• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Quotient

Hey folks, I just started my first playthrough of Witcher 3 and I was wondering, should I investigate all the question marks on the map screen or am I gonna burn myself out playing like that?

I tried doing all the question marks but you get burnt pretty quick - most of them are bandits, deserters or pirates.

In my opinion this is the one weak aspect of the game.

MrDaravon

FINALLY getting towards the end of the game, been chipping away at it for a while, at about 150 hours and I'm in the final set of story missions. I've done everything possible quest/exploration-wise except for Collect 'em All which I'm in the middle of looking at right now since I'm debating on whether or not I want to do that (I'm not as hot on Gwent as everyone else seems to be, and since I've only done the bare minimum Gwenting for quests I'm missing like 36 cards still).

Two quick questions:

-I still haven't gotten the DLC yet; should I wait until I finish the main story to get the DLC and go through them, or should I do it before I beat the main story? For reference I'm level 34 right now and appear to be in the final chain of story missions. If it's after do I need to keep a save at a specific point, or does the game handle the DLC in such a way that's a non-issue?

-Can you change the difficulty when doing New Game+? I'm just playing on Normal or Hard (forget which), half-debating if I should go for the Platinum on this but wouldn't want to start over completely fresh again to do it on Death March.

Vic_Viper

Picked this up for PS4 last night since my PC copy constantly crashes to desktop. If anyone is thinking about picking it up, its on sale for 30$ at Gamestop. Got MGSV TPP, Witcher 3, and Until Dawn for 47$

Currently im in the cave with the portals, think im still pretty early on since I didnt really follow the storyline when I played after it first came out.

How do I switch between regular and DLC outfits for characters like Triss?

And is there a good way to get money now in Vanilla Witcher 3? Dont have the expansions yet, and im only level 10 still.

MadYarpen

FINALLY getting towards the end of the game, been chipping away at it for a while, at about 150 hours and I'm in the final set of story missions. I've done everything possible quest/exploration-wise except for Collect 'em All which I'm in the middle of looking at right now since I'm debating on whether or not I want to do that (I'm not as hot on Gwent as everyone else seems to be, and since I've only done the bare minimum Gwenting for quests I'm missing like 36 cards still).

Two quick questions:

-I still haven't gotten the DLC yet; should I wait until I finish the main story to get the DLC and go through them, or should I do it before I beat the main story? For reference I'm level 34 right now and appear to be in the final chain of story missions. If it's after do I need to keep a save at a specific point, or does the game handle the DLC in such a way that's a non-issue?

-Can you change the difficulty when doing New Game+? I'm just playing on Normal or Hard (forget which), half-debating if I should go for the Platinum on this but wouldn't want to start over completely fresh again to do it on Death March.
finish the main game first.

Sai

Maybe i should try aard again. So alt aard and extra intensisty is a must to be good?
Yeah, but you don't necessarily have to raise Aard's intensity. Aard's intensity determines the precentage of a chance to knock down an opponent, but I find it does it often enough without buffing its intensity.

I usually only have Far-reaching Aard, Aard Sweep equipped.

Oh, and if you have, or plan to get Blood & Wine, you'll love the Piercing Cold Mutagen. :D

Gwent is here!

CodFUuyUMAAOWfU.jpg

Quotient

The strength of a monster or enemy based on their level seems a little off to me. I am currently level 11. i have been able to battle enemies many levels above me but there is this one witcher contract - the swamp thing. This contract is suggested level 12 so it should be manageable for my level 11 Geralt but the creature kills me in 2 hits. It is like fighting a beast who is many, many levels higher than me.

Sai

What kind of equipment are you using? First time I took on that contract, I was only one or two levels short of it as well. It's at that point that the armor and weapon set you left White Orchard with—the Kaer Morhen armor/Warrior's Leather Jacket & Viper School swords—start to show their age, so to speak.

Wasn't able to complete it until I retired that equipment, and crafted the Griffin School set. Wonder if I'd be able to get past it with the starting equipment now...

Theorry

Yeah, but you don't necessarily have to raise Aard's intensity. Aard's intensity determines the precentage of a chance to knock down an opponent, but I find it does it often enough without buffing its intensity.

I usually only have Far-reaching Aard, Aard Sweep equipped.

Oh, and if you have, or plan to get Blood & Wine, you'll love the Piercing Cold Mutagen. :D

Yeah i have it now. Its pretty fun.

Quotient

What kind of equipment are you using? First time I took on that contract, I was only one or two levels short of it as well. It's at that point that the armor and weapon set you left White Orchard with—the Kaer Morhen armor/Warrior's Leather Jacket & Viper School swords—start to show their age, so to speak.

Wasn't able to complete it until I retired that equipment, and crafted the Griffin School set. Wonder if I'd be able to get past it with the starting equipment now...

I have upgraded numerous times since leaving white orchard. I don't recall the names of the swords or armour, but my silver sword is 120-150 and armour is in the 60s. I'll have to boot the game up to be sure.

Edit: my silver sword is the maugrim (146-178) and my armour is verden archers gambeson (64)

FDC1

I got a nice mail this morning with a 20% discount for the expansion pass, so both DLC fot the price of Blood & Wine. Anyone else got it? I'm in Europe by the way.

Edit: I forgot to say it was for the PS4 version

If you use potion of clearance. Do you lose the great mutagens?
Or do they go back to the inventory to be used again?
I believe actually that they just stay there. You could just quicksave and do it, if anything is weird/wrong you just reload, so that you're safe no matter what.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Just started HoS. Is the Viper armor the next best thing to go for?
Now i have still mastercrafted Ursine. But yeah cant upgrade it until Blood and Wine i believe?

when i started HoS I had my mastercrafted wolf gear and went for the viper which was better but i'm not sure how it compares to ursine. the thing that bothers me is that you don't even get the full set (including swords) until the very last quest and if you make the wrong decision then you can't get the last piece and even then it's easily missable. i used my viper set throughout Blood & Wine only because i couldn't get enough money to upgrade my mastercrafted wolf set. maybe if i hadn't wasted 30,000 on that runewright guy in HoS.

Can anyone tell me what the filesize of the base game including patches is? The PS store says 35GB, but i'm not sure whether that includes the patches. The reason i'm asking is because i've downloaded the 2 expansions yesterday and the game's complete size shows as approximately 48GB on my PS4, but i could have sworn that it was already close to that before the expansions, which add up to 18GB. Did the expansions perhaps replace some of the data from the patches?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anyone have recommendation on a good build? I'm currently level 32 and I've mainly been putting points in the combat tree. Think this is what I have now:

http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/s...&sign=143_153_243&general=211_221_231_241_251

I was interested in a solid swordplay build over something more sign-orientated and used this one:

In order of importance & level unlocked: muscle memory, cat school technique, survival instinct, resolve, precise blows, exploding shield, undying, whirl, razor focus, fleet footed, strength training, and crushing blows.

I did make one small tweak in that I opted to just keep Sun & Stars (which I found to be useful very early on, prior to amassing a ton of drinks and food) rather than later reuse the slot for Survival Instinct as it's nice to have relatively quick health regen while simply running from Point A to Point B and Undying makes actually dying rather difficult, especially when combined with Razor Focus.

Eusis

Beat the game last night, for my ending
Ciri is alive and Empress of Nilfgard, Temeria has it's semi-independence, Cerys rules Skellige, and Geralt is with Yennefer.

I admittedly spoiled myself on choices and
decided to take Ciri to see Emhyr and take the stance of letting her make her own decision, but it ended up making the epilogue really bittersweet and more poignant than I anticipated. :(

How likely is is that the GOTY Edition will improve combat?

And how much of a bitch am I for being afraid to finally finish the game and face the consequences of my actions?

Is there a solid balanced build? Level 42, a bit ways into Blood and Wine and while I've managed my way through the game so far I realize my skill assignments have been haphazard at best. I keep seeing a lot of good but very strict builds either focused on combat/alchemy or signs, but for me I use everything and generally find useful things across the board. I mainly do sword combat but I use signs a lot as well, and I'd hate to skimp out on those. I also like Axii for conversations and combat.

Maybe I should just closely consider everything and figure out where to dump my points after resetting them, but I'd hate to fuck it up lol.

Theorry

I am level 44 now. Is it worth it to craft my Grandmaster Ursine steel sword? Or should i wait for level 48 and get the Toussaint steel sword?

Ferrio

Banned
Just started this up again last week and I'm hooked.

First time I played was at launch on the PS4, and I stopped playing shortly after the tutorial area (griffon etc). Now I'm playing on my PC with everything maxxed and close to 60 fps (gsync yay).

Around level 11, just running around Velen doing anything and everything. Had to bump up the difficulty to Death March since the combat was starting to become trivial. Also just finally realized you can fast travel, which I'm sorta mixed on. Before I figured you'd have to hoof it everywhere, so I was trying to be as efficient as possible. At the same time that's just a lot of busy work that eats up time in an already huge ass game, so there's a bit of relief.

Around what level do people usually finish the main game at?

edit: Also hooked on Gwent, so I'm looking forward to full game. It invokes that same feeling Triple Triad did.

scoobs

I just finished B&W, incredible. Better than 95% of actual single player campaigns out there. I've just started my 4th playthrough ... Send help

I just finished B&W, incredible. Better than 95% of actual single player campaigns out there. I've just started my 4th playthrough ... Send help

I love helping:
Try to screw everything up. Make as many enemies as possible. Get all your friends killed.
It will be such a sad playthrough, you won't touch the game ever again ;-;

Berto

Finally finished Blood and Wine at around 50 hours playtime wich puts my Witcher 3 first and only playtime at 215 hours! Such a beautifull game, very bittersweet ending knowing that Geralt will not return. The Witcher trilogy was an incredible rollercoaster and i'm glad it ended in such a high note.

Eusis

What's the best way to make money in this game? Sell items? Loot? I'm on the
Bloody Baron
quest and just ran out of money to repair my armor. I'm about 11 hours into the game.

Eusis

Selling loot generally. Or exploiting, dunno if there's new exploits to use, the last involved shoving a honeycomb all the way to that dwarf blacksmith in White Orchard.

FaceTurn

So I'm doing the main quests in Velen: Family matters and ladies of the wood and have a question about the order

I did Family matters first so when I did ladies of the wood, Geralt figured that Gran is the baron's wife. What if I did ladies of the wood first though? When Geralt is being told about the markings on the baron's wife's hands by the fisherman, does it click for him then?

A little bit of information on the GOTY Edition:
https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/co...on_of_witcher_3_will/?st=irfdags0&sh=1d1d8d66

It will have "a lot of nice things, the expansions and no bugs."

No bugs... hmm, I'll believe it when I see it. :p

So the GotY will basically be the EE, just under a different name?

I wonder if we'll see that cut Iorveth content completed. That, and the Wild Hunt Infiltration quest are the two that I really want to see. I'd pay for that. I'm not expecting anything new really, but it would be cool. Probably just a coincidence that they keep posting things related to him (1, 2). At least he'll probably get a part in the Gwent game. Still, it would be nice for him to be in TW3, considering that they said about his role back in the day; that he would be a changed man.

The Martin Kraft Ebbing and the Devil's Pit content also sounded interesting. Basically, it would have involved a guy experimenting with the plague, and that's what the southern area of Velen would have been used for.

MadYarpen

So I'm doing the main quests in Velen: Family matters and ladies of the wood and have a question about the order

I did Family matters first so when I did ladies of the wood, Geralt figured that Gran is the baron's wife. What if I did ladies of the wood first though? When Geralt is being told about the markings on the baron's wife's hands by the fisherman, does it click for him then?

It is arranged so that one of the quests cannot be moved further if the other is not finished. IIRC you cannot finish ladies of the wood first, you have to resolve family matters at some point.

BizzyBum

Got my new 4K monitor and even with an OC'd 1080 I'm not quite at 60fps. What can I turn down/off for that boost with little to no downgrade in the image? Right now everything is maxed out.

I turned off AA and Hairworks to start. Post processing stuff that is off are things like motion blur, blur, CA, vignette.

Got my new 4K monitor and even with an OC'd 1080 I'm not quite at 60fps. What can I turn down/off for that boost with little to no downgrade in the image? Right now everything is maxed out.

I turned off AA and Hairworks to start. Post processing stuff that is off are things like motion blur, blur, CA, vignette.

Vegetation render distance has a very high impact on performance, but there is a visible downgrade when it's turned down.
Setting shadows to high is also worth trying.

MadYarpen

I'm dubious of this claim. Anyone speak Polish and can confirm if he indeed said this?

"Many interesting things, will be in fact "dlcs/expansions put together" *, and will not have bugs"

* - I don't think he meant it will have no base game, but that's what he said.

Coreda

"Many interesting things, will be in fact "dlcs/expansions put together" *, and will not have bugs"

* - I don't think he meant it will have no base game, but that's what he said.

Hmm, guess we'll see.

Vegetation render distance has a very high impact on performance, but there is a visible downgrade when it's turned down.
Setting shadows to high is also worth trying.

Reduced foliage range definitely looks worse, though I've found setting shadows to medium doesn't have a noticeable drop in quality, except at long distances where shadows on trees are dropped. It's mostly noticeable atop mountains but apart from that not very much and you save about 5fps.

Auctopus

After starting earlier this year, I caught up with the English translations of the Witcher series.

For people who have "The Tower of Swallows" in paperback, is it an annoyingly big size for you? It's about 50% bigger than the first 4 books and looks ridiculous.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
After starting earlier this year, I caught up with the English translations of the Witcher series.

For people who have "The Tower of Swallows" in paperback, is it an annoyingly big size for you? It's about 50% bigger than the first 4 books and looks ridiculous.

the same happened when Sword of Destiny released. it was much bigger than the others. they did eventually re release it so it fits in with the rest of the books so i'm sure the same will happen with Tower of Swallows & Lady of the Lake.

CiAWy4i.jpg

Auctopus

the same happened when Sword of Destiny released. it was much bigger than the others. they did eventually re release it so it fits in with the rest of the books so i'm sure the same will happen with Tower of Swallows & Lady of the Lake.

CiAWy4i.jpg

Ah ok, I accidentally skipped sword of destiny. Won't hurt to rebuy tower of swallows in 6 months I guess!

Still quite awkward to hold but gonna start it after the book I'm currently reading. Baptism of Fire was my favourite so far (after being disappointed slightly by ToC) so I'm looking forward to it! Seems a fair bit longer too.

Cronen

CiAWy4i.jpg

I'm about halfway through The Last Wish now, and I did notice that Sword of Destiny was a lot bigger in size compared to the rest of the books that I saw in the store. Interesting to see that they re-released it, I will have to keep an eye out for the smaller size.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Lol at that Reddit logic.

"Is it gonna be free for those who own the game and both expansions already?"

"No official word about that, but because it is CDPR and they would have to maintain their PR, yes is a safe guess."

I'd guess those who own the game + both expansions will get the GOTY Edition for free while loyalty discounts will be offered to those who own just the game or the game + one expansion (stab in the dark: 50% off and 75% off, respectively).

I do wonder about console players, though. I think Dishonored: Definitive Edition was the first and thus far only re-release with a loyalty program on the console side (it was pre-purchaseable at half off if you bought the PS3/X360 version digitally), but at least now there's precedent.

Top Bottom