• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thunderbolt Fantasy |OT| From the writer of Madoka & F/Z, Sword Travels from the East

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This was some bullshit as they've done all of them I think up to now---really stuck out against an otherwise fantastic episode.

I don't think any of them have been translated. If the older episodes were updated with them I'm not aware.

Does that mean she has to be close to cast the curse since she can't cast it directly at the assassin ? Anyway, I still like the idea, necro in party make convo fun and now assassin this is going to be epc, haha.

It only turns the blood of corpses into acid, so it won't come into effect until the one it's casted on is dead. Thus casting it on phoenix killer is pretty much pointless

I love necromancer lady. If you had a Warlock or a Necromancer in your party they would just constantly suggest effective ways of winning that are fucked up and you couldn't use

The lack of poetry translation really bothered me, too.

Seems obvious in retrospect, but I didn't believe they'd get that heavy hitter on their side. I love the dynamic that is developing.

It's only a matter of a couple episodes now though, before the Enigmatic Gale turns on them on all and Shang Dandy has to go back to the stream of souls to rescue the soon to be dead princess.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
At this point I'm of mind I'll never learn the names and that I will never understand the poems even if translated

It's especially hard because the voice actors are saying the names in a way that sounds nothing like the way their name is written in the subs.

Anywho, I'm up to ep 4, (watching 5 tonight), and I'm in love with this show. Looking forward to more brutal Urobuchi death in the future.

Chaos17

It only turns the blood of corpses into acid, so it won't come into effect until the one it's casted on is dead. Thus casting it on phoenix killer is pretty much pointless

I see thanks for the explanation!
English isn't my first language so I kinda mix easely sometime explanation like this.

Have puppets ever looked this intimidating shot by shot?

I'm still curious how the cost per episode compares to a traditional anime.

What are her chances of staying dead seeing as the current big bad appeared immediately after. Also I don't blame them for not translating the poem this time as it was super long.

jonjonaug

What are her chances of staying dead seeing as the current big bad appeared immediately after. Also I don't blame them for not translating the poem this time as it was super long.

It was translated when I watched the episode. Loading up last week's again, it looks like the poem translation was added in.

spoiler on ep 6
Am i the only one that is suspicious of the young lady? because near the end of the episode, when gui lao discuss with the rest of the "team" his group choice, strutting like a cock in an hen, the girl's eye flash violet-like... normal or...????

Qvoth

surprised to see her die so soon
wtzgU.gif

i'll try and translate the poem's the best i can

final boss' poem
「萬物之生,死亡之序。奉吾則功上枯骨,逆吾則劍下亡魂。寒刃之前,唯此二道。」
all life is prelude to death, obey and work till your bones is dry (reference to his title which basically means all bones), disobey and die under the sword, there's only these 2 choices facing my sword

archer's
「雙目不能視物,隻眼能望千里。凝吾眸光成箭,奪人不避之命。」
unable to see with both eyes, but can watch thousands of miles. the focus of my sight becomes an arrow, inevitably taking life

phoenix killer's
「今朝啼鳥訴生死,眾生執迷;江湖宿命無人悟,一劍終末。」
this morning's birdsong tells the story of life and death, nobody knows for sure, nobody knows the destiny of those in jiang hu (very hard to explain if you're not into wuxia, but it's basically something like "the hood" if you're a gangster), ends with one sword

demoness'
「妖歌吟,鴆花蜜,鎮亡夜之魂,惑永寐之軀。生人樂舞,屍亦婆娑。幽冥絕麗之界,不聞人語,唯識月光。」
demonic song is a poisonous flower's honey, a requiem of souls, entrancing an eternal body. the living dances joyfully, as in death. the beautiful afterlife, where there's no sounds of human voices, only knows the moonlight

Haly

Turns out the first one was translated after all I just assumed it was dialogue. Makes more sense now.

Xing Hai's is awesome.

sonicmj1

I really like how this show's progressing. It's actually starting to remind me a lot of the last Urobuchi Gen show I really enjoyed, Fate/Zero, in how so much of the show consists of interactions between various strong, exaggerated personalities pitting their life philosophies against each other. That was particularly obvious in the most recent episode, and I found it to be a lot of fun. These clashes make the over-the-top wuxia battles even more exciting.

I'm going to be thrilled if they can maintain this rhythm through the rest of the run.

Narag

Thunderbolt Fantasy 5
I love the whole enemies sitting for a drink thing as much as I love the "visualized battle before weapons are drawn" thing so this ep did everything for me.

Chaos17

Thunderbolt Fantasy 6

I like how on 24 mins they putted so much meaningfulll infos

- Assassin is the only one who really beleive hero except for silver guy because assassin know that hero is no wanabee at sword fight while others are doubting him
- Princess is elegent yet so naive about out side world yet I can't dislike her, lol
- I didn't expect demon and archer working together, I'm too used to see necro always solo. That was kind OP move XD

Assassin kill steal 10/10

surprised to see her die so soon
wtzgU.gif

i'll try and translate the poem's the best i can

final boss' poem
「萬物之生,死亡之序。奉吾則功上枯骨,逆吾則劍下亡魂。寒刃之前,唯此二道。」
all life is prelude to death, obey and work till your bones is dry (reference to his title which basically means all bones), disobey and die under the sword, there's only these 2 choices facing my sword

archer's
「雙目不能視物,隻眼能望千里。凝吾眸光成箭,奪人不避之命。」
unable to see with both eyes, but can watch thousands of miles. the focus of my sight becomes an arrow, inevitably taking life

phoenix killer's
「今朝啼鳥訴生死,眾生執迷;江湖宿命無人悟,一劍終末。」
this morning's birdsong tells the story of life and death, nobody knows for sure, nobody knows the destiny of those in jiang hu (very hard to explain if you're not into wuxia, but it's basically something like "the hood" if you're a gangster), ends with one sword

demoness'
「妖歌吟,鴆花蜜,鎮亡夜之魂,惑永寐之軀。生人樂舞,屍亦婆娑。幽冥絕麗之界,不聞人語,唯識月光。」
demonic song is a poisonous flower's honey, a requiem of souls, entrancing an eternal body. the living dances joyfully, as in death. the beautiful afterlife, where there's no sounds of human voices, only knows the moonlight
Thank you for the translation, I think those poems are cool.

Edit: behind the scene of ep 4 (no sub)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYLTMof4q-E

Narag

Thunderbolt Fantasy 6
Another thing I adore about this show is for as much as Shang challenges Gui Niao's identity, he gets it just as much from the rest who find his own origins to be rather outlandish given they have no idea how Shang came to be traveling with him. It's a great way to breed distrust since he's consistently perceived to be in Gui Niao's employ.

There's also something great about Gui Niao's enigmatic nature being revealed organically. We're sort of in Shang's position initially as seeing him as a snarky eccentric but learning how his reputation precedes him, his various names he doesn't care to use, his unspoken past, the lack of trust among those who he looks to for assistance, and the fact he's consistently obtaining said help makes him mysterious in a great way. The viewer is still firmly in Shangs point of view upon realizing maybe he or she should be keeping an eye on this guy at their back as well as the villain ahead.

duckroll

This show is amazing. Caught up to episode 6 on Thursday, Watched episode 7 today. Great puppetry, great sets and costumes, really snappy dialogue. It really is wuxia Fate/Zero with puppets. I'm really impressed by the direction in the non-action sequences too. It takes some real skill to make the scenes look compelling with only very subtle movements on the puppets. Their mouths don't even move but there's real emotion coming off the body language.

Can't wait for the big "plot twist" next week before it moves into a surprise narrative swerve in the last arc. We all know this has to end with Kirei GhostBird vs Kiritsugu DeathNoProblem.

Thunderbolt 7

LMAO. MC showing us why he is the main character of the show. What a badass. And at the same time this might be my favorite character from Urobuchi because the whole time these smug motherfuckers are like "Oh please don't worry you can do it" as they're sipping tea and having a laugh. I'm here all 'why doesn't this motherfucker just leave them out of spite now'
and he does at the end like "you know what fuck you guys" which is exactly what I would've done hahaha

Getting irritated at this streak now of them not even trying to translate the poetry bits---I mean really? What changed so dramatically that they did the earliest ones the same as all else? Save us Qvoth~

Episode 7/6 was so damn good, this whole series was amazing. Give them infinite budget and set them after an actually complete rendition of Condor Hero and all else they can possibly do on top of original reckonings---it doesn't even matter anymore because they've hit upon something absolutely stellar that needs to continue to escalate right on into the future.

Getting irritated at this streak now of them not even trying to translate the poetry bits---I mean really? What changed so dramatically that they did the earliest ones the same as all else? Save us Qvoth~

Episode 7/6 was so damn good, this whole series was amazing. Give them infinite budget and set them after an actually complete rendition of Condor Hero and all else they can possibly do on top of original reckonings---it doesn't even matter anymore because they've hit upon something absolutely stellar that needs to continue to escalate right on into the future.

I'm starting to think the guy who could translate them in the office is out on vacation lmao

This show is amazing. Caught up to episode 6 on Thursday, Watched episode 7 today. Great puppetry, great sets and costumes, really snappy dialogue. It really is wuxia Fate/Zero with puppets. I'm really impressed by the direction in the non-action sequences too. It takes some real skill to make the scenes look compelling with only very subtle movements on the puppets. Their mouths don't even move but there's real emotion coming off the body language.

Can't wait for the big "plot twist" next week before it moves into a surprise narrative swerve in the last arc. We all know this has to end with Kirei GhostBird vs Kiritsugu DeathNoProblem.

You know the writing and direction are good when the big bad shows up for 3 minutes, does nothing but talk mess at the hero group then flies away, and you don't feel totally jipped.

Narag

I'm starting to think the guy who could translate them in the office is out on vacation lmao

I assume it's a harder task so it's delayed to get the ep out on time. Episode 6 has the poetry subs on CR now but I'm not sure when they went back to add them in.

edit: Actually today's poem is subbed on CR now too so fixed sometime in the past 12 hours.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 7

Episode 7 - Demon Spine Mountains, or, uh... Sir Shang are you all right?

She seemed to be the only one that wasn't in on the joke to fuck with him.

And at the end when they all look shocked when he essentially did all of the work and wants to leave them. Really? LMAO

Lautaro

You know the writing and direction are good when the big bad shows up for 3 minutes, does nothing but talk mess at the hero group then flies away, and you don't feel totally jipped.

Actually that annoyed me, he was like a typical RPG boss that sits in his tower waiting for the good guys to get XP. I really hopes it pay off by showing that this group of badasses could actually be their own worst enemies (maybe the Enigmatic Gale is not just tricky but actually dangerous). I would like something like Rokka no yuusha did: mistrust and inner conflict.

Still pretty good show.

Narag

Actually that annoyed me, he was like a typical RPG boss that sits in his tower waiting for the good guys to get XP. I really hopes it pay off by showing that this group of badasses could actually be their own worst enemies (maybe the Enigmatic Gale is not just tricky but actually dangerous). I would like something like Rokka no yuusha did: mistrust and inner conflict.

Still pretty good show.

Not counting the blonde, Dan Fei, and Shang, I got the feeling the main bad guy probably wasn't even the most evil person on that boat.

Haly

So...

Shang was expelled from the evil magic repelling circle. Anyone else pick up on that?

So...

Shang was expelled from the evil magic repelling circle. Anyone else pick up on that?

/rewatches again

So that's what happened! In that second I was looking a my little niece in RL so I wasn't sure of why he got out of the circle. Interesting, very interesting.
I can think stuff like him being secretly a high level undead hero invoked by pipe-guy to defeat his old student.

Haly

Yeah I'm also thinking he's a
very advanced undead. Like vampire level. The only reason I'm not certain is because there's no way Xing Hai wouldn't be able to tell if Shang is actually some undead creature.

duckroll

All these black bars. I thought discussion up to the current episode is fair game in all TV show threads!

Maybe he's not undead but something else. It sounds like people don't usually cross the wasteland and survive, so no one knows what's on the other side...

Episode 7

Wow this show is soooo good. Will we be able to vote for it in AOTY or in any category at all? Cant accept something this good could get shafted at awards time.

So...

He was definitely outside it when it was cast. Not sure about the mechanics of it after that.

CorvoSol

So is everyone's name and the poems in Chinese but they're pronoucing the Japanese equivalent ?

Yes. Fortunately, the opening credits provide most of the character names in Romanized Japanese underneath the Chinese characters. You have to account for the fact that Syou Fu Kan is pronounced Shou, but yeah.

The wikipedia article on the show also provides some pronunciations.

Some characters have nicknames to roll with too, like Enigmatic Gale and Bones of Creation

duckroll

To make things even MORE confusing to those who actually know these languages, the Chinese poems in each episode are read in Hokkien, which is the spoken dialect used in Taiwan (just like how Cantonese is used in Hong Kong). But the English subtitles use the Mandarin pinyin for the names because that's what the official Japanese site uses when listing what the names should be in Chinese.

CorvoSol

To make things even MORE confusing to those who actually know these languages, the Chinese poems in each episode are read in Hokkien, which is the spoken dialect used in Taiwan (just like how Cantonese is used in Hong Kong). But the English subtitles use the Mandarin pinyin for the names because that's what the official Japanese site uses when listing what the names should be in Chinese.

Lol. That's crazy

Who cares about Chinese in my Chinese cartoons, I just want to know if in the next episode he brings out some doritos and dew after his rage quit last episode.

No seriously everybody else in that party lost their purpose besides the necromancer.

Jarmel

Banned
This episode really laid it on thick what the twists are going to be. That said, I appreciate Urobuchi actually utilizing foreshadowing unlike so many of his contemporaries. When the 'twist' comes, it'll feel less out of left field and more a natural extension of the story ala Madoka. Man's still got the touch.

This episode was fantastic just to see Shang getting constantly trolled. The show is also moving at a faster pace than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom