• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of overlooked PC indie games recommendation

Corto said:
Jamestown, Capsized, Frozen Synapse, Atom Zombie Smasher, Hoard, Inside a Star-filled Sky, Zeit 2, and Desktop Dungeons new version not yet released. 2011 has been good on Indie games. Do it...

Indie games for the fucking win. This year has been insane. Dredmor is absolutely one of the best games of the year(okay barring evil bugs) and this cute little Tobe Vertical Adventure game that just came out is cool as hell too. EVERY GODDAMN WEEK!

The fact that I am working my ass off to bring these titles to Japan makes no
business
sense but I have or will have most of those you list! I WILL HAVE THEM ALL DAMMIT!

kelbear1

Banned
You play as a flying ship with various instruments of war dangling off of you. You fight with the mouse to move the ship, which in turn swings the weapons around. Lots of physics fun as you smack the @#^& out of an enemy with a flaming hammer of god and send him tumbling through the environment with pieces breaking off of his ship and the environment.

Swords, axes, maces, hammers, guns, etc. Very fun. This game is a blast. Does an /amazing/ job of making your hits feel satisfying. It takes skill to get the really good hits, but when you land them, the game rewards you in shower of glory.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Arvoesine is a cute, tough 8bit action platformer that apparently bombed despite the $5 and later $3 price.
arvoesine_screen3.png

Now it's also gone freeware. Try it!

Oh so it went Freeware huh?

I talked with the dev trying to convince him to let us sell it in Japan but he didn't seem to want to as he didn't feel the game was good enough.

Too bad as I absolutely love the game. Really cute and simple but with an interesting scoring system.

Salsa

Baiano19 said:
WTF, La Mulana is a freeware indie game?? I though the Wiiware remake was about an old arcade game, like Toki...

Should I wait for the remake or play this instead?

Play now for free, if you like it buy the remake, then maybe play it

edit: LOL, that was in a previous page, oh well

Alexios

PokéKong said:
5574264738_0c0f2ff5ed_z.jpg

The Iconoclasts, a work in progress demo just released, based on the earlier unfinished game Ivory Springs, by the marvelous Joakim Sandberg, creator of the acclaimed Noitu Love 2 and Legend of Princess, and who is inexplicably going under some real hard times right now. How this dude doesn't get job offers from several game studios a day is beyond me. A complete lack of appreciation for real talent I suppose. Uuuuuugghh, here comes the depression...
The game is back in development!!!!!

Higher resolution too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv8-RZ3vljw&hd=1

Grayman

torus trooper is my go to over rrootage and warning forever http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/tt_e.html

I haven't played in awhile but i always pimp it. The game takes place in a cylinder and involves going faster and faster while dodging or shooting enemies. there are big enemies sort of like bosses once in awhile but the charge shot pwns them. Charge shot does major damage but slows the ship so it is a point tradeoff, huge kill multiplier and less danger or more speed points.

vani77a

Neo Member
tried the first few levels of Space Chem (a wonderful bonus to the last Humble Bundle).
fun little puzzle game, hoping to play some more this week end...

Mista Koo

SalsaShark and whoever bumped this thread I love you <3. I've always wanted such a thread and never knew there was one.

I'm surprised at the amount of free quality stuff I never heard about. What's in this thread alone will keep me entertained for ~10 years.
. . given the amount of time I currently game.

Isomac

Project Black Sun
This is our first game and we wanted to get SNES game vibe to it.
Project Black Sun is adventure game with platforming elements and it's
inspired by Super Metroid.

Features:
- Lots of collectables and exploring
- Challenging boss fights
- Classic old school pixel graphics
- Rewarding gameplay
http://beta.indievania.com/games/project-black-sun/

Gameplay trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pQ3G1ZICwKo

I checked out the demo version and it was quite fun. Has anyone here played the full game? Would be interesting to hear impressions.

Has anyone ever posted Steel Storm in here?

http://www.steel-storm.com/

vid320.jpg

vid325.jpg

It is a pretty badass shooter with some cool ideas. The level editor is pretty fun to play with and you can actual work together with someone online to create one in realtime! :O

Pretty awesome stuff! Plus they let me bring the game to Japan so I owe them a shout out. :D

Ricky_R

Bumpity bump... Thought this beauty deserved it.

I wonder why there's no Machinarium in here. I will try quite a lot of these games.

Alexios

Steel Storm is that Future Cop: LAPD -like huh? Something seems off with the camera though.

Alextended said:
Steel Storm is that Future Cop: LAPD -like huh? Something seems off with the camera though.

I guess there are actually some parallels to draw there. I haven't thought about that game in a while!

The second view is actually something you unlock after completing the game once. The first time through it is just a fairly standard top down free roaming shmup with some exploration elements as well.

With all of the graphics options to the max it looks pretty awesome, especially with the dynamic lighting affecting all of the bullets and projectiles.

Myriadis

Yep, this is the thread for freeware games. Should be sticked or something.

Anyway, I recommend Momodora II.
Is it an exploration platformer, heavily influenced by Cave Story. It is not really challenging, except the final boss and maybe some parts of the last stage, but I really enjoyed it. And the soundtrack is quite good. You can finish the game in ~45-60 minutes the first time, 25-30 minutes if you know everything already.
jApN3.png

And a tip, there are two endings.To get the good one, try everything in the place where you fought the first boss when you got all the abilities. And no, you can't open the black chest, it's some reference to Chrono Trigger or something.

Oh God, I keep forgetting about this thread and it's pure heaven. I need to find time for all those gems. :/

Haha I can undestand that. It is half of my job and I still can't keep up.

BTW there is another badass game coming out this week.

http://qube-game.com/

I have not seen any mention of the game on GAF which is too bad as it really is fun.

I am actually thinking this game even deserves a proper OT which I may try to find the time to make this week. I met the devs quite a few times at different events and they are cool peeps.
I want to help them out and GAF needs to play this game!

HEY! Here is some eye candy as well! <3

Seems like I am one of the few people who still checks this thread... :(

Good to see someone made a Q.U.B.E. OT at least and saved me the trouble. :)

I just saw that a very unique 2D platformer called Dustforce has finally announced a solid release date. Will be hitting Steam on Jan. 17th.

http://dustforce.com/

I remember playing the prototype and liking it. The full game looks a lot more polished and smooth.

I FUCKING love the art style.

dustforce_d-2011-11-10-16-42-17-50.jpg

Alexios

Not overlooked yet if it's not released :p

Sides, RPS posted about it! I think.

Yeah, I've posted about some unreleased or just released games too...

Brogue

http://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/

CIO1A.png

If you're looking to get into roguelikes, this is a great game to start with. Don't let the old-school look scare you off - the interface is surprisingly easy to learn, and the ASCII art is actually some of the best I've ever seen... the game does a lot of cool visual stuff with lighting and animation within the ASCII style. The gameplay systems are really solidly designed -- each enemy is unique and requires a different approach, items are nearly always useful in some way (even the "bad" items can be turned against your enemies), and combat is tactical and interesting. The developer updates on a fairly regular basis, and he's added some pretty substantial new gameplay since I've started playing. And it's free!

Atomski

Seems like I am one of the few people who still checks this thread... :(

Good to see someone made a Q.U.B.E. OT at least and saved me the trouble. :)

I just saw that a very unique 2D platformer called Dustforce has finally announced a solid release date. Will be hitting Steam on Jan. 17th.

http://dustforce.com/

I remember playing the prototype and liking it. The full game looks a lot more polished and smooth.

I FUCKING love the art style.

dustforce_d-2011-11-10-16-42-17-50.jpg

Whoa looks cool, artstyle is nice. Will check it out.

Not overlooked yet if it's not released :p

Sides, RPS posted about it! I think.

Yeah, I've posted about some unreleased or just released games too...

Haha good point! This is kind of become the de facto PC Indie Game |OT| heh

I do think that RPS originally posted about the prototype but I am not sure if there has been any new coverage. Really looking forward to playing it soon.

Alexios

Oh so it went Freeware huh?

I talked with the dev trying to convince him to let us sell it in Japan but he didn't seem to want to as he didn't feel the game was good enough.

Too bad as I absolutely love the game. Really cute and simple but with an interesting scoring system.
Missed this post. Dude is crazy. His own site has a 5 star rating system and he keeps rating his own games as shit... Arvoesine 2/5!

Missed this post. Dude is crazy. His own site has a 5 star rating system and he keeps rating his own games as shit... Arvoesine 2/5!

Heh....Yeah maybe I can get in touch with him again to offer it for free.
I really love the scoring mechanic he came up with. One of most interesting systems I have seen in a while. I could see how the game could be fleshed out more but what is there is as solid as any other indie game I have played.

Aucool

I want to recommend Defender's Quest

fcQWM.jpg

http://www.defendersquest.com/

trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wFkdCv7daTs

I'ts a new puzzlequestesque tower defense / RPG hybrid. The gameplay has an arcade rhytm but it also quiet deep while the story and the characters are really funny.
You can try the demo that let you play 2 of the 7 chapter of the full game (that is quiet cheap, 6 bucks).
I've liked a lot the demo and probably I'll buy it =)

Also recommending Defender's Quest. Played the demo for 10 minutes. Bought it. Then the next 7 or so hours slid by in a haze of TDRPG madness. It feels like this game is out to destroy my work and social lives.

Top Bottom