• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Worst States for African Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I was expecting a list dominated by southern states. Interesting.

EXMaster

and even if I don't visit somewhere on this list

lets be honest, it sucks being black everywhere in America. It really all comes down to specific communities and silver linings.

And there lies the long-running, ongoing, quandary of the Black American. There is no best state to live in, only areas that are less shitty than others.

LionPride

Banned

I honestly don't know why. The only people who should expect Southern States are those ignorant to how much stuff has happened related to black people in the North and how much they do not like us

I've lived all over Minnesota. Lived in the ghetto (North Minneapolis) for 14 years. Lived in a better but still poor Brooklyn Park for 3 years (suburb). Lived in white suburb of Maple Grove.

Graduated from Winona State (white/rural).

Have lived in Wayzata (90210 of Minneapolis metro) and white suburbia Plymouth after entering the workforce.

I now live in the Exurb of Rogers with my family of four and have been working downtown Minneapolis the last 10 years.

My Dad worked Burger King while my mom went to school to get a BA when I left high school and MA when I graduated college. At 58 has never made more than $45k as she works with pregnant teens, homeless, families, etc. I have lived and made friends with all walks of life. I've experienced both sides of the tracks.

The city, state, and county provide a ton of services. Bus kids to good suburban schools. Have employment programs. A strong volunteer force that do more than scoop broth and hammer nails for Habitat. African American Muslim leaders at the state and federal level.I for the life of me cannot fathom how we as a state can fix this situation.

RedSwirl

So is the disparity less in the south just because a lot of the white people are nearly as poor as the black people?

Oh, and I'm surprised Arkansas is apparently the 8th best. A lot of people don't think black people live in Arkansas, so maybe they just don't interact much. My family is from there and my mom always said the racism there (back in the 60's and 70's) was mostly from ignorance whereas in Georgia or somewhere it was actively malevolent.

kirblar

What makes it better?
The geography's better, more spread out- MD's super hilly and much weirder in terms of layout because of it. VA's an interconnected web. This makes job hunting a lot easier, commute wise, because more options are opened up (within "not a pain in the ass to get to" range) And there are just straight up more jobs over here too.

VA taxes are lower. Being a blue bubble in a red/purple state has its benefits.

Driver's Ed is mandatory and taught in school. You only have to do the in-car stuff outside of school, and there's both public and private classes avail for that part. MD's setup results in 20+ year olds STILL not having a license.

Can anyone ELI5 me why northern states are the worst?

I had always assumed the southern states due the racism, general poverty and slavery legacy

Wulfric

Yippie, my state is number #1. :(

If you venture outside of Milwaukee or Madison, the surrounding counties are nearly all white. Outside of tourism or camping, minorities have few reasons to visit the northern part of the state. In fact, everybody has few reasons to visit Wisconsin at all. We don't have anything special. Personally, I can't wait to move to Washington before it becomes even more expensive.

I've lived in both parts. NOVA is just so much better. (Especially if you have kids, the way MD's Driver's Ed is set up really screws things up for young people.)

MD's setup results in 20+ year olds STILL not having a license.

Damn, what's up with that kirb? That sounds really weird.

Looks like Rhode Island, New Jersey, and a couple of other states got their shit together since the 2014 thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=949306

Also here's the 5 best states according to TheRoot:

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2014/11/the_5_best_states_for_black_people/

Good information here.

Lots reflective of generational poverty and policies that kept black people from owning homes and living in neighborhoods commensurate with their levels of success and income. As a black man weighing his final options for relocation, this definitely helps reconfirm or newly confirm who should and should not be on my list.

Oregon is around 2% black, at most.

If you want the other numbers:

Prison: 2,061 per 100,000 (White: 336 per 100,000)
Unemployment: 13.6% (2014) (This is actually hard to pin down due to Oregon's low black population overall. Oregon's overall unemployment rate in 2014 was around 7%.)
Homeownership: 32.9% (2010) (All races: 62%)

So it isn't great.

oof.

SURGEdude

I'd be curious to know the effect of native born vs immigrant born populations on some of these metrics. Places like Minnesota have a huge portion of their black population made up of Somali immigrants for instance. In that context I'm not sure how reliable a stat like unemployment might be when compared to states with more established groups.

I'd be curious to know the effect of native born vs immigrant born populations on some of these metrics. Places like Minnesota have a huge portion of their black population made up of Somali immigrants for instance. In that context I'm not sure how reliable a stat like unemployment might be when compared to states with more established groups.
Most immigrant groups of that type tend to do far better. All of my African friends have done extremely well. Literally all of them. Less history and baggage to deal with, generally stable homes.

It's like comparing someone that came from a balanced and safe home to someone that has endured generations of abusive parenting. The starting point provides insight into the projected trajectory and the challenges.

SURGEdude

Most immigrant groups of that type tend to do far better. All of my African friends have done extremely well. Literally all of them. Less history and baggage to deal with.

It's like comparing someone that came from a balanced and safe home to someone that has endured generations of abusive parenting. The starting point provides insight into the projected trajectory and the challenges.

The reason I used that example though is because I think it's hard to argue the point you are making. Somalia is one of the most fucked up places in the world and has been for sometime. People coming from a country like that even when compared to people arriving from latin America or a place like Syria are likely to have a lot of barriers to employment from language, skills, and culture shock.

Trey

i didn't even know black folks lived in wisconsin. I suppose it was statistically guaranteed, but i mean

As a Wisconsinite i am not surprised. Madison usually ranks pretty high for worker cities for minorities. It doesn't really look like it's going to change anytime soon.

Hmmm

Active, every-day racism w/ better chances for propserity
or
No real chance for prosperity, but little day-to-day "active" racism

KingBroly

Banned
I wouldn't have guess MN and WI. But I suppose I'm uninformed since I don't live there and my memories of WI the one time I went there are faded at best.

daffy

Banned
I don't know. After reading it, it seems like if you don't have a college education, then you will have a tougher time in life. That's nothing new. I'd rather see studies based on the people who have earned at least a bachelor's degree and see how they are turning out compared to other races.

Except you don't just all of a sudden make money just by having a bachelor's degree. You have to be hired first. And who's doing the hiring in this country, family_guy?

I can go ahead and tell you as someone who actually does see how they are turning out. They still aren't getting hired or paid the way they should.

I'm white and middle class so I don't bring a really great perspective I'm sure, but I'm really surprised by MN being number 2. I've lived here for 5 years and it seems way less racist both personally and systemically than Arkansas (where I grew up).

I don't know. I'm saddened by this, it seemed our state was doing a lot right but maybe not.

Wisconsin - yah not surprised one bit.

Wulfric

They don't teach Driver's Ed in school. It's that simple.

That sounds totally unfair; driving a freaking life skill like personal finance. At least here in WI the class portion was taught right after school through a local company. It's not free, but instructors coming right to the school meant most of the 16 year olds signed up. And even then it took me a few tries to pass the test.

I had always assumed the southern states due the racism, general poverty and slavery legacy
While northern states was never as much into slavery and the like very little of non white people lived there or stayed. So give generations after generation of people never interacting with "others" and those others showing up and staying, they tend to go nutty

or other people can say it better and with more knowledge of the north

MightyKAC

I'm fairly certain Wisconsin (specifically Milwaukee, Wisconsin) has held the #1 spot on lists like this for about a decade.

It also doesn't help that our county Sheriff David Clarke is the biggest, most bitch-made Uncle Tom that Fox news ever put on a payroll...

maxresdefault.jpg

Except you don't just all of a sudden make money just by having a bachelor's degree. You have to be hired first. And who's doing the hiring in this country, family_guy?

I can go ahead and tell you as someone who actually does see how they are turning out. They still aren't getting hired or paid the way they should.

I don't doubt that it's not equal. Just like many women aren't getting paid the same as men. We have a long way to go in terms of being treated equal. However I would like a report that at least shows if any progress is being made. Things have always been bad, but is it getting better? Are more people getting the education that they need. Are more people getting the jobs that they deserve? If we're on an upward trajectory, even if it's minimal, then that's something to be hopeful about. There's nothing that's going to make everyone wake up tomorrow and stop being shitty towards one another. It's going to take a long time. The outlook isn't good, but I just hope that we don't regress under a Trump presidency.

Why does it feel the best states for people of color are the ones with insane CoL?

It's funny seeing Wisconsin on there, fun little story: When I attended schools here in AZ. I've noticed a large chunk of teachers came from Wisconsin and talked all the time about it... plus these teachers were openly hostile towards me. Every Wisconsin teacher I've ever had was hard to get along with, and many would pressure with with extra work. One PE teacher made me do extra exercises and I recall the quote "You people should be athletic, so you can handle it."

Now, living in AZ as long as I have, it should at least be #5. There are parts of Arizona that wishes it was the south, northern AZ is especially the shitstain of the state. I've had people from potential employers give me the business when applying for "white collar" positions, hell even people from my current employer didn't think I could qualify for the type of work some kid out of HS could do... that's fucking hurtful.

I also remember applying to what was going to be a hew Hospital (which was shut down and bought by our current, more corrupt one) and the young HR lady had this scowl on her face when I approached her. Was going to apply for an IT position and a Central Supply as a back up. She flat out snapped at me saying "You need at least a BA if you want to work IT." And when I told her that I did she immediately said "Psh I don't believe you -- I bet you don't even have a resu- " before she finished I handed her a clasp envelope with my credentials inside it. I could tell she wanted to "shoo" me a way as fast as possible.

Hell, maybe it was because I didn't dress in a suit and tie but it wasn't an interview, more like an open enrollment type of deal inside a tent away from the campus where applicants meet. Needless to say, I didn't get the job but not that it matters now.

LordKasual

Banned
I honestly don't know why. The only people who should expect Southern States are those ignorant to how much stuff has happened related to black people in the North and how much they do not like us

Well tbh, i came into this thread thinking the same way, and i live in the South. I guess it's just looking for a particular brand of it.

It's something about driving down a road and seeing houses in the cut flying giant confederate flags with big black "BEWARE OF DOG" signs on them. Of course i know the North aint much better but it's easy to think that way

To be fair though, i live in the Metro Atlanta area, which is pretty much the concentration of blacks in Georgia. So i'm not even in the worst of it.

pa22word

One of the greatest lies Hollywood ever told was that racism in the us is compartmentalized to the south.

Everybody gets to laugh at the rednecks and cheer as the guy with the cali accent shoots "white trash" and saves the day, and then feel better about themselves for how "forward thinking" their neck of the woods is. Reality is that racism is a countrywide phenomenon that rears its heinous head everywhere, and permeates every aspect of day to day life. North, south, east, and west, from pacific, to Atlantic, to the arctic, racism is one of the only constants you'll find across the nation.

FyreWulff

i was called for jury duty once here in the midwest and i shit you not, since the defendant was black, about 30 of the jurors (there were about 50) stood up and did the fox news "I'm just tired of them shooting each other all the time" speech verbatim

They hadn't even heard what the case was yet

this was the "say a little bit about who you are" phase

he was convicted in less than an hour of deliberations.

the majority of the jury pool had already mentally convicted him before they even knew what the crime was

DrArchon

Sad to see my state (VA) on the list, especially with those education gaps.

The legacy of massive resistance lives on I suppose.

Southerners were mostly forced to deal with their racism and northerners weren't. The south had desegregation, but segregation in places like Milwaukee or Chicago was more subtle, enforced through housing rather than separate doors for black people.

Just look at what happened when MLK took his fight to Chicago. The mess that led him there never really got cleaned up, and today Chicago and Milwaukee are still extremely segregated

Ewo

I live in Connecticut and it's pretty obvious why it's on the list. It's a state that has a lot of rich white people living on the shore, or nearer NYC, or near Yale. It's also got cities like Bridgeport and Hartford, which are not very well regarded. I can even look really close to home and compare Glastonbury with Manchester or East Hartford.

Sure, I didn't like seeing the state I've lived in for all my life being on there, but there's a reason it's got a reputation of being full of snooty rich people.

While northern states was never as much into slavery and the like very little of non white people lived there or stayed. So give generations after generation of people never interacting with "others" and those others showing up and staying, they tend to go nutty

or other people can say it better and with more knowledge of the north

Those midwestern states got the bulk of poor Black refugees fleeing from Southern Klan violence (which was a fierce & a systematic terror campaign) during the Jim Crow era. They arrived & competed with White immigrant groups for jobs & were used as union-busters anytime the White laborers went on strike. That kicked off waves of racial violence in the 20s that the local governance then exacerbated with biased policing, housing segregation, and public infrastructure programs that cut through Black communities, shuttered Black businesses & displaced Black homeowners, without so much as a penny of compensation.

Viewt

Southerners were mostly forced to deal with their racism and northerners weren't. The south had desegregation, but segregation in places like Milwaukee or Chicago was more subtle, enforced through housing rather than separate doors for black people.

Just look at what happened when MLK took his fight to Chicago. The mess that led him there never really got cleaned up, and today Chicago and Milwaukee are still extremely segregated

Yup.

dot-map-census.jpg

There have been so many "A Tale of Two Cities" articles written about Chicago that it's become a cliché.

bengraven

Ugh, I live in the twin cities, and I hate that MN is #2. I'm also not shocked in the least.

I'm pretty shook about this. Not shocked though just by population - at least ten years ago I saw maybe one black person for every 10 - 15 white people (outside the Cities).

That said, the Cities are one of the most liberal and understanding places you can live.

The rural areas where I grew up, though, are more racist and unforgivingly so than even the states I've lived in the Deep South.

theapg

Surprised VA is on the list., really. Even thought my hometown is known as "Arresterfield' instead of Chesterfireld. That description kinda throwin me off though.

VA being on this is weird. The stats they throw out honestly don't back its position on the list, and then they justify it with the education gap which is completely thrown off by the hyper educated NOVA. They even say that the college rate for black people is higher than most other states, just lower compared to the white people in the state. That doesn't make sense as a reason why it would be a bad place to live for a black person.

Barzul

As a white dude who lives in Texas, I am kinda surprised at the Northern dominance.

Because there's a lot more black people in the South. Black people are at the heart of a lot of Southern culture. I think there's something to be said about that. The south was the heart of the civil rights movement also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom