• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking of going to France on Tuesday. Anyone been there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackMage

Banned
I've never been there but getting the chance to go to another country is not something to pass up!

unless.. you know.. it's like 3rd world or something.

Dead

well not really...yet
Paris is always a great city to visit, but what exactly would you be looking to do if you visit? theres pretty much everything you could want there

but yeah, not knowing a single word of french would be a little handicap

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Paris itself is a work of art. Go. The Louvre is very much worth a visit. Simply walking around Paris is wonderful. Look up a city guide, there's a lot to see.

Saturnman

Banned
Not all neighbourhoods are safe. Your unilingual ass could be in danger if you wander off to some of the tough surburbs.

I'd get a plan on what I wanted to visit first, probably aided by guide book or something.

Kola

I've been to France a lot of times without speaking French. Just memorize the most important sentences and you're ready to go. In Paris most people speak English although they don't like to. :) On the countryside you may experience serious problems without speaking the language.

Ill Saint

It's an incredible city. So much to see and do... You can spend hours sitting in a cafe just watching the crowd go by. Loved every minute of my time there and I'd go back in a second.

Plus the Parisienne girls are generally stunning.

seismologist said:
So you've been there? Is is worth checking out?

What kind of question is this? Who the HELL would claim Paris isn't worth checking out? You're doing an admirable job of enforcing the whole arrogant and ignorant American stereotype.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I went for 6 days a year ago (Paris). Very beautiful city. Much history.

I was let down by:

The women
People's oral hygiene

Other than that... Next time I travel over the pond, I'm going to Italy. Way prettier.

BTW. The Louvre is huge. Don't get lost in there...

Dagon

Yes, you should go. Paris is awesome. I've been there a few times now and it's the kind of city where you can just walk for ages and see interesting things. If you like art and museums in general, you're in for a treat.

The language thing shouldn't be a problem if you buy yourself a city guide and a book-style map of the city. It's quite easy to get around as well. It's not as cheap for you now as it was, say, a year ago, thanks to the weaker dollar, but it's still in unforgettable experience.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I've been there a few times now and it's the kind of city where you can just walk for ages and see interesting things. If you like art and museums in general, you're in for a treat

So basically, it's like New York. That was my immediate impression. Grafitti and all.

The US dollar gets no lover over there btw. Damn them Euros.

P.S. - Why don't people in Europe, or in France specifically, use wash clothes?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DaCocoBrova said:
wash clothes

wash cloths? like a facecloth? I never use them, I think they're terrible unhygenic. I use my hands and a good product to clean my face..I think the product is more important than having a cloth.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
i loved my stay in Paris - pity it rained nearly every day :(

one of my hilarious memories of my trip there was of two clueless american tourists in a cafe ordering 'chocolate brownies' and then saying 'ooh la laaaa!' in a really thick accent when their food arrived at the table - i dont know why i find that so funny. but i do. :p

Dilbert

Definitely get a city guidebook before you go, and plan out what things you plan to see in advance. Time flies, and you don't want to miss out on something important!

Buy a day pass for the Métro (subway) -- it's the easiest way to get around the city, and it's easy to navigate, even if you don't know French. Do NOT attempt to drive in Paris. Repeat: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE IN PARIS. It's a maze of one-way streets, intersections with multiple exits NOT at right angles, and CRAZY drivers. Drivers in Paris make Washington DC drivers look like DMV examiners.

You can survive without speaking French -- you'd be surprised how well you can get by with pointing and gesturing -- but you should know some basic phrases so you can read stuff on your own: directions, prices, menus, warning signs. Many people speak English, and despite what you may have heard, there isn't an automatic attitude towards Americans. However, I would strongly advise you to behave in a low-key manner, dress like the natives (no American-branded sneakers, no baseball hats or sports clothing, no white socks), and basically try to blend into the crowd. You never know who MIGHT have a problem with you -- so why stand out any more than you have to?

Paris pickpockets are legendary. Keep your valuables in your front pocket, and check it at least every minute or two. Do NOT allow yourself to be touched -- if you get bumped, never assume it's an accident, and check your pockets instantly. Consider buying a cheap "decoy" wallet to keep in your back pocket. Do not wear flashy or expensive jewelry. Hold on to cameras and purses very tightly.

As for what to see -- the typical touristy stuff can be really nice. The Eiffel Tower does provide a nice view of the city, and it's in a beautiful central mall which is pretty to walk through. However, it's also crowded as hell. I went to the Louvre, and although pretty, I should have known better given my taste in art -- I MUCH prefer more modern art. If you only get to one art museum, it's probably a toss-up between the Louvre and Musée d'Orsay, which houses works by many of the familiar Impressionist and Post-Impressionist painters. I had a chance to go to the Catacombs, and they were a sobering and impressive experience. (The entrance is hard to find since it's so nondescript -- you need to exit the Métro at Denfert-Rochereau and look around for a little bit.) I didn't see much of Nôtre-Dame since it was Sunday morning and services were going on, so it was inappropriate to enter. (That didn't stop a shitload of tourists from going in and taking pictures DURING the service, though. I wanted lightning to strike them down BADLY, but God must have been busy that day.)

Stuff I didn't get to visit, but wanted to badly: Musée d'Orsay, Montmartre (artist's colony at the top of a hill; right next to the famous cathedral Sacre Coeur), the Picasso Museum, Centre Pompidou, and Versailles (which isn't in Paris proper, but is not far from the city).

Finally, the food is SUPERB. Enjoy a coffee (mmmm, European coffee) and a pastry, and people-watch for a little while at a cafe. I won't even bother to make dinner recommendations, but I DO suggest having wine with every meal. French chocolate is also very good and underrated.

Hope you have an awesome time!

-jinx- said:
Do NOT attempt to drive in Paris. Repeat: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE IN PARIS. It's a maze of one-way streets, intersections with multiple exits NOT at right angles, and CRAZY drivers. Drivers in Paris make Washington DC drivers look like DMV examiners.

Word on that, attempting to drive in Paris and thinking that roads will make sense just won't work. Parisian streets (except the boulevards) were made of tandum building since the city was a village.

I find one of the most enjoyable things to do in Paris is just walk around, The buildings are all pretty, the cafes are all good, and its just damn gorgeous.

Just dress unassuming (tshirt and jeans is fine), and don't be an ass, and you will have a great time.

Oh, buy some cheese, for God's sake, get some fucking cheese. It will blow your fucking mind how good it is.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Also, one bit of advice. Around touristy areas there tends to be "traders" of souveniers and such just walking around on the street with their goods. I would advise against purchasing from them - some of them are just there as distractions for pick-pocketing partners and others are out to rip you off. I can't remember the exact specifics of how it happened, but when I was outside Notre Dam with a friend (we were kids at the time), he managed to end up 50 pounds short after a transaction with one of the souvenier dealers there. We looked for the guy afterwards, but he had disappeared. Be warned.

Oh yeah, the artist's quarter is really nice. Though I remember we had to walk through the red light district to get to it. My young eyes saw a transvestite prostitute for the first time that night :(

I loved the Louvre. If you're interested in classical art go see.

edit - oh, and the barge trip on the Seine at night is worthwhile.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I've been to Nice. It was nice, I had fun taking a tour around.

Never been to Paris though. I've heard from many people that it smells.

Santo

I went to Paris in January and had an awesome time, I absolutely love it there. I don't know so much about going by yourself as being in a foreign country that you don't speak the language of will get a bit overwhelming at times, although most people there DO speak english, I'd at least learn the basics to say like hello and do you speak english and thank you and what not.

Other than that, pretty much everything jinx said is spot on, get a few guides, do some research on the net, get a metro pass. And yes, the women there are absolutely goregous, that will probably be worth the price of admission alone. :)

Also keep in mind that hotels in Paris are very different than hotels in the states. Very very small rooms, sometimes even community bathrooms. Even for a high price it's tough to find a U.S.-esque hotel. The best thing about hotels there for the non-native speaker is probably that pretty much every hotel owner can speak english quite well and give you some tips and suggestions on where to go.

That being said, with beautiful women, amazing food, breath-taking sights, awesome history and more things that you could positively have time for to do, it's wellllllll worth it. Do it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Two novembers ago I went to Paris and then London, and had a wonderful time. Oh, and the Metro is a definite must. The subway system they have in Paris completely owns anything in America, anything. Of course, this isn't considering cost, since I didn't get the bill for my Paris Visite.

One thing you learn is that the "french bread" you usually find in the states is shit. I never thought a basic breakfast of baguette, croissant, and some gouda cheese could be so good.

To expand on what jinx already said... if you come in the winter you have the advantage of being able to wear a coat with removable insulation. This is good because the coat itself may have a pocket hidden behind the insulation when worn, which is impossible to have things stolen from it unless you get attacked and stripped of your clothes. ;)

-EDIT-
OH! If you ever plan on drinking just water, do yourself a favor and find a market to buy bottled water from. Some places will scam you with 3 Euro for a 500ml bottle.

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
Take a boat over Seine in the late evening,awesome.

Also there are extremely good french Hot dogs near the Eifel Tower(there is a little house) direct near the bridge in front Eifel Tower,best hot dogs i ever had,seriously.

And watch out for people to try to rip you off,try not to look clueless and lost.

Leon

I'd be the first to encourage someone to visit France, but if you're alone, AND hesitating already, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to advise you not to go...

Paris is gorgeous. But the experience would be 100 times better if you go with a friend/a group of friends. Sure, sitting in a nearby cafe for lunch the first time alone will be fun. But by the 5th time, you'd be hoping you had someone else with you to share your day with.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
If you go, make sure you tell the people at customs you are seeking asylum, then you get a free trip to the UK via a freight train.

GO!

I was in Paris a day and a half. Very beautiful place and romantic with lots of things to do(make sure you ask people you meet, or people on the street or a guide book on what to see...there's a lot). Wanna take the metro most places, especially long distant in the city.

The women are hot. They all, or at least 50 % of them where white tank tops...some with no bras. =)

The city is beautiful and very romantic...kinda sucks if you're there alone...then again you can ask some stranger on the street(preferably a hot female) if she'll show you around...never know what could happen. =)

I didn't see too much of Paris when I was there...Notre Dame, Champs Elysesse, Eiffer Tower and wondered around some various streets and whatnot. You should definitely check it out...stay at a hostel and make some friends or just talk to people on the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom