• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This might be sacrilicious, but I don't really like chicken. Help me change this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's because it's a lean meat, and I like my meat fatty. That's why the only poultry I really like is duck. But chicken and turkey just aren't that flavorful to me. Plus, if you want to make chicken taste good, you have to season it and do a decent amount to it. Think about it. If you cook a steak correctly, you don't need to add anything to it. It's delicious the way it is. You can't do that with chicken. That's because it's naturally very plain.

The only times I've kind of liked chicken, is when it was either deep fried, or heavily seasoned. But pretty much anything deep fried is going to taste good because you're smothering it in bread and frying it in fat. The seasoned chicken I liked was the chicken 65 I got at an Indian food restaurant. I looked up the recipe for it, and there's a shit ton of stuff that goes in it. It seems kind of hard to make. I can cook all right because I can follow directions. I just don't like to cook because it sucks.

Any ideas on how I should go about cooking chicken so I can at least like it?

andthebeatgoeson

220px-Chick-fil-A_Logo.svg.png

ironcreed

Banned
Get some flour and mix it in a bowl with this

14512332_201308161312.jpg

Now oil a pan with some Pam or your favorite cooking oil and pre-heat the oven to 425.

Roll your chicken breasts trimmed or fatty in your flour mix and line it in the pan on top of foil for easy clean up( be sure to oil or spray the foil as well). Cook until golden brown and enjoy.

Oh, and be be sure to use some spray butter when it is halfway done. Helps with the finish.

atr0cious

Just brine your chicken, all the best do it. Just put your uncooked pieces in a ziploc bag with your choice of seasoning plus 2 cups of water and half a cup of any vinegar. Let sit for at least 2 hours, then never have bland chicken again. Marinades are a farce.

Steel

Banned
Try using Honey nut cheerios or cap'n crunch crushed unevenly with a mortar and pestle as breading for some fried chicken tenders. Tastes awesome. If that doesn't make you a chicken fan, nothing will.

Just brine your chicken, all the best do it. Just put your uncooked pieces in a ziploc bag with your choice of seasoning plus 2 cups of water and half a cup of any vinegar. Let sit for at least 2 hours, then never have bland chicken again. Marinades are a farce.
That sounds good. Part of the reason why I haven't liked chicken in the past has to do with it being too dry. Brining would certainly get rid of that.

I mean...I don't even know what to say.
Less fat equals less flavor. Chicken is low in fat, so you do the math.

atr0cious

That sounds good. Part of the reason why I haven't liked chicken in the past has to do with it being too dry. Brining would certainly get rid of that.

Less fat equals less flavor. Chicken is low in fat, so you do the math.
Chicken tastes like sponge to me without any in depth flavor. Brines usually call for salt, but I stopped cooking with salt years ago, so vinegar is a great substitute. The plus to that is that you can use the different flavors for whatever meat: white wine, chicken, apple cider, pork.

Zaptruder

Banned
Get a sous vide machine, and cook chicken (and other meats) with temperature controlled water bath in zip-locs to maintain moisture and prevent the meat proteins from shrinking and shedding water.

Also, use needles with brine to inject into the meat to add extra flavour and juiciness.

Embrace modernist cooking techniques, because goddamn do they work well.

You can then finish off the juicy chicken by frying, searing, etc.

I think once you've tried this, you'll see that... when meats, including chicken are prepared properly, they're goddamn amazing in a way that you haven't realized before!

ThisGuy

*Sacrilicious.
Lol, perfect.

Well I don't know what to say in the way of eating plain chicken. It's not something I typically try to do. I even season the chicken thighs I use when I make chicken noodle soup.

But for flavor go for dark meat. Buy some chicken thighs, a good BBQ sauce, and grill over charcoal for about an hour. It's a great run of the mill dinner for me.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I got food poisoning as a child from undercooked chicken at school and I've never had it since, at this point I just don't care enough to give it another chance. I'm happy with beef and pork.

Mistake

Just fry some up with barbecue or teriyaki. Or cut into it and let it marinade for a bit. I used to think the same about turkey, but then my friend raised one and killed it for thanksgiving, now it's hard to go back. Tasted amazing. I'll be raising my own poultry in the future.

I'm a big fan of chicken in general, but in terms of fried chicken this place single-handedly turned me onto the idea. Granted its only available in a certain area.
logo_raising_cane.png

I'd say to keep looking for recipes until you find something relatively easy to make which tastes good.
Or you can cook it with peanut oil.

I'm a big fan of chicken in general, but in terms of fried chicken this place single-handedly turned me onto the idea. Granted its only available in a certain area.
logo_raising_cane.png

I'd say to keep looking for recipes until you find something relatively easy to make which tastes good.

One of these just opened right across the street from my local Chik Fil A. It'll be interesting to see if RC steals half of CFA's customers or if it's more a rising tides situation.

Eating an entire rotisserie chicken by yourself is one of life's great pleasures. Pull that meat off the bone and stick it straight in your mouth until there's nothing but a bare carcass in front of you.

One of these just opened right across the street from my local Chik Fil A. It'll be interesting to see if RC steals half of CFA's customers or if it's more a rising tides situation.

I'd have a hard time picking between the two at this point. I feel like if RC markets its "exclusivity" factor well they might pull ahead. Taste-wise it should be close though.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Chicken really isn't that amazing on it's own, you need a good recipe to work with.

Sky Chief

Dark meat is the way to go. It has much more flavor and is much more juicy. White meat is bland, dry, and flavorless. The US is the only country on earth that eats more white meat chicken than dark meat.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
If you say you don't like chicken then I am assuming you have made an effort to try different chicken dishes and found them not to your liking. The same way I say I don't like fish because I have tried multiple kinds of fish cooked many different ways and over the years come to the conclusions that I dislike fish.
So no, we can't help you change your mind unless you are in fact making a statement that is entirely bullshit and you have never given chicken a chance before declaring your hatred for it.
Go eat some more duck.

Wingstop's Cajun wings. If this doesn't fix your chicken disability, nothing will.

img_1982.jpg

And I read what you said about fried chicken but C'MOOON.

I think it's because it's a lean meat, and I like my meat fatty. That's why the only poultry I really like is duck. But chicken and turkey just aren't that flavorful to me. Plus, if you want to make chicken taste good, you have to season it and do a decent amount to it. Think about it. If you cook a steak correctly, you don't need to add anything to it. It's delicious the way it is. You can't do that with chicken. That's because it's naturally very plain.

The only times I've kind of liked chicken, is when it was either deep fried, or heavily seasoned. But pretty much anything deep fried is going to taste good because you're smothering it in bread and frying it in fat. The seasoned chicken I liked was the chicken 65 I got at an Indian food restaurant. I looked up the recipe for it, and there's a shit ton of stuff that goes in it. It seems kind of hard to make. I can cook all right because I can follow directions. I just don't like to cook because it sucks.

Any ideas on how I should go about cooking chicken so I can at least like it?

That's the reason people like it. They have a lighter flavor, which makes them versatile in many dishes. I would never call well (salt, pepper, garlic) seasoned chicken with skin on, plain.

daveo42

Banned
Start with dark meat from the thigh, the best part of the chicken. White meat is drastically overrated and is almost always too dry unless properly prepared or deep fried or covered in some sort of sauce.

logo_raising_cane.png

Raising Canes is pretty awesome, but what makes their chicken is their sauce. The strips themselves are okay, but not the best I've ever had. Def better deep fried chicken out there.

Joni

If chicken was meant to be good, it wouldn't taste like chicken. On the other hand, with apple sauce, fries and a bit of skin it tastes very well, but it is really dependent on the sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom