• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX 2024 Direct Officially Announced: January 18th (Featuring: Indiana Jones, Avowed, Hellblade)

Dazraell

Wish the best for MachineGames. Indy looks neat and I think it may have a good reception, but I personally feel it's not a good call to make it first person as with that type of game you want to feel like you control Indiana Jones, not that you are in his boots, so to speak. But I guess they want to make it feel more distinct from Uncharted and Tomb Raider games, which does the job, I guess

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
What I got from this is that mainstream video game developers don't have a single original idea left in their heads.

Indiana Jones looked painfully boring. There wasn't a single thing shown that I haven't already seen in other games. Nothing.

DeepSpace5D

Avowed looked better visually than last time at least.

Did I hear correctly when Ninja Theory said Hellblade II would be a shorter experience? Does that means shorter than the first Hellblade?

Mortisfacio

What I got from this is that mainstream video game developers don't have a single original idea left in their heads.

Indiana Jones looked painfully boring. There wasn't a single thing shown that I haven't already seen in other games. Nothing.

Look at this gens most anticipated games. Many are remasters/remakes. Industry is creatively bankrupt and cost of new IPs for potential failure is a high risk.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Points taking off for not showing more Hellblade combat. Avowed looks ok, but seems really rigid. Was really hoping for like the next level combat and story telling, but no...doesn't seem like anything that special.

Mana is mana...I mean yay for those who are getting nostalgic. ARA looks ok, Indy looks fantastic. Overall C+ for me.

Hawke502

Yeah, im quite sure Indiana Jones with all the varied gameplay they showed looked boring, what would really be inovative is if it was third person, we surely don't have enough action adventure 3rd person game where you go on hunting ancient relics.

Gambit2483

I'm saying that I know some developers can, but if Machinegames couldn't get it to work, then the least they can do is give me fun gameplay at 60fps.
I think people also forget that Series S is a thing and that Xbox values parity and will often scale ambition appropriately so that Series S can also get performance parity

I give it 8.3/10. Wasn't blown away but I was sincerely surprised that Indiana Jones actually looks like it will work in the first person.

Avowed looks like AA and I expect the plot and RPG system with choices to be really good.

Also surprised that Hellblade 2 is 50$, but for 8 hour game it makes sense.

Ara is a day 1 for me for sure. I am missing civ....

I do feel like they need another one show this year in this style.

P.S. Personally I would give it 9 just for the heart attack that PS fanboys got when they saw Square Enix.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

Very pleased with this direct. 2024 is looking to continue the awesomeness from 2023. Another great year for gaming.

Avowed is definitly one of my most wanted games. Looks so good.

If Hellblade 2 was a playstation game, the fanboys would jerk each other off non stop. Still not sure if it's for me, as I found the first one very boring, but it looks very exciting.

Indiana Jones looks amazing. Should be a very good adventure, and i'm glad they did their thing and didn't set out to make a Tomb Raider / Uncharted clone.

I thought the showcase was pretty ok. Good Gamepass games I guess, I definitely look forward to try Indy. Somehow the more I hear and see of Senua the less hyped I am for that title. It is as if the studio really wants you to see this game as a nagging simulator.

With avowed though, I am reminded of this legendary Crab demo on PS3 I think it was? With the amount and focus of “real time weapon switching” phrase lol

Ozriel

M$FT
Indiana Jones looked really really interesting. Absolutely didn’t want first person but what they’ve shown has sold me on it. Sorta reminds me of the Riddick game.

The rest of the show didn’t deliver the goods. I’m especially irrationally pissed at the Visions of Mana part.

Ninja Theory doesn’t know how to show off their games properly.

I thought hellblade 2 looked good from the once again very brief clips shown of actual gameplay, the rest?

Avowed looked generic,‘mediocre, archaic imo

No interest in the RTS or mania series

Indy…my god what a disappointment that its first person . I should have known given the developer but still, this could have been something special in the third person action adventure genre. The cutscenes are ok but the rest, it lacks something, the lighting in particular is so flat. So disappointing.

Honestly if it wasn’t for Hellblade 2 , if someone said we were in the 1X generation still I would of believed them.

Matsuchezz

Nothing impressed me, and that is ok. I have never been a fan of Bethesda umbrella of developers.
Ninja theory Tameem Anthonaides is no longer at the studio? It was strange not seeing him.
Indiana jones looks lackluster I really do not understand how that looks impressive. These games are AA AT BEST. Really disappointing show. I am watching Xbox unloacked and ign and the face of Destin is really of disappointment his words do not match his face.

Gamepass quality games.

Gambit2483

Avowed looked better visually than last time at least.

Did I hear correctly when Ninja Theory said Hellblade II would be a shorter experience? Does that means shorter than the first Hellblade?
They changed the color saturation and subdued it a bit. Last time they showed Avowed it almost looked like something out of a Saturday morning cartoon

Last edited:
Top Bottom