• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

How much should I get?

I can't say. I started B&W with 350,000, and I now have about 100,000 left. But a lot of that is me putting ridiculously expensive enchantments on things, changing my mind, taking them off, putting different ones on, buying super-expensive stuff I could easily craft (because money was no object), etc. :)

MadYarpen

Wow, I cannot imagine amassing 350k given the paltry income. I don't even dismantle unless I need it now.

You don't need that much. I think I've spent around 50k for wolf and manticore armors and mansion upgrades. Although I wasn't buying the most expensive ingredients for crafting but i was buying ingredients needed to craft them - like dimeritium ore to make bars and from bars I was doing plates etc. It's cheaper this way. Or I was even buying ingredients to craft ore or whatever.

Mediking

Kinda sucks how you can't use other Abilities after you filled them all up. I just hit level 33 but I haven't beat the game yet. All my stuff is filled but I still got Ability Points to use but no more empty slots :(

MadYarpen

Kinda sucks how you can't use other Abilities after you filled them all up. I just hit level 33 but I haven't beat the game yet. All my stuff is filled but I still got Ability Points to use but no more empty slots :(

You can change active skills, you know that?

Quotient

So i am still early in the game but it seems to be that the beastiary, potions and oils are not as relevant in this game as they were in the previous games.

In the Witcher 1 & 2 it was a requirement to use the right signs, potions and oils, and to research, in order to defeat a beast. While in Witcher 3 i haven't used an oils or potions in battles and am primarily using igni. Maybe the need for potions and oils rises as you progress?

Also the initial difficulty curve is a lot easier than Witcher 1 and 2. I remember the first boss batter in Witcher 1 being a challenge, whereas i easily defeated the Griffin in Witcher 3. I am playing on the 2nd hardest right now (blood and bones i think).

Is there any way to quickly switch between signs without bringing up the wheel? I remember doing it before but for the life of me I can't recall how anymore.

XB1 version.

Just got this game on ps4. I wanted to start it last night but started looking at the all the settings and didn't want start without getting some info. What gameplay/audio/visual settings should i be going into this with? I mostly don't want to start and find out way later that ticking a few settings on/off could've drastically increased my enjoyment. Thanks for any info :)

CHC

Just got this game on ps4. I wanted to start it last night but started looking at the all the settings and didn't want start without getting some info. What gameplay/audio/visual settings should i be going into this with? I mostly don't want to start and find out way later that ticking a few settings on/off could've drastically increased my enjoyment. Thanks for any info :)

Gameplay - definitely go for alternate movement controls, it's just tighter all around.

HUD - check the auto hide options and turn off the constant controls display after first hour or so (the thing that shows you what button to hit for sprint, attack etc - it's unnecessary after the tutorial). Also I would say turn off horse stamina, horse fear and boat damage displays. None of those are really that helpful they're just clutter honestly.

There's a lot of others that are just personal preference. Honestly I would just play for a while and see what you like - there have been tons of patches based on feedback so if there's something you want CDPR probably added an option for it.

Thanks guy!

I'll watch some recap videos to make sure I'm not missing out.
The funny thing is that even if you played W1 and W2, stuff in W3 might still have you scratching your head, because a lot of it references the books (far more than the previous two games). That's why I suggested some background reading (e.g. wikis) too, just the get the broadest strokes of some of the character history from the books.

ngower

I think I might be terrible at this game.

I booted it up after taking a detour through some other games for a while, am at the Ladies of the Wood quest. I got to a point where I need to do something in a tree, but there's a werewolf that I couldn't beat so I decided to see what the internet suggests (long story short: griffin armor). So I began hunting for those. Problem is, the silver sword is protected by a baddy that wrecks my shit every time. I feel like my armor and weapons are perpetually being damaged and I don't have the materials or crowns to repair them regularly, making everything that much more challenging. I'm fairly early on in the game and am REALLY struggling--is the game supposed to be this hard? I think I'm playing on Normal or w/e, but might drop down to Easy (I sure as hell hope this isn't on Easy or I might just give up on video games forever). Anyone have any advice for (a) getting more money and (b) getting my health/strength up so I'm not dying so frequently?

MadYarpen

I think I might be terrible at this game.

I booted it up after taking a detour through some other games for a while, am at the Ladies of the Wood quest. I got to a point where I need to do something in a tree, but there's a werewolf that I couldn't beat so I decided to see what the internet suggests (long story short: griffin armor). So I began hunting for those. Problem is, the silver sword is protected by a baddy that wrecks my shit every time. I feel like my armor and weapons are perpetually being damaged and I don't have the materials or crowns to repair them regularly, making everything that much more challenging. I'm fairly early on in the game and am REALLY struggling--is the game supposed to be this hard? I think I'm playing on Normal or w/e, but might drop down to Easy (I sure as hell hope this isn't on Easy or I might just give up on video games forever). Anyone have any advice for (a) getting more money and (b) getting my health/strength up so I'm not dying so frequently?

First of all try Moon Dust bomb. It prevents werewolf from regenerating its health.
Selling junk is good way to get enough money to repair your gear.

Sai

How do you get money. I'm constantly broke
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=207366125#post207366125

Forgot to mention that there are certain merchants in or around Novigrad that will buy your stuff full-price. Don't know if any patches have changed it, but there's a merchant to the north of Novigrad, just west and below of St. Gregory's Bridge that leads to the northern island, that sells a bunch of bottles; he's one of them. The other is a either a mage or alchemist in hiding that works in the Crematorium east of Novigrad.

They have limited funds, so you'll have to make repeated visits. So if you have some trophies, bolts, or other miscellaneous items you'd like to sell off, look 'em up.

BeeDog

Quick question for the TW3 pros: I only have the Death March difficulty trophy left; if I decide to go through the game in NG+ and speed-run/focus ONLY on the main quest, how many hours can I expect to put down? I am currently level 54 after finishing off both DLC's. Thanks in advance.

ngower

First of all try Moon Dust bomb. It prevents werewolf from regenerating its health.
Selling junk is good way to get enough money to repair your gear.

Yeah I sell some of the weaker weapons that have been damaged rather than reparing them, as I can typically get a steel weapon fairly easily.

Do I need the pattern for the moon dust bomb, if so where can I find it? Or do I just buy at certain shops? And is there a place where you receive the recipe for the Swallow potion? Cause I just meditate to replenish my stock and those go QUICK.

Smokey

Is there a particular merchant in Velen who sells bomb blue prints? Trying to do a side quest and on this enemy a type of bomb that I don't have is recommended to defeat it quicker. I've tried multiple times without it, and it seems my attacks do nothing.

Sai

Not sure where I first picked up the diagram for the Moon Dust bomb, but I think a lot of them are pretty randomized, aren't they?

I know I had it by the time I took on both that Werewolf, and the Jenny o' the Woods contract, so you can get it early.

Is there a particular merchant in Velen who sells bomb blue prints? Trying to do a side quest and on this enemy a type of bomb that I don't have is recommended to defeat it quicker. I've tried multiple times without it, and it seems my attacks do nothing.
Which one?

MadYarpen

Yeah I sell some of the weaker weapons that have been damaged rather than reparing them, as I can typically get a steel weapon fairly easily.

Do I need the pattern for the moon dust bomb, if so where can I find it? Or do I just buy at certain shops? And is there a place where you receive the recipe for the Swallow potion? Cause I just meditate to replenish my stock and those go QUICK.

You need a diagram for moondust bomb. Try herbalist to the east (I think) from novigrad.
And what do you mean with swallow? If you have it made once, you always have max 3/4/5 bottles depending on potion level and after you use them all you need to meditate.

Elfstruck

Decided to jump back into this game, but there is one thing that is bugging me. I can't seem to craft greater glyph/rune even though I already have the recipes. In the menu, I could see the recipes for them, yet there is no option to craft them when I visit the smith. I even went to master smith to check, but still no option. Any idea?

Game is suddenly crashing consistently for me in Blood & Wine when gameplay starts after the scene
where the Queen decides to ride off to the Vineyard with you and her Captain.

Shit :(

Carbonox

Anything I can do to fix this shitty Wolf Armor quest? Can't do shit in the signal tower.

Edit: Doesn't seem there is. Despite the claim this mission was fixed in the latest patch that's quite clearly not the case. I cannot proceed with this quest at all because I'm unable to do anything in the Signal Tower the quest asks me to do. Fucking A.

Edit 2: I think the killer is that I downloaded this quest AFTER arriving in Kaer Morhen. That's what they haven't fixed. It's completely bummed me out now.

Auctopus

Sorry for all the Gwent questions but can I just double check...

If I'm trying to collect em all and I beat a merchant/blacksmith, there's no need to play that person again? I can just check them off as I go?

Sorry for all the Gwent questions but can I just double check...

If I'm trying to collect em all and I beat a merchant/blacksmith, there's no need to play that person again? I can just check them off as I go?
As DeathJr said, only one for each; but do remember to check if they're selling any cards.

Smokey

Not sure where I first picked up the diagram for the Moon Dust bomb, but I think a lot of them are pretty randomized, aren't they?

I know I had it by the time I took on both that Werewolf, and the Jenny o' the Woods contract, so you can get it early.

Which one?

Moon Dust and Dimeritium Bomb

Trying to get them for the Jenny contract. I've put specter oil on my blade and she basically LOLs at me.

Sai

Quick web search tells me that the halfling herbalist Northeast of Oxenfurt sells the diagram for the Moon Dust bomb, but I'm almost certain I tackled the Jenny O' the Woods Contract with that bomb before I went in that direction on my second run through the game...

Never felt that I needed the Moon Dust bomb for her though. What level are you? Are you making good use of Yrden?

Smokey

Just use Yrden. When she starts splitting into three, run a bit then use crossbow so you don't get drained.

Quick web search tells me that the halfling herbalist Northeast of Oxenfurt sells the diagram for the Moon Dust bomb, but I'm almost certain I tackled the Jenny O' the Woods Contract with that bomb before I went in that direction on my second run through the game...

Never felt that I needed the Moon Dust bomb for her though. What level are you? Are you making good use of Yrden?

I think I tried this...and she just skated right through. I tried multiple times and kept asking myself if i am somehow playing this wrong, because nothing seemed to work hence looking for those bombs.

Sai

It depends on how you're positioning yourself. Set down Yrden a short ways away from her, and approach her just enough to bait that lunge, and dodge(short/step dodge, not the leap dodge) to the side so she'll be left in the trap.

You should be able to get at least two good heavy swings before she flashes off and starts making clones. When that happens, do as Wolf Akela suggested—keep your distance with a leap dodge, and pick the clones off with your crossbow so she doesn't drain your health. Your level's high enough, so if you adjust your strategy a bit, you'll definitely be able to finish her off. Good luck! :D

Rosenskjold

It might have been mentioned already, but I googled "honor and fatherland", the redanian motto, and wiki says: "God, Honour, Fatherland (Polish: Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna) or Honour and Fatherland (Honor i Ojczyzna) is one of the unofficial mottos of Poland. It is commonly seen as the motto of the military of Poland, and has been confirmed as such by several Polish legal decrees. "

Auctopus

The learning curve for Gwent is so bizarre.

Finally beat the Velen Innkeepers and a handful of Merchants/Blacksmiths. I'm pretty confident now when before I was pretty hopeless. I don't feel like I've even got that many better cards (Except Yen) but I guess my timing has just got better.

I have a question:

I've bought the Expansion Pass now and it seems that I have once deleted my The Witcher 3 installation. Not a big problem, but I've forgotten to backup my save-file :( I really don't have the time and motivation to play through The Witcher 3 a second time. Do you know if I have to beat the game to play the expansions? I hope not!

Sai

Guys Im getting my ass kick on wild at heart, that werewolf is whooping my ass and I have cursed oil! Any tips? Im on blood and broken bones
Stick with fast attacks, unless you can catch him vulnerable after he attacks you with something big. Moon Dust bomb, or Igni to stop him from regenerating once he starts howling.

Don't block. Try to make good use of the short dodge, and only dive away if he uses his big lunge attack. Good thing about Werewolves is that they don't attack consecutively, so you should have an easier time getting accustomed to the timing of his attacks.

I have a question:

I've bought the Expansion Pass now and it seems that I have once deleted my The Witcher 3 installation. Not a big problem, but I've forgotten to backup my save-file :( I really don't have the time and motivation to play through The Witcher 3 a second time. Do you know if I have to beat the game to play the expansions? I hope not!
You don't have to beat it all over again. The game actually gives you an option to start a new game just to play the expansions alone with an appropriate level and equipment.

You really should try running through the game once more though. :D

Top Bottom