• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This MS Flight Sim preview really sells me on the game

Pidull

Mind-blowing to look at, I saw this today as well and looked to see what the release date would be for consoles...

I bit bummed to learn it's only going on PC in the near future. Not even really sure if this will see the light of day on Xbox One. I was under the impression from the 2019 reveal that it would be on the Xbox One X.

MastAndo

I'm awestruck by this game right now and have watched basically every video I can find on it, though I'm almost certain what will happen - the novelty will wear off pretty quickly after I visit all the spots I have in my head, and realize any level of sim play isn't for me. Fortunately, Game Pass is perfect for that.

Freeman

Banned
I don't think the best way to show off this game is to get too close to the ground, at that point you start seeing all the imperfections.

Other than that, it's a looker, specially at night.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Reminds me of Dreams in that it's an amazing showcase that I know I would find no enjoyment in playing.

Speechless at that level of real time data and then extensive widgets for customisations, I'm flying into this one on Aug 16th, thanks again Game Pass. During a time of no international travel and stage 4 restrictions where I live this is a welcomed breath of escapism and exploration. A solid video in the OP to for really getting the feel of a basic introduction of flying and what to expect "game" wise as it's really more of a simulation than a game.

I'm keen to see how multiplayer works e.g. fly with a buddy to some crazy ass location you set a random then ratchet up a storm on them or something. There are some older MS Flight videos out there where a guy runs an airport tower controller roleplay and all the coming and going players are pretty hilarious. A complete mix of some wanting strict real world conditions and rules and others just want to buzz the tower and ignore the rules.

I really want to see a spin off game of "real world" jet fighter base and naval battles in this world as well as classic WWII sims etc. MS and the developers could really extend this from a wonderfully executed sim to some intense real world based games and even fantasy versions based on real systems/locations.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I think I’ll find a good relaxing soundtrack to listen to while I play this game. Really looking forward to it

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Reminds me of Dreams in that it's an amazing showcase that I know I would find no enjoyment in playing.
I mean Dreams has games from other people, I enjoying going through the list and finding something unique. I find Dreams highly enjoyable. Just saying.

And since I have pilot licence for small plane I am all over this thing.

MastAndo

I think I’ll find a good relaxing soundtrack to listen to while I play this game. Really looking forward to it
Same. I never played a Flight Simulator game - is there any sort of in-game integration for something like (I get it's not very sim-like), or do you have to stream your own music in the background?

Stuart360

I don't think the best way to show off this game is to get too close to the ground, at that point you start seeing all the imperfections.

Other than that, it's a looker, specially at night.
There are loads of vids that show the ground is super detailed (like DF vid they did). The problem is it comes down to internet speed. If you do a freefall from 30,000 feet, to the ground, with bad internet, it will probably look like Google Earth for a few seconds until everything loads in.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yeah, I get it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, for instance, can a next generation GTA game look this good on consoles or am I dreaming ?

Different games, different rules.. MSFS2020 is focused on getting the entire Earth looking good while flying and has a lot of really cool tech in its wake to make that happen. Since this is a flight sim naturally it won't always look as high fidelity at random ground level as some other games. So I think a NG GTA certainly could look as good as this, but most likely not in flight. Also remember this is a service type game/sim, it will be continuously improved and upgraded, even with new tech upgrades for many years to come. Next up this year is VR.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
This thing badly needs a Lite option that utilizes high resolution tiled textures and generic assets instead of these real world streamed megatextures. I'd rather have my internet connection available/used on other things while flying even if that means I get lesser visuals (in texture variety rather than quality/models/effects). Doom Eternal had the right idea to swap the megatextures for standard techniques, it didn't really seem to lack in texture variety because of it and their quality was way better than megatextures could achieve (yes I know it's not the same engine/technology here).

Basically, find a way for the game to look great even without (great?) internet. Not have it look like google earth until it streams in the real assets with constant pop in, but with nice generic assets. It can use real satelite data to decide where to place each of the generic assets or something, just not have that specific region's grass and mountain and rural, town, city textures in place of some that will be used regardless of where in the world you are. Like the difference between the generic and the big and famous custom airports, where the former look good, just not like the real deal.

Additionally (not for me but yeah), won't all that streaming just kill console SSDs faster (compared to more reliability/longevity based PC SSD models), swapping in and out that much data? Or is that done just on reserved ram or something (I assumed it would save parts of them temporarily on SSD for reuse)? If the latter then I guess SSD speed isn't the be all anyway. Plus it seems like your internet connection quality is more important in this case regardless, few (probably none actually?) have a connection that can match the kind of data rate we're talking about here as far as I know.

What do those 10 DVDs of the physical edition even install if the game relies on streaming content that much? Maybe at least just let me preinstall specific small regions, like a single country for ~200GB, that I will be willingly restricted to, in order to do away with the need for high speed net.

Anyway, outside the quality of the simulation I feel the best feature of past titles in the series was the early tutorials and lessons. I hope they've expanded that beyond the basics and for all kinds of planes and goals, like flying commercial or cargo or military (not combat) flights etc.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

This and Half Life Alyx are probably the two most "next gen" games i've seen so far. Mainly because they're using new tech to their favor and developing on top of it, rather than simply further polishing older things.

This thing badly needs a Lite option that utilizes high resolution tiled textures and generic assets instead of these real world streamed megatextures.
There is an offline mode with generic assets from what they said

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
This and Half Life Alyx are probably the two most "next gen" games i've seen so far. Mainly because they're using new tech to their favor and developing on top of it, rather than simply further polishing older things.

There is an offline mode with generic assets from what they said
Any pix of how that looks? Tbh even the streamed city at the start of the video (which unlike NY didn't use photgrammetry or whatever) looked quite off in spots, especially the ground textures, going lower than that graphical level wouldn't be great. Or was that exactly it?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Any pix of how that looks? Tbh even the streamed city at the start of the video (which unlike NY didn't use photgrammetry or whatever) looked quite off in spots, especially the ground textures, going lower than that graphical level wouldn't be great. Or was that exactly it?
Unfortunately no pics yet. Also, i believe you can pre-cache world scenarios, so if you have a problem with the streaming of assets you can use that instead.

Stuart360

You have to remember that a lot of the areas just use satelite data for their landscapes, in fact most of the world will be like that, with a certain amount of areas modeled by the devs, like New York for example. And that means at ground level, the textures will be only as good as the data they have. Most of the rural areas are high quality no matter what as they designed tree systems, and grass systems etc. Watch Digital Foundry's vid to see just how good the ground can look in some areas.
It is a flying game remember though, meant to be seen from the air, not ground level. Thats why certain parts have that Google Earth look when you get to ground level, while other ground level areas look super detailed. And as been said before, internet speed has a big impact on detail upclose.

Great Hair

Banned
Tom! Would you look at these majestic-graphicsu!
Can not wait to play ...Zzzzzzz

1,000h of 5FPS action 35,000feet above sea level, repetitive gameplay, boring story, weak plain characters with barely any emotion, weak ass antagonist, tad boring sound, too many cliffhanger with no cover mechanics, no reload function, no co-op but terrific visuals.

Metacritic Score 40%
;)

Watching this in 4K.

How the fuck does this game look like this ????

I'm seriously impressed. Yep I'm inclined to agree that this game is the most next gen thing I've seen so far.😱😱😱

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Tom! Would you look at these majestic-graphicsu!
Can not wait to play ...Zzzzzzz

1,000h of 5FPS action 35,000feet above sea level, repetitive gameplay, boring story, weak plain characters with barely any emotion, weak ass antagonist, tad boring sound, too many cliffhanger with no cover mechanics, no reload function, no co-op but terrific visuals.

Metacritic Score 40%
;)
retard

Danttte

Banned
Coming to game pass day one is absolutely bonkers, the game must have used a ridiculous development budget. It deserves to be marketed a lot more heavily than it is.

Freeman

Banned
There are loads of vids that show the ground is super detailed (like DF vid they did). The problem is it comes down to internet speed. If you do a freefall from 30,000 feet, to the ground, with bad internet, it will probably look like Google Earth for a few seconds until everything loads in.
Interesting, but even if close up you had google maps like artifacts like in this video it still doesn't matter that much since you usually wont get that close anyway.

AllyITA

Coming to game pass day one is absolutely bonkers, the game must have used a ridiculous development budget. It deserves to be marketed a lot more heavily than it is.
i find this kind of game PERFECT for game pass.
it is a simulation that people not into realistic sims know that they'll get bored after a little while; so, selling game pass subscriptions is better than NOT selling the game at 60$

i know i'll get bored after a couple of days, so using the game pass is perfect.

Top Bottom