

So yeah I'm pretty sure they know speedrunning is one of the game's biggest strengths.

Last edited:

Zambayoshi

Maybe somewhat controversial but I liked Catalyst more than the original. The atmosphere, graphical design, traversal and music were all turned up to 11. The narrative was so-so, and I'll never be happy about them getting rid of Merc and changing Faith's family, but overall I'm OK with it. Such an awesome game.

If anyone has any information about why Chvrches - Warning Call was included in the game but not as the closing credits theme (as I imagine it was meant to be) I'd love to hear it. That song is right up there with Still Alive in evoking the atmosphere of Glass.

SnapShot

If anyone has any information about why Chvrches - Warning Call was included in the game but not as the closing credits theme (as I imagine it was meant to be) I'd love to hear it. That song is right up there with Still Alive in evoking the atmosphere of Glass.
One of the developers of the game gave a good explanation to this.

Camreezie

Cool video, interesting to hear a bit of insight into some of the changes. Would be nice if the franchise wasnt dead and EA chose to do something with it . Maybe a VR title down the line might work?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I loved the first one but couldn't get into the 2nd one at all. I hated the story. NPCs and voice acting. The characters all seemed very obnoxious. And I just didnt enjoy returning to the same routes constantly in open world traversal. I wanted a more focused, linear game.
Also I thought the console version looked pretty bad. It seems like it was definitely built for PC and noticeably stripped down for consoles even more than usual.

Even the OST was just kind of boring and this from someone who bought every Solar Fields album after the first game.

dcx4610

I played and beat it but it was pretty bland and just felt empty and soulless. The first game had a lot of charm and felt unique. Faith was also way more interesting and likable. I don't really know where they went wrong with the 2nd game but it's missing something.

SnapShot

Not sure where else to post this, but more goodies from the community

When a new threat emerges, an unexpected alliance is formed. A conspiracy that reaches the highest levels of the Conglomerate is revealed, and the revolution gains a face. Mirror's Edge Freefall is the trailer for the game we never got. But that doesn't have to be the case. Use #stillalive and #bringbackmirrorsedge to let EA know you want a sequel.

This project is not affiliated with EA or DICE. It was created for an assignment for "Netflix and Digital Distribution" class of the Film Department of the School of Fine Arts of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.

Top Bottom