• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Cain (co-creator of Fallout) described the problem with modern game development

That’s what happens when you low ball on wages and demand heavy hours in an industry that has been hell bent on pushing away talented people.

That said if this cat could do it in 45 min then he should’ve showed it, and if he didn’t then he’s one of the reasons people don’t want to come into the games industry and put up with these fat bitches who only got to where they are because they walked through the door early.

Either way the real talent bounces fast to name studios, they don’t stick around in studios like Obsidian which are known for being technically incompetent.
You should watch the video, he does at one point actually show the code. He claims he wrote it out on a whiteboard, and repeatedly asked why it would take 4 weeks to perform the task and was never provided with an answer.

We obviously are only hearing one perspective here, but you should probably watch the video before drawing conclusions about him.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Not really.

There are a ton of people in programming positions these days that don't know how to code. That is evident in the software that ships across the board, not just in the gaming sphere.
This so much. The amount of partnering software companies that I have to work with these days who have no clue what the hell are they doing is pretty mind blowing. You can literally throw complete documentation at them and they'll still struggle to make heads or tails of what they are supposed to be doing.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Not really.

There are a ton of people in programming positions these days that don't know how to code. That is evident in the software that ships across the board, not just in the gaming sphere.

No lies detected

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Mr.Phoenix

Why did he not just write the code. Sounds like the discussion took longer with more negative outcomes.

Fire the incompetent and do it yourself
My thoughts exactly.
Easy to say “I could do that myself in 45 minutes” but if your boss asks you how long it will take to finish you better build in some breathing room in case something goes wrong.

The programmer is going to be responsible to make sure it doesn’t cause any issues and will need to thoroughly test their solution for bugs as well, that’s obviously gonna take more than 45 minutes.
I feel this can go either way. If he legit felt he could do it in 45 minutes, hell let's call that an exaggeration and say he can do it in 3 days vs the 4 weeks the programmer quoted plus their attitude?

I would make a point of doing it myself and for all the programmers to see. let them all see that what their colleague said would take 4 weeks, I finished it in 3 days. Then I would fire him. And then I would tell the rest of them if they felt they couldn't meet these deadlines or match my output...they were free to leave.

The worst thing you want in any workspace or project are pretenders or incompetent people. It ends up doing way more harm than good down the road.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They probably can do it, but they just tried to pass the work to someone else... and they did it.

Most people try to avoid responsibilities and try their hardest in pushing work on to others.

i hate people GIF
Not in this case. They couldn’t even figure out how to do vlookup tables, so the initial batch of reports that everyone saw were borked and everyone was like “WTF is this garbage?”. I was asked to step in and take over. Smooth sailing since and takes me literally 5 minutes per week.

Wildebeest

When someone asks you how long a programming task should take, you should never go low just to earn some sort of "ninja coder" reputation. Planning for things getting unexpectedly complicated and hitting deadlines is good. But if you are saying something will take like 10x as long as it should, that is just dishonest.

Last edited:
Interesting for sure. That's why development team numbers don't always mean faster development.
there's an old saying: "what one programmer can do in one month, two programmers can do in two months."

programming is a discipline where there's a million paths up the mountain (i.e., tons of ways to solve a single problem).
multiple programmers often can waste time discussing paths, claiming they know a path when they dont, not providing others maps of the paths they've treaded, deciding to take other paths on a whim without telling anyone, eating all the rations (resources) and getting the team stuck halfway up the path, etc etc etc

Hugare

That AI story, oh boy

I've worked with so, so many bosses that said some problem could be solved in 1h when in reality he didnt know shit about what he was saying and it would actualy take weeks.

Every problem becomes easy when you are not making the sausage, just looking at it from the outside.

So I would take his word with a grain of salt

Not only that, but he was the game's director. If he can solve the problem in 45 minutes, fuck the programmer, solve the damn problem in 45 minutes by yourself then.

Last edited:

RavageX

Nothing to do with ego. I see situations all the time - even HRs began to wonder where all the developers have gone. The skill drain is real. People literally have 10+ years of experience and unable to write some basic code. Yet always happy to arrange meetings and discussions, that lead to nowhere because nobody not only know what to do, but also unable to take any responsibility. We have architects with zero programming experience, being unable to understand how the application works.

In my company we literally have teams where people don't know their own projects and we (other team) have to explain them how their own application works. I have no idea how people get hired these days but I have yet to see people passing my interviews, when I participate as a reviewer. The skill level in software development is appalling these days.
You see this in a lot of places really. People who supposedly have degrees and don't know what the hell they are doing.

There is always something said for real experience vs a piece of paper sometimes.

K' Dash

this story (piece of code about AI behavior) means nothing without proper context on both sides. If I think of a feature, I can also think about many ways to implement it, maybe his was a simple implementation and the other dev had a more complex one.

That's why you should plan and have the team pitch in and discuss the work instead of just telling someone to do it.

GHG

programming is a discipline where there's a million paths up the mountain (i.e., tons of ways to solve a single problem).
multiple programmers often can waste time discussing paths, claiming they know a path when they dont, not providing others maps of the paths they've treaded, deciding to take other paths on a whim without telling anyone, eating all the rations (resources) and getting the team stuck halfway up the path, etc etc etc

From my experience this has been the most common one.

Different programmers going off on entirely different paths despite me having told them all what path they should be on and why it's important that they stick to that one. Infuriating.

During undergrad it was always far easier and more efficient to just write the code myself than stop and explain my process to people who weren't putting in the time. Very rarely was I teamed up with someone who knew what they were doing.

Phase

Oh, so they're incompetent. Solution? Fire them. Find one that is actually competent. I went back and looked through about 30 dev team pictures of some of the biggest games in history and there are common traits to all of them. If I laid them out, though, I'd probably be banned.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Not really.

its across the board in all markets. Diversity hires, unions etc. It's just a job to people now. Im not sweating and causing myself stress for the mans profits

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
You guys have gotta stop blaming "diversity" for everything.

Dev teams are diverse because the developer workforce is diverse. It's a worldwide profession.
These are companies trying to make money. they're gonna hire the based on the best combination of technical skills and social skills.

If you're getting declined for jobs, it's not because of your race or gender or whatever. It's because you aren't as good as you think you are.

And if you're one of those redpill edgelords that "find it difficult to work alongside ethnic or trans people" then there's no surprise you don't get hired.
Why would anyone want to hire you? It doesn't matter how good of a programmer you think you are if you can't work with all sorts of other people.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

You get what you pay for

Also, it's easy to underestimate things and blame "juniors".

Celebrate In Love GIF by Max
Yep, plus now days things are a lot more formal. You have code reviews, security reviews and scans, testing that may include UAT and Staging, and then change approval procedures.

So say a senior Dev could do the job in a day or two (45 min thing is usually BS, heard enough of that in many projects). Junior to Mid level Dev would do that job in a week or maybe a bit more. Then add another week or two of reviews, testing and change requests.

There you go, now 1-2 day job takes 2-4 weeks. Shit isn’t simple anymore once you have proper structure and oversight.

StereoVsn

Yes this isn't exclusive to the games industry. But obviously its fascinating to see how impacting game development.
And it’s not exclusive to the West. I work with plenty devs out of Southeast Asia and ton of them don’t know shit just as much as devs in the West. Of course you have folks that are really good too, but so do you in the West.

It’s not a West issue. A ton of people got into Dev and IT who just don’t know what the f they are doing. But companies need bodies so even if someone is meh, companies can still charge for them, managers buff up their teams, etc…

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Is anyone surprised at all? Back then this industry was dominated by geeks/gamers who knew and loved what they did. Now you have diversity hires and political propagandists instead. The industry will implode sooner or later, the signs are obvious.

I’m pretty sure people with connections get hired and they’re usually chilling to make sure the project takes as long as possible to complete so they continue getting paid at least I think that’s how they do it with some tech government work especially with international workers on a visa wouldn’t be surprised if that’s how it goes with video games ppl got to pay off their mortgages their incentive to do work quickly is pretty low unless it’s a proven franchise that you know is gonna sell millions like Nintendo developers don’t have to worry about being canned after a game releases cuz they know it’ll sell millions

AAA games take longer to make but the tools allow for some superb indie and AA games to be made as well...the industry is in a great place.
Is anyone surprised at all? Back then this industry was dominated by geeks/gamers who knew and loved what they did. Now you have diversity hires and political propagandists instead. The industry will implode sooner or later, the signs are obvious.

373026294_3524657487782078_1334408284244603408_n.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s not a West issue. A ton of people got into Dev and IT who just don’t know what the f they are doing. But companies need bodies so even if someone is meh, companies can still charge for them, managers buff up their teams, etc…
I was thinking maybe that too. There's so much tech jobs in demand since the dot com boom happened in 1999, maybe the way the labour pool and jobs available are such a way companies need to hire nitwits to do something.

I'll also take a guess that a lot of these tech jobs, there isn't a thorough interview process where you get grilled for 3-4 rounds testing your skills, personality, and how good you are just being a normal person talking to the interviewers.

So if you got great coding skills, but they dont screen for good attitudes then companies kind of brought that amongst themselves. Because in every job filled the company should want someone with good attitudes too who arent combative or outright assholes. If that's the case there's no point of even interviewing. Just hand in a resume an the best resume wins.

For all you tech industry workers, does HR or interviewers care about that? I know in my industry they do and we arent tech. I do finance and the interview process is one part proving I can do analysis and one part conversation and personality. Might not sound right since at the end of the day I stare at a screen doing spreadsheets, but the companies still want people who are collaborative and look like they'll fit in.

In government it is exactly the case for filling bodies. My friend even said so. I'd ask him why some departments are so slow or mess up. His example was the Canadian federal government had issues paying people because their oddball payroll system kept fucking up. I told him why doesn't the gov just go with a big company like ADP who handles all this shit, and why cant the gov fix it despite endless people?

His answer was simple: When you got to hire a giant number of people, they cant be all good. So for the companies we work at, the company can cherry pick the best people knowing they just need to fill an office of a couple hundred people spread out across departments. The gov might have to hire 2000 or 20000. There's no way all of them are good, but a body has to be there to do something.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
What the hell are you smoking? The whole world is not some agenda driven conspiracy led by people you hate.

One of the projects I work on is modeling systems. I can do what one person on our teams takes a month to do poorly in a few hours. These people do exist but everyone is shocked by it. It is a rare case of utter incompetence. I highly doubt that this one whiner is representative of the industry. I also assume that what Tim is talking about is in relation to his experience coding very simple games compared to what we have today. Without knowing the details, I would expect that altering the game's AI significantly would actually impact a lot of systems and while the coding change might be relatively straight forward, integrating that into the games systems would require a lot of tuning.

I am going to put this out there. I think the real problem is these old leaders have no fucking clue how much more complex the games are today and how difficult it is to make them fun and engaging to gamers that have been gaming for decades. They are still designing things like it is 2002 and think they are gods when really there design ideas suck. Tod Howard led a pile of shit that is really just a fresh layer of diarrhea on top of decades of the hardened turds that is the old Morrowind / Oblivion system. To actually make Starfield good, Bethesda would need to bring in someone who is not an arrogant prick who did something good 20 years ago when games could be rolled out in a year or 18 months. These assholes have way too much influence and no concept of what innovation or leadership is.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Relevant Steve Jobs quote.

Never saw that video, but it's so true.

A lot of people now just want to coast. And if someone calls them out on it, their response will be something like "Dont oppress me" or "why are you acting like a company man?"

Some of this isn't even skillset, but effort and being proactive and wanting to succeed. So that's why i said above the part about personality. A coaster doesn't give a shit. But technically, he might be talented. This kind of employee is one where you hope he does a good job and stays in his corner all day because the second he interacts with coworkers or bosses, he's an entitled asshole. Permanent WFH schedule. Yup. Perfect fit.

But other people can clock in, get paid, hope nobody notices what a shit job he's doing and repeat. And hope nobody fires him. That's why when things like layoffs and being fired come up, the people who care the most are fringe workers because they know it might be a tough slog getting a job. If I get fired, who gives a shit. I'll get a pay out and score another job elsewhere. Happened to me already in the 2000s in a downsizing. Got a job so fast I didn't even get to collect one unemployment cheque pay out. As long as someone has a half decent job you'll get severance pay. It's like hitting the lottery if you can get a new job soon. You coudlnt imagine how many laid off coworkers I know loved being laid off, since they'd get $100,000 and just get a new job a few months later. But that person who has a bad track record is panicking how long the severance pay will last.

At my finance job, there are days I do a normal boring day of work. Do some emails, some spreadsheets, zero meetings that day. Fuck, I'll surf the net or post on GAF. Who cares.

But then there are times it's big time busy where I need to be on my game like next year prelim financials. My colleagues and I are in meetings all day for a month straight. One part meticulous work, one part chatting with people, one part fixing other people dumbass mistakes. Wrap it all up and present this shit to execs and pray me and my coworkers didn't make a mistake.

Sounds like a pain in the ass right? Well kind of, but as Steve Jobs said like his Mac days, it's actually the most fun work I do at my job even though it's technically the hardest part of the year and the most important thing for the company's projections.

But for a coaster, that workload would be too much work and meetings.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I dunno, this sounds a bit of a weird scenario.

45mins versus 4 weeks is such a crazy time differential I literally cannot imagine it being a simple matter of capability. People who aren't very talented at coding also tend to overvalue their own ability, or underestimate the amount of time its going to take.

I'd also say that any studio who hired someone that useless for that role, would surely have made the same catastrophic error in their other hires. And if that's the case, how the fuck would literally anything be getting done anywhere? And even then it would be a failure in management more than anything.

Suggesting that its somehow standard for the studio, let alone the industry as a whole seems implausible to me, to say the least.

Could it have been the person he asked had literally 4 weeks of work pre-scheduled and was just being a dick about someone adding more random work to their task-list? That I can see happening. And in such an instance its hard to say who's in the right, and in the wrong.

Last edited:

simpatico

I think games are best made when a few people have extreme amounts of creative control. Like 1-5, usually with the lower being better. This was a norm until recently. Everything is melted down by a committee and rendered into pablum. All the visionary types are going indie because for them, the control is not an option. Big studios won't do it, they can't help but control. Investor money is on the line after all, and frankly a lot of corporate people don't have anything meaningful to do all day. (sure, they do have full schedules technically, but they don't truly drive the company).

Tim Cain is a perfect example. He drove the grand evolution of CRPGs. They don't get the credit, but that crew at Black Isle is almost as important for RPGs as iD was for shooters.

Last edited:
Could it have been the person he asked had literally 4 weeks of work pre-scheduled and was just being a dick about someone adding more random work to their task-list? That I can see happening. And in such an instance its hard to say who's in the right, and in the wrong.
There’s probably more to that story indeed.
It’s not like “ok, who’s sitting on their hands? I need some code..”.

He’s praising Indie devs and scolding the AAA industry. Yet he’s working for the latter and not making games on his own?

So, lazy devs. Not surprised. I guess this is where AI should help, weeding out the need for all these low tier programmers.
Have you ever seen The Consultant? I think of most game developers when I see that series and think that's probably what's going on at most of them.

You know the old saying in life.... "sometimes it's better to do it yourself"

A lot of people out there are lazy, unskilled, or just plain idiots. It makes no sense that farming out some tasks to someone else takes longer to do than doing it yourself (along with the other tasks you already have on your plate to finish), but sometimes it's better to do it yourself because you know it'll get done, done right and on time. A lot of people have no respect helping other people so they take their time or dont give a shit.

There's some tasks and reporting I do for other departments because the idiots there couldnt figure out their own systems. So it got to a point the VP of my department told me (wink wink), if I can just keep doing it so it's seamless and on time.
He better be paying you more or giving you a promotion of some kind, otherwise you are just doing the jobs of others without appropriate compensation.

Topher

Gold Member
Great video. Funny thing about that developer story is that I've seen that exact same scenario before. Everyone knows people who are slackers. Some developers I've worked with have tried to claim a job will take much longer than it will actually take and they are dependent on the ignorance of the management to get away with it. In this case, the guy running the show ain't ignorant and he called out bullshit when it needed to be.

bender

What time is it?
After his three examples, he gets to the root of what I've felt is the problem with modern game development: budgets. With so much money riding on these AAA productions, one failure can wipe a studio out. That's going to make most everyone play it safe and stifle creativity. There are a lot of reasons to these inflated budgets, but with team sizes so large, it's hard to get singular creative vision to fruition which wasn't the case twenty years ago. There are exceptions of course (Kojima comes to mind), but I'd really like to go back to the time when a million units sold was considered a smashing success.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Great video. Funny thing about that developer story is that I've seen that exact same scenario before. Everyone knows people who are slackers. Some developers I've worked with have tried to claim a job will take much longer than it will actually take and they are dependent on the ignorance of the management to get away with it. In this case, the guy running the show ain't ignorant and he called out bullshit when it needed to be.
Bullshitters everywhere.

Just got to hope someone has the knowledge or intuition to call them out on it. I don’t have tech experience so what do I know if a coder says 4 weeks?

But if I’m setting company targets and a sales guy says the target of $10M I calculated for him is too high due to falling sales trends, I’d just check what’s going on. We’ll according to me your sales trend is fine, you got a new product line launching and supply chain had fully caught up so no more out of stocks. Add all that together and it looks like $10M to me. Prove me wrong or fuck off.

Nice try at getting a negative growth target.

Last edited:
Top Bottom