• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is why you're fat and lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiktor

Yes, yes blame the foods you take instead of a personal lack of initiative to get fit. Having an enemy that can be easily blamed / painted as an evil is easier to do than create a meaningful lifestyle that remove your bulky figure and minimize your procrastination habits.

This logic fall apart when addiction comes into play and it does in case of food.

I consume HFCS in almost everything I eat and drink, and I'm pretty fit and feel great (6'2", 157lbs,). Just got done with a sugary soft drink after eating a peanut butter sandwich on white bread.
Granted, I ran a mile this morning, did 30 pullups, and will be push mowing my lawn this evening. Tomorrow, I'll be going on a 10 mile bike ride and doing yard work all day.

I don't doubt that Fructose isn't the best for you, but just like any other "bad" foods, you can rise above it if you use moderation and work hard. I don't eat and drink just for sustenance, I like to actually enjoy it. HFCS tastes good.

I started reading ingredient lists a months ago and Jesus fuck, the thing is in EVERYTHING, sometimes they try to hide it by calling it other names, but if you do a quick Google search , you will realize its HFCS, its almost impossible to avoid it in package products.

Some things that surprised me had Corn Syrup.

Jar of Pickles (WHY?)
BBQ Sauces
Expensive Healthy cereals like "Kashi"
Doritos and any other chips (why, these are salty), only chips I have found to not have any sugar are dehydrated peas.

Sesha

I could live on nothing but juice, soda, pasta, potatoes and McDs for a whole month while spending most of each day motionless and I still wouldn't gain a single kilo.

fuck-you-science.gif

entremet

So we should eat a balanced diet with reasonably sized portions and exercise?

Correct, but this is an oversimplification.

For example, your great grandmother probably didn't go to the gym or controlled her portions, yet she was mostly likely at a healthy weight.

Why?

Various environmental factors.

--Lack of fast food and convenience foods.
--More active lifestyle.
--More home cooked food.

Fast and convenience foods aren't just higher in calories, they drive hunger and appetite.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/18/books/salt-sugar-fat-by-michael-moss.html?_r=0

Modern work is very sedentary. Most of us sit in front of computers all day, with very little day to day movement. That lack of movement leads to fewer calories being burned.

The fitness and gym industry are relatively nascent, yet our great grandparents remained slim without them. Mostly due to the fact they had more day to day activity than we did.

And regarding home cooked meals. It's not that home cooked meals are special. It's usually that they're not prepared with all the added chemicals that drive appetite, which is found in processed food.

If you eat a balanced meal of chicken, rice and beans, with a salad, you'd be way more satiated compared to two slices of pizza.

So, in summary, highly addictive foods that drive appetite and overconsumption of calories litter our food landscape, less ambient physical activity thanks to technology, and less preparation of home cooked meals and that's the recipe for obesity.

So today, most people need to be very proactive to avoid getting fat. This was never the case in previous generations. It was relatively easy to remain slim.

We've created a terrible environment for maintaining healthy weights.

Kinokou

I could live on nothing but juice, soda, pasta, potatoes and McDs for a whole month while spending most of each day motionless and I still wouldn't gain a single kilo.

fuck-you-science.gif

IIRC science has something to say about that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAQr77QMJiw

The documentary begins by mentioning a similar experiment done on Vermont prison inmates in 1967. The inmates were grossly overfed with the purpose of studying the hormonal changes that happen when a person becomes obese. The prisoners who signed up were promised an earlier release.

Each inmate was supposed to increase their body weight by 25 percent. However, as the experiment progressed, it turned out that no matter how high the energy intake got, some of the inmates could not reach their targets. Despite eating and eating, they just didn't gain enough weight. One of them could not increase his body weight more than 18%, even though his daily calorie intake reached a whopping 10,000 kcal.

Also, gut bacteria can have an impact on weight, http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...186da2-488b-11e3-a196-3544a03c2351_story.html

I agree with the article tho

Sweet stuff other than fruit is in high abundance and gets you loaded to make you eat more

Brain gets over excited

Its a drug!

Surprise, lots of sugar isn't good for you. I think the thread title is clickbait, however. And I think for the most part, obesity and laziness are choices. Always exceptions to the rule, of course.

Seanspeed

Banned
I wish junk food wasn't so cheap compared to various fruits, vegetables, and meats.

Also fast food.

When someone is struggling to make it by paying rent, car, insurance, utilities, you can really only afford the not so healthy stuff. What are people supposed to do? Eat good and not have a home or car which is important to get them to work? Or not have any heating and freeze to death in the winter? I mean, unless you're well off or have a family/support system you're fucked.
Just don't eat a lot in general. You can eat 'unhealthy' and still be healthy. Much of it comes down to moderating overall calories and maintaining a healthy weight. You can also exercise to increase energy levels, your metabolism and improve heart/circulatory health.

There are millions and millions of people not well off that aren't fat. It's certainly easy to fall into bad habits and gain weight when you're restricted in what you can afford to buy, but it's not some impossible situation like you're painting it. Overeating is still the #1 problem when it comes down to it.

Yes, yes blame the foods you take instead of a personal lack of initiative to get fit. Having an enemy that can be easily blamed / painted as an evil is easier to do than create a meaningful lifestyle that remove your bulky figure and minimize your procrastination habits.

I used to have this mentality. I ran cross country all the way from middle school through undergrad, ate well, and was super fit. I took absolutely no pity on people who I thought were full of excuses because, at the bottom of it, I just thought they were lazy and had weak willpower.

Over the years, as I've learned a lot more about nutrition, fitness, and the food industry, I've realized that it's a much more complicated situation. I'd recommend watching Fed Up, a documentary that brings up a lot of good points about HFCS, processed foods, the obesity epidemic, and how it's all tied in with politics and insane amounts of $$$ pumped into food industry marketing. It's streaming on Netflix.

cDNA

The study is about fructose, High Fructose Corn Syrup is not really that high in content of Fructose compared with Sucrose.

Surprise, lots of sugar isn't good for you. I think the thread title is clickbait, however. And I think for the most part, obesity and laziness are choices. Always exceptions to the rule, of course.

See but this argument is flawed because it ties everything down to motivation, which is not some magical "you have it or you don't".

You can always muscle through some weight loss if you've got that fire in your eyes, but the question becomes, how do you put that fire in a persons eyes? This study is claiming that the increased consumption of Fructose is actively making people more lazy. Which is hitting people on a neurological level.

People talk about actively consuming food "in moderation" as if it was some sort of natural state for people to live in. If the foods you consuming are correct, you body should know when to stop, it should send the correct signals, at the correct times. Your body should consume calories on a needs basis, and it shouldn't be the other way around. My dog sleeps some 18 hours a day, constantly has food in his bowl, and ins't anywhere close to obese (not even slightly overweight). His activity level is pathetic, and so is his appetite. It's no surprise that when I take him on long walks or hikes, he devours food and water.

I don't want to drone on and on about a low carb diet, but when I eat fatty foods and fibrous vegetables, it's physically impossible for me to over eat. If I stuff myself past capacity, I don't get hungry for longer periods of time. One could argue that a calorie is a calorie all they want, and if you've got the effort and mindset to pull it off, I think you could lose weight on it. But I don't think the correct foods actively work against us, if you eat a diet that makes sense from the body's perspective, losing / maintaining weight can be effortless.

jmdajr

Carbs man. Give them up and you lose fat so fast.

It's not hard eating a bunch of bread, or rice, or pasta.You can just keep going and going.

But say try to eat a block a cheese or a 16oz steak. Nowhere near as easy.

RM8

Meh. My diet is unusually high in carbs and I'm borderline underweight. I'm also pretty sedentary - I want to change that, though. If reducing carbs is indeed helpful for people who can't control their portion sizes, then I guess it should be recommended, but that doesn't mean carbs automatically make you fat. Again, look at Asia (or even France IIRC) and their carb-heavy diets.

See but this argument is flawed because it ties everything down to motivation, which is not some magical "you have it or you don't".

You can always muscle through some weight loss if you've got that fire in your eyes, but the question becomes, how do you put that fire in a persons eyes? This study is claiming that the increased consumption of Fructose is actively making people more lazy. Which is hitting people on a neurological level.

People talk about actively consuming food "in moderation" as if it was some sort of natural state for people to live in. If the foods you consuming are correct, you body should know when to stop, it should send the correct signals, at the correct times. Your body should consume calories on a needs basis, and it shouldn't be the other way around. My dog sleeps some 18 hours a day, constantly has food in his bowl, and ins't anywhere close to obese (not even slightly overweight). His activity level is pathetic, and so is his appetite. It's no surprise that when I take him on long walks or hikes, he devours food and water.

I don't want to drone on and on about a low carb diet, but when I eat fatty foods and fibrous vegetables, it's physically impossible for me to over eat. If I stuff myself past capacity, I don't get hungry for longer periods of time. One could argue that a calorie is a calorie all they want, and if you've got the effort and mindset to pull it off, I think you could lose weight on it. But I don't think the correct foods actively work against us, if you eat a diet that makes sense from the body's perspective, losing / maintaining weight can be effortless.

There's little debate about too much sugar being bad for you to be had, so I'm with you there. That said, weight loss still comes down to calories in v. calories out. You're lazy, you're moving less, that's less calories out.

It's also worth highlighting that lower weight =/= fitness/health. If you want to get thin, you can do that eating twinkies. Just eat less of them calorie-wise, and don't bother exercising. You could likely get lots of your calories from alcohol too, but after a few years your liver is dead and probably taking you with it.

A good diet will make weight loss/maintenance easy, and eating lots of sugar laden foods actively works against it, no debate. My issue with this isn't that fructose is worse than glucose or whatever...I'll eat a pear every now and again to get a little boost for a workout and I feel a difference. It's saying things like "this is why you're fat and lazy." Fructose ain't why you're fat and lazy. Fat and lazy can come from lots of things, a specific type of sugar being just one of them.

Meh. My diet is unusually high in carbs and I'm borderline underweight. I'm also pretty sedentary - I want to change that, though. If reducing carbs is indeed helpful for people who can't control their portion sizes, then I guess it should be recommended, but that doesn't mean carbs automatically make you fat. Again, look at Asia (or even France IIRC) and their carb-heavy diets.

Absolutely, some people are simply better at breaking them down, and knowing what helps those people break them I think is a good question.

I use this as anecdotal evidence that I can't paint much of a picture with. My roomates and I used to go down to jack n the box almost daily, now I've been naturally lean all my life, at my heaviest I was 20 pounds overweight, so we'd all order a milkshake, and I would get a sugar rush from the shake, my friends (who are significantly heavier than I), would feel lethargic.

What is it in my body that's able to turn a milkshake into energy, versus energy deficit in my friends? What levels of insulin resistance are at play? What are the differences in our ability to process the foods? Gut bacteria? Hormones? Genetics?

There's so much to the foods we eat, and calling obese people lazy is a cop out. What if the foods they eat make them lazy and give the lean energy? What can we do to make it give the obese energy?

There's little debate about too much sugar being bad for you to be had, so I'm with you there. That said, weight loss still comes down to calories in v. calories out. You're lazy, you're moving less, that's less calories out.

It's also worth highlighting that lower weight =/= fitness/health. If you want to get thin, you can do that eating twinkies. Just eat less of them calorie-wise, and don't bother exercising. You could likely get lots of your calories from alcohol too, but after a few years your liver is dead and probably taking you with it.

A good diet will make weight loss/maintenance easy, and eating lots of sugar laden foods actively works against it, no debate. My issue with this isn't that fructose is worse than glucose or whatever...I'll eat a pear every now and again to get a little boost for a workout and I feel a difference. It's saying things like "this is why you're fat and lazy." Fructose ain't why you're fat and lazy. Fat and lazy can come from lots of things, a specific type of sugar being just one of them.

Well said. I personally think fruit is mostly harmless because of the fiber, but again I think there's probably a lot more to it lol.

I used to have this mentality. I ran cross country all the way from middle school through undergrad, ate well, and was super fit. I took absolutely no pity on people who I thought were full of excuses because, at the bottom of it, I just thought they were lazy and had weak willpower.

Over the years, as I've learned a lot more about nutrition, fitness, and the food industry, I've realized that it's a much more complicated situation. I'd recommend watching Fed Up, a documentary that brings up a lot of good points about HFCS, processed foods, the obesity epidemic, and how it's all tied in with politics and insane amounts of $$$ pumped into food industry marketing. It's streaming on Netflix.
I'm far from being a conspiracy theorist but there has to be something going on here. I spent seven years overseas, I come back and all I see are absolutely huge portions of unhealthy food everywhere. The worst part is how every drink is sweet. It's like someone decided Americans should never learn that a drink that is not sweetened, artificially or not, can taste good. Only bottled water isn't sweetened except, you know, when it is. A whole food culture that can do nothing but make people fat.

Well said. I personally think fruit is mostly harmless because of the fiber, but again I think there's probably a lot more to it lol.

There's always more to it, but it's easy to not see the forest (health/fitness/good BMI or something) for the trees (fructose or carbs, as examples). It's important to be mindful of what you eat, how much, and when (in some cases). I lost most of my weight when I cut out anywhere between 80 - 90% of processed food and went simple with eating. Meat, veggies, a couple of grapes and a diet coke every now and again. And it must be noted that most of what I wasn't eating was carb and fat heavy.

Still, it came down to a choice that I made. Cut the crap (sugary, processed foods), eat less than my TDEE. All the crap came out to a ton of calories.

I dunno, I just get worried when I see lines like "this is why". Borders on "one weird trick" to me.

There's always more to it, but it's easy to not see the forest (health/fitness/good BMI or something) for the trees (fructose or carbs, as examples). It's important to be mindful of what you eat, how much, and when (in some cases). I lost most of my weight when I cut out anywhere between 80 - 90% of processed food and went simple with eating. Meat, veggies, a couple of grapes and a diet coke every now and again. And it must be noted that most of what I wasn't eating was carb and fat heavy.

Still, it came down to a choice that I made. Cut the crap (sugary, processed foods), eat less than my TDEE. All the crap came out to a ton of calories.

I dunno, I just get worried when I see lines like "this is why". Borders on "one weird trick" to me.

Definitely, I just think the article itself is trying to raise an interesting point of what effects fructose seems to have on our brain. Now like you said, being mindful of it is one thing, but when you take a look at how much fructose is being pumped into all of our products out here, it gets increasingly difficult for the masses to actually be mindful of it. Anything that's helping paint light of it is a win in my book.

graffix13

I'd recommend watching Fed Up, a documentary that brings up a lot of good points about HFCS, processed foods, the obesity epidemic, and how it's all tied in with politics and insane amounts of $$$ pumped into food industry marketing. It's streaming on Netflix.

YES. Watched this last week and it's very informative and eye opening.

There is so much $$$ to be made with sugar in these processed foods (not to mention the lobby they have in Washington).

Other industries benefit from the direct effects of high sugar diets as well, mainly the health industry (Doctor's, Dentists, Pharmaceutical, etc).

Educate yourself and stop eating this crap!

eot

Banned
I can't think of a single thing I eat regularly that contains this crap, so I guess I'm good.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If you eat a balanced meal of chicken, rice and beans, with a salad, you'd be way more satiated compared to two slices of pizza.
Uhh? Not in my case. Most of my evening meals are closer to the former than the latter. But when we do make pizza (we make it, but buy pre-made dough and sauce, so it's not really homemade but not frozen or take-out or anything either), I can rarely eat more than one slice unless I'm really starving. Pizza fills me up insanely fast, but after eating a chicken breast + some rice + veggies I often still feel a bit hungry. Luckily, I'm not fat and I have a really fast metabolism, so I can afford to add a small dessert like some ice cream or whatnot, but yeah, that hasn't been my experience at all. Same thing with burgers (even our homemade ones), they fill me up really fast.

Maybe it's because it's not from fast food restaurants, though. I rarely eat that kind of fast food, so I haven't noticed if they left me hungry, but from memory I still think it's the opposite. I feel full and even a bit bloated after eating meals that include French Fries, for instance.

Definitely, I just think the article itself is trying to raise an interesting point of what effects fructose seems to have on our brain. Now like you said, being mindful of it is one thing, but when you take a look at how much fructose is being pumped into all of our products out here, it gets increasingly difficult for the masses to actually be mindful of it. Anything that's helping paint light of it is a win in my book.

On that I'd agree. Awareness is one of the keys to successful and healthy eating. RTFL, and know what the ingredients actually are.

entremet

Uhh? Not in my case. Most of my evening meals are closer to the former than the latter. But when we do make pizza (we make it, but buy pre-made dough and sauce, so it's not really homemade but not frozen or take-out or anything either), I can rarely eat more than one slice unless I'm really starving. Pizza fills me up insanely fast, but after eating a chicken breast + some rice + veggies I often still feel a bit hungry. Luckily, I'm not fat and I have a really fast metabolism, so I can afford to add a small dessert like some ice cream or whatnot, but yeah, that hasn't been my experience at all. Same thing with burgers (even our homemade ones), they fill me up really fast.

Maybe it's because it's not from fast food restaurants, though. I rarely eat that kind of fast food, so I haven't noticed if they left me hungry, but from memory I still think it's the opposite. I feel full and even a bit bloated after eating meals that include French Fries, for instance.

I'm talking about generalities.

Your pizza is also homemade. That's a huge difference. I have no idea what recipe you're using, if you put any vegetables, they type of flour you're using, what meats if any you're putting on it.

But fast food pizza is engineered to not satiate.

Plus if I were to compare each meal calorie per calorie, in the case of fast food pizza, it would not be close.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm talking about generalities.

Your pizza is also homemade. That's a huge difference. I have no idea what recipe you're using, if you put any vegetables, they type of flour you're using, what meats if any you're putting on it.
I said in my post that it's not 100% homemade, that we buy pre-made dough and pre-made sauce. We add pre-sliced pepperoni too, and I usually put mushrooms though not always (and very occasionally bell peppers). So you're right that it's probably still slightly healthier than fast food or restaurant pizza (somehow pizzas we used to order would be so goddamn greasy, with oil puddles forming on the cheese lol), and personally I find that it tastes a shitton better too, but it's not really "homemade" per se.

Still, on the rare occasions I eat pizza in restaurants, fast food or otherwise, I get filled up pretty quickly. I don't know where this idea is coming from that it's "engineered not to satiate". Maybe my stomach is weird. :p

entremet

I said in my post that it's not 100% homemade, that we buy pre-made dough and pre-made sauce. We add pre-sliced pepperoni too, and I usually put mushrooms though not always (and very occasionally bell peppers). So you're right that it's probably still slightly healthier than fast food or restaurant pizza (somehow pizzas we used to order would be so goddamn greasy, with oil puddles forming on the cheese lol) but it's not really "homemade" either.

Still, on the rare occasions I eat pizza in restaurants, fast food or otherwise, I get filled up pretty quickly. I don't know where this idea is coming from that it's "engineered not to satiate". Maybe my stomach is weird. :p

I posted this above:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/18/books/salt-sugar-fat-by-michael-moss.html

It explains that how food was engineered to be addictive and short circuit our hunger receptors.

Let's just say you may be an outlier. I can eat a whole pie of pizza with ease.

When I first moved to the United States, I started getting heartburn for the first time in my life. Furious, raging heartburn. Quitting HFCS made it disappear almost overnight.

I have a quick question for anyone willing to answer.

This was a test between fructose (high fructose corn syrup) and glucose (the mandatory blood sugar). How can anyone expect any kind of different result?

Glucose is directly responsible for our energy supply, while fructose isn't. They are different chemical formulas. Isn't it blatantly obvious that the chemical directly responsible for energy in most of biology would produce more energy and activity than one that doesn't?

Greddleok

I have a quick question for anyone willing to answer.

This was a test between fructose (high fructose corn syrup) and glucose (the mandatory blood sugar). How can anyone expect any kind of different result?

Glucose is directly responsible for our energy supply, while fructose isn't. They are different chemical formulas. Isn't it blatantly obvious that the chemical directly responsible for energy in most of biology would produce more energy and activity than one that doesn't?

Fructose is also used directly in metabolism. Just starts at a different point in the pathway.

f8.bmp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom