• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tik Tok Ban Passed (Lock if political?)

Tams

If the goal here is really about foreign spying and data privacy, then it's pointless in light of the complete lack of regulation we have on data harvesting and selling. China can simply buy all the data they need, they don't need TikTok.

I suspect the issue here is more to do with the bills it's packaged with and the threat that alternative information spheres play in shaping American opinion on foreign policy affairs.

It's some of that, but also influence.

People are getting their news from TikTok and their opinions are therefore formed by it. That can end up a national security issue, especially if some of them end up in positions of power and influence.

Not to stray into forbidden territory too much, but if you only get your information from TikTok, you'd think the ethnic minorities in the PRC are all very happy and love the CCP.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
House votes to reapprove law allowing warrantless surveillance of US citizens

You were saying? Lots of American do not trust their government at all and yet they give it powers under the “oh but they will self-regulate on their own for sure”. Cognitive dissonance at work :/.
Oh… and more:

Elizabeth Goitein:

Buried in the Section 702 reauthorization bill (RISAA) passed by the House on Friday is the biggest expansion of domestic surveillance since the Patriot Act.

[…]
If the bill becomes law, any company or individual that provides ANY service whatsoever may be forced to assist in NSA surveillance, as long as they have access to equipment on which communications are transmitted or stored—such as routers, servers, cell towers, etc.

That sweeps in an enormous range of U.S. businesses that provide wifi to their customers and therefore have access to equipment on which communications transit. Barber shops, laundromats, fitness centers, hardware stores, dentist’s offices… the list goes on and on.
[…]
None of these people or businesses would be allowed to tell anyone about the assistance they were compelled to provide.
[…]

The NSA, having wholesale access to domestic communications on an unprecedented scale, would then be on the “honor system” to pull out and retain only the communications of approved foreign targets.

But hey… at least it is not The CCP ;).

BlackTron

People are getting their news from TikTok and their opinins are therefore formed by it. That can end up a national security issue, especially if some of them end up in positions of power and influence.

My dad gets most of his info from Tiktok and the suggested Youtube videos from the first screen on the smart TV. The other day, he commented that Tucker Carlson is a "smart person".

Yes, this is the torturous reality I live in.

Mistake

My dad gets most of his info from Tiktok and the suggested Youtube videos from the first screen on the smart TV. The other day, he commented that Tucker Carlson is a "smart person".

Yes, this is the torturous reality I live in.
Anyone worth $30 million is doing something right 🤷‍♂️ I thought he seemed nice enough on rogan recently. Weird and far-fetched in some places....but not bad.

But yeah, those are terrible sources for info. I try to diversify so I hit all angles. Occasionally I log out of platforms so I'm not so curated

BlackTron

Anyone worth $30 million is doing something right 🤷‍♂️ I thought he seemed nice enough on rogan recently. Weird and far-fetched in some places....but not bad.

But yeah, those are terrible sources for info. I try to diversify so I hit all angles. Occasionally I log out of platforms so I'm not so curated

Well by the net worth metric those dudes who upped theirs by stonewalling Ukrainian aid must be doing something right too.

BTW my dads comment came about a week after his interview with Putin lol

Mistake

Well by the net worth metric those dudes who upped theirs by stonewalling Ukrainian aid must be doing something right too.

BTW my dads comment came about a week after his interview with Putin lol
If you made your money telling people what they want to hear, I wouldn't disparage you for it. It simply means you're filling a gap that wasn't filled before. Identifying these things and why it was needed can help lead to a more common understanding between each other.

Anyway, I'm just glad corporate news is dying out, but tiktok certainly isn't a good replacement

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Getting news from tiktok is insane and the main reason why it should be banned. the chinese algorithms are designed to push a certain viewpoint to sow more discord and some of my friends disillusioned with the mainstream media just dont understand that.

they keep posting trash which is clearly one sided, and worse, not always vetted.

I think its the 24/7 cable news phenomon taken to the extreme. Because no young person in their right mind would switch to cnn, fox, or msnbc at the end of the day. we would be watching sports, tv shows or playing video games. Now these people are consuming news like your conspiracy theorist uncle and racist grandpa.

It's hilarious how much tiktok trash im sent on group chats nowadays from the same people who used to complain about their uncles sending them spam emails or facebook links when facebook was big.

And these are millenials. Gen z is even worse. they take everything they see on tiktok as gospel.

Just fucking go back to watching the 9PM news from your favorite anchor on CBS, NBC or ABC and call it a night. no one is supposed to be consuming this much news at all times. Tiktok and social media in general was supposed to be entertainment. A form of escapism.

Paltheos

If you made your money telling people what they want to hear, I wouldn't disparage you for it. It simply means you're filling a gap that wasn't filled before. Identifying these things and why it was needed can help lead to a more common understanding between each other.

Anyway, I'm just glad corporate news is dying out, but tiktok certainly isn't a good replacement

The objections to some news networks and personalities revolve around the belief that they lay the groundwork to those gaps themselves by selecting information to present that creates that need, that they prepare their viewers over a period of time to be receptive to certain ideas and proposals and then fill that gap themselves. It's not filling a gap between left and right politically (not that news should be doing that to begin with) - It's creating your own ditch on the political spectrum and hoovering people in for political warfare.

Much of what is said is not immediately objectionable on its own but typically fractures whenever an attempt is made at reconciling with other information. Reconciliations often reveal critically relevant information to stories was just missing.

sono

1. One country giving another country an ultimatum about how to run its own company feels just plain wrong. They have no legal right to do that.

2. in terms of blocking internet content sent from another country, there is a dividing line between blocking content for viewing vs providing mechanisms to preventing that site capturing viewers data without their permission or capturing consent to do so. However blocking everything without refinement is reducing the internet and feels like a slippery slope for "freedom"

Mistake

The objections to some news networks and personalities revolve around the belief that they lay the groundwork to those gaps themselves by selecting information to present that creates that need, that they prepare their viewers over a period of time to be receptive to certain ideas and proposals and then fill that gap themselves. It's not filling a gap between left and right politically (not that news should be doing that to begin with) - It's creating your own ditch on the political spectrum and hoovering people in for political warfare.

Much of what is said is not immediately objectionable on its own but typically fractures whenever an attempt is made at reconciling with other information. Reconciliations often reveal critically relevant information to stories was just missing.
Of course, there's a difference between reporting on a thing and crafting a narrative. It's the biggest reason why mainstream media is dying. People are sick of the bs and finger pointing

Roxkis_ii

I'm glad tiktop is getting banned. We shouldn't give rival governments that much social control. (Say what you will about our own goverment, but at least they're supposed to work in our interest.) But if we want to be honest, tiktok is just a symptom of a greater issue.

The popuality of tiktok and other social media as news sources is really showing how much Americans lack any critical thinking. Probably not a good idea to get your news from people who have no accountability.

One thing I've learned is that at the end of the day, people don't actually seek the truth, they seek whatever makes them feel better, and it's a million gifters there ready to shovel up the cash from talking out their ass.

Last edited:

BlackTron

S0IPoda.jpeg

Go_Ly_Dow

It will still be a while to find out if this actually happens.

However, TikTok is not facing an immediate ban in the US.

The new law gives ByteDance nine months to sell the business, and an additional three-month grace period, before a potential ban can be enforced.

That means the sale deadline would most likely come some time in 2025, after the winner of the 2024 presidential election takes office.

Tams

1. One country giving another country an ultimatum about how to run its own company feels just plain wrong. They have no legal right to do that.

2. in terms of blocking internet content sent from another country, there is a dividing line between blocking content for viewing vs providing mechanisms to preventing that site capturing viewers data without their permission or capturing consent to do so. However blocking everything without refinement is reducing the internet and feels like a slippery slope for "freedom"

Eh. If the CCP don't like it, they can just leave.

They'll put up a fight though, as it's a very powerful propaganda machine for them and they don't even need to be very hands on with it.

Sorry, but when dealing with authoritarians, you have to get a little dirty as they always fight dirty.

Jorav

As a frequent TT user who is a male in his 30s, my feed is mainly cooking, funny animal things, engineering channels and random fails. I have never seen any political misinformation or other nonsense.

They need to extend this to Meta and can’t solely attack TT. I’ve seen more nonsense on that platform than TT.

Toons

People are getting their news from TikTok and their opinions are therefore formed by it. That can end up a national security issue, especially if some of them end up in positions of power and influence.

Not to stray into forbidden territory too much, but if you only get your information from TikTok, you'd think the ethnic minorities in the PRC are all very happy and love the CCP.
Government censorship isn't going to stop that, so if thats the goal its a non starter.

Top Bottom