• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thunderbolt Fantasy |OT| From the writer of Madoka & F/Z, Sword Travels from the East

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly

I always figured his sword was wood because of how his hits sound vs. those they use for swords. I thought that was what the reveal was when the Enigmatic Gale had his "sword" a couple episodes ago.

Ending was hype though. Is next week the last episode?

Rymuth

Hahahahahaha! A painted wooden sword. That's so Shang. Guess I should've realized from the sound of him sheath and unsheathing his sword. I always took note of it because I found the sound so pleasing on the ears *Tunk!* *thunk!*

I think we're pretty much getting a second season now. No way they're gonna resolve the demon king with just one episode left.

Hahahahahaha! A painted wooden sword. That's so Shang. Guess I should've realized from the sound of him sheath and unsheathing his sword. I always took note of it because I found the sound so pleasing on the ears *Tunk!* *thunk!*

I think we're pretty much getting a second season now. No way they're gonna resolve the demon king with just one episode left.
See they trick you by having the handle also be wood so you think it might be the guard making the noise as it comes in and out of the wood sheath

I lost my mind when Shang used a big stick as a sword and beat people's ass with it. That's something Mihawk or Shanks in One Piece would do to show how far above their opponent they are.

duckroll

Finally caught up on the last two episodes. I thought it was ending today, but there's one more episode! Boo!

The action is really top notch in the show, although I'm a little bit disappointed that they've gone full JRPG with this at the end rather than leaving the giant demon war shit as historical flavor. Wuxia stuff tend to stick to the people being the driving force of everything, rather than having some giant winged demon as the final boss. Looking forward to see everyone kill each other in the ending though. Plz deliver Butch!

The violence in this show is so fucking lovable. When the guy got his entire ribcage blown out of his back, I was laughing so hard. That was so good. The hanging was really satisfying too, since the guy has been such a worthless douche. Since I have a fetish for whip battles, I'm also super pleased that demon girl is bringing the goods to melee fights too rather than just using boring magic.

Regarding the final scene of Episode 12:
So I guess Lin is some kind of supreme swordsman then? Maybe he was never worried about his deal with Screaming Phoenix Killer afterall, though that'd be a little disappointing.

So good, this has gone Condor Hero as all hell and I love it all the more for it.

Or Reikenzan if you need a more recent anime reference, but really that went down an entirely deeper rabbit hole on the esoteric side---badly want more seasons of both shows to get here sooner than later!

I'm with the duck on this one, it's a shame they went the demon overlord route instead of everybody backstabbing each other before they got anywhere near the actual demon lord. That would have been a more delicious conclusion where they don't even reach the end game of many fantasy shows because most key players die beforehand.

Rymuth

I'm with the duck on this one, it's a shame they went the demon overlord route instead of everybody backstabbing each other before they got anywhere near the actual demon lord. That would have been a more delicious conclusion where they don't even reach the end game of many fantasy shows because most key players die beforehand.
While I may agree that it might have been the more satisfying conclusion, I disagree that Wuxia stories do not pull a demon card at the end.

There was this comicbook shop I frequented that provided a lot of wuxia comics. The Stormriders, Weapons of the Gods and more all started pretty low-key but transitioned to fighting demons later on.

Pretty much the only wuxia story I read that remained about delicious politics was The Condor Trilogy.

Chaos17

Episode 12

Holy crap, that ep made me sink deeper into fan boy mode!! That was intendse, so aweseome and hero display his skill was #fangasm
I need the freeking OST and the this serie in DVD!! I never liked some easy a serie usualy it take time for me ti become a fan (ex: Wolrd trigger) but this is so good!!

I think we've seen more backstabbing we ever saw in such a short time in a anime/serie, lol

The action is really top notch in the show, although I'm a little bit disappointed that they've gone full JRPG with this at the end rather than leaving the giant demon war shit as historical flavor. Wuxia stuff tend to stick to the people being the driving force of everything, rather than having some giant winged demon as the final boss. Looking forward to see everyone kill each other in the ending though. Plz deliver Butch!

Chinese Paladin serie and Journey of flower are totaly about fighting demons, that's the Wuxia serie I watched.

Nyanmaruz

Any news if they are making a second season or even a second series like Thunderbolt Fantasy?
I don't think I can get enough of this shit.

Jarmel

Banned
hi4JlGb.png

Couldn't have happened to a more fitting character.

duckroll

While I may agree that it might have been the more satisfying conclusion, I disagree that Wuxia stories do not pull a demon card at the end.

There was this comicbook shop I frequented that provided a lot of wuxia comics. The Stormriders, Weapons of the Gods and more all started pretty low-key but transitioned to fighting demons later on.

Pretty much the only wuxia story I read that remained about delicious politics was The Condor Trilogy.

I think it might be a generational thing. I grew up with much more traditional wuxia. Adaptations of works by Louis Cha and Gu Long, original works that were inspired by that generation of works like Zu Mountain Warriors, and even comic stuff later on like Stormriders and A Man Called Hero were very much about human villains. I'm sure things change when the comics keep running and running endlessly though.

That opening credits misdirection. Hook Sword Guy never got to act as a rival to Juan. Both he and villain girl got offed super quickly.

I also find it hilarious that he still took the time to paint the wooden sword silver.

Best thing last episode, aside from the Edgeless Blade title, were the shots focusing on Bones of Creation's and Enigmatic Gale's feet. That indicated immediately that shit was about to go down.

talan619

Neo Member
Any indication on how costly it is to produce something like TF in this day and age?

According news report in Taiwan,Pili spent one year on filming Thunderbolt Fantasy with a 30 people team. (not include per-production and post-production team in Taipei and Japan )

Thunderbolt Fantasy 13 END

That was fucking amazing. About half the lines in the episode made me lose my shit.

Also we're getting a second season, hype

Narag

Thunderbolt Fantasy 13

"I'm the greatest swordsman who ever lived who has sought the finest blade worthy of demonstrating my martial prowess" *defeated by a vape rig*

"I'm a demon lord that'll wreak havoc upon humanity and you insects can't stop me."
Shang: I got this.

Art.

Seeing the main pair at full strength at last felt so damn good.

also s2 announced

What a great ending.

Vapewizard is such a huge troll and then he gets out-trolled by the bones of Creation.

I love that Shofukan uses a stick as a sword even though he has 36 powerful swords in his possession that he's been collecting from assholes in his country.

That was a great show. The battle between Bones and Vapewizard was amazing. Seeing these puppets do shit you wouldn't normally see puppets do was spectacular.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 13
Excellent ending. Enigmatic Gale vs Bones of Creation fight was fantastic.

Shang too OP.

Glad we are getting another season of this.

Rymuth

HOLY SHIT~ 36 weapons? Haha, that was glorious. I can just hear Ducky screaming because Shang literally Deus Ex'ed the whole problem away. Sorry, Duck, ya'll have to wait for your kill 'em all resolution.

I really like this format - getting a strong Usagi Yojimbo and all the romanticized samurai tales. New season, new characters, new locations with Shang not stopping in one place. I dig it.

Voror

That was pretty damn good alright. Loved the reveal that Shang just has a scroll he keeps tons of super weapons in and him complaining about it was pretty funny too I thought.

Lin losing his shit when he got outplayed was actually kind of satisfying to see since it was the first time we'd actually seen him really break that calm demeanor he always had. I like that it sounds like we'll be seeing him some more since he sees Shang as a good opportunity to get some more targets.

I'm sort of confused that we didn't get a follow up on what happened to Kei Gai once she finished awakening the Demon God. If she's still around, she might be able to open the sword again if she isn't careful.

The group Shang mentions offhand scheming to steal all the weapons he's gathered feels like a tease for what's to come potentially. I also like that while we have a much better understanding of what he's capable of, there's still a fair bit of mystery to his origins like where he learned to do all this.

Very much looking forward to Season Two.

convo

Thunderbolt Fantasy 13

Stupid immortal creatures cannot handle the emptiness of
outer space
once again.
Really impressed how top class the master thief is with the sword.
What the hell was up with the dbz shot from space? I burst out laughing at that. That was a bigger attack than anything that demon had to show.

That was a fun episode but the battles felt a tad short for a finale. The space shot from that Gale vs Bones fight was hilariously awesome, I wonder how they're going to top all of this in S2. I guess we haven't seen our Edgeless Blade fight at full power just yet, so there's that to look forward to.

Arkeband

Banned
I see people freaking out over the end of this thing and I think I gave up watching shortly after they started fighting lame zombies - the writing and the choreography didn't measure up to Episode 1's.

So the quality goes back up I'm assuming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom