• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of overlooked PC indie games recommendation

Forget-Me-Not was highly rated for ios

an updated PC/OSX version has been available for a while now for Free

Gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuYAf-LVXWU

DpeG2.jpg

Downloads here:
http://nyarlu.net/blog/videogames/forget-me-not/

Yeah Defender's quest is awesome. I'm broke until pay day this week but the demo was awesome!

Going to try and get in touch with that dev about translating it into Japanese. :D

Currently working on the Japanese translation for Dear Esther which is pretty awesome. :D

All I want is an iPhone/iPad port of Defender's Quest, or at least they need to get this shit on Steam and get it the massive exposure that it deserves. I'm running up on a good 10+ hours of play so far on it and have grown extremely attached to all of my characters. It really is the perfect merging of two genres.

A port of Defender's Quest for iPad would be pretty goddamn sweet.

Any idea what engine the game is built in? Since there is a in-browser demo I am guessing it's Flash?

Just want to thank theMrCravens for the code. Defender's Quest is probably the best tower defense game that I've played. At least a td with maps. I do like the ones where you make the path yourself a little better.

I like how each map has different challenges too.

Aucool

I'm really happy that all of you liked my reccomendation =)

Btw, someone has tryed lasercat?

edit: bought it, ill'tell you if is a good game or not

Alright, got Defender's Quest. Are there any news about The Iconoclasts? That game has the best graphics.

Edit: DQ is hands down the best tower defense game I have ever played. Has every single feature I've always missed in other games (telling the defenders what enemy type/status to focus!).

Yeah Defender's Quest is god-tier as far as tower defense games go.

I just saw a cute looking puzzle game on IndieDB that needs more attention!

Amps, Watts, and Circuits has a really endearing art style and the gameplay does look promising as well. I think a demo is coming this week if not next!

awc_lineup.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If the comic entertains me I'll buy this despite the lack of anything to sample it with... As thanks and for the novelty/curiosity.

Edit: or not, I thought it's a free/web comic I could read before deciding to buy the game but nope, it's a published thing, lol.

I may have mentioned this game in this thread before but it just released today so I felt it was worth another post!

J.U.L.I.A. is a really cool Adventure game. It has some really mind-bending puzzles and a very interesting story and setting. It is a very high quality game that hasn't gotten much attention! The price is a bit steep but it really does have quite a bit of content.

http://www.juliathegame.com/

shot03.jpg

shot002.jpg

Right now it is available on the greeman gaming and Adventure Game Shop

There is also a retail edition available in the UK!
box2.jpg

Grab "To the Moon". People weren't kidding when they said that the story was amazing for a video game.

Music is not bad, to boot.
to-the-moon-promo.png

Hint: Talk to the hat seller guy.

Second hint:
There's no actual sail on the island, but a map may come in handy... It's in the treasure chest behind him.

Solution:
Look for a hidden door just above the entrance to his shop.

:)

JoeMartin

Help me GAF, I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the not yet released isometric adventric game set on a space station or some such similar thing. I need to put it back on the radar.

Myriadis

The Stanley Parable

It's a Half-Life 2 mod, but you don't need HL2 to run it.
And it is one of the best experiences I ever had, a complete deconstruction of various gaming elements. I really can't tell anything about this game, but I can really tell that this was amazing. It takes around 15 minutes to see one ending.
There are six endings, depending what you do.

Lijik

Offspring Fling just came out on Steam the other day and I picked it up. Its really fun and charming with a Yoshi's Island esque graphical style
The game is a puzzle platformer where you need to get your babies to the stage exit. This typically involves throwing them across the level

Nh7QT.png

1szB0.jpg

I just played the demo (and wound up purchasing) a game called Gnomoria. It is similar to Dwarf Fortress, but with actual graphics and UI. I could never get past the the interface of DF, but was really interested in the gameplay (and the stories that came from it!), so this seems up my alley.

It is in Alpha right now, but there is a good amount of content and lots to do.

A few screens I stole from the dev's site (click for bigger):

Demo is free to play, and alpha is $8 and you get future updates.

Alexios

Black Sect Remake made with AGS is out now, for free. It's more like a remaster for modern OS I guess, no graphics overhaul etc from what I read (it looks lovely though). I don't know of the original so I don't have much to say, and that's why I didn't make a thread for it, I don't know how important of a release it is yet, I'll be playing this though.
BlackSectRemakeRuins2.png
BlackSectRemakeEchoChamber.png

The people of Issegeac believe that their good fortune depends on the spellbook that has been in their village for over nine centuries. When the keeper of the text, your grandfather, is killed and the Grimoire stolen, the villagers ask your help. Now it is your task to find the Black Sect's hideout and return the spellbook to Issegeac.

Lankhor's Black Sect is a great game. It has however a few features that where normal in 1993 but aren't so popular today. The game is timed, has dead ends, only 5 save slots, 20+ action icons, no smart cursor and you can die.

To make the game accessible to more players this remake features among other things:
- Timeflow based on player actions, so no dead ends
- Unlimited save slots (Well, I don't know that. More than 30 anyway)
- 2 action cursors
- Smart cursor that lights up over interactive areas
- Extra puzzles
- Changed puzzles to suit the new interface
- Updated hint system
- New sound and music

And kept from the original game:
- first person exploration
- Lankhor's art and animations (mostly)
- 31 locations to explore
- day and night cycle

shaowebb

I mentioned this in the Cave thread but this is a better place for this.

Eden's Aegis

QkBh0.jpg

Gameplay and the japanese site to download it

This thing is ridiculously good and its music is great. Plays like a dream and has a 60 fps mode. Slowdown can occur similar to Mushihimesama games in particularly intense stuff which is cool for setting up cash conversions of big points.

• You have two normal shots. Tap it to get a wider spread and hold it to narrow the spread and rapid fire. The Rapid Fire version slows you down.
  • Your enemies drop Gold and you have to pick it up to collect the points from it.
  • You have a "bomb"-like move in this game, but instead of killing everything it converts all the bullets on the screen into gold and makes the Gold home in on you so you auto collect it. When this move is used you also let loose a barrage of shots. You have to kill your enemies with these as the move itself doesn't destroy your enemies and it just converts their bullets.
  • The more you fire your shots the faster your meter fills up. When this meter is full you gain access to a special attack that depletes the meter. This attack launches additional shots alongside of your own that tend to home in on enemies they pass near. Kill an enemy with this shot and it will convert that enemy's bullets that are still on the screen into Gold and you will auto collect them. This acts like a mini version of the bomb but it only converts the bullets of who you kill.
  • You get 2 hits, 3bombs, and 2 lives. The first time you are hit it says "guard" and eliminates all bullets on the screen eliminating any chance to convert those shots into money after you recover. When you die all shots are cleared as well so that you cant simply respawn and drop a bomb to be rewarded for bad play. Each new life restores your two bombs.
  • There are 5 levels and each have sub bosses and really great music.
  • You can earn credits (continues), but I'm not certain at what point total they are awarded.
  • There are only 2 playable cast unless there are more to unlock and I've somehow not heard of it.
  • If you beat it on hell difficulty without losing any lives you get to face the true final boss.

More than a little Similar to Espgaluda from what the Cave fans tell me, but with that thing that generates bullet conversions like the bomb that is powered by meter usage that I mentioned.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
bah, ignore. Managed to reply instead of posting a new thread. Ah well, the other way round is more painful.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
I mentioned this in the Cave thread but this is a better place for this.

Eden's Aegis

QkBh0.jpg

Gameplay and the japanese site to download it

This thing is ridiculously good and its music is great. Plays like a dream and has a 60 fps mode. Slowdown can occur similar to Mushihimesama games in particularly intense stuff which is cool for setting up cash conversions of big points.

• You have two normal shots. Tap it to get a wider spread and hold it to narrow the spread and rapid fire. The Rapid Fire version slows you down.
  • Your enemies drop Gold and you have to pick it up to collect the points from it.
  • You have a "bomb"-like move in this game, but instead of killing everything it converts all the bullets on the screen into gold and makes the Gold home in on you so you auto collect it. When this move is used you also let loose a barrage of shots. You have to kill your enemies with these as the move itself doesn't destroy your enemies and it just converts their bullets.
  • The more you fire your shots the faster your meter fills up. When this meter is full you gain access to a special attack that depletes the meter. This attack launches additional shots alongside of your own that tend to home in on enemies they pass near. Kill an enemy with this shot and it will convert that enemy's bullets that are still on the screen into Gold and you will auto collect them. This acts like a mini version of the bomb but it only converts the bullets of who you kill.
  • You get 2 hits, 3bombs, and 2 lives. The first time you are hit it says "guard" and eliminates all bullets on the screen eliminating any chance to convert those shots into money after you recover. When you die all shots are cleared as well so that you cant simply respawn and drop a bomb to be rewarded for bad play. Each new life restores your two bombs.
  • There are 5 levels and each have sub bosses and really great music.
  • You can earn credits (continues), but I'm not certain at what point total they are awarded.
  • There are only 2 playable cast unless there are more to unlock and I've somehow not heard of it.
  • If you beat it on hell difficulty without losing any lives you get to face the true final boss.

More than a little Similar to Espgaluda from what the Cave fans tell me, but with that thing that generates bullet conversions like the bomb that is powered by meter usage that I mentioned.

Looks great . Thanks for the heads up!

Intrusion 2

Intrusion 2 is an action platformer. Set in sci-fi environment on reserve planet occupied by hostile military corporation conducting forbidden weapon research. Intrusion 2 is inspired by classic 16bit era sidescrollers and focuses on classic fast paced action combined with modern physics and animation.

jh3JG.jpg
rBuzE.jpg

3m2ip.jpg
JfpMg.jpg

Gameplay Trailer

Free Demo

Official Website

9/10 @ Destructoid

EDIT:
Hi everybody, vap here! First of all thanks everybody, and PBnFlash especially! I was bombarded with mail and comments today. Seriously, wasn't expecting that. So I'll answer common questions first:

* Steam: Yes the game has passed the approval and is already integrated with Steam (http://i.imgur.com/xsp20.jpg ), summer sale is now over and Steam guys said they will resume work this week.

* Steam Keys: Those who bought the game on HumbleStore will receive Steam keys after release on Steam

* Mac version is ready with exception of gamepad support, I'll need a real Mac to compile some libraries (couldn't run XCode on virtualbox), so it will be released as soon as I find one.

Oh, and George Dziov (guy who made the soundtrack) has a bandcamp page: http://georgedziov.bandcamp.com with OST and indie games tribute songs (check Ultra Pack).

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comm...spend_3_years_working_on_this_game_by/c5jmpuo

Alexios

Trailer.

I gave this a try and it's pretty cool and promising, although the trailer is a bit misleading since it's zoomed in and scrolling around when, so far at least, the stages have been zoomed out single screen affairs. There's a world map which looks pretty large and more than one next stage may become available at the same time as you advance.
TELETROOPER was the game we’d always wanted to make. We were inspired by the non-stop shoot-and-dodge excitement of Starfox 64 and wanted to bring that into the world of the 2D pixel-precise arcade.

Nerve-wracking combat!
Over-powered weapons!
Hazard-filled environments!
Giant mechanical bosses!
Post-modern storyline?
Sprawling multi-route world map!

Programming by Adam Butcher
Graphics by Ben Claxton

Top Bottom