• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Coreda

YouTube just spoiled a potential ending for Witcher 3. I already suspected it was a potential ending but screw this! I haven't finished the game yet but dang!

Youtube spoils every game. It sucks. Whether it's an obnoxious Youtuber who puts something in a thumbnail, or a top comment, or as a spoiler in the title itself.

While ago I decided when I start a game to hide the recommended videos panel and not search for videos unless someone links them or it's a generic query. Much better.

Takuan

I went around Velen last night trying to get waypoints, collecting contracts/quests from the notice board, and completing whatever was in my level. Went back to the main questline when quests started to far exceed my level. Finished the Ciri flashback and started the first part of the Black Baron's quest. Curious how that'll turn out, I sorta suspect they dipped on their own accord, but I'll know soon enough.

A few things I've noticed early on:
  1. Money is pretty hard to come by
  2. No exp from killing monsters in the overworld (?)
  3. Gwent is hard; most opponents have totally OP cards, and I missed the ones you could purchase from the innkeep in White Orchard so I think I'm super-gimped
Jumping on this train. You're in for one of the greatest gaming experiences of your life.
kttcoliblessed
Ready and willing. All over muh face and chest.

Haha you've just finished the tutorial. You ain't seen nothing yet.
Oh, I know! I'm being totally serious when I say the tutorial quests were more interesting than 90% of the quests in Fallout 4. I'm a die-hard Fallout guy and I did enjoy 4 despite its (glaring) faults, but I sure am glad I didn't play this beforehand.

How do you raise the percentage of the freeze chance on aard with piercing cold? I'm running a signs build but my tooltip still says 25% chance to freeze.

Coreda

You don't. You raise your stamina regeneration and then spam the shit out of it ;)

I think they may be referring to this post in the B&W thread which also had me curious:

almost done my new Mage build... up to just under 300% Sign Intensity and then I think 405% with a potion and the Griffin Set Yrden up.

With full spec Aard and the Piercing Cold mutation, my Aard has a 56% chance to insta-kill and if it doesn't insta-kill it does like 6500 damage. And I can spam 2x every.... 3 or so seconds I guess with Tawny up.

I've been farming the hanse fort and it's pretty fun just destroying 15-20 guards hehe

Kssio_Aug

Bought The Witcher 3 last week, and it arrived home yesterday!

Any beginner tips I should know? Never played any Witcher game before. That's the base game, have not bought any expansion yet.

Sai

As you explore the world, investigate points of interest, loot everything that seems valuable--weapons & armor of course, but even junk items that can be sold for a fair price or dismantled into valuable crafting items. If you're trying to collect weapons and armor, keep only the rarest/strongest of them to throw in storage at the earliest opportunity.

You can hold off on buying the diagrams for weapons and armor from Blacksmiths and Armorers until you've padded your wallet up a bit, and don't have to bother buying the weapons and armor they do sell(especially the super expensive bolts for the crossbow, as you can loot more powerful versions from Bandits and the like), or crafting what you've found diagrams for; much of it can be found during your explorations. The only equipment you should ever bother crafting are those belonging to the various Witcher schools, the treasure hunts for which you can initiate by purchasing the maps/letters sold by some of the Blacksmiths, Armorers and other Merchants all over the place.

It is possible to gain more than enough coin to comfortably purchase everything you need in this game, but it requires time; a lot of time in which you'll be overburdened going from one Smuggler's Cache/Guarded Treasure to the next.

• No exp from killing monsters in the overworld (?)
You do gain XP from any opponents you kill, but it's really petty. There are some bigger monsters you'll encounter later on in the game that offer more XP, but you'll still have to cut down quite a few of them to grind levels. Best way to gain XP is by completing quests no lower than five levels beneath you.

• Gwent is hard; most opponents have totally OP cards, and I missed the ones you could purchase from the innkeep in White Orchard so I think I'm super-gimped
Pretty sure you can still win those cards you missed at random from the Merchants you can play around the world. But, just try to build your deck up first by buying what cards you can.

And If you're having too hard of a time, CDPR did allow you to turn down the difficulty of Gwent specifically in a big update not too long ago. The only reason you'd have to turn it up is for a particular trophy, which you can shoot for much later, once you've got an overpowered deck.

1upsuper

Started playing this for the first time the other day. Playing on the broken bones difficulty. Finished up White Orchard and did all the side quests I could find as well as investigating all the question marks on the map. I'm enjoying the game to a degree so far. I'll probably stick with it, but I have some issues with it. Controlling Geralt outside of combat is quite a pain. His movement feels so imprecise and slippery, with weird momentum to boot. I also have the hardest time positioning him just right to interact with objects. Hopefully I'll just get used to it, I guess. I'm not sure if it's just a PS4 thing, but navigating the inventory also has its share of quirks. The delay whenever you highlight a new item is strange and makes precise and quick navigation almost impossible. I'm also just confused by the way the cursor moves when there are empty slots in your inventory. Like, you can't move over the empty slot, but instead you end up highlighting the item above the current one if you try. Considering how much information the game tracks it's a bit surprising it doesn't track where you can find certain harvestable materials, but that's such a minor thing that I don't mind either way.

Oh well. The game has some good points too -- hopefully enough to string me along for the rest of the game.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Started playing this for the first time the other day. Playing on the broken bones difficulty. Finished up White Orchard and did all the side quests I could find as well as investigating all the question marks on the map. I'm enjoying the game to a degree so far. I'll probably stick with it, but I have some issues with it. Controlling Geralt outside of combat is quite a pain. His movement feels so imprecise and slippery, with weird momentum to boot. I also have the hardest time positioning him just right to interact with objects. Hopefully I'll just get used to it, I guess. I'm not sure if it's just a PS4 thing, but navigating the inventory also has its share of quirks. The delay whenever you highlight a new item is strange and makes precise and quick navigation almost impossible. I'm also just confused by the way the cursor moves when there are empty slots in your inventory. Like, you can't move over the empty slot, but instead you end up highlighting the item above the current one if you try. Considering how much information the game tracks it's a bit surprising it doesn't track where you can find certain harvestable materials, but that's such a minor thing that I don't mind either way.

Oh well. The game has some good points too -- hopefully enough to string me along for the rest of the game.

have you tried the alternative movement option? It feels alot better.

NotBacon

[*]Gwent is hard; most opponents have totally OP cards, and I missed the ones you could purchase from the innkeep in White Orchard so I think I'm super-gimped

You can pick up those cards from the merchant you saved from the griffin at the beginning. He should be near the main bridge.

I'm also just confused by the way the cursor moves when there are empty slots in your inventory. Like, you can't move over the empty slot, but instead you end up highlighting the item above the current one if you try.

If you haven't noticed yet, you can use the right stick to switch between categories.

1upsuper

have you tried the alternative movement option? It feels alot better.

I tried that option but couldn't really figure out what it did. I'll give it another try, thanks.

If you haven't noticed yet, you can use the right stick to switch between categories.

Thanks. I did figure that out, but it doesn't help with navigation within the individual inventory categories. Those inventories are incredibly clunky and slow, and yet the slowness does not afford greater precision. I guess on the whole I've just been spoiled by Dark Souls. The imprecision that permeates Witcher 3 just makes me want to go back to From games.

That delay in the inventory is a new thing (one of the recent updates) and yes it's very annoying.

Basically, they revamped the inventory so that it's less cluttered, but that delay came along with it.

adz2ka

I'm having difficulty trying to launch New Game Plus.

1) I have a completed game save. I have loaded it up and the game notifies me I am eligible for new game plus.
2) Game save is patch 1.20
3) I save a brand new save
4) I go to New Game option, choose difficulty, tutorial and then simulate W2 save.
5) This is where I should get an option to import a character for NG+ - that isn't the case, it goes straight to the opening cutscene.

Where am I going wrong?

d00d3n

I loaded up Witcher 3 after taking a long break with the game and seem to have been affected by a really nasty bug. My previous save was 1.12, and it is now 1.22. The issue is that I have a massive amount of experience that I should not have. The experience counter says 20200/1500. I am initially at level 17, like I used to be, but after playing for some time I am boosted to level 27. Anyone with an idea of what could have caused this? It is pretty game breaking, because I have a lot of low level quests that will be trivial/pointless now.

I loaded up Witcher 3 after taking a long break with the game and seem to have been affected by a really nasty bug. My previous save was 1.12, and it is now 1.22. The issue is that I have a massive amount of experience that I should not have. The experience counter says 20200/1500. I am initially at level 17, like I used to be, but after playing for some time I am boosted to level 27. Anyone with an idea of what could have caused this? It is pretty game breaking, because I have a lot of low level quests that will be trivial/pointless now.
You can use the level scaling to "fix" it at least. Not sure what caused it, but I wouldn't say it's game-breaking in any way. If you're on PC I believe you could use the debug console to remove the exp you didn't have.

Coreda

You can use the level scaling to "fix" it at least. Not sure what caused it, but I wouldn't say it's game-breaking in any way. If you're on PC I believe you could use the debug console to remove the exp you didn't have.

Regarding the latter I don't believe so. You can level up but not down, if I'm understanding it correctly.

debug console docs said:
cleardevelop - CAUTION: resets Geralt to level 1, gives you starting gear
witchcraft - CAUTION: gives you 1 of everything, the game may hang for a couple of minutes
addexp(#) - adds "#" experience
setlevel(#) - sets level to "#", leveldown not available
levelup - increase level by 1

Since they're so overleveled now the quests won't give as much XP, so it should balance out but it's obviously a bit of a bummer.

I'd use this official bug report link and detail the issue so they're aware of the bug.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there a map of Velen that shows everything of note? IGN's map is missing bandit camps while Witcher3Map.com is missing quests.

Coreda

Is there a map of Velen that shows everything of note? IGN's map is missing bandit camps while Witcher3Map.com is missing quests.

I'm not aware of a map of every single quest. If the goal is to go for a 100%-type run in a shorter time you could install a mod that reveals all the POIs (including the situational exclamation-type sidequests). It's one-way though, once they're revealed there's no way to go back without loading a previous save (though I haven't tried). It doesn't reveal regular quests/sidequests on the map however (eg: the main quests or those from noticeboards), so between IGN's map and Witcher3Map you'd have all the same info as modding it.

JaseC

I'm not aware of a map of every single quest. If the goal is to go for a 100%-type run in a shorter time you could install a mod that reveals all the POIs (including the situational exclamation-type sidequests). It's one-way though, once they're revealed there's no way to go back without loading a previous save (though I haven't tried). It doesn't reveal regular quests/sidequests on the map however (eg: the main quests or those from noticeboards), so between IGN's map and Witcher3Map you'd have all the same info as modding it.

Ah, I'm not worried about main and notice board quests since they have objective markers. I earlier happened upon a troll being harassed by group of nekkers, so I'm just concerned about missing smaller side-quests and such that are far off the beaten path and aren't near a location that you'd think to place a marker on. The mod you describe would be perfect, but I'm not seeing anything of the sort on Nexus.

Coreda

Ah, I'm not worried about main and notice board quests since they have objective markers. I earlier happened upon a troll being harassed by group of nekkers, so I'm just concerned about missing smaller side-quests and such that are far off the beaten path and aren't near a location that you'd think to place a marker on. The mod you describe would be perfect, but I'm not seeing anything of the sort on Nexus.

The troll would have been an exclamation-type sidequest (a '!' icon), I remember it too. The mod is called Show Pins and all it does is enable a console command. There are two versions available, one that shows the type of POI and the other that reveals them all but hides the type of POI.

However looking at the comments some users are reporting it isn't revealing the exclamation-type sidequests for them, while others are reporting it's outdated so it may not be suitable atm. Alternatively you could use the Debug Console Enabler with the command:

Code:
ShowPins(1)

AFAIK the mod/command reveals POIs across all maps so you really have to weigh whether you want a) no sense of discovery, and b) crazy busy maps :p

But honestly if I were you and only wanted to discover just the situational sidequests I'd stick to IGN's map and follow the '!' icons.

JaseC

But honestly if I were you and only wanted to discover just the situational sidequests I'd stick to IGN's map and follow the '!' icons.

Yeah, that's probably the way to go. I was just hoping to avoid having to switch between the two maps as IGN's isn't quite as elegant as the one hosted on W3M. Cheers.

Edit: I suppose I could just find a list of all of the quests that take place in Velen and sift through it after I've explored the region in its entirety.

Auctopus

Starting my last full Playthrough of this game for the Platinum. I have to get all the Gwent cards so I'm going to have to get better and start not losing every single round.

Edit: ah fuck this, I can't even win the tutorial match.

Double edit: I play a card and my opponent just plays a card that's higher. It's impossible.

1upsuper

Starting my last full Playthrough of this game for the Platinum. I have to get all the Gwent cards so I'm going to have to get better and start not losing every single round.

Edit: ah fuck this, I can't even win the tutorial match.

Double edit: I play a card and my opponent just plays a card that's higher. It's impossible.

You don't merely need strong creature cards to win. There's a lot of opportunity to outplay your opponents despite any powerful cards they may have. You can rely on weather cards, you can work on card advantage, and knowing when to give them a round win is very important. Do you play any TCGs IRL? A lot of those basic habits can carry over. Know when to bait and when to go all out. Learn what starting hands are optimal for your deck. And sometimes you might just have to rematch a couple times. I'm not too far in the game but I've finished a couple Gwent questlines and I rarely lose.

Finally started playing this yesterday, still around White Orchid doing the griffin contract. I'm not really seeing what's so bad about the combat. That's like the biggest complaint I've heard about the game. It's slower-paced, not a hack-n-slash, a little Monster Hunter-y in prepping with potions and bombs/traps beforehand

Sai

I'm having trouble with money in game. I'm level 41, whats the quickest way that I can make money? Are there any good places to grind?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=207366125#post207366125

Have you already explored most points of interest? Treasure hunting and equipment hoarding is really the best legit way to make money in this game.

All the other cheap methods have been patched, I think.

Finally started playing this yesterday, still around White Orchid doing the griffin contract. I'm not really seeing what's so bad about the combat. That's like the biggest complaint I've heard about the game. It's slower-paced, not a hack-n-slash, a little Monster Hunter-y in prepping with potions and bombs/traps beforehand
It has its issues, I think somebody went in-depth with them near the beginning of the Blood & Wine OT(or was it the review or one of the trailer threads?), but the complaints are largely exaggerated, I think. I mean, it'd be great if it handled as tight as a Souls or Ninja Gaiden game, but it's completely serviceable.

The combat complaints are overblown a lot, yeah. TW3 has the best combat in the series--a definitive improvement over the Witcher 1's (comparatively) horrible rhythm system, and a clear refinement of the Witcher 2's much more action-y system. There are some weird quirks to it, and I'd definitely appreciate an improvement to the largely-meaningless loot system saddled arond it, but ultimately the combat serves such a massive game well, giving enough encounter variety to avoid a feeling of repetition, while still being straightforward enough that it doesn't feel tedious even after many hours with the game.

Like, as much as I lament the death of the 'preparation' element of previous Witcher games (making potions for an upcoming battle, mainly), it wouldn't have been the right choice for a game as big as Wild Hunt.

MartyStu

Those complaints are overblown of course. The game is just so solid in almost every aspect, that it can be jarring that the combat is not equally superb.

It is just...fine. Competent...ish.

CHC

2. No exp from killing monsters in the overworld (?)
  3. Gwent is hard; most opponents have totally OP cards, and I missed the ones you could purchase from the innkeep in White Orchard so I think I'm super-gimped

1) Yes, it is. Just something you'll learn to deal with, it gets better later on. In a pinch you can always sell crafting stuff like emeralds or something, there aren't that many recipes that call for them so just keep a few on hand and you'll be good. Also you'll probably accumulate LOTS of glyphs / runes for your weapons and armor. They sell for quite a lot of money, so if they don't fit your playstyle or the money is worth more to you than, say, 3% chance to cause bleed effect, then by all means sell them.

2) You do get some, just not much. Like, no more than 5 XP per creature or something like that. You're not meant to grind.

3) You can fast travel back to White Orchard any time to buy the cards from the bowl cut merchant you saved in the intro, even if the innkeeper is no longer there.

I'm actually amazed that you of all people have not played this, for some reason! But yeah the combat is simply good, it's not gonna win any awards but it gets the job done. I honestly find setting little challenges or attempting a certain style is more enjoyable than the path of least resistance. Trying to get perfect parries, or using only Rend... stuff like that. It can be boring if you just use light attack over and over and over again - the onus is on the player to mix it up a little, at which point it becomes a lot more rewarding.

But man it's so enjoyable seeing people be way LTTP with this game. I just started a new game after finishing Blood and Wine the other day and man.... what an intro. I'm in no way saying the game gets worse as it goes on, but White Orchard remains one of my favorites sequences in any RPG. It's just such a perfect proof of concept for the game to come, and there are so many great little dialogues and hidden stories. Like, so many people probably don't even put together the whole tale of the castle where the Nilfgaardian garrison is, which involves the hunter, the wraith, and the lord who was overthrown, yet they bothered to craft this little story as a reward for those that pay close attention to the details.

Aomber

So I sparsely played The Witcher 3 over the last 6 months for an hour or two here and there, but in the last few days I've been able to sit down and properly play it. I was playing on Story & Sword for those brief moments before, but after watching a streamer I decided to up it to Death's March for when I properly play.

I was expecting it to be pretty brutal, and I don't know but is Death's March just not really... that hard? I've been playing it for a good number of hours now and I keep thinking it's gonna get harder, but I pretty much beat anything that's thrown at me on first attempt. Every now and then I'll accidentally charge in and die but I just beat that mob of enemies or that big enemy or whatever the very next time. I don't know, seems like a bit of a walk in the park compared to playing something like Dark Souls. Apples and oranges type games obviously, but in terms of difficulty I mean. Still enjoying the hell out of the game but it just surprised me that's all.

MadYarpen

So I sparsely played The Witcher 3 over the last 6 months for an hour or two here and there, but in the last few days I've been able to sit down and properly play it. I was playing on Story & Sword for those brief moments before, but after watching a streamer I decided to up it to Death's March for when I properly play.

I was expecting it to be pretty brutal, and I don't know but is Death's March just not really... that hard? I've been playing it for a good number of hours now and I keep thinking it's gonna get harder, but I pretty much beat anything that's thrown at me on first attempt. Every now and then I'll accidentally charge in and die but I just beat that mob of enemies or that big enemy or whatever the very next time. I don't know, seems like a bit of a walk in the park compared to playing something like Dark Souls. Apples and oranges type games obviously, but in terms of difficulty I mean. Still enjoying the hell out of the game but it just surprised me that's all.

First time it gets hard is IMO the first DLC. Otherwise it is not really hard once you get some levels.

AEREC

I realize there's no more story DLC but any chance they will make gameplay changes in the future?

Would love to see another difficulty level or the permadeath mode that was in W2.

Auctopus

As I stressfully made clear, I'm making a (possibly) final Playthrough of the game in order to pick up all the Gwent trophies.

Any tips are welcome?

I'm very conscious of missing cards in a 60+ hour Playthrough. Are there any guides for Gwent playthroughs. I've checked the Gwent Card websites but they're not especially clear of where to go next, where to pick up specific quests etc. The innkeeper at the crossroads already is missing one of the cards I'm supposed to buy from him.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I realize there's no more story DLC but any chance they will make gameplay changes in the future?

Would love to see another difficulty level or the permadeath mode that was in W2.

I think that might happen in a 2.0 patch. CDPR usually overhaul their games with a final patch.

It's frustrating to me that I can't download the new patch on PS4 despite having 50gb of free space... Does this happen to anyone here?

Onemic

For those playing on PC, do you use a KB+M or do you use a controller? I dont know why but using a KB+M doesnt feel nearly as good as it did in Witcher 2.

CHC

Difficulty would be really nice. I started a new game on Death March and am finding it VERY easy after accumulating several hundred of hours of experience in my first run.

I sincerely hope that more patches are on the way. If not any more gameplay changes, at least fixes for the myriad issues brought about by Blood and Wine.

For those playing on PC, do you use a KB+M or do you use a controller? I dont know why but using a KB+M doesnt feel nearly as good as it did in Witcher 2.

Controller ALL THE WAY. Roach and Geralt are both very much designed to be controlled in an analog fashion, their movements are very organic and fluid. For the record I also played Witcher 2 with keyboard and mosue but I wouldn't have it any other way for Wild Hunt.

Picked this up last week after putting in about 20 hours and taking a many month hiatus. Had the itch to play it again and man.....I am so glad I did! Stayed up until 4am last night knocking out the main story. WOW! I can't believe I took time off of this game. Everything; the writing, world, and the combat (once you get the hang of it) are just so well done. Was so impressed I bought the expansion pass immediately and am pumped to get started on them.

Regarding the ending:
I apparently got the bad ending, but it fits the world of the Witcher so well and actually made me have some pretty serious feels that I did not realize at the time that there were multiple endings.

One of the best games I have played in a LONG time.

CloudWolf

I tried to play with KB+M, but got really confused by the way the fighting works when using a keyboard and mouse. It's way clunkier than with the controller. CSo in my opinion controller seems to be the better option.

Coreda

Cross-posting here since it's useful (and the mods thread is rather inactive):

Thought I'd bring attention to a new mod called Kill Count that enables a play statistics counter for enemy kills in the Bestiary menu.

Great idea and I know some out there who enjoy such stats. Downside is this only starts tracking after the mod has been installed and doesn't count previous kills. For those new to the game though it could be ideal. Hopefully it stays maintained in the future.

eGEuobr.jpg

They actually announced a permadeath mode for TW3 but dropped it before release.

If it gets an Enhanced Edition do-over for any kind of GotY package in the future I'd totally expect the mode to return. Plus extra cool stuff.

It's frustrating to me that I can't download the new patch on PS4 despite having 50gb of free space... Does this happen to anyone here?

This is happening to me, too. The patch is only 3 gb, but I wasn't able to download it with 25 gb free. I deleted enough to get 49 gb, and that was enough for it. (And after the patch started downloading my free space is back down to 24 gb? What.) I'm also having this issue with the latest Destiny patch, but all other game patches have been downloading fine.

Artdayne

I prefer KB+M and the main reason is because I dislike having to bring up the wheel with all the signs and bomb options on it. With KB+M, I mostly avoid it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

controller. i've only played the first game with a kb/m. 2 + 3 i used my 360 controller.

I did the bee glitch before patching. Bought all the rune recipes and still have 50k on the bank. Is this enough to get me everything on all DLCs assuming normal income? I had 8k before glitching. Lv19 right now.

I did the bee glitch before patching. Bought all the rune recipes and still have 50k on the bank. Is this enough to get me everything on all DLCs assuming normal income? I had 8k before glitching. Lv19 right now.

If you just want to get one particular set of grandmaster armour you'll be fine. If you were hoping to get all of them then you'll be short by a fairly substantial amount I think.

I got all of them but they just sit in my stash collecting dust, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just get the set that suits your build/playstyle.

Top Bottom