• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is neat... and incredibly stupid... and mind blowing? - A way to play on-line Coop games in VR

rofif

Banned
I never gave much attention to co-op gaming before, since I don't like multiplayer gaming in general but we started playing some couch split-screen local coop games last year.
Mainly on 360 because there are some great couch co-op games. We finished all Gears games, EDF games (some on pc, some on ps4, 2017 on 360 ofc), games like Broforce, Chaosbane, Lost Planet 2 and RE5,6.
What I am trying to say, is that 2 idiots over 30 years old started playing a lot of co-op games and it's a great fun.
Now - we were limiting ourselves to local split screen since it's nice to talk, eat, drink and joke around.

We kinda ran out of couch games to play locally and unfortunately Halo games on pc do not have local coop but these do have On-Line co-op.... and we both have vr headsets... This kinda means that You can play ANY ON-LINE co-op games in vr, sitting in one vr cinema, seeing each other, talking to each other, seeing both screens and throwing tomatoes.
It is incredibly stupid but it's mind blowing and works perfectly.

Here are some screens from Saint's Row 4 session today. If You prefer to play on cinema screen, no problem. I like to play on smaller screen but I look up and I see what my friend is doing in game. If I want to point out something happening on my end, he can just look at my screen.
So we are playing game about VR, in VR cinema, in VR googles... This is the worst and the best thing at the same time.
Keep in mind that those shots are taken with a vr selfie stick. Every player is seeing game from his own perspective.
y5gwdWE.png

GXO9zoF.png

aw39CO8.png

I understand this is probably nothing new but I feel like a genius thinking up this stupidity lol.

Last edited:

Karak

Ya we have been doing it since the systems and software came out and allowed it. its fun. Stupid and janky as FUUUCK at times. But also stupidly future feeling

Other things amazing to do are listen to podcast in Elite, use OVRtools to watch shows in long drives in VR games, all kinds of random things allow for you to take advantage of the full 360 world

Last edited:

Bluecondor

I see your point OP!

Right now - the idea of co-op play with each player in different parts of the game world is pretty bare bones and janky, etc. But - in a more advanced approach to this, there could be some really interesting gameplay mechanisms if you and another player are completing meaningful tasks in different parts of the world.

This would be really interesting in a VR version of something like a GTA Online Heist, in which you and another player each had to do a sequence of interesting steps to pull off a mission. Inevitably - one or more of these steps would break down and (hopefully) you would have to make adjustments on the fly to keep the mission going (or die/fail trying). This would be really interesting in PvP situations, with both teams doing this.

D.Final

Banned
I see your point OP!

Right now - the idea of co-op play with each player in different parts of the game world is pretty bare bones and janky, etc. But - in a more advanced approach to this, there could be some really interesting gameplay mechanisms if you and another player are completing meaningful tasks in different parts of the world.

This would be really interesting in a VR version of something like a GTA Online Heist, in which you and another player each had to do a sequence of interesting steps to pull off a mission. Inevitably - one or more of these steps would break down and (hopefully) you would have to make adjustments on the fly to keep the mission going (or die/fail trying). This would be really interesting in PvP situations, with both teams doing this.

I agree

Top Bottom