• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Worst States for African Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOONAMI

Wisconsin Milwaukee resident here. Yeah, black people have it bad. Real bad here. Most with any kind of college education run to Atlanta, NYC, or DC. Its really weird too, since peoples opinion of you will automatically change if they figure out you are "kinda" black. What I mean by that is, if they find out you are of Latin American descent (Dominican, Cuban, PR, etc) they treat you completely different. Its not just the white people either, Asians and other Latinos (mainly Mexican), suddenly become your best friend and its okay to date that groups women once they figure out Spanish is your first language.

The rest of Wisconsin is not somewhere black people should even be. Unless you play for the packers (and even then you will still be called colorful names), venturing outside of Milwaukee or Madison will almost guarantee you a very unique experience (when I say unique, I mean a bad time).

From MN, a strange thing I have noticed about Wisconsin folks is a clear differentiation if someone is "mixed" black or not. It's fucking weird and I have never heard a Minnesotan talking about it.

Like the connotation is x person is "just mixed" so they are cool. What the fuck.

And yes rural Wisconsin is a nightmare land of trump pence signs.

I went up near the UP in WI for a wedding in October and was blown away by all the trump support. I knew then that Hillary was not gonna win WI, regardless of Madison and Milwaukee.

LionPride

Banned
Yep. I love AZ.

How would Arizona be worst for Native Ameicans and Latinos? Tucson has almost 50% population of Hispanics.

Doesn't Arizona really dislike Hispanics/Latinos?

----------------------------

I like how most of those states are states where I am trying, or was trying to attend college. Lit

Fuchsdh

Looks like Rhode Island, New Jersey, and a couple of other states got their shit together since the 2014 thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=949306

Also here's the 5 best states according to TheRoot:

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2014/11/the_5_best_states_for_black_people/

Not to be negative, but with these rankings it could just be other places have gotten a whole lot worse rather than those states having gotten substantially better.

Same, but i do wonder if they split Texas cities vs. rest of Texas what this would look like

If you split the cities off from the rest of the states a whole lot of the states on this list would look a whole lot better, but then that's kind of masking the fact that state policy has a whole lot to do with improving outcomes for people. Can't just sit in our cities and pretend we're all enlightened when that actively hurts everyone around who can't move there.

Iksenpets

Banned
Is there a full 50 list? I want to see where up and coming states like Georgia and North Carolina are doing

Yeah, I'd really like to see how the sort of GA/NC/TX urbanized South ranks in this. I have a feeling they'll all be hovering around the midpoint, but I can't be sure.

Slayven

Yep. I love AZ.

How would Arizona be worst for Native Ameicans and Latinos? Tucson has almost 50% population of Hispanics.

arpaio_1463595805795_1324446_ver1.0.jpg

kswiston

Nova Scotia is a pretty good place for black people...for the most part.

Most escaped slaves were delivered to (and settled in) Ontario. Nova Scotia was an important end point to the route on the Atlantic coast but was minor in comparison.

Edit: there's some interesting history involving the integration of freed American slaves in Canadian society.

Kreed

Is there a full 50 list? I want to see where up and coming states like Georgia and North Carolina are doing

From the OP website, they used information from their "Black and White Inequality in all 50 states" list from August to help determine the top 10 worst states for black people list in the OP. This source list is for all 50 states, but as the title suggests this list is for "Black and white Inequality" based on incarceration, education, and segregation between black people and white people in each of the 50 states, so the order is different in the top 10 for this list vs the OP:

1) Wisconsin
2) Minnesota
3) Virginia
4) Florida
5) Illinois
6) New Jersey
7) Louisiana
8) Colorado
9) Nebraska
10) Iowa
11) Pennsylvania
12) Kansas
13) Alaska
14) Ohio
15) Michigan
16) Idaho
17) Indiana
18) Mississippi
19) Tennessee
20) California
21) Montana
22) Texas
23) Connecticut
24) Alabama
25) Arizona
26) Missouri
27) New York
28) South Carolina
29) Oregon
30) Massachusetts
31) Oklahoma
32) North Dakota
33) Nevada
34) Kentucky
35) North Carolina
36) Washington
37) Georgia
38) Maine
39) Maryland
40) South Dakota
41) Delaware
42) Arkansas
43) West Virginia
44) Utah
45) Rhode Island
46) Hawaii
47) New Mexico
48) Wyoming
49) Vermont
50) New Hampshire

JABEE

Segregation is alive and well in the United States. It's enforced via discrimination via real estate laws. In my hometown, there is a white and black part of town separated by tracks despite the local school being one of the first to de-segregate.

The thing that happens most of the time is rich white people send their children to private schools so they don't have to interact with minorities or poor people. They withdraw from the community and isolate themselves completely and the school systems become absolute shit.

These are the same people who pretend to be progressive and liberal, and make sure to remind you how they donate money to the poor, attend fun-runs for puppies, and attend steak dinners for non-profits they can write-off on their taxes. Not only are they entertained, but they can buy peace of mind.

They can live near industry and under-developed, underfunded communities, while completely insulating themselves from any of the pain and difficult work of living in said communities. This is what turning public planning into pseudo-capitalism has done.

It has transformed personal bigots into unaffected, bystanders to how terrible things have become for anyone trying to get ahead, disproportionately impacting minority communities.

I am not surprised at all the North East has these issues. It is an understood, appreciated reality. In an, "oh so that's why it's like that. I didn't even realize. Someone should really change that" way. "We should really talk about this in our next association meeting at the Union League."

E92 M3

Segregation is alive and well in the United States. It's enforced via discrimination via real estate laws. In my hometown, there is a white and black part of town separated by tracks despite the local school being one of the first to de-segregate.

The thing that happens most of the time is rich white people send their children to private schools so they don't have to interact with minorities or poor people. They withdraw from the community and isolate themselves completely and the school systems become absolute shit.

These are the same people who pretend to be progressive and liberal, and make sure to remind you how they donate money to the poor, attend fun-runs for puppies, and attend steak dinners for non-profits they can write-off on their taxes. Not only are they entertained, but they can buy peace of mind.

They can live near industry and under-developed, underfunded communities, while completely insulating themselves from any of the pain and difficult work of living in said communities. This is what turning public planning into pseudo-capitalism has done.

It has transformed personal bigots into unaffected, bystanders to how terrible things have become for anyone trying to get ahead, disproportionately impacting minority communities.

I am not surprised at all the North East has these issues. It is an understood, appreciated reality. In an, "oh so that's why it's like that. I didn't even realize. Someone should really change that" way. "We should really talk about this in our next association meeting at the Union League."

You can't blame people for wanting to send their kids to a good school. A lot of public schools are shit these days. Also, buying a house is an investment, so naturally people look for land that will hold value.

It has nothing to do with race (all races do this).

xnipx

You can't blame people for wanting to send their kids to a good school. A lot of public schools are shit these days. Also, buying a house is an investment, so naturally people look for land that will hold value.

Black people moving into your neighborhoods don't bring property values down. No matter how bad they want you to believe it. White flight is real.

Slayven

Yeah, I'd really like to see how the sort of GA/NC/TX urbanized South ranks in this. I have a feeling they'll all be hovering around the midpoint, but I can't be sure.
You called it
From the OP website, they used information from their "Black and White Inequality in all 50 states" list from August to help determine the top 10 worst states for black people list in the OP. This source list is for all 50 states, but as the title suggests this list is for "Black and white Inequality" based on incarceration, education, and segregation between black people and white people in each of the 50 states, so the order is different in the top 10 for this list vs the OP:

37, nice

According to Economic Policy Institute Research Associate Richard Rothstein, these disparities are entirely attributable to residential segregation, which in turn is attributable to deliberate, racially conscious, government policies implemented over the course of the 20th century. During this time, the Federal Housing Administration financed thousands of suburban development projects with the explicit requirement that no homes be sold to African Americans.
You cant enforce a racist housing policy till the 70s and 80s, then say "welp, nothing to do with race. Its a class issue!" as the fallout unfolds for decades before your eyes.
What lunacy.

jackal27

Banned
Sad to see Kansas on that list, surprised Oklahoma or Arkansas aren't, glad that Missouri isn't even though I know we have lots of room for improvement.

Sad that there has to be a list at all...

blakep267

I can attest to PA. Corbett massively cut school funding to the Philadelphia school district which is overwhelmingly black. It was sad visiting some of those school with super old books and packed classes with a teacher who couldn't control anything

Like that environment set so many kids back it's not even funny. Nothing was being learned

What's Wyoming like in general?

As a Brit who loves the scenery when I view it on Google Maps, a state that size with a population that low sounds awesome.

I can attest to PA. Corbett massively cut school funding to the Philadelphia school district which is overwhelmingly black. It was sad visiting some of those school with super old books and packed classes with a teacher who couldn't control anything

Like that environment set so many kids back it's not even funny. Nothing was being learned

Intended.

Loxley

<< Born n' raised Wisconsinite who went to college in Minnesota for a couple years - yep, that sounds about right :/

LordKasual

Banned
and even if I don't visit somewhere on this list

i still have plenty of fun bathroom rest stop messages to read while taking a piss elsewhere

lets be honest, it sucks being black everywhere in America. It really all comes down to specific communities and silver linings.

also feels great to have the news report on black people as if they don't exist / live in some distant country or some shit

its bad for us, i can't imagine what it's like to be a fucking native american

Infinite

Except the consequences has a lot to do with race.

Honestly this doesn't surprise me.

I grew up in the South (TN to be specific), and was shocked when I moved out of it later in life to find that everywhere else I went seemed more racist.
I mean yeah, the South is racist. No doubt about it, but other places are terrible. And to make it worse, they often think that they're not.

It's just anecdotal I know, but it still shocks me.

I don't know. After reading it, it seems like if you don't have a college education, then you will have a tougher time in life. That's nothing new. I'd rather see studies based on the people who have earned at least a bachelor's degree and see how they are turning out compared to other races.

Krakn3Dfx

Wow, Colorado at #8, I didn't expect that tbh.

Georgia at #37? Hmmm. When I was a kid (I was born in late '72), they closed down to park pool in my town in Georgia to keep the blacks out, and the place we did go swimming literally had a sign out front that said "No blacks".

My mom was married to a black man in middle Georgia for most of my childhood, so I spent from 9 until around 16 in a pretty much 100% black neighborhood other than the two of us.

We got the burning cross on the lawn when I was 12.

It really is, 2016 marked the turning point. Georgia, North Carolina, and one day in the not too far off future Texas will all be blue states. While several Midwestern states are becoming increasingly conservative.

major texas cities are all, if not largely, blue. The issue lies with the counties spanning the smaller towns. I don't see those counties going democrat unless they lose all hope from the republicans to keep their jobs in place.

I am happy CT is on this list. Fucking deserved.

Progressive, a lot of money coming in...

For white people. Only reason my family is doing alright is because my mom is too damn good at her job. And she has an american first name.

If any state was a personification of in state white flight, CT is up there.

The people were always nice and polite, but you could tell they just didn't like you at all. Just fake as fuck.

As someone born and raised in the midwest, I can honestly say we mostly feel the same way about people from the coasts. I think we all just need to agree that in general, none of us really like anyone else that isn't from our area of the country.

As someone born and raised in the midwest, I can honestly say we mostly feel the same way about people from the coasts. I think we all just need to agree that in general, none of us really like anyone else that isn't from our area of the country.
But everybody hates the Midwest. It's not even nice to visit like the South.

iavi

There's no real solid -state- for black folks, but there are great cities and ironically enough a lot of them are in shit states for black folk otherwise, where as the 'good' states don't have any particularly great cities. Word up to my ATL/GA folks.
Surprised to see California so low on the list. It's not a bad state in that you have to look over your shoulder for an angry racist when you cross a county line (most of them, there's still those parts) but it's a SHIT state for black people in terms of real prosperity. There's a lot of us, but sectioned off to the other side of the bridge, and I say this as a black man that resides in the bay works in tech, etc.

Nimbyism, dogwhistling, bougie liberalism, faux justice outrage central as they steadily underfund minority counties and have just as many police issues.

I honestly don't know which is worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom