• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TikTok. Sell, or you’re banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

FUBARx89

Even without privacy and spying concerns it should be banned anyway, along with Youtube shorts and Facebook reels.

Gonna sound like I'm clutching my pearls, but so much brain rot gets posted on them that effects both young girls and boys. They're gonna be just as fucked us as the Millenials watching that crap.

Power Pro

I'm proud to say I've never created an account or downloaded tiktok. These short videos have just annoyed the hell out of me since their inception. They're for the most stupid people who have no attention span past a few seconds, and no thoughts in their head but to click on the next video. Creating a society of mindless zombies.

Only social media I have is facebook because family seems to refuse to let me leave, but every time I'm on it, I get so pissed at the stupid short clips it keeps shoving down my throat on there. If it's not stupid thot crap, it's some clip where someone takes something that doesn't belong to them, like a scene or something from a movie and just plays it out of context. So fucking annoying.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Nothing of value to me. Never have used that app. I find it pointless when you have others that have been doing the same or better for years.

Quasicat

We discussed this in my Current Events class and two 8th graders started crying. A couple of others told me it made them mad and they wanted to call their Congressman.
Add to this that they have the attention span of a hummingbird because of this app and over the years I’ve been told that they wished they could “swipe up” or “swipe left” in my class. They’re going to love hearing this in the morning.

I don't really care if TikTok gets banned, but the security concerns aren't worse than any other piece of tech. The main issue is that we have no rights when it comes to our data privacy in general. The only difference is that, with TikTok, our data is getting sent to a company in China instead of a company in the US.

As far as brain rot goes, I can definitely feel my brain getting numb when I use the app for more than 5-10 minutes. That's why I'll only go on a couple times a day when I need to let my brain take a dump. As with anything, moderation is important.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It’s just going to be bought by some venture capitalists if this passes the senate.

Without some heavy-handed ridiculous legislation we aren’t getting rid of social media so the brain rot is probably here to state.

ProtoByte

I guess this kind of showdown with China was inevitable.

I hate Tiktok, have never used it, but I'm not sure this is the best idea. It appears to be more grandstanding than anything else - how many American tech companies are selling data all over the place, directly or indirectly into Chinese or other geopolitical rivals? How much unconstitutional spying and manipulation is occurring with this apps by way of the domestic NSA? - and it makes the US look like it's weaponising business and law for political advantage. "Give/sell us your shit or we're banning you" (unless I'm reading the article wrong, that's what seems to be going on) is the kind of shit you'd expect China to pull.

It gives ammo to the likes of China to grandstand themselves, to a world stage that is having more and more problems with American hegemony.

Last edited:
I'm fine with all social medias dying. The only problem is that, theres no other sources of sometimes good information. News has hardly been trustworthy these days.

j0hnnix

Please think about the thots!

the simpsons helen GIF

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Ive always hated these short vids since Vine. I never used ShitTok, i hate looking at reels and suggestions from IG and i dont bother with YT shorts. It annoys me even more when friends and family keep sending Tiktok and IG.

LordCBH

On the one hand, fuck TikTok.

In the other hand, this bill seems completely absurd and gives the government way too much power.

Mistake

The last bill to ban tiktok included all kinds of extra bs, so I'm not getting my hopes up. But hey, at least those old politicians are finding a way to stay relevant with the kids! lol

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Would love to see it pass, but I find it hard to believe it will in an election year.

You'd think this would be a very good thing, but if this is accurate, there's reason for a lot of concern here. This app may be government controlled, but I don't want to see that sort of censorship applied to non-government controlled websites, just because whoever the administration is at the time doesn't like what they're saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom