• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Weird History of the 3DO M2 in the United States: It existed...so here's brand new software dumps for preservation fun

VGEsoterica

You need to be DECENTLY old to remember 3DO and the 3DO M2, but I am guessing the lions share of NeoGaf users just might remember it. A system designed to take on the Nintendo 64 and beat it power wise, it was announced, previewed and even reviewed in one magazine (why a magazine reviewed a console that hadn't come out yet is beyond me but...)

It existed, the hardware was finished...and Panasonic pulled the plug literally months before the console was supposed to ship as a completed video game platform. Ive saved some demos and beta builds of games and released them for free for fun but...

the 3DO in the United States would go on to be sold from 1997-2005 as an "interactive multimedia player"...with all sorts of very weird software released, most of which has been lost to time and nobody knew existed in the first place! So as a little after thanksgiving gift I was able to acquire and preserve about 8GB of these weird pieces of gaming history

but GAF...who remembers 3DO M2...and were you gonna get one? Cause I had the damn thing pre-ordered!

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I remember this in all the magazines. The tech was supposed to be huge by comparison to what was out. I had a preorder at my local game store.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I remember it in the magazines, but even they were pretty sour on it. Not much coverage as I don’t think there was really much to cover.

I recall a tech demo where a Raptor was shown behind a chain link fence, and the fence wasn’t pixelated up close.

GrayDock

I had a GoldStar (now LG) 3DO, played a lot of SSFII, Road Rash and VR Stalker on it and waited for the promissed M2 add-on for a while, then I gave up and bought a PSX... Never looked back.

Zero_Karisma

Neo Member
I played so much Road Rash on this system! I was really pumped for the M2 thinking it was going to boost the relevance of the 3DO but unfortunately it never came to be.

Top Bottom