• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Worst States for African Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.
VA being on this is weird. The stats they throw out honestly don't back its position on the list, and then they justify it with the education gap which is completely thrown off by the hyper educated NOVA. They even say that the college rate for black people is higher than most other states, just lower compared to the white people in the state. That doesn't make sense as a reason why it would be a bad place to live for a black person.

Yeah, NOVA throws everything off. Do some reading on the historical segregation and discrimination policies of the cities in Hampton Roads and VA's inclusion will make a little more sense.

That said I still don't think VA belongs on this list.

The geography's better, more spread out- MD's super hilly and much weirder in terms of layout because of it. VA's an interconnected web. This makes job hunting a lot easier, commute wise, because more options are opened up (within "not a pain in the ass to get to" range) And there are just straight up more jobs over here too.

VA taxes are lower. Being a blue bubble in a red/purple state has its benefits.

Driver's Ed is mandatory and taught in school. You only have to do the in-car stuff outside of school, and there's both public and private classes avail for that part. MD's setup results in 20+ year olds STILL not having a license.

MD has a much better public transportation system. From the rail system down to the bus system. MD provides more services for lower-income residents and has better affordable housing policies. The job hunting you're talking will likely require a car or be a really long commute in VA: Silver Spring, Bethesda, Rockville, Gaithersburg etc, are all connected by rail and bus lines (with further light rail lines supposedly in the works). Prince George's county has a plethora of undeveloped land and cheaper housing (though the school system isn't really good).

If you're low income, you're not going to be paying the state income taxes and I think VA has higher property taxes, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom